Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OldVelos Vintage Classic 2018 - August 25/26

Options
  • 27-06-2018 7:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

The OldVelos Vintage Classic cycle and exhibition returns to the Waterford Greenway on August 25th & 26th.

42318126654_7c54ae7f96_z.jpg

Headquartered at Coach House Coffee in Kilmacthomas, the spectacle promises classic racing and road bikes of yesteryear resplendent in Autumn sunshine. Saturday’s free exhibition and Concours d’Elegance prizegiving showcases the efforts of the many enthusiastic Irish and international rebuilders and restorers – whose families have put up with hours of tinkering and polishing for this keenly contested competition, sponsored by bike parts manufacturer SRAM. Much jubilation and parts swapping is expected.

Sunday’s OldVelos Vintage Classic cycle offers two routes. The 25mile Curraghmore Loop see riders of classic bikes, roadsters and highnellies enjoying the magnificent facility that is the Waterford Greenway before proceeding for coffee and buns at the historic Curraghmore Estate in Portlaw. For the more adventurous, the Comeragh Loop with 50 & 75 mile options will test the metal of both bike and rider as would-be racers traverse the terrain that preceded the careers of Seán Kelly and Sam Bennett.
    For more information and to register for the OldVelos Vintage Classic see www.oldvelos.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

And if you like the idea of that, you might just like this video to: https://youtu.be/3Y6XoOGDUc8

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting sponsor - a company whose components are all less than 30 years old!

Ah yes true Magic, but I'd suggest their staff may be somewhat older!!

We're delighted to have SRAM on board - wouldn't have happened last year without them.

Bren

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Don't SRAM have a base down in Waterford or something? Fair play to them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Small but significant SRAM office in the city alright.

And they are very good at supporting local events.

Won't make it myself this year Brendan unless the folks whose wedding I am travelling abroad for that weekend have a major falling out in the next couple of months. Fingers crossed. My only new stuff, apart from upgrades to what I already have, is a pair of pristine early mid nineties Colnago Masters Decors anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Fingers crossed.
    genuine LOL.

Bold on more than one account Quigs, imagine giving up the opportunity of OldVelos. Unheard of old boy!

There is the chance of course they'll see your post on boards and the falling out will be with you, unless, I suppose, if you're the groom!

Everyone else welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

All roads lead to Cill Mhic Thomáisín!!

I'll be down your way over the summer months taking the sun of granted Brendan

Do you still have that ALAN CX frame?

A timely event for it's first outing with my piano legs!!

Rud a chinnt a Sheáin,

Is feidir liom an fráma sin a thabhaird do mo mhuintir i Locha Liath más maith leat?

Bren

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

Sin smaoineamh! Fan bumaide haí!

• Advertisement

Of course that should have been Greystones rather than Greyholes - a different place altogether! No such mistakes for the venue for the OldVelos Vintage Classic: Kilmacthomas!

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/oldvelos-vintage-classic/19096

Not long left to enter folks - help us help you and get your entry in soon!

Hi folks,

Have a beautiful steed - why not enter the OldVelos Concours d'Elégance?

http://www.oldvelos.com/concours-delegance/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Damn, I would love to enter my bike in the Best Dutch & Belgian category, but helas it is over in said lands. I'll see about bringing it back for next year.

Going to see if I can swing by the event on the Sunday.

Hi all,

Here are the medium and long routes for this year's OldVelos Vintage Classic next weekend. We hope we'll see you there, but if not, keep them for your backroads cycles along the Greenway and around the Déise. As ever more detail on www.oldvelos.com Cheers, Brendan

https://www.strava.com/activities/1134964561

https://www.strava.com/activities/1781326544

42310604480_0dc4331548_z.jpgWP_20180818_041 by Didawah, on Flickr

So, after months planning, the weekend is upon us. Many thought it would never happen again, a full display of pomp and ceremony, with a huge Italian influence.

Yes, the OldVelos Vintage Classic starts tomorrow and you're all welcome!

Speaking of Italians - we'll have Fausto Coppi's bike on display.

Come and see it, and otehr classic bikes, at the OldVelos Vintage Classic at Coffee Coach House, Kilmacthomas, Waterford Greenway.

Brendan

Hello all,

This short 4 minute clip gives a nice reminder of our day in the Déise.

https://youtu.be/uPojfiEZJVA

More videos and pics on www.oldvelos.com

Brendan

Advertisement