Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sold property

Options
  • 26-06-2018 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

So I dropped in a very large bouncy castle to a repair company for repair. They contacted my husband twice regarding pick up and he told them his van wouldn't be big enough to fit it at the time and he didn't have a trailer. We dont have a bouncy castle business it was something I bought for my children once off. My husband told him if there was a rent charge to hold it he would be happy to pay obviously, we contacted the company today now we have a trailer and were told sorry we sold it to cover the 180euro repair. The castle cost 2,500 and was sold for 180 and it wasn't their property to sell

Can a company do that .... surely not

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

How long was it with the company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Mzo1978 wrote:
    Can a company do that .... surely not

You didn't pay for the repair or storage. The company could only assume you had abandoned the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mzo1978

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    You didn't pay for the repair or storage. The company could only assume you had abandoned the item.

It was with the company for 1 year with conversations agreeing that it would be ok there. Never were we told remove it now or il sell it. We had used the services before for repairs he knew us where we lived etc

Mzo1978 wrote:
    It was with the company for 1 year with conversations agreeing that it would be ok there. Never were we told remove it now or il sell it. We had used the services before for repairs he knew us where we lived etc

Again no payment made for a year? What did you think the company was going to do. It's not credible to believe you couldn't organise transport form the repair company to your home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

A year? Ah come on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,339 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If you’ve left it there for a year, you’ve abondonned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

1 year! Are you trying to tell us you couldn't organise delivery if you really wanted. What do you think this company were going to do, store it for ever without being paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

But why didn't you pay for the repair? Regardless of whether you could collect it or not, once the repair was completed it should have been paid for.

Clearly there was some miscommunication if you thought you were keeping in contact with them but then they went and sold it.

Did they ever ask for payment during the year while you were communicating with them? And how long since you were last in touch? If you hadn't been in touch in a number of months it's not unreasonable to believe you had abandoned the item.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

How come you could drop it to them yet couldn't collect it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You can rent a good size van for a lot less the €50 for a day. I'm getting the biggest box van you can drive on a B license for 6 days for €160 with a tail lift.

That's crazy expecting them to just hold it for a year.

• Advertisement

But why didn't you pay for the repair? Regardless of whether you could collect it or not, once the repair was completed it should have been paid for.

Clearly there was some miscommunication if you thought you were keeping in contact with them but then they went and sold it.

Did they ever ask for payment during the year while you were communicating with them? And how long since you were last in touch? If you hadn't been in touch in a number of months it's not unreasonable to believe you had abandoned the item.

They never requested payment and we never even thought to offer payment our mistake I suppose... we spoke in January and all was fine we spoke yesterday and he said ah there was trouble in his marriage he went one way wife went the other so I sold it. My husband said but I spoke to u in January all was good he said they split in Feb he needed the money 180e we asked why didn't I ring and say I need this moved now

Mzo1978 wrote: »
    They never requested payment and we never even thought to offer payment our mistake I suppose... we spoke in January and all was fine we spoke yesterday and he said ah there was trouble in his marriage he went one way wife went the other so I sold it. My husband said but I spoke to u in January all was good he said they split in Feb he needed the money 180e we asked why didn't I ring and say I need this moved now

Have you a receipt, invoice, any written articles that back up your story????

He can't sell what he doesn't own but if he can prove it's abandoned then it's a tuff one.

Have you a receipt, invoice, any written articles that back up your story????

He can't sell what he doesn't own but if he can prove it's abandoned then it's a tuff one.

The docket when it was dropped off and three texts from him saying it's grand here no hurry.

It's the size of our house it was a massive titanic slide/castle it would just fit into any size van it needed a trailer a big one

Start a small claims against the company for loss. If you can prove with a valid receipt.

How did it get to him??

Surely you could have got a delivery company or as mentioned a big van even and car transport thpe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

This guy sounds as cold as ice

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

You can rent a good size van for a lot less the €50 for a day. I'm getting the biggest box van you can drive on a B license for 6 days for €160 with a tail lift.

That's crazy expecting them to just hold it for a year.

Where are you getting that deal? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The docket when it was dropped off and three texts from him saying it's grand here no hurry.

It's the size of our house it was a massive titanic slide/castle it would just fit into any size van it needed a trailer a big one

I know the size of the castle in question and it would fit in any long or extra long wheelbase van.

He sold it for more than €180 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭wally79

You haven’t answered the question on how you got it to him. You said you dropped it off

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Where are you getting that deal? Genuine question.

Easirent.

They are based near airport, at airport business Park, cloghran

Start a small claims against the company for loss. If you can prove with a valid receipt.

How did it get to him??

Surely you could have got a delivery company or as mentioned a big van even and car transport thpe

It was rented to a farmer near tayto park and they ripped it and he dropped it to him in his trailer as a sorry for ripping it, no joke it's the size of our house then my husband sold his van and trailer and his now can just wouldnt have had the capacity he bought a trailer last month, a big one.

There was never any anger or feeling he was annoyed it was there, as I said we had used him before for repairs my brother uses him regularly for his company we had what we thought a decent working relationship

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It was rented to a farmer near tayto park and they ripped it and he dropped it to him in his trailer as a sorry for ripping it, no joke it's the size of our house then my husband sold his van and trailer and his now can just wouldnt have had the capacity he bought a trailer last month, a big one.

There was never any anger or feeling he was annoyed it was there, as I said we had used him before for repairs my brother uses him regularly for his company we had what we thought a decent working relationship

Rented? So you rent it out. Not a Consumer Issue so, but a business issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

doesn't matter whether it was left for a month or a year, there was a verbal agreement and the person who had it had up to date contact details and therefore it would be a very easy case for the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,991 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If it's left there that long it could easily be classed as abandoned. Especially if no contact made in the year.
    No sympathy with the OP at all. Storage ain't free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

You spent 2.5k on a bouncy castle for your kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

Pelvis wrote: »

Which they then rented out!

HelgaWard wrote:
    Which they then rented out!

But then left in for repair for over 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

Your decent working relationship is waiting a year to pay for repairs while letting him store this huge castle in his place of work. You were renting the thing out, your husband should have made sure he had a way of transporting it.

Would you have waited a year for the farmer to pay you for the rental? Would you have let the farmer keep it for a year without paying you?

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    But then left in for repair for over 6 months.

Over 1 year.

Over 1 year.

My bad I must have misread a post of the OP's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Pelvis wrote: »
    What's the point? So what. Some people pay €5,000 for a summer holiday that lasts 2 weeks, so €2500 for a bouncy castle that can be used regularly is quite a wise investment if you have the space to use it.
    SteM wrote: »
    Your decent working relationship is waiting a year to pay for repairs while letting him store this huge castle in his place of work. You were renting the thing out, your husband should have made sure he had a way of transporting it.

Would you have waited a year for the farmer to pay you for the rental? Would you have let the farmer keep it for a year without paying you?
    Read the OP's additional post - they were in contact in january and there was no issue. The person with it had their contact details, there was an implied agreement for storage.

As for renting it - where's the issue in the odd one off rental? I've a holiday home, I rent it to friends and family for a nominal cleaning / electricity charge.

If the OP did have a business they would have been renting it out since Easter, and especially around Communion time when every bouncy castle in the courty was rented
    Over 1 year.
    5 months since last contact where there was no issue.

Its a very simple conclusion. It was your property, they had your contact details, you had an implied agreement, they did not give you any opportunity to retrieve it and sold it.

Small claims court and you will almost certainly win.

Advertisement