Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genuinely good movies that have went under the radar?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Speaking of The Rock, 2 of his better and less known movies are Faster and Snitch. Both worth a watch imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

yabadabado wrote: »
    Rockwell is usually brilliant ,off hand I can't think of any poor performances from him.

Poltergeist remake, for the sake of my sanity (and adoration of Rockwell) I will always believe he knew it would be ****e and just phoned it in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Kolido wrote: »
    Speaking of The Rock, 2 of his better and less known movies are Faster and Snitch. Both worth a watch imo.

I just read up on them; pretty decent reviews. I'm going to check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Both Snitch and Faster are on Netflix, Faster being the superior of the two.

I’m just out of a showing of Upgrade, featuring poor man’s Tom Hardy, aka Logan Marshall Green. Good movie, well worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Just on Rockwell, The Winning Season was a great feel good movie that noone seems to have seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

How about Pain and Gain? I avoided it when it came out, because it's by Michael Bay, and looked pretty dumb, but I watched on TV a few nights ago, and thought it was great. A very funny, fast-moving caper movie, with some good comic performances, especially from Wahlberg, and The Rock. A decent Michael Bay movie...how shocking! :pac:

It’s a shockingly bad film. Bottom of the barrel typical Bay movie. Awful awful awful film...and hardly under the radar, it was massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Marty Bird wrote: »
    I saw the devil, it’s a Korean movie but well worth a watch.

God damn, what a film. Need to watch it again

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

It’s a shockingly bad film. Bottom of the barrel typical Bay movie. Awful awful awful film...and hardly under the radar, it was massive.

I really enjoyed pain and gain as well to be honest. It defo wasn’t under the radar though !

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

There's an Aussie thriller called Mystery Road on BBC2 tonight. Looks interesting, has anyone seen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

The mere fact it stars dwayne johnson says it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

There's an Aussie thriller called Mystery Road on BBC2 tonight. Looks interesting, has anyone seen it?

Yeah from memory it wasn't too bad, but not amazing.....good shoutout scene if I recall correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Bubba Ho-Tep with Bruce Cambell is an absolute blast.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yabadabado wrote: »
    Rockwell is usually brilliant ,off hand I can't think of any poor performances from him.

The other arms dealer in the iron man.... He phoned it in

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I really enjoyed pain and gain as well to be honest. It defo wasn’t under the radar though !

It was as if Michael Bay managed, for once, to aim at least a little bit higher than his usual "film that 13 year old boys want to see" standard, and instead landed at "what Michael Bay thinks an indie film is". But, somehow, it worked - mainly because it had a sense of humour about it. Johnson's character was great, and I thought Wahlberg's performance was the best he's given in ages. And the vacuity of Bay's directing tendencies was elegantly reflected in the characters and their motivations (sort of like how Refn's style worked perfectly for Neon Demon).

That's my take on it, anyway. I don't think it was under the radar because Bay's name plus the cast got it plenty of coverage when it came out. Based on some posts in this thread "Has it been talked about in the news within the last month?" seems to be the test for "did it go under the radar"...

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Confessions
    Brilliant japanese movie

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1590089/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

U-Turn by Oliver Stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

U-Turn by Oliver Stone.

Great show!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Arlington Road with Jeff Bridges and Tim Robbins, best suggestion to those who havent seen it is to just watch without knowing anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Does anyone remember a film called Figures in a Landscape, it starred Robert Shaw. Back in the day, it was on a few times late at night. It was about escaped prisoners trying to avoid a helicopter in a desert like landscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,057 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ipso wrote: »
    Does anyone remember a film called Figures in a Landscape, it starred Robert Shaw. Back in the day, it was on a few times late at night. It was about escaped prisoners trying to avoid a helicopter in a desert like landscape.

I have heard about this film but never seen it!

It was written by novelist and playwright Barry England, whose work was also the basis for a film I have seen -
    Conduct Unbecoming, which has a first rate cast (Plummer, York, Attenborough, Howard, Keach) but is a bit 'stagey':
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072812/

The curious thing is that both of these works were adapted into movies in the early 70s, followed by... his next work in 1997 which didnt make much impression.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_England

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

adox wrote: »
    Bubba Ho-Tep with Bruce Cambell is an absolute blast.

You are my spirit animal xx

A lonely place to die
    Solid thriller with good tension
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1422136/

The Counsellor
    Panned by a lot of people but I enjoyed it. Great cast and loved the whole bolo thing!
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2193215/

Good idea for a thread to do now and again to give people ideas on movies to check out.

80s Child wrote: »
    Did Whiplash go under the radar?

the best movie of the last 10 years going under the radar? - eh no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Maybe not exactly under the radar at the time, but not mentioned much now is "the name of the rose", with sean Connery and a very youthful christian slater. Great movie in my opinion, must dig it out for another look.

Another enjoyable home invasion type show called "you're next" from few years ago was good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Capricorn One - can’t reallly describe this movie without spoiling it. It involves humankind visiting Mars.

Elvis & Nixon - starring Michael Shannon and Kevin spacey. True story of that one time Elvis met President Nixon and asked him to make him an honorary Secret Service Agent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

glasso wrote: »

Very good film but saying it the best film of the last ten years is being a bit too generous.

glasso wrote: »

Ooh bold statement. I LOVED it but didn’t it come out the same year as Interstellar? It’s an amazing movie though. Loved every minute of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Red Rock West.

An early Nic Cage movie from 1992 also with Dennis Hopper and Lara Flynn Boyle.

Budget: $8m
    Box Office: $2.5m
    Rottentomotoes: 95%
    imdb: 7/10

I'd say it qualifies as a genuinely good movie that went under the radar.

This is straight from the wiki page that sums it up very well:
    In his review for The Washington Post, Richard Harrington praised it as "a treasure waiting to be discovered". Writing in The New York Times, Caryn James called it "a terrifically enjoyable, smartly acted, over-the-top thriller". Roger Ebert praised it as "a diabolical movie that exists sneakily between a western and a thriller, between a film noir and a black comedy," and gave the film three-and-a-half stars out of four.

I’m gonna check that out later thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Back on Dwayne the rock Johnson's under the radar performances I reckon Walking Tall was a good un!

Advertisement