Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photofacials

Options
  • 27-06-2018 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

When I told my dermatologist today about wanting to lighten my freckles safely, she gave me some information about photofacial treatment, or IPL. It's a light treatment used to lighten brown spots, fix broken capillaries and reduce redness from rosacea. I have very sensitive skin that freckled a lot from childhood sun exposure, and not in the cute way that YouTube make up artists like to create. I also have some slight rosacea since it's so sensitive.

Since I was a teenager, I've been using sunscreen daily, never tanned - I got made fun of a lot for being pale, but I figured it would be worth to have nice skin. And I do - my skin is in great condition these days. But the freckles from my childhood never really faded. It looks like this photofacial treatment can have some dramatic results. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Those treatments break down the fat in your skin and cause premature ageing/sagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭xxXCuteypieXxx

Those treatments break down the fat in your skin and cause premature ageing/sagging.

On the contrary, ipl treatments stimulate your skins natural function of formulating collagen. Resulting in healthier, stronger skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

On the contrary, ipl treatments stimulate your skins natural function of formulating collagen. Resulting in healthier, stronger skin.

Yes, that's what my dermatologist told me. I would assume they would know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm getting one of these done Thursday, to treat pigmentation and scarring. I'll update with how I get on. I've heard they're very painful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Just to update, I had this done a week ago. It was a quick procedure, but there was some pain involved. Not a lot, but I wouldn't class it as a relaxing facial. First, they had me wash my face and put a covering over my hair. They lathered my face with a cooling cream and put cotton balls over my eyes and little goggles to hold them in place. Then they started zapping me with a laser. The laser is very hot and they put it right on my skin. The worst bits were the upper lip and upper cheek area. After they were done, they wiped the gel off of my face and put a cool, damp towel over it. They told me I could lie there with the towel for as long as I wanted, so I waited for about 5- 10 minutes. My face felt sunburned, but that faded away after a couple of hours.

Over the next few days, many of my freckles turned darker, like coffee grounds, and then flaked off. I have a lot of freckles, so I didn't lose them all, but I lost a noticeable amount. It also took away some redness from my nose/upper lip area. I'm very happy with the results. Even though my freckles aren't 100% gone, it's made a big difference to my skin. I wear pretty light foundation and you could always see my freckles through it. Now, with that same amount of foundation, you can't see any freckles. My skin looks brighter and more even in tone. I may try to do one of these annually!

• Advertisement
Advertisement