Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genuinely good movies that have went under the radar?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

pixelburp wrote: »
    (a world where all emotion is chemically suppressed); but from what I recall of the film, absolutely none of the characters obeyed that basic premise, with lots of smirking and snarkiness throughout.

Love the movie for some bizarre reason - but my god, the main premise is completely ignored.

Taye Diggs is the biggest culprit - his whole character arc is about motivation & ambition. It's built on ego. Laughable.
    Angus MacFayden is somewhat guilty of the same. Delivering cold lines of dialogue, only to be smiling, or smirking afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Proof of Life - after an American engineer gets captured and held for ransom by communist rebels in a South American country, its up to Russell Crowe to negotiate for his release. Good movie, doesn't seem to be widely known

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Spotted this in the Electric Boogaloo thread... Brigsby Bear, an absolute gem of a movie that I caught completely by chance. A man who has been unknowingly held captive all his life, is obsessed by an educational children show called Brigsby Bear. When he is rescued by the Police and brought back to his real parents, he discovers that Brigsby Bear was made solely for him. Finding it hard to adjust to his new life, he decides to make a Brigsby Bear movie with his teenage sister's friends. A fantastic little movie that plays it all straight and is surprisingly earnest.

Brigsby Bear contained echoes of another film, Bad Boy Bubby, an Australian movie from the mid nineties which is a far darker version of the same type of story. An adult man, told that the world outside is uninhabitable, escapes and becomes a punk rock singer. It is a complete oddity of a movie and very disturbing at times but it is a riveting watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Love the movie for some bizarre reason - but my god, the main premise is completely ignored.

Taye Diggs is the biggest culprit - his whole character arc is about motivation & ambition. It's built on ego. Laughable.
    Angus MacFayden is somewhat guilty of the same. Delivering cold lines of dialogue, only to be smiling, or smirking afterwards.

Isn't the whole dealio that the lads at the top *arent* taking the suppressant?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1305806/?ref_=nv_sr_4

The Secret in Their Eyes. El secreto de sus ojos (original title) .The original spanish one not the recent trashy remake with Julia Roberts in it.

In 1999, retired Argentinian federal justice agent BenjamEspo is writing a novel, using an old closed case as the source material. That case is the brutal rape and murder of Liliana Coloto. In addition to seeing the extreme grief of the victim's husband Ricardo Morales, Benjam his assistant Pablo Sandoval, and newly hired department chief Irene Menez-Hastings were personally affected by the case as Benjamand Pablo tracked the killer, hence the reason why the unsatisfactory ending to the case has always bothered him. Despite the department already having two other suspects, Benjamand Pablo ultimately were certain that a man named Isidoro G is the real killer. Although he is aware that historical accuracy is not paramount for the novel, the process of revisiting the case is more an issue of closure for him. He tries to speak to the key players in the case, most specifically Irene, who still works in the justice department and who he has always been attracted to ..

Absolutely brilliant show.. Dont spoil it by watching the crap hollywood version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

Titus

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120866/?ref_=nv_sr_4

Some of the CGI looks dodgy now but a very stylish update of Shakespeare.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Titus

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120866/?ref_=nv_sr_4

Some of the CGI looks dodgy now but a very stylish update of Shakespeare.

Gotta love that trailer on IMDB, one line of dialogue in an obvious attempt to hide the fact it's a Shakespeare play :D

Also a film produced by Steve Bannon - yes, That Steve Bannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I loved Igby Goes Down, didnt seem to get much attention at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Wyrmwood - Road of the Dead. Aussie zombie horror comedy.

Braindead AKA Brain Alive by Peter Jackson. New Zealand horror comedy

Extremeties with Farrah Fawcett. Guy breaks into her home and tried to rape her but she gets revenge. Not of of these girl power type movies this is darkly psychological and not one for someone who has been assaulted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Not sure if posed already by the French SciFi film Dante 01 is excellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

There is a film out at the minute called "Leave No Trace" which is pretty excellent it seems to have had very little attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

The Matador 2005 - Pierce Brosnan, I know but I think he was great in this and Greg Kinnear.

Never see it played on the Tv and I saw it a long time ago so maybe I only remember the good stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Good Time (2017)

Really enjoyed it and haven't met too many people who've seen it. It did get critical praise on release but still - I never hear it mentioned. First time I've enjoyed watching Robert Pattinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

The Matador 2005 - Pierce Brosnan, I know but I think he was great in this and Greg Kinnear.

Never see it played on the Tv and I saw it a long time ago so maybe I only remember the good stuff :D

Brilliant - one of my favourite films. I love Brosnan's character. Deserved a follow up / origin story I think!

GreeBo wrote: »
    Isn't the whole dealio that the lads at the top *arent* taking the suppressant?:confused:

Exactly. All men are equal except some men are more equal than others. Very Animal Farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1305806/?ref_=nv_sr_4

The Secret in Their Eyes. El secreto de sus ojos (original title) .The original spanish one not the recent trashy remake with Julia Roberts in it.
    Great film. But it won the Oscar for best foreign language film among other things (possibly editing?) it didn't really go under the radar. But brilliant nonetheless. US remake was **** as you say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

It's an old one, but Bad day at black rock (spencer treacy Dir john sturgess) is a master class in tension with a story that is as relevant now in trumps america as it was back in the '50's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

A couple of excellent cop thrillers which aren't too well known
    Q & A, starring Nick Nolte
    Dark Blue, with Kurt Russell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

turbot wrote: »
    Old Boy (original) was amazing.
    Spirited Away & Howls Moving Castle - great films too.

Just catching up with this list. Lots of famous movies here that flew a thousand miles over the radar, for example the above.

The OP didn't ask "tell me some random movies you like".

He/she wanted something that went under the radar.

My contribution: Cold in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ironman76 wrote: »
    Another one I just thought of is The Next Three Days starring Russell Crowe. Its great!

A guys wife is wrongly convicted of murder and given a life sentence. So he tries to break her out.

You should try the French original...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 prokofiev

Cinderella liberty 1973 James caan. Won some also ran oscars but I never hear anything about it.

Miles from home 1980s flick with gere and Kevin Anderson. Underrated Thelma and Louise for boys.

Bodies at rest and motion with Eric Stoltz, Fonda, phoebe Katz and Tim Roth.

And my all time guiltiest pleasure!!!!
    Cool as Ice with Vanilla Ice...im not joking....why this isn't labelled as a cult classic amazes me! There's no other movie I can think of like it.. .and it really captures that 1990s pop hip hop dress that no other film does. And the whole thing is a bit kooky! I think it's really watchable fantasia.

The look of it is great- cinematographer kaminski won 2 oscars not long after.

I've been looking for someone to agree with me on this for years...anyone?...please tell me I'm not crazy?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Some good horror films...

'The Battery'

The zombie apocalypse, again, just so we're all really prepped when it comes.

'Jugface'

Weird cult goings on, down south...yeeehaw!

'Tucker and Dale VS Evil'

Just good ol' boys. Never meanin' no harm. Until a bunch of stupid teens arrive and ruin everything.

'Creep'

Brit horror set in the underground with Lola, who has to run around again.

'Frozen'

No...not that 'Frozen'. This one has people trapped on a ski chair overnight.

'The Woman'

Pffft...bloody women.

'The Loved Ones'

Crazy girl wants to go to the school dance and won't take "no" for an answer.

'Splinter'

Group get caught in a petrol station, as strange, splintery, viral things cause their hosts to attack.

'Lake Mungo'

Creepy pseudo-documentary about a girl's death in Oz.

'Blood on Satan's Claw'

Largely unknown British horror classic, with old Nick taking over a bunch of young wans.

'Cold Skin'

Lovecraftian horror with a light house and fish people.

'The Ritual'

Brit horror set in Sweden with strange culty types and a weird monster.

Freebie and the Bean

ignore the title. seventies odd-couple turns buddy-cop movie with alan arkin and james caan and the two boys are an absolute joy together

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭ Harley Calm Meteorology

Paperhouse

Wonderfully dark fantasy horror.

Reeker

Best watched without reading any previews or reviews to avoid spoilers but good, I thought...

The Eye

Original Pang Bros, not that awful Jessica Alba remake....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Genuinely shocked that Buried with Ryan Reynolds hasn't been mentioned (must have gone waaaay under the radar)

Can't remember what year it came out but the premise is that Reynold's is buried alive inside a coffin while working in the middle east and left with a mobile phone - as a premise it probably shouldn't work but it absolutely does and Reynold's is brilliant in it

Genuinely shocked that Buried with Ryan Reynolds hasn't been mentioned (must have gone waaaay under the radar)

Can't remember what year it came out but the premise is that Reynold's is buried alive inside a coffin while working in the middle east and left with a mobile phone - as a premise it probably shouldn't work but it absolutely does and Reynold's is brilliant in it

Probably hasn't been mentioned yet because it was ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

fxotoole wrote: »
    Probably hasn't been mentioned yet because it was ****.
    I liked it!

It was way too overhyped

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Running Scared, from 1986, a buddy cop comedy with Billy Crystal. Great craic.
    Short Time, 1990. Another cop comedy starring Dabney Coleman. Also great craic with a very original storyline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Tony EH wrote: »
    Some good horror films...

'Frozen'

No...not that 'Frozen'. This one has people trapped on a ski chair overnight.

Really good.

Reminds me of Adrift.

A simple fun activity turns into a nightmare due to human error.

Advertisement