Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genuinely good movies that have went under the radar?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Don't know if The Raid has been mentioned. Loved it, which reminds me I've been meaning to watching the second one for about five years.

The second is very good too. It's not as tight as the first, it's actually quite a different film, but you won't be disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Live and Die in LA

one of my all time faves

Sound track by Wang Chung - Class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Salem's Lot (1979).

A swashbuckling vampire movie. Eerie, dark and atmospheric.

Danny Glick hovering at the window. Creepy as hell for my younger self.

The Master and his servant Mr. Straker (James Mason) slowly annihilating the town.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Live and Die in LA

Michael Mann directed, one of my all time faves

Sound track by Wang Chung - Class

That was actually directed by William Friedkin, though Mann accused him of ripping off Miami Vice and even sued him over it I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

That was actually directed by William Friedkin, though Mann accused him of ripping off Miami Vice and even sued him over it I believe.

my bad
    i always thought it was a mann film

Defo a rip off then, but a lot better than Miami Vice :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

tomofson wrote: »
    I seen that film the wanderers when I was like 9 or 10, and I couldn't stop saying, "nobody ****s with the baldies".

The duckie boys terrified me as a kid, I had no idea they where based off a real life Irish american street gang.

I also loved another gang movie called The Warriors from the same year.

Was just going to post The Warriors....the two of them were great films..

Waaaarriors.......come out to plaaaayyyy!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Thanks, just finished watching this and is was excellent, very funny also.

Nice one. Such a great movie.
    The casting was 100% on the money. Loved the two leads.
    Apparently Hollywood are making a version with Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart.

Glad to see they didnt go for obvious choices..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The second is very good too. It's not as tight as the first, it's actually quite a different film, but you won't be disappointed

There's a fanedit of the second one called Berandal which cuts it down to about the same runtime as the first film, and a much closer pace to the first film. It's a very different version than the sprawling gangster epic of the original, but well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Quite a few Friedkin films fall into the "under the radar" category.

In addition to "Live and Die in LA" you could also add Sorcerer and Bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Art McCarrick

Don't think I've seen these mentioned yet, 2 Australian ones.

The Snowtown Murders - Based on a true story.

Lake Mungo - A mystery, thriller and ghost story all wrapped up in a documentary style format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,796 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Quite a few Friedkin films fall into the "under the radar" category.

In addition to "Live and Die in LA" you could also add Sorcerer and Bug.
    Mark Kermode is that you?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Lake Mungo - A mystery, thriller and ghost story all wrapped up in a documentary style format.

*Shudders.
    This still gives me nightmares. And the fact it's true just makes it worse.

Australia has some cracking films that I've enjoyed over the years.
    • Two Hands - A young Heath Ledger and Rose Byrne and the ever excellent Bryan Brown star in this comedy crime film.
    • Stickmen - Story of an underground pool tournament. Some very funny bits.
    • Animal Kingdom - Cracking crime thriller that stars a host of stars, some that were even unknown at the time.
    • The Proposition - One of my personal favourite films, this bleak western looks beautiful at times and has serious violence at others.

I could also throw Muriel's wedding in here but it's probably more well known than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

First one that came into my head when i saw the thread title.
    What a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

p to the e wrote: »
    • The Proposition - One of my personal favourite films, this bleak western looks beautiful at times and has serious violence at others.
    It's one of my favourite Westerns of recent decades. Well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Equilibrium is a great film that never seemed to go anywhere.

Lucky Number Slevin didnt do anything at the box office ($22M) but I thought it was very enjoyable with a great cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I still struggle with understanding how Death of a Superhero didn't have awards thrown at it from all directions, nevermind that nobody really knows about it. The acting was incredible and the plot was heart wrenching. To the point where I still felt numb several days after watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Night on Earth, not sure it got a mention yet. Jim Jarmusch' film featuring 5 episodes with taxis. Excellent stuff with a young Wynona Ryder.

Just love this film, Reykjavik section my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith' 1978
    Aussie film about a wronged Aborigine.

'Journey's End' 2017
    Slice of life on the western front 1918. Nobody went to see it.

'Amateur' 1994
    Amnesiac has a hard time remembering anything and meets a bunch of weirdos and criminals.

'Paris Trout' 1991
    Dennis Hopper is a right bollocks.

'Pretty Village, Pretty Flame' 1996
    Serbian soldiers caught up in the Bosnian war.

'Seance on a Wet Afternoon' 1964
    Fake medium and her hubby kidnap a kid. It doesn't go well.

'Ratcatcher' 1999
    70's Glasgow, as seen through the eyes of a 12 year old boy.

'The Long Day Closes' 1992
    50's Liverpool, as seen through the eyes of an 11 year old boy.

'Army of Shadows' 1969
    The best film made about the French Resistance. No glamour. No nonsense.

'The Ship that died of Shame' 1955
    Ex-Royal Navy lads use their old PT boat for illegal activities, which get worse and worse.

'The League of Gentlemen' 1960
    Ex-British Army chaps pull a heist after the war.

'Smash Palace' 1982
    Former race car driver kidnaps his own kid.

'Miracles Still Happen' 1974
    True story of Juliane Koepcke, who fell out of a plane and didn't give a fuck.

'The Family Way' 1966
    Lovely Haley Mills gets married to Shelley and wants to get knocked up.

'The Belly of an Architect' 1987
    Brian Dennehy's stomach is at him, while his life turns to shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

The Wrong Guy

Maybe the funniest comedy I've ever seen, starring Dave Foley, of Kids In The Hall fame.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wrong_guy/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

These have already been mentioned in the thread but I'd like to second these recommendations:

The Way Way Back
    The Intouchables
    Hunt for the Wilderpeople
    Animal Kingdom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭briany

Series 7: The Contenders

Mockumentary about a reality TV gameshow where the contestants have to kill one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭rtron

Just seen predestination as recommended here. If your into time travel Movies it's a must see.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Another one I just thought of is The Next Three Days starring Russell Crowe. Its great!

A guys wife is wrongly convicted of murder and given a life sentence. So he tries to break her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭strawdog

Rodger Dodger,
    small indie movie with Campbell Scott and Jesse Eisenberg (in one of his first roles) as a young teenager who seeks out his estranged uncle with a rep as a ladies-man for advice on picking up women. Sounds like a bad Charlie Sheen sitcom but actually insightful and quite funny with a good heart beating underneath the slick and crude script

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Speak from 2004, Kristen Stewart. Its excellent and i'm not sure if it was straight to dvd.

Into The Wild - great Sean Penn directed film but a young eejit who read too many Jack London books and decided to go live in the wild. Starring Emile Hech and has an amazing Eddie Vedder soundtrack.

Also Alpha Dog starring the same lad and Justin Timberlake doing a good job and featuring one of the coldest scenes I've seen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

This is 40. So much better than Knocked Up, just a genuinely great comedy about sliding towards middle age. I suppose it didn't go under the radar exactly, but audiences didn't love it, being billed as a sequel to Knocked Up creates expectations when they're very different movies.

One of my favorites, and definitely my favorite Apatow production.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

On that note, I'd add Coherence: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2866360/

Great watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

GreeBo wrote: »
    Equilibrium is a great film that never seemed to go anywhere.
    Equilibrium is a terrible movie, but it has some good action sequences.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Equilibrium had some pretty stylishly choreographed action sequences for sure, riding on the coattails of the then just-released first Matrix film, and even an interesting dystopian idea (a world where all emotion is chemically suppressed); but from what I recall of the film, absolutely none of the characters obeyed that basic premise, with lots of smirking and snarkiness throughout.

Advertisement