Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genuinely good movies that have went under the radar?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Whiplash is seriously underrated also. J.K. Simmons is just awesome in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

'Downfall' is another one. It's subtitled but so unbelievably good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Whiplash and Downfall did not go under the radar though, they're both critically acclaimed and got wide release, as well as academy awards. I think the nature of the thread are more hidden gems that slipped past without much fanfare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

'Downfall' is another one. It's subtitled but so unbelievably good.

Black book and The Lives of Others are two great Dutch/German movies as well. Wouldn't necessarily call them "under the radar" though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Bagdad Cafe.

• Advertisement

fxotoole wrote: »
    Black book and The Lives of Others are two great Dutch/German movies as well. Wouldn't necessarily call them "under the radar" though

Loved "Lives of Others", hated "Black Book".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

pixelburp wrote: »
    Whiplash and Downfall did not go under the radar though, they're both critically acclaimed and got wide release, as well as academy awards.

Agreed.
    Whiplash is a superb film, but hardly went under the radar.
    It was widely praised at time of release.

JK Simmons won an Oscar and a Golden Globe for his performance and it was also Oscar nominated for Best Picture that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Whiplash is seriously underrated also. J.K. Simmons is just awesome in it.

How in the hell is it underrated? Everyone and his dog knows this is a masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Whiplash and Downfall did not go under the radar though, they're both critically acclaimed and got wide release, as well as academy awards. I think the nature of the thread are more hidden gems that slipped past without much fanfare

Exactly, they both literally have hundreds of thousands of votes on IMDB, you may as well say pulp fiction or the shawshank redemption went under the radar by that standard.

Arlington road (1998), I dont know if it would necessarily call it under the radar but literally everyone I told about it has not seen it.

Killer klowns from outer space (1988), might night be everybodies style but this movie is not to be taking too seriously, if you like cheesy 80's horrors mixed with comedy then you will love this.

Spun (2002), the chaotic high risk world of crystal meth addiction/dealing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

mad m wrote:
    One movie always sticks in my mind. Not just for the riding at start but the music and story was great..
    mad m wrote:
    Betty blue
    I still love the soundtrack to this.
    how do some quotes end up like this? are you using an app or something?

to add something:

O' Horten, Norwegian film about a train drivers last day before retirement, from Wikipedia:
    O' Horten is a 2007 Norwegian language film directed by Bent Hamer.[4] The film's title character Odd Horten is a habit-bound train driver, who is about to retire. On the day of his retirement he ends up in an unexpected situation, and is forced to reconsider his life. As in other films by Hamer, the themes are loneliness and old age, and the courage to take chances. O' Horten has been described as a film without a strong plot or a clear chronology

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭hank scorpio89

Not sure how under the radar they where but..

Secret window and the ninth gate both johnny Depp both really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭hank scorpio89

Also another one Eddie and the cruisers 1983 michael pare very hard to find tho.there also a sequel not as good tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Vamp (1986) with grace jones, I am fairly sure from dusk till dawn took some inspiration from this movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some french films that were hits at home but may not have gotten much attention here.

If you can tolerate subtitles:

36 Quai des Orfèvres, French crime thriller starring Daniel Auteuil & Gérard Depardieu.

L'auberge espagnole, a romantic comedy about an Erasmus student starring Romain Duris & Audrey Tautou.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

+1 for Miracle Mile
    Treed Murrey aka Get Down
    To Catch a Killer (the John Wayne Gacy story)
    Lars and the real girl
    Shattered Glass
    The Quiet Earth
    Boiler House
    Trans-america
    Predestination
    The Exam
    Four Lions
    Citizen X
    Touristas
    Arrival

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

The french movie The Intouchables, is excellent. One of the best Ive seen in recent years actually.

The Connection is on netflix and well worth a catch too, if we're talking french

"Tucker:The Man and His Dream" 1988 film with Jeff Bridges , true story about a 1950s car with revolutionary safety features that was shut down by the big corporations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Dredd (2012)
    Black Dynamite (2009)
    Limehouse Golem (2017) - Now on Netflix
    Exiled (2006)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gah, too many lists of film names. Would be nice if folks took some time to explain what the films are, or why they deserve more attention than they got.

I see 'Predestination' mentioned above, I had recommended it in the Netflix thread, and would do again here: very much a perfect example of a good film that just never gained any buzz, word-of-mouth and so on; probably didn't help that it was an Australian flick & didn't get much (any?) cinematic release - but it's arguably one of the best 'time travel' films of the last decade. To the point where I'd say it's a good example to anyone wondering on how to write a dramatic Time Loop without completely tripping yourself up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Duel.

It's a made for TV movie from the 70s directed by Steven Spielberg. Might have been released in cinema later.

Anyway it's about this regular guy travelling across the states and he overtakes a truck. Sounds basic enough but it's my go-to recommendation for a good thriller that people invariably haven't seen. I saw it 3 or 4 times on late night tv as a kid. I'd say my mother and I have seen it more than anyone else in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

Into the Storm is a made for TV movie by the BBC. For some reason it kind of flopped..

Brendan Gleeson playing Winston Churchill,, its really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

pixelburp wrote:
    Gah, too many lists of film names. Would be nice if folks took some time to explain what the films are, or why they deserve more attention than they got.

I hear ya, I've written reviews for all the films I mentioned at one time or another... Unfortunately, people don't read half of what is written so I no longer bother, and furthermore the plot synopses can be gotten through imdb, rotten tomatoes and Wikipedia...
    I give a film 30 minutes to get my interest or I'm not going to waste any more time on it, but I have been told I'm selling myself short on occasions (interstellar being one)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

SexBobomb wrote: »
    Dredd (2012)

Dredd's a good shout. Did a great job of portraying the character we knew from the comics after the horrendous Stallone movie of the 90s even if wasn't really anything more than a sci-fi retread of the Raid. Seem to totally disappear shortly after its release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Stardust, didn't even know it existed until a few days ago.

Watched it last night and found it a very pleasant watch. Really good fairytale/fantasy movie.

I hear ya, I've written reviews for all the films I mentioned at one time or another... Unfortunately, people don't read half of what is written so I no longer bother, and furthermore the plot synopses can be gotten through imdb, rotten tomatoes and Wikipedia...
    I give a film 30 minutes to get my interest or I'm not going to waste any more time on it, but I have been told I'm selling myself short on occasions (interstellar being one)...

Reviews here? Well, if you were annoyed about folks not reading them, I can tell you, they're less likely to go off and separately google/IMDB 14 separate titles; few of us are that idle ;) Kinda comes with the territory of a discussion forum to scribble some thoughts and ideas rather than drop a bunch of names. Sure we can all do that! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Desierto

Made by Alfonso Cuaran’s son, Jonas, this is a tense cat and mouse thriller set on the US/Mexican border. Proud American, anti-immigration psycho Jeffrey Dean Morgan, likes nothing better than bringing his high powered rifle into the desert on the American side of the border and murdering illegals trying to get into the country.

He tracks down a group of desperate illegals, picking them off one by one, as they try to stay alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

shot caller

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

I see 'Predestination' mentioned above, I had recommended it in the Netflix thread, and would do again here: very much a perfect example of a good film that just never gained any buzz, word-of-mouth and so on; probably didn't help that it was an Australian flick & didn't get much (any?) cinematic release - but it's arguably one of the best 'time travel' films of the last decade. To the point where I'd say it's a good example to anyone wondering on how to write a dramatic Time Loop without completely tripping yourself up.

Agreed. Predestination is a great shout as mentioned earlier. Its excellent. The fact that Hollywood didnt get their hands on it is what makes it a great movie. It would have been a two and half hour CGI fest load of crap. Its only 90 mins long and the pacing is perfect.

Also now that I think of it Frequency with Dennis Quaid is another.

An atmospheric phenomenon allows a father to communicate with his son 30 years in the future via radio. The son uses it as an opportunity to warn his father of his impending death in a fire. Of course as we all know when you go dicking around with time it can cause other events to unfold. Very clever.

• Advertisement

Ironman76 wrote: »
    [...]
    Also now that I think of it Frequency with Dennis Quaid is another.

An atmospheric phenomenon allows a father to communicate with his son 30 years in the future via radio. The son uses it as an opportunity to warn his father of his impending death in a fire. Of course as we all know when you go dicking around with time it can cause other events to unfold. Very clever.

There was a TV adaptation of this, came out in 2016 & available on Netflix. Unfortunately got cancelled, but its single season is pretty self-contained & exists as perfectly solid piece of time-traveling drama.

Advertisement