Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedals for Adventure Racing

Options
  • 26-06-2018 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I’m new to adventure racing, signed up,to do first one later this year.

I’m changing my bike at the moment. I currently use Look Keo pedals. I’m guessing these are not very practical for AR as it necessitates carrying the shoes. Is that right?

What are peoples preferred option. What kind of pedals work best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Check eBay for Zefal 45 toe clips. That's what I use and find them good cos no straps involved. Just get a half decent set of flats pedals for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

clip in pedals are a bit of a pain for adventure racing , yes you will need to carry your bike shoes, people do use them, ive seen shoes on tri bars, in bottle cages and bungee'd to various bits of the bike..

races like achill roar , sorry quest achill, the bike leg is at the end so you can leave your clip in pedals on..

its easier to run into local bike shop and get a set of flat pedals and change to them for races, put grease on the threads of the pedals so you can get them off a bit easier..

its hard to describe but i have seen a clip in system, thats almost like half the sole of a shoe with a pedal strap / cage on it.. couldnt find it online and it was on a seriously expensive bike so i assume it is also seriously expensive ..

long story short .. get flat pedals

• Registered Users Posts: 48 TimmyoTooleI

Thanks for the info. I take it so you guys are wearing trail runners with the flat pedals . Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

yeah , you might get away without them depending on the course.. but in general its worth having them

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Always wear trail shoes with flats. Tried cycle shoes and carrying runners a few times and was always disasterous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Flat pedals for sure...the gains from clip ins are lost in transitions ok for 1 cycle transition AR’s but with multiples will lead to cramps etc. Plus carrying them will be a pain.
    Ive tried a few tpe clips but same issues ysually always end upside down and scrapping along the ground...
    I use ordinary runners myself but thats a personal choice...
    WAR x3, Gaelforce Dublin x2, West x1 & Quest Glendalough x2...

What race did you sign up for OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 TimmyoTooleI

signed up for Quest Killarney in October. Lots of training to do yet but really looking forward to it

Advertisement