Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Under 20 2019 6 Nations and World Championships

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

France beat Scotland 42-27.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It was a strange match. Italy, I thought were quite decent.
    The line outs from Italy were crooked imo. Bizarre officiating imo.
    Really like Hawkshaw! He is a fantastic player and captain.
    I think Henshaw will be looking in his rearview in a couple of years, lol.
    Flannery is very good also. No need to bring Zebo back!! Lol
    Niall Murray is a hell of a good athlete. He really plays with intensity and gets appears to be a natural.
    Penny was great! Everytime I see him, I am more and more impressed.

I think this bunch are already quality. Hopefully, we beat France and go over yonder to Cymru, looking at a slam!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

It's hard to know who will be the next Zebo or Henshaw, the only thing I know is players have been overhyped in the past, hanrahan being the prime example. Sometimes they look mature at that age but just have very little scope for physical improvement, if they have very good skills also it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

typhoony wrote: »
    It's hard to know who will be the next Zebo or Henshaw, the only thing I know is players have been overhyped in the past, hanrahan being the prime example. Sometimes they look mature at that age but just have very little scope for physical improvement, if they have very good skills also it helps

JJH was never as good as people made out at U20 level. He wasn't even the first choice outhalf but grabbed his opportunity when it came along when Jackson was kept behind. The worst thing that ever happened to him was that IRB nomination. The hype went through the roof for him and he was expected to live up to it which was completely unfair.

Brendan Macken would be right up there too as someone who had the physical ability and was way ahead of others as a 19 year old but was left behind when others developed in that aspect.

What impresses me about this group is that guys like Hawkshaw or the backrow are all quite small compared to opposition players but are punching well above their weights. Hawkshaw (and possibly Penny) will be limited in terms of how much they can bulk up due to their heights but someone like Moloney should be able to put on another 6-10kg in time and has already looked very good. Similar story with Hodnett depending on what position he ends up in long term. Niall Murray is another one that has looked really good despite being relatively lightweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Dubinusa wrote: »
    It was a strange match. Italy, I thought were quite decent.
    The line outs from Italy were crooked imo. Bizarre officiating imo.
    Really like Hawkshaw! He is a fantastic player and captain.
    I think Henshaw will be looking in his rearview in a couple of years, lol.
    Flannery is very good also. No need to bring Zebo back!! Lol
    Niall Murray is a hell of a good athlete. He really plays with intensity and gets appears to be a natural.
    Penny was great! Everytime I see him, I am more and more impressed.

I think this bunch are already quality. Hopefully, we beat France and go over yonder to Cymru, looking at a slam!
    Lineouts were fine. Yes some were crooked but not majorly so and its far from something to get hung up in.
    Zebo comment not necessary....
    typhoony wrote: »
    Hanrahan is far from the prime example. Plenty others have and never really made any impression as a pro. JJ has 100+ appearances as a pro.
    Buer wrote: »
    JJH was never as good as people made out at U20 level. He wasn't even the first choice outhalf but grabbed his opportunity when it came along when Jackson was kept behind. The worst thing that ever happened to him was that IRB nomination. The hype went through the roof for him and he was expected to live up to it which was completely unfair.

Brendan Macken would be right up there too as someone who had the physical ability and was way ahead of others as a 19 year old but was left behind when others developed in that aspect.

What impresses me about this group is that guys like Hawkshaw or the backrow are all quite small compared to opposition players but are punching well above their weights. Hawkshaw (and possibly Penny) will be limited in terms of how much they can bulk up due to their heights but someone like Moloney should be able to put on another 6-10kg in time and has already looked very good. Similar story with Hodnett depending on what position he ends up in long term. Niall Murray is another one that has looked really good despite being relatively lightweight.
    +1
    Hopefully that stays in vogue with the selection of players that in other years/other times would have been dropped because theyre not big enough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭stephen.scrum

the lineouts were not fine. ref defending to no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

First time I've seen this team play, really enjoyable to watch. They're extremely comfortable on the ball, great handling skills, pre contact footwork, running lines, etc. Attacking shape is quite good, however I thought the defence was a bit ropey, Italy made a lot of hay by simply transferring the ball before contact to a forward running a hard line. Lineout was decent under no real opposition, scrum was a bit of a mess. The breakdown work was absolutely fantastic, ball was on a plate for Casey all day.

Could say good things about everyone from 1-15. The pack were excellent as a unit, plenty of future pros there. Penny aside, not sure if there's anyone who will do a Caelan Doris and play consistent Pro14 straight out of the JWC.

The 9-10-12 axis also stood out to me. Casey looks great. He's tough, sharp around the fringes, has a lovely pass off both hands, runs great support lines. Curious to see him kicking, and dealing with sloppy ruck ball/adverse weather. Harry Byrne (and also Ben Healy) is a phenomenal striker of the ball. His range of kicking, especially his line kicks, is excellent. He also seems to have a decent running and passing game, and is a robust defender. Again, would be curious to see him playing behind a beaten pack, although hopefully not in this tournament. Hawkshaw is special, his awareness of space and passing game have always stood out to me but he's also quick, balanced, and powerful. Hope Leinster have a plan to get him decent minutes, because I think he could get gametime very quickly at Connacht or Ulster.

I thought the l/O's were crooked to the point that I didn't think" was that crooked". I thought there were some that were close, but most were not.
    Could be the tv angle though?

Could say good things about everyone from 1-15. The pack were excellent as a unit, plenty of future pros there. Penny aside, not sure if there's anyone who will do a Caelan Doris and play consistent Pro14 straight out of the JWC.

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Agreed.

Dylan Tierney probably has the clearest path to first team minutes, especially if Shane Delahunt were to leave Connacht. The rest of the guys are at the back of a bit of a logjam at their province, or need a year or two to mature physically, or both of the above.

Dylan Tierney probably has the clearest path to first team minutes, especially if Shane Delahunt were to leave Connacht. The rest of the guys are at the back of a bit of a logjam at their province, or need a year or two to mature physically, or both of the above.

Yeah, he was the only player I thought might but it was unlikely.

Penny has it all to do. VDF and Leavy!
    But, these lads at least have cohesion and play well as a team.
    I think Clarksin may be a good pro. He looks a natural.
    Wycherly too, looks good.
    I have been very impressed with the 6. Can't remember his name.
    Casey may be too small. A fine player though.

spotted Sean French scored a hat-trick for Cork Con today, starting at 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Really impressed with Moloney at 6 looks so hungry to get involved in everything, wouldnt mind Baird coming into the team for the last two games

Baird has got to get into side for me.

Wasn't too impressed by Reid off the bench or Scannell.

Wycherley didn't have a great game either.

• Advertisement

Irish u20's training against senior team on thursday in Queens.

Wycherly had a couple of ball drops. But his work rate has been great. I think he's better at this point than Milne.

Would love to see Milne get some more gametime - if he can get up to speed he could be very important in the JWC

I dunno Milne may now be backup TH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Fixtures out for World Championship. 2 of the 3 games are timed well for watching here. England up first is great tie.

IRELAND UNDER-20s – POOL B FIXTURES:

Tuesday, June 4 – England v IRELAND, CRAI, Santa Fe, 3.30pm local time/7.30pm Irish time

Saturday. June 8 – Australia v IRELAND, CRAI, Santa Fe, 10.30am local time/2.30pm Irish time

Wednesday, June 12 – Italy v IRELAND, CRAI, Santa Fe, 10.30am local time/2.30pm Irish time

The semi-finals take place on Monday, June 17, with the final and play-offs down for decision on Saturday, June 22

• Advertisement

4 day turn around between games? wow thats rough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Sees a bit tight alright but was the same last year. Guess it cuts down on accommodation costs and time spent away.

been that way for years. 4 days between pool games then extends to 5 for ranking games.
    Should change but wont. All depends on what way fixtures line up as to how well you can rotate squad

Ireland are gonna have to empty the tank to beat an England 20s looking for revenge to then have to get up for it again in 4 days,
    Gonna have to use plenty of that squad for both games

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Terenure v Trinity called off today

Think UCD and Blackrock was the same

Clontarf 24 Lansdowne 21

MU Barnhall 26 Old Belvedere 5

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Sunderland00

Terenure v Trinity called off today

Think UCD and Blackrock was the same

Clontarf 24 Lansdowne 21

MU Barnhall 26 Old Belvedere 5

Any reports on those games?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Hawkshaw ruled out. French takes his place and Charlie Ryan takes over the captaincy. Baird comes onto the bench ahead of Brian Deeney.

15. Jake Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
    14. Angus Kernohan (Queen’s University/Ulster)
    13. Liam Turner (Dublin University/Leinster)
    12. Sean French (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    11. Jonathan Wren (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    10. Harry Byrne (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    9. Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster)
    1. Josh Wycherley (Young Munster/Munster)
    2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (Corinthians/Connacht)
    3. Thomas Clarkson (Dublin University/Leinster)
    4. Charlie Ryan (UCD/Leinster) Captain
    5. Niall Murray (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    6. Martin Moloney (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    7. Scott Penny (UCD RFC/Leinster)
    8. John Hodnett (UCC/Munster)

16. John McKee (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    17. Callum Reid (Banbridge/Ulster)
    18. Ryan Lomas (Galwegians/Connacht)
    19. Ryan Baird (Dublin University/Leinster) *
    20. David McCann (Banbridge/Ulster)
    21. Cormac Foley (St. Mary’s College / Leinster)
    22. Ben Healy (Garryowen/Munster)
    23. Rob Russell (Dublin University/Leinster)

Is Milne injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Is Milne injured?

Yea, injured playing for UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Sudolife

Hawkshaw did his ACL, will be out for remaining Six Nations games and JWC.

Massive loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Sudolife wrote: »
    Hawkshaw did his ACL, will be out for remaining Six Nations games and JWC.

Massive loss.

Massive loss. Best player in the Cup last year. He'll be back in the Academy over the coming seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Harry Byrne has pulled out of tonight's game with injury. So that's our starting 10/12 gone. Massive blow for the U20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Sunderland00

Clegg wrote: »
    Harry Byrne has pulled out of tonight's game with injury. So that's our starting 10/12 gone. Massive blow for the U20's.

Healy and French will step up

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Heymans wrote: »
    Massive loss. Best player in the Cup last year. He'll be back in the Academy over the coming seasons

Not taking anything away from him he’s a terrific player but He played 2 games in the cup last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Not taking anything away from him he’s a terrific player but He played 2 games in the cup last year

bEsT pLaYeR iN tHe CuP

Heymans wrote: »
    Maybe best player in a provincial schools comp and didnt play much in the cup

Anyway Healy/French are top class academy players and will be fine to step up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Ah jaysus Daire O'Brien is unbearable. How does he manage to get this gig?

The French 8 is as big as most professional number 8's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Some of the French lads are huge.
    Jospeh in particular is a man amongst boys.

• Advertisement

And is underage next year as well having played 20s last year

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Started for racing two weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Great try. Great pass from Flannery

Great start
    Wycherly try after great break by French
    10-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Well done from the fullback, lovely try

French try came from poor restart work after our try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Clarkson getting knocked over like a rag doll

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Score? Any good? Wanted to watch this but no luck with a stream (outside Ireland)

clsmooth wrote: »
    Score? Any good? Wanted to watch this but no luck with a stream (outside Ireland)
    10-7 to Ireland 19 mins gone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Wren been impressive every game.

French props look ropey at the scrum. Went straight down there and should've been an Irish pen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement