Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

whelan2 wrote: »
    Had health and safety inspection today, had to delay him for a while as one of the kids was ill today. He was very good about it. Walked through the yard and pointed out a few things, l have to get mirrors on my digger, a u guard on the pto on my case. A few of those grids that go under the galvanised slat man holes. Have 2 months to sort it out. Took about an hour

Did he ask for safety statement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mayota wrote: »
    Did he ask for safety statement?

Yes, I had it ready. He also gave me a form for builder who is going to do new shed for me to sign so I have no liability if anything happens any of them while constructing the sheds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

This new Garda Commissioner is rattling a lot of cages.

He's offered a public apology for the force not doing their job.
    3,500 children/juveniles got away with 8,000 crimes and weren't prosecuted over a 7 year period because the guards didn't do their job properly.

This new Garda Commissioner is rattling a lot of cages.

He's offered a public apology for the force not doing their job.
    3,500 children/juveniles got away with 8,000 crimes and weren't prosecuted over a 7 year period because the guards didn't do their job properly.
    He's also being given out to over excess morning after check points

Ah well, you know where those so and so's can go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ah well, you know where those so and so's can go.

Not to the pub anyway:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I thought breathalysing was a desk job now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Sorry didn't mean to do that per say, was jus explaining to wrangler after reggie, reggie and numerous others have their anonymity wiped long ago on twitter and various other social media, so your not the only one.

Ahsure look! Worse things could go up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Anyone know when Rare Breed will be on Virgin Media TV? It’s on Thursday at 8:30 on UTV but can’t see it on the TV guide at all

Virgin Media Tv is usually a week behind so maybe this year is the same.
    On UTV tonight, looking forward to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Grueller

George Lee on radio 1 about that sham study from the Eat vegan group made to look legitimate by including likeminded scientists telling us what to do.
    Now it didn't say any of that in his spiel but he didn't say that it was a worldwide vegan group with money coming from Saudi Arabia that led this study. Money can buy you anything and anyone.

Anything to be said for a twitter movement #8mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Grueller wrote: »
    Anything to be said for a twitter movement #8mate

Better than a toilet movement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

What do you call a person that used to like tractors?

An extractor fan.

Not mine, just heard it there on radio! :D

Muckit wrote: »
    What do you call a person that used to like tractors?

An extractor fan.

Not mine, just heard it there on radio! :D

Why do cows have hooves?

Because they lactose!

Did you hear about the magic tractor?
    It turned into a field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Ahhh jaysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Did you hear about the wooden tractor ?

It had wooden wheels, wooden engine, wooden transmission and wooden work.

Dosed the sucklers this morning with the dosing hook. It's a great job for awkward cows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Dosed the sucklers this morning with the dosing hook. It's a great job for awkward cows

What make or model do you have and price?

I use pour on myself but sometimes I have oral dose left over by the sheep.

kk.man wrote: »
    What make or model do you have and price?

I use pour on myself but sometimes I have oral dose left over by the sheep.

I got it free with dosing a few years ago. Don't think there's a make on it

• Advertisement

Seeing as we look like having clear shies over the country on Sunday night, there's a lunar eclipse due Sunday night/Monday morning.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/take-a-day-off-work-or-school-astronomy-experts-recommend-ahead-of-lunar-eclipse-next-week-37724978.html

Seeing as we look like having clear shies over the country on Sunday night, there's a lunar eclipse due Sunday night/Monday morning.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/take-a-day-off-work-or-school-astronomy-experts-recommend-ahead-of-lunar-eclipse-next-week-37724978.html
    4 o'clock in the morning!

Are you joking, there's no one in Ireland will see that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

That's the time I have perm set on my phone at the moment-it's calving season!! So I'll get to see it!!

Every other eclipse that's been visible in Ireland happens when it's clouded over here so I'll get up for a gawk.

How's the spawn of Satan (the geep) doing Buford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

There was a time in many of our younger days that we'd be up at that hour.... On our way home from somewhere or other :-)

• Advertisement

There was a time in many of our younger days that we'd be up at that hour.... On our way home from somewhere or other :-)

I never thought I'd hear tell of a farmer retiring from the calving shed..

I never thought I'd hear tell of a farmer retiring from the calving shed..

Oddly enough this is the first year in my lifetime that we don't have a cow calving on the farm this spring. Sad in a way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Oddly enough this is the first year in my lifetime that we don't have a cow calving on the farm this spring. Sad in a way.

What are you at instead?

I know what you mean but then it's not all nice living weeks/months as an insomniac.

What are you at instead?

I may buy heifers of some description. We always kept the weanling heifers to beef and bought in some so I suppose something like that.
    I'd a few Bullocks last year. So maybe that too.

I considered a few Wh or AA heifers too but they're not something I know much about. It was always very good continental cattle we kept.
    No matter how good your stock are now they're not wanted when you go to kill them. I don't think I was ever as disillusioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Grueller

I may buy heifers of some description. We always kept the weanling heifers to beef and bought in some so I suppose something like that.

I considered a few Wh or AA heifers too but they're not something I know much about. It was always very good continental cattle we kept.
    No matter how good your stock are now they're not wanted when you go to kill them. I don't think I was ever as disillusioned.

Tis a constant onslaught. Brexit, veganism, climate change, headlines of beef going to €2.50 a kilo. I think its time to wait for the outcome of CAP 2020 and start environmental farming, prptecting payments and not be a busy fool.

Was driving to and from football last night. Do cars not have indicators anymore? Serious amount of drivers expect you to be psychic. Don't get me started about people driving on roundabouts, how some people passed their test I'll never know

Was driving to and from football last night. Do cars not have indicators anymore? Serious amount of drivers expect you to be psychic. Don't get me started about people driving on roundabouts, how some people passed their test I'll never know

Between that and the foglights being on the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I often think the national debt could be paid off with the fines I'd hand out!
    There's a T junction near me where people just don't stop never mind indicate

I nearly lost the plot with one lad in an estate car. He was in front of me most of the way to the pitch. No indicators, braking for no reason. Not moving off when lights went green. Driving at 20mph....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What are you at instead?

At the moment we are in a perfect storm. Brexit, high numbers of stock in the counrty and a huge kill driven by lads short of silage and a really good autumn have reduced slaughter prices due to high kill numbers. As well rations are expensive. Expect prices to start to rise as numbers for slaughter start to drop.
    The Chinese word for danger and opportunity are the same. For lads with low stock numbers this is an opportunity. Prices of yearlings are my understanding is that FR yearlings are 100+ there weight and hereford and other coloured yearlings are around 200+ there weight. I was not at a Mart so cannot confirm. You would not go too wrong putting in 10-20 of each.

When you go to sell is is immaterial what the price is as you take you profit margin as a finisher and try to pass extra profit or loss back down the line

Slava Ukrainii

How's the spawn of Satan (the geep) doing Buford?

He has 2 new friends, the fecker.
    2DFjHhW.jpg
    I must try and get a pic of the other lad later.

2DFjHhW.jpg

What are ya breeding down there

Reggie. wrote: »
    What are ya breeding down there
    And he's the good looking one:D

I reckon one of the late ram lambs must have been fertile and had a few goes before he was sold.

They're funny as they all have black hair, not wool I'd say, along their flanks and underneath. I've never seen anything like them before, we've had a few black lambs over the years but nothing like those lads.

And he's the good looking one:D

I reckon one of the late ram lambs must have been fertile and had a few goes before he was sold.

They're funny as they all have black hair, not wool I'd say, along their flanks and underneath. I've never seen anything like them before, we've had a few black lambs over the years but nothing like those lads.
    No pat mustards about?

• Advertisement

No pat mustards about?
    None, all from inside here. Unless the poly bull got a bit frisky last August:eek:

None, all from inside here. Unless the poly bull got a bit frisky last August:eek:

Always was a weird part of the country

Very interesting
    https://farmcarbon.co.nz/

2DFjHhW.jpg

One for the local livestock show later in the year.

I presume the goat and sheep sections are beside each other? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

What he has left out though is that we are introducing fertilizer produced via fossil fuels which invariably adds more methane to the cycle because it allows us feed more cattle and also has a carbon cost at the fertilizer production end.

Farmer wrote: »
    What he has left out though is that we are introducing fertilizer produced via fossil fuels which invariably adds more methane to the cycle because it allows us feed more cattle and also has a carbon cost at the fertilizer production end.

There's also the argument that fertilizer is increasing above ground carbon capture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Borrowed mare to keep the grass down :D

470811.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

2DFjHhW.jpg

I kinda want one....he is ridiculously cute!!!don't think my fencing skills would be up to it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

L1985 wrote: »
    I kinda want one....he is ridiculously cute!!!don't think my fencing skills would be up to it!!

Christ! The jumping ability of a goat and the brains of a sheep! Doesn’t bode well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Borrowed mare to keep the grass down :D

470811.jpg

Lovely mare, but she won’t be keeping the grass down when you’re feeding her hay:0

Is she in foal or will you be out with the mane comb? Fair bit of pulling to be done there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement