Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genuinely good movies that have went under the radar?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Red Rock West is great .The director followed it up with The Last Seduction, which I thought was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

yabadabado wrote: »
    Red Rock West is great .The director followed it up with The Last Seduction, which I thought was excellent.

Yeah they are two top drawer movies everyone should watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

yabadabado wrote: »

I saw the director was John Dahl whose name rang a bell. I looked up his filmography and I see he also directed Joy Ride in 2001 staring Steve Zahn and Paul Walker. It is heavily inspired by Spielberg's Duel but I found it to be a hugely entertaining horror-thriller with a lot of humour thrown in too. It was actually written by JJ Abrams early in his career.

I think if it was made today it would be a straight to Netflix movie but one of the better ones. It made only $36m on a $23m budget so I'd say that went under the radar. Not a great movie by any means, but certainly a very enjoyable and entertaining one.

And as I mentioned it, Duel is definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

Very good film but saying it the best film of the last ten years is being a bit too generous.

for me personally thought it was. everything was just right.
    J. K. Simmons in Whiplash has to be the most effective supporting actor cast in any role that I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

Not sur3if it went under the radar but law abiding citizen has a terrible rotten tomato score but anyone if showed it or mentioned it to love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Seriously? Can we exclude any film that has a lengthy separate wikipedia page for the awards it won from discussion here? Whiplash might not be the best movie of the past decade, but it's definitely one of the most celebrated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_received_by_Whiplash

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Robowar.
    The 9th company (if you don't mind subs)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Here we go wrote: »
    Not sur3if it went under the radar but law abiding citizen has a terrible rotten tomato score but anyone if showed it or mentioned it to love it

If that's the one with Jaime Foxx and Gerard Butler then I'd have to disagree - ultimately the premise was a very good one but it was very weak in places and the ending was farcical to say the least

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Thought i said 'The Crimson Rivers' before, French psychological thriller with Jean Reno and Vincent Cassel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That was honestly one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I'm all for a leave-your-brain-at-the-door flick but that one makes even Michael Bay look like Stephen Spielberg.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I watched "The Fall" recently after seeing it mentioned here, its probably the most boring film ive ever seen. I can see what they where going for with the visuals etc, but in my opinion they missed the mark big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I watched "The Fall" recently after seeing it mentioned here, its probably the most boring film ive ever seen. I can see what they where going for with the visuals etc, but in my opinion they missed the mark big time.

That's the Tarsem directed one yeah? Same here: dull but amazing looking. His earlier The Cell had a somewhat more entertaining plot, again with astounding visuals.

Dd3qpc2U8AAHTax.jpg

the-cell-tarsem-virgin-mary.jpg

ishot-3706.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Aussie Film 'Lantana' from 2001 and The Yards from 2000. Both nicely measured dramas

Recently watched 'you were never really here'. It's fantastic. It'll probably do well come award season so wont be under the radar but worth catching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

I haven't seen Wakefield mentioned here, and the search function doesn't turn up any results (albeit, it rarely works at the best of times)...

Really good performance from Bryan Cranston.

That's the Tarsem directed one yeah? Same here: dull but amazing looking. His earlier The Cell had a somewhat more entertaining plot, again with astounding visuals.

Yeh thats the one, i think i seen the cell years ago, but dont really remember it, i vaguely remember a scene with a horse cut into sections? i could be remembering that totally wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yeh thats the one, i think i seen the cell years ago, but dont really remember it, i vaguely remember a scene with a horse cut into sections? i could be remembering that totally wrong though.

That's the one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

Mean machine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Right I know it's won 2 Oscars, has great performances and is highly rated.
    Mystic River still manages to fly under the radar that it deserves!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Trespass...treasure-hunting firemen vs gangsters in the hood. Good cast (Bill Paxton, William Sadler, Ice-T, Ice Cube) and good director (Walter Hill).

Just browsing through IMDB and seeing plenty more.
    Although a very successful movie I've a feeling most have forgotten about Crash, the coming together of a random group of people over a 48 hour period and how prejudice/racism affects the story line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Right I know it's won 2 Oscars, has great performances and is highly rated.
    Mystic River still manages to fly under the radar that it deserves!
    Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Just browsing through IMDB and seeing plenty more.
    Although a very successful movie I've a feeling most have forgotten about Crash, the coming together of a random group of people over a 48 hour period and how prejudice/racism affects the story line.

Why stop there Mehaffey?

There's a nice little indie war flick called Saving Private Ryan you might like to recommend. Fairly inexperienced director, and you might have seen the lead actor in a few other films but can't remember his name right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Ah here, Crash. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

To steal a Tina Fey/Amy Poehler joke, wasn't that Tam Honks? :pac:

JaMarcus wrote: »
    Why stop there Mehaffey?

There's a nice little indie war flick called Saving Private Ryan you might like to recommend. Fairly inexperienced director, and you might have seen the lead actor in a few other films but can't remember his name right now.
    Haha, that'll do for now. Genuinely have talked about these movies before with peers and they haven't heard of them. Also there was one with this white dude tunneling his way out of a prison cell over years and escaping through the sewers, can't quite recall what it's call but I found it worth a watch!

Speaking of Tina Fey, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is a good film. Apologies if its well known, id never heard of it myself and came across it. note its not an out and out comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Mean machine
    The original with Burt Reynolds yes. There were a couple of crap remakes.
    If you like that you will probably like Slap Shot with Paul Newman, about ice hockey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Mechanic with Charles Bronson is quite a good little 70's action flick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

That was a god awfully terrible movie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Hell or High Water - starring Ben Foster and Jeff Bridges. Basically a crime drama / modern western about a pair of bank robbing brothers

Probably did better in the US but doesn’t seem well known over this side of the pond

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

fxotoole wrote: »
    Hell or High Water - starring Ben Foster and Jeff Bridges. Basically a crime drama / modern western about a pair of bank robbing brothers

Probably did better in the US but doesn’t seem well known over this side of the pond

That the film that was up for a few oscars/ golden globes yeah? Never heard of it! :p

Think it was mentioned before but 'Take Shelter' and also 'Shotgun Stories", two Michael Shannon movies.

Advertisement