Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which car to tow a caravalair Antares luxe 496 2007

Options
  • 26-06-2018 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All. Looking to upgrade car for towing the above caravan. Have my eye on a 2014 VW Tiguan 2.0 diesel 110 bhp. Anyone had any experience with this. I have tried the towing calculator but it doesn't seem to show the 496 model. Any help greatly appreciated.

Colin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

caitken77 wrote: »
    Hi All. Looking to upgrade car for towing the above caravan. Have my eye on a 2014 VW Tiguan 2.0 diesel 110 bhp. Anyone had any experience with this. I have tried the towing calculator but it doesn't seem to show the 496 model. Any help greatly appreciated.

Colin

Get the kerb weight of the tiguan multiply by 0.85 thats the 85% match weight.

Caravelair looks like 1250kg max weight so if the tiguan is over 1470kg which it should be then its within the 85% rule of thumb, bosal tiguan tow bar is rated to 2500kg and 100kg nose weight.

The tiguan is based on the golf so its mostly roomy on the outside :D Don't see the attraction of compact SUVs myself seem to be primarily designed as shopping trolleys for pyjama mamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Yes, it will be fine. V good towcar, I pull similar weight with Tiguan, v stable tow. Tiguan is always well rated in towcar tests for caravans.

The benefit of a compact suv is the very fact that it is compact - step into a nice high driving position and easy to load child seats without breaking your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I drive a 4motion 140bhp Tiguan myself and our van is max 1450kg.

Out last weekend and had to make an emergency manurer on the road and a lighter vehicle would have lost it.

The Tiguan is a decent towcar, no shopping trolley 🙄

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Mark Horgan

A vw golf would tow that no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Towing something and towing it safely are very different things.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Mark Horgan

Brian, leave your mighty Tiguan and your hard on for it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Brian, leave your mighty Tiguan and your hard on for it at that.

MOD note
    This is not our style of discussion here, either be helpful or if you have to be critical, please base it on fact, Thank you.

Advertisement