Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I liable for previous tenants bills??

Options
  • 26-06-2018 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭

I’m having an issue with Airtrcity. I moved into my Council house in December. The previous tennant passed away I’ve no idea if she had family. In November there was a lock put on the gas I’ve don’t know why can only assume bills weren’t paid. She was an elderly lady so it’s possible she was struggling.

Someone I am assuming the Council as they had to do lots of work on the house broke the lock off the meter. One of the holds up on my moving in was a gas issue!!

Anyway fast forward to May and I get a call from Airtricty to say the meter is dangerous as it was broken illegally so they need to come and lock it. They told me it would cost me €75 to have the lock fixed and replaced and then a further €75 to get it removed so I can use my gas. I explained I didn’t break the lock nor would I know what it looks like or how to find it! Also explained that I wasn’t a tenant when it was put on and that I was not paying to have it replaced and then removed!

I moved in signed up to airtricty for gas and electric and it was working. Am I right in thinking at that stage they should have explained about the lock. Told me about the charge? How can I be expected to pay for damage I didn’t do and a lock that I wasn’t responsible for getting?

Sorry for the rambling post I’m just fuming. I know it’s ok now it’s summer. But I don’t have that kind of money spare and I’m going to need heat in winter. Seen as they have relocked my gas I’ll have none.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

You will need to pay to have it restored,if I moved in to a house and found an issue with the gas I wouldn't hesitate to have it fixed. Their position will be it will cost to have it fixed and since the old tenant cant be chased, the bill lies with you. You could try the council as they would be responsible for the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,015 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No way around the payment as the locks are Networks, but I wouldn't hesitate to ask the council to pay if their works team broke it pre tenancy

You aren't liable for any previous tenants actual gas bills, though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭danois

That’s the thing tho if it had of been mentioned when I signed up i wouldn’t have minded. Well I would cause it’s not my fault it’s on but I’d of obviously paid to have it safely removed. It’s just so frustrating that I’ve to now pay for it to be put on and taken back off! I’ll approach the Council. See what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Cedric87 wrote: »
    You will need to pay to have it restored,if I moved in to a house and found an issue with the gas I wouldn't hesitate to have it fixed. Their position will be it will cost to have it fixed and since the old tenant cant be chased, the bill lies with you. You could try the council as they would be responsible for the property.

And how exactly can you be held responsible for the alleged contractual shortcomings of someone else who coincidentally happened to have lived at the same address as you do now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Cedric87 wrote: »

This is absolutely terrible, and untrue advice. Airtricity can't apportion liability to the OP for the actions of third parties who are not acting as agents for the OP(the previous tenant, and the council).

That's like saying if you bought a house from who had died, that the neighbours could chase you for the deceased having scratched their car 5 months previously. Its absolute nonsense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement