Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to alert driver of presence?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'd rather you hammer on my van even if you dent it than me injuring you. It's a no brainer

Driver was being a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭bmc58

Borderfox wrote: »
    The one where I knocked on the window was coming up behind and on top of me, no way to slow down. If someone wants to leave the safety of their car and come over and start threatening me they better have the courage of their convictions
    My point exactly.Agression and a fight or worse to sort out even the slightest of incidents is what we in ireland are witnessing today.

you should try cycling. telling us your experience as a car driver does little to help cyclists when they find themselves in similar situations. especially when your line of defence - the car horn - is not available to us.
    (speaking as a car driver with 24 years experience, no convictions or penalty points).

Can't cycle.I'm a Disabled Driver..ha,ha.

you should try cycling. telling us your experience as a car driver does little to help cyclists when they find themselves in similar situations. especially when your line of defence - the car horn - is not available to us.
    (speaking as a car driver with 24 years experience, no convictions or penalty points).
    As a moderator on Boards you should not be so quick to judge people.Not everyone who drives is able to cycle.Once again i say,people need to calm down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bmc58 wrote: »
    As a moderator on Boards you should not be so quick to judge people.Not everyone who drives is able to cycle.Once again i say,people need to calm down a bit.
    In fairness to magicbastarder, you did say....
    ... if I was to jump out of the car and stand up for my rights.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm not sure where I'm guilty of any judgment to be fair.

Well ok,I could have said it better.But being disabled I can still get out of and in to my car .Maybe "jump" was not the right word as I walk with the use of crutches.I'll give you that one.

But my point still stands.People in cars and on bikes have become so agressive to each other.We all need to calm down and if there's bad behaviour from either group there's no need for punching or kicking each other .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,068 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you go around with the attitude of standing up for your rights all the time you will end up with a very high blood pressure reading.
    Quite the opposite - being assertive is generally quite relaxing, cathartic and maybe even life-affirming. There is generally no aggression or swearing involved - just one adult talking to another adult. Maybe it's the advantage of being on the bike, that you don't need to 'jump out' to have a chat. You'll usually catch up with the driver at the next lights, so it's not hard to ask them to give you more room or put their phone down or whatever.

You can put that on your tombstone !
    Why don't you put it on Rose Hoey's tombstone? Are you really happy to take dangerous, life-threatening equipment out on the road and blame others for it's poor design?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Can't cycle.I'm a Disabled Driver..ha,ha.
    Plenty of disabled cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Quite the opposite - being assertive is generally quite relaxing, cathartic and maybe even life-affirming. There is generally no aggression or swearing involved - just one adult talking to another adult. Maybe it's the advantage of being on the bike, that you don't need to 'jump out' to have a chat. You'll usually catch up with the driver at the next lights, so it's not hard to ask them to give you more room or put their phone down or whatever.

Why don't you put it on Rose Hoey's tombstone? Are you really happy to take dangerous, life-threatening equipment out on the road and blame others for it's poor design?

Accidents will happen, we are humans. Unless you never broke a rule on the road. Very sorry about Rose, but there were two wrongs in that accident, the trucks lights and not crossing the road at the pedestrian lights.

We need all to be aware of the blind spots.

Accidents will happen, we are humans. Unless you never broke a rule on the road. Very sorry about Rose, but there were two wrongs in that accident, the trucks lights and not crossing the road at the pedestrian lights.

We need all to be aware of the blind spots.

There are no pedestrian lights. She was crossing a cul-de-sac side road joining a main road when she crushed by a reversing driver with no reversing alarm on his truck. But you want to blame the victim, right?

https://goo.gl/maps/1wBtJ82LT2J2

They're not 'accidents'. The Gardai don't call them accidents. The RSA don't call them accidents. The whole 'accident' terminology was a masterstroke PR campaign from the motor industry in the 1930s USA to get drivers off the hook for killing people, and it has stuck ever since.

https://www.crashnotaccident.com/

They are collisions, not crashes. They are not inevitable. Any HGV operator sending drivers out on the road, knowing that they have blind spots and not fitting enough special mirrors, or cameras or providing extra crew on watch has blood on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If a car is alongside you and moving into your space, and you have nowhere laterally to move, the most sensible course of action is to brake.

Since you can brake easily at 6m.s-2, within one second you are 3m further back, i.e. behind the car, more or less.

Aside from anything else, if you're possibly about to have a crash it is usually better to have it going more slowly, and so if you're 1 second away from a crash you should use that second to reduce your speed differential with the ground.

Of course, humans are not sensible.

There are no pedestrian lights. She was crossing a cul-de-sac side road joining a main road when she crushed by a reversing driver with no reversing alarm on his truck. But you want to blame the victim, right?

https://goo.gl/maps/1wBtJ82LT2J2

They're not 'accidents'. The Gardai don't call them accidents. The RSA don't call them accidents. The whole 'accident' terminology was a masterstroke PR campaign from the motor industry in the 1930s USA to get drivers off the hook for killing people, and it has stuck ever since.

https://www.crashnotaccident.com/

They are collisions, not crashes. They are not inevitable. Any HGV operator sending drivers out on the road, knowing that they have blind spots and not fitting enough special mirrors, or cameras or providing extra crew on watch has blood on their hands.

Maybe take it up with the government. Truck drivers attend a course each year and the blind spots are highlighted to them. Until the law changes we need to be smart and safe.

Maybe take it up with the government. Truck drivers attend a course each year and the blind spots are highlighted to them. Until the law changes we need to be smart and safe.
    It doesn't require the law to change. It just requires people to stop victim blaming and start actually blaming those who are actually responsible - the HGV operators who send out drivers with dangerous equipment and no plan to address the risk arising.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Totally illegal. You don't even have to be on a call for it to be illegal.
    ted1 wrote: »
    I'm certain

That can't be the case. 7 out of 8 drivers use their phone like the image below.
    I mean if that was as illegal as someone holding the phone to their ear then why would they be doing it?

1006_driving-cell-phone-1000x582.jpg

Effects wrote: »
    That can't be the case. 7 out of 8 drivers use their phone like the image below.
    Four out of five drivers break speed limits. It's illegal, but they still do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

Bull****.
    Everything has blindspots. Trucks, cars, cyclists and pedestrians.
    It is up to all users to be aware of blind spots and not to put themselves into one.
    Mirrors and cameras are good but can fail or be broken.
    Putting yourself in a blind spot is just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Four out of five drivers break speed limits. It's illegal, but they still do it.
    Don’t feed the trolls

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I mean if that was as illegal as someone holding the phone to their ear then why would they be doing it?

I sincerely hope you're not being serious as that level of ignorance is dangerous.

• Advertisement

It doesn't require the law to change. It just requires people to stop victim blaming and start actually blaming those who are actually responsible - the HGV operators who send out drivers with dangerous equipment and no plan to address the risk arising.

They have passed all the quality tests safety tests .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

ted1 wrote: »
    Don’t feed the trolls

You got me.

I just don't get the spas who think holding your phone in front of you while using speaker phone is any different than having a phone up to your ear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Whomever sent a truck that shouldn't have been out on the street as it didn't have functioning reverse lights or any audible warnings should be held responsible. Leave the victim blaming out.

yesto24 wrote: »
    Bull****.
    Everything has blindspots. Trucks, cars, cyclists and pedestrians.
    It is up to all users to be aware of blind spots and not to put themselves into one.
    Mirrors and cameras are good but can fail or be broken.
    Putting yourself in a blind spot is just stupid.
    So you're blaming 85 year old Rose Hoey for getting run down by a reversing truck?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/coroner-s-court/reverse-lights-broken-on-truck-which-killed-ranelagh-pedestrian-1.2567865

They have passed all the quality tests safety tests .

Did they pass the test of Section 8 of the 2005 Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act requires employers to ensure that machinery is designed, provided and maintained so as to be safe and without risk to health. Was the machinery covered by a risk assessment in accordance with section 19 of that Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

To the OP I'd fully agree with your actions.

A rap or open hand smack on a roof is fair game in my opinion if a vehicle is closing you into the kerb and putting you in danger.

You will not damage their car or paintwork once you've no ring on. If captain oblivious is that oblivious he needs to be alerted to it.

People awful protective of their vehicles and talk about all the things they'd do if a cyclist dare touch their property. Bull****. They have no moral compass? They have no problem with injuring a cyclist through carelessness or ineptitude? A tin box will not be damaged by a wrap or a slap. And no driver is actually gonna attack a cyclist for not damaging his car. He'll shout and maybe whinge and go very red in the face and tell all.his mates what a big tough guy he is.

I would however never bother getting into an argument. No one who opens a window or gets out of a vehicle or opposingly pulls up on a bike ; is looking for a constructive discussion. They are looking to be right. All a bit pointless really.

If a driver closed in close enough that I could rap on their car and then jumped out for a row I would shrug and be on my way.

Speaking as a CAR driver, VAN driver, HGV driver, TRACTOR driver, EXCAVATOR driver, cyclist, MOXY driver, JCB driver.........

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

I don't know.
    I don't know all the details of that case.
    But it is possible she was responsible.
    The point of my comment was that we all have to be aware of blind spots.
    I drive a small van and have big blind spots I wish everyone else was aware of them.
    Just today I had a fool of a motorcyclist hang in my blindspots. Lucky for him I saw him before when he was further back behind me.
    But if I had moved lanes I would have taken him out, and why would I have moved lane? Because he was overtaking on my left.
    So to repeat all road users need to know about blindspots and all users should avoid being in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

......- the HGV operators who send out drivers with dangerous equipment and no plan to address the risk arising.
    The operator may not have been aware of the defects, and, in fairness, would have no way of knowing unless it is reported to them. Every HGV driver is required to do routine daily checks on any vehicle assigned to them and to report any irregularities to their employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

I didn't read all the thread. If someone knocked on my car I would definately get a fright. I think a bell would be good /less aggressive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and pretty much inaudible to a driver. to the point of being irrelevant.

Advertisement