Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genuinely good movies that have went under the radar?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

The Smershpod podcast (highly reccommend) cover some classic films that time forgot.

Shout at the Devil, from 1976 starting Lee Marvin and Roger Moore. Sort of a Boy's Own adventure set in Africa around the outbreak of WWI. Think African Queen crossed with The Man Who Would Be King. You can get it on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Gridlock'd.

Tupac and Tim Roth play junkie musicians trying to get on a drug treatment programme while being chased by gangsters. A solid film with some very funny parts.
    Good acting by Tupac too, although the relatively mundane Juice always gets mentioned as his go to film.

excellent movie, Tupac held his own with Tim Roth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Pieces of April with the usually unwatchable Katie Holmes is a surprise gem. Though you cant go wrong with Patricia Clarkson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

End of Watch with Jake Gyllenhaal and Micheal Pena - saw it not long after it came out, thought it was excellent - mainly shot via bodycams, they play cops, really enjoyed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hell in the Pacific from 1968 with Lee Marvin in one of his lesser known films, Marvin plays a shot down pilot during the Second World War, he is stranded on an island with a marooned Japanese Navy captain. A great film, about how they get on and survive, up there with Murphy's War with Peter O'Toole and his vengeance towards a U-Boat.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Bone Tomahawk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Not sure if these have been mentioned but I found these quite good.

Les choristes
    French drama about kids in an orphanage that sing in a choir.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372824/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Un prophete
    Prison Mafia movie
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235166/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Killing Zoe
    French crime drama
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110265/?ref_=nv_sr_1

A good year
    Comedy drama set in France
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401445/?ref_=nv_sr_1

killing Zoe..... real Tarantino 90's buzz :)
    also un prophete is a quality movie

• Registered Users Posts: 30,056 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Wine lovers will appreciate A Good Year.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

On the French Film suggestion

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0778784/
    My Best Friend,

It's such a great feel good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Liverpoolfan1

Barbarians at the gate. About the attempted management buyout of Nabisco. One of the biggest food conglomerates in the 70s.

Really funny pic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

Hombre 1967 Paul Newman,Richard Boone. Great western great performance by Newman. Cant believe how many never heard if it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭CWF

The Florida Project. Absolutely amazing film.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

CWF wrote: »
    The Florida Project. Absolutely amazing film.

Outstanding film. The colours! The music played in the final scene. William Dafoe.
    I remember having to buy milk in a shop immediately after leaving the cinema with tears rolling down my face!
    Not sure how underrated you could call it though. It won or was nominated for lots of awards. Critics loved it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭CWF

Outstanding film. The colours! The music played in the final scene. William Dafoe.
    I remember having to buy milk in a shop immediately after leaving the cinema with tears rolling down my face!
    Not sure how underrated you could call it though. It won or was nominated for lots of awards. Critics loved it etc.

I wouldn't call it under rated at all. However, even tho it came out 2 years ago I never heard of it therefore for me it falls under the category of flying under the radar. The poster for the movie looks familiar but that's all. Going to watch it again tonight with my other half she hasn't seen it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Destroyer

Decent kinda story based crime presentation with a heavy narrative and complex way of goinf about it. I've not seen some of the ways they depict stuff outside of Anime especially the final scene.

I knew Nicole Kidman was in it but was surprised when Sebastian Stan (Bucky in the Marvel Cinematic Universe) and Scoot McNairy (the Father in True Detective season 3) turned up.

One fairly decent gunfight scene as well (
    the bank robbery that Erin (Nicole) busts with the two cops
    )

but you might want to avoid if you're:
    - riding the wave of "Women can't do Sh*t"
    - looking for hard action film
    - wanting a spolsions based film and such
    - need something on in the background
    - don't want to keep track of the story and put pieces together as they are revealed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The florida project was fantastic, but maybe by underrated people mean it didnt have a big cultural impact? Even though it was a beautifully shot movie it didnt really have any particularly memorable characters or lines or scenes that would leave a lasting impression so I think thats why it might be underrated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

judgement night (1993)

i thought it was great...but its not well known, despite a great cast.

https://youtu.be/MDh3uICKIMc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

dougm1970 wrote: »
    judgement night (1993)

Oh wow you'll solved one of my many movies mysteries.!! Remember catching this donkeys years ago on RTE late at night. Could never remember the name, cheers!

• Advertisement

crushproof wrote: »
    Oh wow you'll solved one of my many movies mysteries.!! Remember catching this donkeys years ago on RTE late at night. Could never remember the name, cheers!

I believe Emilio Estavez got paid like 20 million dollars for that movie.... the other actor dropped out last minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

dougm1970 wrote: »
    judgement night (1993)

and Denis Leary being Denis Leary.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

and Denis Leary being Denis Leary.:)

Makes a nice change from him trying to be Bill Hicks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Yermande

Gamb!t wrote: »

Under the radar?

The Friends of Eddie Coyle from 1973. Excellent crime flick starring Robert Mitchum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

Equilibrium.

Dystopian action movie with Christian Bale as a "Cleric", John Preston..

"In an oppressive future where all forms of feeling are illegal, a man in charge of enforcing the law rises to overthrow the system and state."

An intelligent storyline lost in the shadow of the Matrix. The brief action sequences featuring "Gun Fu" are right up there with Matrix action scenes but even better because they are not so often. Short enough that I rewatch it more than Keanu kicking ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

crushproof wrote: »

Wasn’t Trespass out around the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

State of grace.

Not sure if it went under the radar really but it came out in the same year as goodfellas & never got the recognition it deserved.

Penn, Oldman & Ed Harris. Story about the Irish gang in New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭obi604

U turn from 1997. I loved it. But hardly anyone I know has seen it.
    Jennifer Lopez looks unreal in it.

• Advertisement

Ipso wrote: »
    Wasn’t Trespass out around the same time?

I always get those two mixed up for some reason.

Advertisement