Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genuinely good movies that have went under the radar?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Special Bulletin anyone ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ebbsy wrote: »
    Thank god somebody mentioned Dredd. Great film.

Fun fact: they're finally making a MegaCity One TV series, though no confirmation yet whether Karl Urban will reprise the role as Dredd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

William Friedkins To Live and Die In L.A is a cop drama masterpiece on a par with his previous genre effort, The French Connection. Not withstanding some seriously cheesey 80's dialogue it is well worth a look, with an impressive villainous turn from a young Willem Defoe. Friedkin also makes an honourable attempt at usurping The French Connection's title of the greatest cinema car chase of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Has The Grey been mentioned? I thought it was a great film, but didn't seem to set the box office on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Paper Mask circa 1990

Paul McGann, Amanda Donohoe and Tom Wilkinson

about a hospital orderly who always wanted to be a doctor, so he chances his arm by taking the identity of a recently deceased doctor and gets a job in a busy hospital...at first he performs admirably but soon enough everything turns pear shaped,

its worth a watch if only for Amanda Donohoe in her prime corrrrrrrrrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Withnail & I

you're all Montys for not mentioning it before now you terrible. ...

Galaxy Quest

Tim Allen and Alan Rickman steal the show entirely, dry bastards the pair of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Withnail & I

Withnail and I is one of the greatest films of all time.

It's not underrated at all? Has a massive cult following and all of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Withnail & I

Ah here...

It's considered one of the greatest British comedies of all time. It most definitely did not go under the radar.

It did go under the radar as much as Dredd did or several other films listed here, people of a certain age would know it but how many Harry Potter fans would know who Uncle Monty is, Richard Griffiths is Uncle Vernon to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

What about a docu - Searching for Sugarman? Brilliant story. To say much else would be to ruin it. Never really hear people talking about it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

steamsey wrote: »
    What about a docu - Searching for Sugarman? Brilliant story. To say much else would be to ruin it. Never really hear people talking about it.

100% agree, excellent docu.

But not sure under the radar, it was award winning.

But for anyone who hasn't seen it..... Need I say more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

In Dreams, Robert Downey Jr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

steamsey wrote: »

Heard about this through word of mouth. Great story, awesome soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another vote for Searching for Sugarman here, great film. Fantastic music.

It did go under the radar as much as Dredd did or several other films listed here, people of a certain age would know it but how many Harry Potter fans would know who Uncle Monty is, Richard Griffiths is Uncle Vernon to them.

Just because the film's popularity may have dipped slightly in recent times doesn't mean that a film hasn't had justifiable praise and success in the past. It would be like saying Citizen Kane has gone under the radar.

Upgrade, starring Logan Marshall Green from that other great movie that has gone under the radar, The Invitation. Set in the near future, a mechanic and his wife have their car hacked and crashed in a bad neighborhood where his wife is killed and he is paralysed and left for dead. He is given the opportunity to have an experimental implant in to cure his paralysis which leads him to talking revenge on the people that murdered his wife.

It doesn't reinvent the wheel as a sci-fi movie but it is an exciting ride once the main character gets his upgrade with plenty of action and a dash of gore. It has touches of 70s sci-fi throughout with the story and the soundtrack and it revels in its B movie nature with a funny take on the fighting scenes. Well worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Some fabulous shouts in this thread.

I watched American Psycho at the weekend. I definitely think AP can’t be classed as a movie that went under the radar but it’s sister film “The Rules Of Attraction” can. Based of a novel by the same author. Think it’s one of those that probably threw people off by the trailers and it’s lead, James Van Der Beek. It all looked a bit teen movie-ish. But it’s quite dark and wholly entertaining.

Another movie that I would rate highly that never gets a mention is The Nineth Gate staring Johnny Depp. A thriller based around the acult and the dark arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Some fabulous shouts in this thread.

I watched American Psycho at the weekend. I definitely think AP can’t be classed as a movie that went under the radar but it’s sister film “The Rules Of Attraction” can. Based of a novel by the same author. Think it’s one of those that probably threw people off by the trailers and it’s lead, James Van Der Beek. It all looked a bit teen movie-ish. But it’s quite dark and wholly entertaining.

Another movie that I would rate highly that never gets a mention is The Nineth Gate staring Johnny Depp. A thriller based around the acult and the dark arts.

The ninth gate has almost 150,000 votes on IMDB,

Amrican psycho has over 400,000, neither of these movies went under the radar.

I never heard of the rules of attraction so I guess you could say this did, and I would usually hear of most movies, even ones others wouldn't have known.

Rules of Attraction was class rave scene in Dublin and the subtext crazy film from start to finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,796 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Upgrade, starring Logan Marshall Green from that other great movie that has gone under the radar, The Invitation. Set in the near future, a mechanic and his wife have their car hacked and crashed in a bad neighborhood where his wife is killed and he is paralysed and left for dead. He is given the opportunity to have an experimental implant in to cure his paralysis which leads him to talking revenge on the people that murdered his wife.

It doesn't reinvent the wheel as a sci-fi movie but it is an exciting ride once the main character gets his upgrade with plenty of action and a dash of gore. It has touches of 70s sci-fi throughout with the story and the soundtrack and it revels in its B movie nature with a funny take on the fighting scenes. Well worth a watch
    I thought the trailer for Upgrade looked excellent, and thought it kind of disappeared.
    But looks like it getting a UK/ireland release
    https://scannain.com/upcoming-irish-cinema-release-dates/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

tomofson wrote: »
    The ninth gate has almost 150,000 votes on IMDB,

Amrican psycho has over 400,000, neither of these movies went under the radar.

I never heard of the rules of attraction so I guess you could say this did, and I would usually hear of most movies, even ones others wouldn't have known.

That takes me back.....I actually saw The Ninth Gate in the Cinema on original release.

Jeez, I'm being kind by saying it was silly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I watched Eden Lake based on what I read in here, the last 20 minutes or so are very good but what preceded it was pretty routine. Kelly Reilly was very good in it to be fair.

siblers wrote: »
    I watched Eden Lake based on what I read in here, the last 20 minutes or so are very good but what preceded it was pretty routine. Kelly Reilly was very good in it to be fair.
    That film...bloody traumatized me a bit...I normally love horror films...but think it was a bit too realistic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭siblers

gmisk wrote: »
    That film...bloody traumatized me a bit...I normally love horror films...but think it was a bit too realistic
    The demise of Michael Fassbender was particularly brutal, when they stabbed him as he was tied up wasn't very nice to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Few great shouts in the last few pages - Train to Busan, Nightcrawler, The Grey, Dredd - all excellent.

Couple more here:

The Fall
    Best looking film I've ever seen. So many incredible images.

Pi
    Darren Aronofsky's first film. Mind-bending mathematics, conspiracy theories and excellent soundtrack.

Dark Days
    Documentary about the people living in New York's train tunnels. Absolutely fascinating look at homelessness and the various reasons people can end up in a terrible situation. DJ Shadow did the soundtrack.

Monsters
    Maybe not totally under the radar, but nobody I know has seen it. Excellent sci-fi movie from Gareth Edwards. Jon Hopkins soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

I have to second Pi, very quirky but awesome weird movie, which I remember watching and thinks “what the actual ****?”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Stander is a decent drama/thriller about a South African cop who turn to robbing banks. Wouldn't imagine a lot have heard of it.

The Lookout another good drama/thriller staring Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Both shows I would consider decent and not well known.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I imagine very few round here have seen The Raid or it's sequel.

If you like a good action movie I highly recommend both. Excellent fighting sequences.

Made in Indonesia so theres subtitles. Rumors abound of an American remake.

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »

The Lookout another good drama/thriller staring Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Both shows I would consider decent and not well known.
    Such a good film!

Advertisement