Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genuinely good movies that have went under the radar?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭stormthecastle

ballyargus wrote: »
    Definition would help. To qualify as "under the radar", surely something must have not been both:

a) up for any awards
    &
    b) a commercial success

I think a lot of people posting assume movies made more than 10 years ago must be under the radar as they are too young to remember them or their popularity at the time or since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

ballyargus wrote: »
    Definition would help. To qualify as "under the radar", surely something must have not been both:

a) up for any awards
    &
    b) a commercial success

I would add 'doesn't have a cult following' to that definition as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ballyargus

I would add 'doesn't have a cult following' to that definition as well.

Funny, I thought that myself not long after posting

• Registered Users Posts: 20,760 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

mikhail wrote: »
    NIMAN wrote: »
    If you had mentioned Dredd to me I would have thought the Stallone one.

I didn't even know one was made in 2012.

so worth a watch I guess?
    Definitely. The plot is simple, remniscient of The Raid if you know that - Dredd gets trapped in a building and has to fight his way to the top to get out. Relentless action and an exciting score make it one of my favourite action movies of the decade. Fans of the comic books were much happier with this interpretation too, from Urban's committed performance as Dredd to the darker tone.
    Real shame they never made the sequel .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

one of the best british dramas i seen was "wild bill"
    please do not watch the trailer...it sells it as something it is definetly not ..i can only assume it was made for an american audience (the trailer)...it makes it look like a light hearted comedy, which it very much is not.

the film itself is a hard hitting, suspenseful drama...a good storyline...superb acting...and an emotional ending.

trust me, worth the watch....trust me, not the trailer :)

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1795702/reviews?ref_=m_tt_urv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,760 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

mikhail wrote: »
    NIMAN wrote: »
    If you had mentioned Dredd to me I would have thought the Stallone one.

I didn't even know one was made in 2012.

so worth a watch I guess?
    Definitely. The plot is simple, remniscient of The Raid if you know that - Dredd gets trapped in a building and has to fight his way to the top to get out. Relentless action and an exciting score make it one of my favourite action movies of the decade. Fans of the comic books were much happier with this interpretation too, from Urban's committed performance as Dredd to the darker tone.
    A little off topic but instead of a sequel this will no be a series, starring Urban , Mega City One,

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭judestynes

Boondock saints

Girl with all the gifts

Ganster # 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Real shame they never made the sequel .

Tv show is in the works though apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

dougm1970 wrote: »
    one of the best british dramas i seen was "wild bill"
    please do not watch the trailer...it sells it as something it is definetly not ..i can only assume it was made for an american audience (the trailer)...it makes it look like a light hearted comedy, which it very much is not.

the film itself is a hard hitting, suspenseful drama...a good storyline...superb acting...and an emotional ending.

trust me, worth the watch....trust me, not the trailer :)

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1795702/reviews?ref_=m_tt_urv

Wild Bill is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Wild Bill is indeed very good, definitely worth a watch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Mr Brookes . Kevin Costner as a serial killer

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Would Alpha Dog count?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

GreeBo wrote: »
    Would Alpha Dog count?

It was heavily promoted at the time, thought it was a damp squib myself. Sometimes a true story isn't worth telling.

Would Alpha Dog count?

Probably, but he'd have to use his paws... or fingers... or paw fingers? I don't know...

Would Alpha Dog count?

No. It was neither great nor went under the radar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Mary and Max

An excellent cast (Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Toni Collette and Eric Bana) Mary and Max is a claymation/stop-motion film that tells the story of a twenty year pen pal relationship between a little girl in Australia and an American in his 40's who has Asperger's - it's brilliant

I'd never heard of it until a friend of mine put me onto it a few years ago, now I'm aware that me not hearing of a film doesn't mean it went under the radar but I've never heard it mentioned anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

The Spanish Prisoner

Excellent con-man thriller full of twists and turns. I remember this ran for around 6 months in the Screen cinema back in the late 90's, because I went to it 3 times. But still it seems to be almost totally unknown. Steve Martin is brilliant in a straight role.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,057 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Shooting Fish from 1997 starring Stuart Townsend & Kate Beckinsale is funny con\caper movie.

Keeping with Kate Beckinsale, she's very good in these two Whit Stillman movies:
    - The Last Days of Disco (looking back at the early 80s)

- For Love & Money (period drama, filmed in Ireland)

And these John Sayles movies are worth a look:

- Limbo starring David Strathairn, I don't want to say too much about this one as I think it's best to watch it 'cold'

- Honeydripper starring Danny Glover set in the black music scene of 1950s Deep South

- Lone Star starring Chris Cooper, as a Sherriff on the Texas border

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The Prestige?

The Prestige?

Ah shtap

• Advertisement

Mary and Max

An excellent cast (Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Toni Collette and Eric Bana) Mary and Max is a claymation/stop-motion film that tells the story of a twenty year pen pal relationship between a little girl in Australia and an American in his 40's who has Asperger's - it's brilliant

I'd never heard of it until a friend of mine put me onto it a few years ago, now I'm aware that me not hearing of a film doesn't mean it went under the radar but I've never heard it mentioned anywhere else

I watched by pure chance a while back and thought it was very good.

It was definitely under the radar for me was at least 5 or 6 years old when I first seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

When Lawn Dogs came out in 1997, it garnered some critical acclaim and won some minor festival awards, but then it dropped off the radar almost entirely. I remember it as the film that put Sam Rockwell on the map; his character is a landscaper in an upscale community, who becomes platonic friends with a 10-year-old girl living there (Mischa Barton in her film debut). The residents are understandably suspicious, complicated by issues of class and culture.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I saw the devil, it’s a Korean movie but well worth a watch.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

bnt wrote: »
    When Lawn Dogs came out in 1997, it garnered some critical acclaim and won some minor festival awards, but then it dropped off the radar almost entirely. I remember it as the film that put Sam Rockwell on the map; his character is a landscaper in an upscale community, who becomes platonic friends with a 10-year-old girl living there (Mischa Barton in her film debut). The residents are understandably suspicious, complicated by issues of class and culture.

Yeah, that was a fantastic film that really deserved to get a bit more recognition. Rockwell was fantastic in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,057 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

bnt wrote: »

+1

And actually that reminds me of Beautiful Girls from 1996 which starred Matt Dillon, Uma Thurman and had a similar side plot with Timothy Hutton and Natalie Portman.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115639/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_53

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I really loved Ladyhawke with Rutger Hauer, Michelle Pfeiffer and Matthew Broderick. Its a fantasy film set in medieval times. A few people posted about it here in other threads before but I rarely hear any mention of the film and it's a lovely story.

Yeah, that was a fantastic film that really deserved to get a bit more recognition. Rockwell was fantastic in it.

Rockwell is usually brilliant ,off hand I can't think of any poor performances from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

How about Pain and Gain? I avoided it when it came out, because it's by Michael Bay, and looked pretty dumb, but I watched on TV a few nights ago, and thought it was great. A very funny, fast-moving caper movie, with some good comic performances, especially from Wahlberg, and The Rock. A decent Michael Bay movie...how shocking! :pac:

How about Pain and Gain? I avoided it when it came out, because it's by Michael Bay, and looked pretty dumb, but I watched on TV a few nights ago, and thought it was great. A very funny, fast-moving caper movie, with some good comic performances, especially from Wahlberg, and The Rock. A decent Michael Bay movie...how shocking! :pac:

Yeah it was a solid movie alright, but it was hardly great, nor did it go under the radar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Well, I thought it was great, and it went under my radar :)

Advertisement