Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genuinely good movies that have went under the radar?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Brilliant film!
    Paddy Considine is amazing.

Tyrannosaur very good too. But disturbing.

Show you how good paddy considine is.. i fúcking hate the sight of him after his part in peaky blinders

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Peatys wrote: »
    Show you how good paddy considine is.. i fúcking hate the sight of him after his part in peaky blinders

Yeah? I haven't watched that. I know people rave about it, but, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Another oldie but it just sprung to mind when I seen this thread So I married an Axe Murderer. ITV used to repeat it constantly in the mid to late nineties but I very rarely hear of it nowadays considering it was one of my favourite comedy at the time. Some great cameos as well especially from the late Phil Hartman.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Peatys wrote: »

Another great Paddy Considine movie I have to give a shout out to is A room for Romeo Brass. He was bloody terrifying in that. Difficult movie to track down though. Shane Meadows first feature I think who also directed him in Dead Mans Shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I enjoyed Hearts in Atlantis (2001). An adaptation of the Stephen King story. It was like a mildly supernatural 'Stand by Me'.

Near Dark (1987) is a vampire film by Kathryn Bigelow. Unluckily, it was released two months after The Lost Boys. Didn't perform well at the box office because of the stiff competition.

Eight Men Out (1988). A good sports story about the infamous 1919 Chicago White Sox match fixing scandal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Warrior

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Don't know if it's been mentioned already but The Pledge would be a good one that went under the radar.
    Great turn by Jack, he really reins himself in for once.
    About Schmidt is another good Nicholson flick. Not sure how well known it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Whiplash is seriously underrated also. J.K. Simmons is just awesome in it.

Whiplash is currently 8.6/10 on IMDB and 94% on Rotten Tomatoes.

How is that underrated?

Here are my "underrated and under the radar" movie suggestions:

The Departed
    Titanic
    Pulp Fiction
    Gone with the Wind

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

and how could I forget

"The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou"

A beautiful film, but
    just for the soundtrack alone
    worthy of many plaudits.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I don't think a lot of people in this thread understand the word "underrated" or the phrase "under the radar".

• Advertisement

do enlighten us, Hunky :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

My pick would be Nightcrawler

Got 95% on rotten tomatoes but yet so many people I speak to about it never ever heard of the movie and there wasn’t great hype

Just an interesting movie

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    do enlighten us, Hunky

Look at the last few pages.
    I've made my suggestions here.

wally1990 wrote: »
    My pick would be Nightcrawler

Got 95% on rotten tomatoes but yet so many people I speak to about it never ever heard of the movie and there wasn’t great hype

Just an interesting movie

Apart from the Oscar/Bafta and Golden Globes nominations it was unheard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Saw a film recently called Jaws. It's about a shark that attacks a seaside town. I don't want to say any more in case I spoil it, but give it a look. Barely any of my friends have seen it so it seems to be a pretty under the radar film. I thought it was very good but the trick photography wasn't the best. They should have used CGI really.

Hunky

Apologies. My eyes did not stretch back to the "Titanic" comment.

I quite concur. Under the sea, maybe, but not under the radar!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

A couple of lesser-known films starring Michael Fassbender films are well worth a look.

Eden lake is one of his earlier films. A horror of sorts, minus any supernatural elements, about a couple who go to a forest and are hunted down by a group of chavs. Another more recent one of his is a slow-burning Western imaginatively titled Slow West which I also remember being fairly good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Donkey Punch

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭siblers

A couple of lesser-known films starring Michael Fassbender films are well worth a look.

Eden lake is one of his earlier films. A horror of sorts, minus any supernatural elements, about a couple who go to a forest and are hunted down by a group of chavs. Another more recent one of his is a slow-burning Western imaginatively titled Slow West which I also remember being fairly good.

Fish Tank is really good too, somewhat bleak but well worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Eden Lake is really far, far better than it had any right to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

My Left Foot. Irish film about a handicapped guy who likes painting. If there was any justice the main actor would have been in loads of stuff but I suppose there's not enough parts for handicapped people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,796 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

pinksoir wrote: »
    My Left Foot. Irish film about a handicapped guy who likes painting. If there was any justice the main actor would have been in loads of stuff but I suppose there's not enough parts for handicapped people.
    ZING!

Yeah he has been in absolutely nothing since....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

neirbloom wrote: »
    Another great Paddy Considine movie I have to give a shout out to is A room for Romeo Brass. He was bloody terrifying in that. Difficult movie to track down though. Shane Meadows first feature I think who also directed him in Dead Mans Shoes.

Fantastic film. First one I saw Considine in. Great (and as you say, terrifying!) performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

The Dam Busters. Totally under the radar. Great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Boondock Saints first one was a bloody classic Willem Defoe and Billy Connolly were in it. Man on the Moon biopic of Andy Kaufman under appreciated film.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Legend of 1900 Tim Roth film bloody brilliant he is an underused actor now adays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

I've a feeling that this comment will woosh over the heads of many younger contributers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I can't remember if that was a blockbuster or if it bombed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Note sure if these have been mentioned or how under the radar they have gone but I wouldn't consider them very mainstream.

Chaos - Decent little crime thriller, acting was a bit ropey but story wise, I enjoyed it.

The Edge - A battle of wits between Anthony Hopkins and Alex Baldwin with a killer bear thrown in.

Sunshine - Not sure how under the radar this movie went. I really liked this on second viewing, some great characters and a killer soundtrack.

The I Inside - Great mystery movie I was surprised with.

Coherence - Good Sci-Fi mystery, bit of a slow burn but very interesting.

Triangle - Watched this a few time and still don't really get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Kolido wrote: »

Triangle - Watched this a few time and still don't really get it.

Great show - think I mentioned it before. The problem with telling people that it's not the slasher it may appear to be on the surface, is that it's very difficult to actually describe the plot without giving away the central plot point (and many reviews do just this) - suffice to say it's perhaps got more in common with Memento than Friday the 13th.

Advertisement