Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genuinely good movies that have went under the radar?

Options

Comments

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    That the film that was up for a few oscars/ golden globes yeah? Never heard of it! :p

Think it was mentioned before but 'Take Shelter' and also 'Shotgun Stories", two Michael Shannon movies.

might check these out. thanks. he's an interesting actor Michael Shannon. Has a very unique look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Ah never knew that actors name, gonna check out a few myself, good call

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Michael Shannon appeared in nine films in 2016. He's a crazy guy.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Just browsing through IMDB and seeing plenty more.
    Although a very successful movie I've a feeling most have forgotten about Crash, the coming together of a random group of people over a 48 hour period and how prejudice/racism affects the story line.

triple oscar winning movie.....

nowhere near "under the radar" and if your work colleagues have never heard of it that says more about them than the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭BLACKEN

gmisk wrote: »
    Where?! Are you based in Ireland? because it isnt out here yet as far as I know...

actually seen that on the showbox app last night, haven't watched it but its been uploaded a few days now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

BLACKEN wrote: »
    actually seen that on the showbox app last night, haven't watched it but its been uploaded a few days now.

Don't watch any trailers, it sort of gives a few surprises away. very predictable movie but if just allow yourself to be brought along for the ride its really enjoyable. .

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Inside Llewyn Davis, a great film by the Coen Brothers from back in 2013. Can't recommend it enough. A bleak look at the Folk Music scene in the 1960's. Worth watching alone just for the music.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Inside Llewyn Davis, a great film by the Coen Brothers from back in 2013. Can't recommend it enough. A bleak look at the Folk Music scene in the 1960's. Worth watching alone just for the music.

A double Oscar nominated movie....

Not exactly under the radar

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭strawdog

The Station Agent (2003) just popped in to my head- Peter Dinklage a good few years before GoT. Nice little movie about loneliness and friendship, Tom McCarthy's first written/directed movie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Best in Show
    Waiting for Guffman
    A Mighty Wind
    Three excellent comedies made by the same team and starring a lot of the Spinal Tap guys. Similar in style to ST.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭ Harley Calm Meteorology

Darah - Macabre.

I had very few expectations going into this Indonesian horror (having seen a few before) and certainly hadn't heard of it but I found it surprisingly well executed. Somewhat similar to Frontiers and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, pretty gory but not OTT with it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1447791/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'll just leave this here...

Under the Radar

English

Etymology

An allusion to flying an airplane at an altitude too low for radar detection.

Prepositional phrase

under the radar
    1. (idiomatic) Without attracting notice; in an undetected or secretive manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Jesus Christ.

Under the radar does NOT include movies that have won multiple oscars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Hey guise any of you heard bout a movie that stars little known actors Leo di caprio and Kate winslet, it’s set on a boat and the boat sinks in the end
    I think it went under the radar.

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

Hey guise any of you heard bout a movie that stars little known actors Leo di caprio and Kate winslet, it’s set on a boat and the boat sinks in the end
    I think it went under the radar.

Thanks.

it didn't escape the sonar though

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Sleep Tight
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1437358/

Also not sure if they went under the radar but I thought they were worth to mention:

Running Scared (with paul walker)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0404390/

Landmine Goes Click
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2186848/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Out of time
    Denzel washington/ Eva Mendes movie, stolen from imdb

Matt Lee Whitlock (Denzel Washington) is the police chief of a small Florida town, going through a divorce with his detective wife, Alex (Eva Mendes). He begins a passionate affair with Ann (Sanaa Lathan), only to find out that she's stricken with terminal cancer. Matt steals a large sum of money confiscated from a drug bust in order to pay for Ann's treatment -- but when she apparently dies in a suspicious fire, the money disappears, and all the clues point to Matt as the culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

darconio wrote: »
    Sleep Tight
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1437358/

Also not sure if they went under the radar but I thought they were worth to mention:

Running Scared (with paul walker)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0404390/

Landmine Goes Click
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2186848/

Running scared was very good i thought when i watched it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Watched a couple of sci-fi films this weekend.

Europa Report (2013) is about a mission to search for life on one of Jupiter's moons. Looks at the sacrifices made by man to advance knowledge. Would recommend.

Also watched the film Upgrade from this year: a man is paralyzed in an attack and his wife, murdered. He gets a microchip installed in his spine, which gives him superhuman-like powers which come in handy when seeking vengeance. Relationships between humans and technology explored - who controls who and all that. Went under my radar anyway, maybe not for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Any fans of the old Childsplay films, check out The Curse of Chucky. It was straight to video but is quite good, has some backstory from the first film too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Thursday

Noirish gangster black comedy thriller starring Thomas Jane as a suburban architect with a mysterious past. I first saw it on Sky Moviemax in the pre digital era and loved it. Watch it at least once a year. Nearly everyone Ive ever spoken to about it has never heard of it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

darconio wrote: »

Luís Tosar is freakin' terrifying in this, but I only found out about it from his IMDB listing after seeing him in something else, so I've no idea if it got any significant release in the Anglophone world (even the DVD release is pretty bare-bones).

If you like that, Cell 211 is another good watch with him - a newly-hired prison guard gets caught up in a riot on his first day and pretends to be a new prisoner to try and save himself. Tosar puts in another terrifying turn as Malamadre, the leader of the rioters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Fysh wrote: »
    Luís Tosar is freakin' terrifying in this, but I only found out about it from his IMDB listing after seeing him in something else, so I've no idea if it got any significant release in the Anglophone world (even the DVD release is pretty bare-bones).

If you like that, Cell 211 is another good watch with him - a newly-hired prison guard gets caught up in a riot on his first day and pretends to be a new prisoner to try and save himself. Tosar puts in another terrifying turn as Malamadre, the leader of the rioters.

Sleep Tight has been on TV here for sure so it "made it" to some extent. Havent seen it yet but will take you up on that recommendation.Looks good.

The thing is, 99% of non-English language films go under the radar here. Even the one's that win Oscars are largely unknown and dont make it to cinemas in this part of the world. And there are so many good ones that they deserve their own thread (which Im sure they have).

I was avoiding including them for that reason but since we're on the topic of Spanish-language films, here's a few very good contemporary ones from Argentina:

Relatos Salvajes (anthology job. Various short stories linked by themes of corruption, deceit, revenge at different levels of Argentine society)
    Nueve Reinas (entertaining con-artist film. Loosely remade as Criminal by steven soderbergh/George Clooney, crap I believe)
    El secreto de sus ojos (Oscar winner. Excellent film about crime and punishment among other things, again subject to inferior US remake)
    El Clan (true and mental story about a family who kidnapped and tortured people in their basement for ransom money, also a netflix series)
    Carancho (crime/drama/romance about a lawyer who sets up insurance scams in corrupt Argentina, road carnage involved)
    La leonera (often on Film 4 about conditions in a female prison, and the experience of one pregnant woman who may or may not have killed her partner)
    Elefante blanco (Argentine-European co-production. City of God type slum story with priests played by Ricardo Darin and Jeremie Reneir is in it too)
    Bolivia (excellent under the radar black and white film about xenophobia and racism experienced by a Bolivian immigrant in 2001 crisis-era Argentina)
    Garage Olimpo (one of many good films about the forced disappearances carried out by the military dictatorship of 70s)

The list goes on. Many of these ones star Ricardo Darin who nearly always delivers and is huge in Latin America. So none went under the radar in their own country but they're probably unheard of here.

edit: have included brief description of each film in case anyone interested.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Sleep Tight has been on TV here for sure so it "made it" to some extent. Havent seen it yet but will take you up on that recommendation.Looks good.

The thing is, 99% of non-English language films go under the radar here. Even the one's that win Oscars are largely unknown and dont make it to cinemas in this part of the world. And there are so many good ones that they deserve their own thread (which Im sure they have).

I was avoiding including them for that reason but since we're on the topic of Spanish-language films, here's a few very good contemporary ones from Argentina:

Relatos Salvajes
    Nueve Reinas
    El secreto de sus ojos (Oscar winner mentioned earlier)
    El Clan
    Carancho
    La leonera
    Elefante blanco (Argentine city of god)
    Bolivia

The list goes on. Most of these ones star Ricardo Darin who nearly always delivers and is huge in Latin America. So none went under the radar in their own country but they're probably unheard of here.

Cheers! I'd say the only one of those that was any way big was Relatos Salvajes which was released as Wild Tales with a "Pedro Almodovar presents" tag. I heard about El Clan and have had it on my to-watch list for a while, I'll put the rest of those films on there as well :)

In terms of European Spanish films, El Dia De La Bestia is a great horror comedy that deserves more love - it's not a million miles away from The Omen filtered through the tone of Evil Dead 2. In Spain it's got a pretty good cult following, but not so much round here.

Blancanieves is a black & white arthouse film which presents a surreal version of Snow White mixed with bullfighting.

La Isla Mínima got a release as Marshlands in the UK & Ireland, but I don't think it got a lot of attention which is a shame as it's excellent - set just after Franco's death in a rural part of southern Spain, two police officers with substantially different political outlooks have to investigate a missing persons case. Like Pan's Labyrinth, Spain's sociopolitical history is an enormous part of the story, and the tone has also been compared with the first series of True Detective which would have been made and released around the same time as the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Hopefully not mentioned already but War on Everyone (2016) might be worth a watch. Saw it recently and enjoyed it. Had never heard of it up to few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Red Rock West.

An early Nic Cage movie from 1992 also with Dennis Hopper and Lara Flynn Boyle.

Budget: $8m
    Box Office: $2.5m
    Rottentomotoes: 95%
    imdb: 7/10

I'd say it qualifies as a genuinely good movie that went under the radar.

This is straight from the wiki page that sums it up very well:

Oliver Stone basically remade it with U-Turn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Speaking of foreign films Banilue 13/B13 (District 13) is an excellent film, made in 2004 and produced by Luc Besson it's set in a suburb of Paris that was walled off and left to the gangs because the authorities couldn't control it - one of the first films that I remember which had a mix of parkour in it's action scenes - well worth watching

If you do track it down for the love of God don't watch the dubbed version....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Enemy Territory (1987)

Very underappreciated action/horror movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092969/?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭dodgystats

Watched The invisible Guest on Netflix over the weekend and was well impresssed.

Granted, its in Spanish but still enjoyable!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4857264/?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

The Private Lives of Pippa Lee.
    Really enjoyed it but hadn't heard of it before or since.

Robin Wright, Alan Arkin, Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves are in it.

Advertisement