Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genuinely good movies that have went under the radar?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

Don't know if it's been mentioned already but The Pledge would be a good one that went under the radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Todd Solondz has made some good films since Welcome To The Dollhouse and Happiness. While those are still his two best ones I enjoyed Life During Wartime (sequel to happiness) and Dark Horse especially. Palindromes and Weiner Dog were good as well.

But with his stuff, you're either a fan or you hate it. It's very dark comedy and misanthropic but I think it's brilliant the way he skewers humanity.

If you haven't heard of his films, search on YouTube for 'Happiness opening scene' to get a feel for what he does, he focuses particularly on outsiders, losers, people with sexual proclivities etc. Happiness features a great performance by the late Philip Seymour Hoffman. A lot of people were put off by the way it 'humanized' a pedophile character but I think it's a very incisive film and a great piece of art.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Not sure if this went under the radar per se because the people I know who have seen it thought it was really good but Frailty is rarely mentioned when discussing Matthew McCounaghey films - I thought it was excellent and should have a lot more attention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Oh, that McConnaughey reference reminds me that I meant to bring up Mud in this thread. Very good film back at the start of the McConnaissance.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ Gerald Bald Publisher

This or any Larry Blamire film... a criminally underappreciated spoofer of 50s B movies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Not sure if this went under the radar per se because the people I know who have seen it thought it was really good but Frailty is rarely mentioned when discussing Matthew McCounaghey films - I thought it was excellent and should have a lot more attention

Ive always thought that and Identity with John Cusack were good enough to be better known.

I read some stuff on here about Kill List so I tracked it down. Still not sure 6 months later if it was good or bad, but it was certainly memorable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

This or any Larry Blamire film... a criminally underappreciated spoofer of 50s B movies...

Speaking of comedy horrors, The Burbs (1989) is one I'm sure very few have seen.

tomofson wrote:
    Speaking of comedy horros, The Burbs (1989) is one I'm sure very few have seen.

Ah man, the burbs is a classic! Surely if you're of a certain vintage you'd know this movie?

Maybe I'm wrong and just assuming most people would because I think it's so deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Titanic, with Leonardo Di Caprio & Kate Winslet was very good. I loved the way they brought the modern day Rose out to the area of the sinking all those years later...

• Advertisement

Titanic, with Leonardo Di Caprio & Kate Winslet was very good. I loved the way they brought the modern day Rose out to the area of the sinking all those years later...

yeah this was good

and a lot less better known than a lot of the movies on the list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yep, that hidden gem really flew under the radar with it's $2 billion at the box office and literally being the highest grossing film of all time. :confused:

Yep, that hidden gem really flew under the radar with it's $2 billion at the box office and literally being the highest grossing film of all time. :confused:

The Joke

You

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Joke

You

I wasn't referring to your post, I was talking about the post that mentioned Titanic.

The Joke

You

I wasn't referring to your post, I was talking about the post that mentioned Titanic.

As was I.

Read the Titanic posts again. They are jokes making fun of some of the "big" movies that have been mentioned in this thread. The only one who thought they were serious was you. Hence, you missed the joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Did "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" go under the radar? I remember it got glowing reviews but don't think it was very big commercially. RDJ and Val Kilmers are superb

Another great one with Kilmer is Narc, superb cop thriller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeh, 'Narc' is excellent. But Jason Patric and Ray Liotta are in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭tastyt

30 days of night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Not sure if its already mentioned, but "Look who's Back" isa phenomenal black comedy take on Hitler

Very difficult subject for a comedy, but exceptionally well made and gives you a different perspective into his personality. Well worth watching. Quite deep in parts.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/look_whos_back_2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

The Three burials of Melquiades Estrada.

very fine film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Rapa nui. A Kevin Costner movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Another is "I Spit on your Grave" horror, but enthralling. Follow ups 2&3 were poor, but original was excellent. Usually om horror channel every now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭redrums

Train to busan is very good korean zombie film

A man his estranged daughter and other passengers become trapped on a speeding train during a zombie outbreak in South Korea.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,704 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I enjoyed "a ghost story" but definitely not a mainstream movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Was "The Hills Have Eyes" considerd a success?

Was a kinda freaky horror film.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Was "The Hills Have Eyes" considerd a success?

Was a kinda freaky horror film.

Depends which one you are talking about, very few people even know about the one made in the 70's

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yeh, 'Narc' is excellent. But Jason Patric and Ray Liotta are in that.

Have never seen it, played the video game years ago though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Most horror aficionado would have heard of "The Hills Have Eyes" I'd say, it's thought of in fairly high esteem in those circles so whatever about its financial success at the time, Craven's film definitely exists above the radar so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

Jack Goes Boating starring and directed by Philip Seymour Hoffman (the only film he directed). It's not a classic, instead it's just one of those odd little indie comedy-dramas that the US does so well. I've spoken to many Hoffmann fans who didn't realise he ever directed a picture, so for that reason alone it may interest some of you.

Another of Hoffman's little-seen pictures is Love Liza where be battles with substance abuse and depression. Again, not an outstanding film but it contains a fine central performance that may have slipped under the radar for at least some Hoffman fans.

Finally, Hard Eight (known as Sydney in the US) directed by Paul Thomas Anderson (and also featuring Hoffman in a small role). This is more widely known than the above two but I still feel like it never gets the attention it deserves. Anderson is really finding his feet here, very much in depth to Scorsese. But it's a solid crime film all the same and Philip Baker Hall is excellent in it as Sydney.

Trvia: Hall is essentially playing an expanded version of his minor role of 'Sidney' (notice the different spelling) from Midnight Run, which itself is a very enjoyable Robert De and Charles Grodin film that seems to have been forgotten about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ballyargus

13 Days

Advertisement