Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

_Brian wrote: »
    Interesting article on “lab grown meat” and some of the issues involved with its production.

https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2019/01/07/viewpoint-lab-grown-meat-isnt-as-clean-as-you-might-think/

I was particularly interested to see that it’s grown from stem cells extracted from beef animals, so it’s not suitable for vegan or vegetarians either, must remember that nugget when the V & V crew are away on a rant about how lab grown meat will replace “real animal” beef.

When the process is described it sounds disgusting :(

I like your style :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Birdnuts wrote: »
    So its fine to pollute so long as one is making money?? Sure why have any regs for industry or anything else if thats the case:confused: And who pays the tab for contaminated water supplies, fish kills etc?? Its a bit like a garage saying they can make more money by chucking waste oil, tyres etc. in the nearest river instead of disposing of them under the relevant regs!!
    But absolutely nobody said a word about getting rid of regulations. We, as farmers, have to work within fluid and unpredictable weather patterns. I will be going out on Tuesday night/ Wednesday morning regardless of the weather unless it's extremely poor. That's just the way it is.

If that causes pollution then that highlights the difference between my being able to spread when all the needed conditions were absolutely perfect for spreading. Weather, ground conditions, growth rates, time. But it's not permitted by the regulations.

Next week, weather, ground conditions, growth rates won't be as favourable but it's allowed by the regulations.

Which of those two scenarios do you think is going to lead to a greater risk of pollution, the perfect closed period conditions or the imperfect open period conditions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

But absolutely nobody said a word about getting rid of regulations. We, as farmers, have to work within fluid and unpredictable weather patterns. I will be going out on Tuesday night/ Wednesday morning regardless of the weather unless it's extremely poor. That's just the way it is.

If that causes pollution then that highlights the difference between my being able to spread when all the needed conditions were absolutely perfect for spreading. Weather, ground conditions, growth rates, time. But it's not permitted by the regulations.

Next week, weather, ground conditions, growth rates won't be as favourable but it's allowed by the regulations.

Which of those two scenarios do you think is going to lead to a greater risk of pollution, the perfect closed period conditions or the imperfect open period conditions?

Your making perfect sense.

However, during the open season does it not say you shouldn’t spread in unfavourable conditions as chances of pollution are high.

That’s us using the calendar farming blindly just as the department do, two wrongs don’t make a right, particularly if it results in pollution.

I don’t think there’s a perfect answer to this problem.
    No doubt during the closed period the cast majority of the time the ground conditions are unsuitable for spreading so it makes sense “most” of the time.

My neighbor piped out stuff two weeks ago, during the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

However, during the open season does it not say you shouldn’t spread in unfavourable conditions as chances of pollution are high.

That’s us using the calendar farming blindly just as the department do, two wrongs don’t make a right, particularly if it results in pollution.

No doubt during the closed period the cast majority of the time the ground conditions are unsuitable for spreading so it makes sense “most” of the time.

I think the wording is "if heavy rain is forcast"

BUT THEY STARTED IT:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

BUT THEY STARTED IT:D

I wouldn't blame people for spreading, the conditions are so good It can't be doing any harm
    but I wouldn't be putting pics upon twitter either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

wrangler wrote: »
    I wouldn't blame people for spreading, the conditions are so good It can't be doing any harm
    but I wouldn't be putting pics upon twitter either

That's it in a nut shell. Same goes for any media platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

ganmo wrote: »

You gotta love the assured way they walk. They don't even look at the cars. When you're top predator, you own the place. It's good to be the King.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That's it in a nut shell. Same goes for any media platform.

Totally agree.
    But sometimes it's not the offender/owner doing the posting on social media but some busy body with a grudge.
    That's a whole different ball game that we all need to watch out for.

If you're spreading a few days before the limit and posting it online, then you're one lonely idiot.

• Advertisement

It isn't just irish farmers that are weak, I see another miserable yellow vest protest today in Dublin.
    Comparing us to the french is very much wishful thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭148multi

Would this be eligible for a tams grant

https://youtu.be/DbBzgTdYI5Y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭emaherx

148multi wrote: »

Why would you want half a ring feeder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

emaherx wrote: »
    Why would you want half a ring feeder?

to fit on top of the other half!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It's like something my dad would do. Recently tied a gate on top of the jeep and brought it to out farm. Also put a double steel meal trough over the arms on front of digger lifted the loader up when he met a car and the trough hit the windscreen and smashed it.

Great use of indicators though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

I think we all have dads like that!!! Was there a special school they all went to because they all have similar mentality!!!And my father would see nothing wrong with it-few years ago he bought 4calves in the back of the van tied up-spent an hour trying to untangle legs!!!

My electrician died today. Always on call even came over on Christmas day a few years ago when my milking machine wouldn't start. Real old school. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Burning Tires

Walked the farm today. The contractors trailing shoe will worth its cost tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Walked the farm today. The contractors trailing shoe will worth its cost tomorrow.

What price is he?

I took a few soil samples today, Kerry has a €20 a sample deal and a lad comes in to do it. I was surprised at the amount of grass, even the late grazed paddocks were stronger than expected.

Anyway, the pup here was very sick all week and had no interest in going outside but as soon as she saw the lad dressed to go, off like a shot with her down the fields.

The two of them had great sport with the pup running up to him and bouncing off him and off again around the field. I think he's off to get a pup tonight :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

When you buy a spreader on the " spur of the moment"!

JqyiW9q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Reggie. wrote: »
    What price is he?

Ours is €60/hr.

You have to wonder sometimes....just back from A&E as my dad had to be admitted again and said I'd throw my eyes over the cows and of course ones started calving....going to bed and I'll check on her in an hour or so....she's due since the 31st and picks tonight!! Not half tired!!

L1985 wrote: »
    You have to wonder sometimes....just back from A&E as my dad had to be admitted again and said I'd throw my eyes over the cows and of course ones started calving....going to bed and I'll check on her in an hour or so....she's due since the 31st and picks tonight!! Not half tired!!

Hope your dad and the cow are ok

• Advertisement

Dad will be fine-they just need to adjust his medication as it's too strong. Hoping he will be left out today or tomorrow. Cow had a lovely big CH Bull and she knows her job and just gets on with it. I usually put a second calf on her but don't know if I'll have the time or energy this year. Just exhausted last night!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Power went off during milking this morning
    Esb said 11am fix :eek:
    So We hooked up the 23 yr old froment magnate generator and milked on

They're 3500 inc vat now in glanbia stores btw and if you're a glanbia supplier there's cheap finance
    You'll get the 23% vat back

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Power went off during milking this morning
    Esb said 11am fix :eek:
    So We hooked up the 23 yr old froment magnate generator and milked on

They're 3500 inc vat now in glanbia stores btw and if you're a glanbia supplier there's cheap finance
    You'll get the 23% vat back

We had to use ours a few weeks back. Great peace of mind having it there on standby

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

General question roughly how much an acre would it cost to sow potatoes as in ploughing/harrowing/sowing/ buying seeds/ weed killer and fertilizer? Not worried bout the spraying for blight yet just initial sowing all will be done by contractor bar spraying and spreading fertilizers. After tough year for beef am going spread things round bit. Cheers in advance for any estimates

marathon wrote: »
    General question roughly how much an acre would it cost to sow potatoes as in ploughing/harrowing/sowing/ buying seeds/ weed killer and fertilizer? Not worried bout the spraying for blight yet just initial sowing all will be done by contractor bar spraying and spreading fertilizers. After tough year for beef am going spread things round bit. Cheers in advance for any estimates

Teagasc costs for 2017, you'll get potatoes on page 7

https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2017/Crop-Margains-2017.pdf

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    Teagasc costs for 2017, you'll get potatoes on page 7

https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2017/Crop-Margains-2017.pdf
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Burning Tires

Reggie. wrote: »
    What price is he?

2000 gal tanker. 60/hr. All that i wanted spread is out now :) started at 8, and averaged 3 loads an hr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Fully commercially about 2k/acre. Depends on irrigation etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Anyone know when Rare Breed will be on Virgin Media TV? It’s on Thursday at 8:30 on UTV but can’t see it on the TV guide at all

Fully commercially about 2k/acre. Depends on irrigation etc...
    And just one more question where best place buy certified seed I’m in southeast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

And just one more question where best place buy certified seed I’m in southeast?

Kehoe Brothers The Moyne Enniscorthy
    I really think you need to do a bit more research on you project. There is a reason most potato growers are in a big way and its not for the faint of heart.
    I was talking to some one today with 10 acres of crop that are scabbed and the consumer wont take them harmless and all as it is.

For those plagued with problems keeping lights going on trailers, Sparex have wireless rechargeable magnetic lights that can be recharged in one hour to guve 10 hours of lights. There's a bit in the Journal about them.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/wireless-magnetic-led-lights-a-game-changer-430546

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Kehoe Brothers The Moyne Enniscorthy
    I really think you need to do a bit more research on you project. There is a reason most potato growers are in a big way and its not for the faint of heart.
    I was talking to some one today with 10 acres of crop that are scabbed and the consumer wont take them harmless and all as it is.

Spuds need to be rotated every 3 years and preferbaly 5 and the ph kept low to stop scab. Waste spuds are a great feed for cattle too

Just when you thought it was safe to come out from under the duvet..

https://www.efanews.eu/item/6053

You find out the cult have deeper pockets and more influence than you previously thought.

On the plus side.
    There's no need to ask where all the money came from for those billboards anymore.

Lovely message all the same on the vegan posters proselytizing about animals being separated from their mothers and then to find out where the money comes from, that daughters get stoned to death when caught trying to flee their parents.

• Advertisement

Just when you thought it was safe to come out from under the duvet..

https://www.efanews.eu/item/6053

You find out the cult have deeper pockets and more influence than you previously thought.

On the plus side.
    There's no need to ask where all the money came from for those billboards anymore.

Hardly surprising

Spuds need to be rotated every 3 years and preferbaly 5 and the ph kept low to stop scab. Waste spuds are a great feed for cattle too

What price per ton are good spuds making and what's the feeding price?

whelan2 wrote: »
    What price per ton are good spuds making and what's the feeding price?

Anyting from 500-700 ton i guess for good spuds to local retailers in 5/10 kg bags We never sold feeding spuds. Cull cows used to do great on them here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I've had the 'pleasure' of vegans on various social media going on about babies being seperated from their mothers for over a decade
    Its nothing new to them
    My answer is blunt,if you're that fúckin purist,go suck on your mother's boobs and see what she says

Anyting from 500-700 ton i guess for good spuds to local retailers in 5/10 kg bags We never sold feeding spuds. Cull cows used to do great on them here
    And what’s an average ton per acre and what high ton per acre I going soil sample this week all will be fresh ground was only in pasture before? As in is it 5 ton/acre or what?

And what’s an average ton per acre and what high ton per acre I going soil sample this week all will be fresh ground was only in pasture before? As in is it 5 ton/acre or what?

If you can make out the gross margin chart on the link I put up, the yields are between 30 and 50 ton/ha or about 12 to 20 ton/acre
    They're only valuing the crop at €200/ton, but thats the cost left on the headland, storing grading and marketing aren't included in the costs.
    Prices are notoriously volatile.
    They'll grow very well in fresh land, but big potatoes aren't ideal either

Oh draws boxes of spuds to different processors for a local farmer. They are very picky on what they will take and more often than not he has returns to bring back to the farmer from previous loads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Not in spud country by any means, but I thought yield was about 18 ton per acre.
    Some varieties, if you don't spray them off, will grow on to 30 ton per acre, but be unsalable.

Would a chipper take the big ones or would they see it as too much work cutting them up??

• Advertisement

Id say 7 ton sold /acre and youre doing well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement