Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

Water John wrote: »
    We are all idiots in this business. No point in chasing this again but these salaries are loola.
    Re IFA:
    'Meanwhile, the average remuneration for the top 15 staff in the organisation, excluding management, was €131,539 – an increase of just under €6,000 on the previous year.'

This is outside of Executive Management.

A 4.8% increase, sure why not. Where do I sign up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Ard_MC wrote: »
    How did the dog turn out? Much hassle with the inspection?

The dog is still in the vets, very shook this evening, vet said that it takes a while for the blood to kick in but she is definitely sicker this evening than this morning.
    The donor is home and well. Looking at the bait points today, I can't see how she got the poison bar eating a dead rat
    No hassle with the inspection

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

wrangler wrote: »
    The dog is still in the vets, very shook this evening, vet said that it takes a while for the blood to kick in but she is definitely sicker this evening than this morning.
    The donor is home and well. Looking at the bait points today, I can't see how she got the poison bar eating a dead rat
    No hassle with the inspection

Hopefully she comes out of it. Hateful when that happens. Lost 1 this summer in a freak accident and you be kicking yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

whelan2 wrote: »
    Our sky box has had no signal since Thursday, Only realise at night time how much we miss it. So hard to get in contact with sky, even to find a phone number on line for them. Engineer to come out tomorrow, he'd better come as Liverpool are playing tomorrow night :eek:

Sky engineer was to be here between 4 and 6. He arrived at 6.45. New sky box. Talk about cutting it fine for the game tonight. Phew

It's crap because I told him it was just going to revert back to choosing animals to genotype & god bless him he hadn't a clue what I meant.
    Got a call back from icbf this evening, it was a woman. I was talking to a man this morning and all was fine. She wants us to retest the animal, my dad hadnt a breeze what she was on about either :)

• Advertisement

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Hopefully she comes out of it. Hateful when that happens. Lost 1 this summer in a freak accident and you be kicking yourself.

Sure they're part of the family, sheep dogs are very loyal,
    The one that we got the blood from nearly came out through the cage when she saw us this evening, she kicked up hell even when she heard us talking in reception.
    The sick one wouldn't be as cute even if she was well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

BTW if you do want to change those for genotyping, I don't think they enforce that date rigidly. They didnt with me last year anyway.

We have literally genotyped the whole herd so have to wait for calves to be born. He could not understand that genotyping would be deferred automatically until calves are born.

wrangler wrote: »
    Sure they're part of the family, sheep dogs are very loyal,
    The one that we got the blood from nearly came out through the cage when she saw us this evening, she kicked up hell even when she heard us talking in reception.
    The sick one wouldn't be as cute even if she was well.

How's the dog today?

How's the dog today?

Much improved they tell me. I didn't think she'd make it by the look of her last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Time to find out if Uncle Donald with the funny hair, is who he says he is. :)

• Advertisement

Brought in the last of the cattle today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

First few days away with the baby. Up in Mayo. Pretty miserable out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭emaherx

Clear heard test. :D

First few days away with the baby. Up in Mayo. Pretty miserable out.

Did ye pack up half the house to bring with ye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Brought in the last of the cattle today.

I bought a few little heifers and let them off to clean out a few sheltered paddocks. Nice bit of grass ahead of them and I'll give them a few lb of crunch a head a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I bought a few little heifers and let them off to clean out a few sheltered paddocks. Nice bit of grass ahead of them and I'll give them a few lb of crunch a head a day.

Our wee ones have access to slats but spend their time out in the field by choice.

This morning in the frost and snow they were out playing about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Best fun ever.

I did it and beside finding about three thousand cousins I discovered that I was related to Black Jack Kehoe. An interesting character - leader of the Molly Maguires, the Pennsylvania coal miners organisation, who was hanged for murder in 1877 and pardoned a hundred years later.

He was a first cousin of my Great Grandmother and, whereas there was lots of family history about other ancestors he was never mentioned. I guess having somebody hanged for murder was a blight on the family name and, at the time, not something of which to be proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I was having trouble opening the Carbon Navigator today for an inspection. I was trying to forward on the email with the attachment to the inspector but my computer wouldn't allow me to send it so I had to contact my advisor to scan it again and email it as a pdf file? I think that's right, anyway.

5 minutes to look at the cows and nearly an hour to sort the email:rolleyes:

And my ICBF page says I have everything up to date but I was missing two docility scores for the two inspected cows? It's mad, Ted:(

Rosahane wrote: »
    Best fun ever.

I did it and beside finding about three thousand cousins I discovered that I was related to Black Jack Kehoe. An interesting character - leader of the Molly Maguires, the Pennsylvania coal miners organisation, who was hanged for murder in 1877 and pardoned a hundred years later.

He was a first cousin of my Great Grandmother and, whereas there was lots of family history about other ancestors he was never mentioned. I guess having somebody hanged for murder was a blight on the family name and, at the time, not something of which to be proud.

Well for me, I'd love to know if we have ancestors from the Ibernian Peninsula (Spain and Portugal). Half my family are very dark. You'd swear my brother and sister were Spanish. I know my paternal line have been here since famine times, but our family name is very common around Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

You’d want to be sure it’s not a tin of worms you’re opening with that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Don't do it Patsy, you might be very disappointed:D A few Spaniards survived being shipwrecked along the west coast alright.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Saw a funny video on youtube where this american girl did a DNA test, Not too happy to find out she was ~20% Iberian Peninsula. That's hispanic to a WASP American. Not too happy about it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Rosahane wrote: »
    Best fun ever.

Ive learned a lot about the family tree since ive met up with my uncle out here in Australia, between ancestors involvement in the IRA in 1916 and involvement in the civil war which was never mentioned at home for some reason or other and im told the line goes back someway to Fr Jim Murphy of 1798.
    Also foubd out a lot about my great granuncle of the same age and name as myself who landed in sydney over 100 years ago but unfortunatly joined the imperial forces and got shot inthe neck in fromelles and im tryingto get him onto a local memorial out here at the minute.

Better living everyone

When we were running these ones in today they had to go over the motorway bridge. They would have been over it a good few times before. We got them out of the field and I ran on in front of them. Noticed there was one missing when I went to turn thrm into the yard. One of them point blank refused to go on the bridge. Had to run them all back up the road and get her in the middle of them. Nice tailback of cars after we got them into yard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Caught a piece on Sky news this morning.

Loan sharks are doing a roaring trade with APRs up to 4.5 million %, one lady who borrowed £500 ended up repaying £88k.

Some profit there, must be up there with milking cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Any site's that give good complete advice on calf rearing.
    On milk feeding, straw type and feeding. Meal types and feeding. Dosing routine.
    We do manage every year but would like to fine tune it..

satstheway wrote: »
    Any site's that give good complete advice on calf rearing.
    On milk feeding, straw type and feeding. Meal types and feeding. Dosing routine.
    We do manage every year but would like to fine tune it..

http://animalhealthireland.ie/?page_id=387

Great site. Free from product endorsments too.

Ive learned a lot about the family tree since ive met up with my uncle out here in Australia, between ancestors involvement in the IRA in 1916 and involvement in the civil war which was never mentioned at home for some reason or other and im told the line goes back someway to Fr Jim Murphy of 1798.
    Also foubd out a lot about my great granuncle of the same age and name as myself who landed in sydney over 100 years ago but unfortunatly joined the imperial forces and got shot inthe neck in fromelles and im tryingto get him onto a local memorial out here at the minute.
    We were missing a great grand uncle from our family tree. We knew he had gone to Australia in the 1860s but had no idea what had happened to him after that as he never again contacted the family.

My uncle headed down to Australia a few years ago and had the good luck to come across a local historian who gave him some places to look for information. Turns out he was only there for a few weeks when he went for a swim after work one evening in Melbourne and drowned. The graveyard he was buried in was after being dug up to put up a multi story car park and all the records of people buried there were put online to inform relatives of the new location of their remains. My uncle even found a small article about the accident in a paper there.

Now we just have to find his brothers family in California, all contact lost 40 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭Grueller

I love all the world war 1 and 2 history. Fromelles was an unusual battle in that war as it was fought from embankments rather than trenches. It was also wide open ground where the Germans had complete artillery dominance and roughly twice as many men as the Aussies and British. It was another case of tactical suicide in that war. It was fought as basically a distraction of German forces from the main event at the Somme.
    Have you any desire to visit your great grand uncles grave when you return to Europe? I have a great grand uncle died at Ypres and plan to visit his grave this Summer.

• Advertisement

Only last week I was going into our local graveyard, when I met a woman coming out who wanted to know if I was local. She said there was an Austrialian guy inside looking for his Irish ancestors. Turns out the family he was looking for were once my close neighbours. Crazy but the old family house was only demolished a year ago and a new house being built on it at the moment. I showed him the family grave and took him to where the family home was. He was delighted and gave me a little possum stuffed toy in appreciation. I gave him the number of the woman that was born in the old house too. Must find out from her if he rang her. He told me to visit him If I was ever in Oz.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

http://animalhealthireland.ie/?page_id=387

Great site. Free from product endorsments too.

Thanks for that. I have all the calf leaflets printed here now. 49 pages in all.

It mentions straw but what type is best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Well for me, I'd love to know if we have ancestors from the Ibernian Peninsula (Spain and Portugal). Half my family are very dark. You'd swear my brother and sister were Spanish. I know my paternal line have been here since famine times, but our family name is very common around Galway.

Barna and Carna the sites of the groundings of the Falcon Blanco and the Concepcion de Juanes del Cano from the Armada.
    The Concepcion having being lured to shore at Carna by bonfires of a party of wreckers from the O Flaherty clan.
    It seems the souls on board these ships made it to shore.

-- From Wikipedia.

satstheway wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I have all the calf leaflets printed here now. 49 pages in all.

It mentions straw but what type is best?
    Good straw, I suppose golden barley straw is the best but mine do the finest on oaten straw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Only last week I was going into our local graveyard, when I met a woman coming out who wanted to know if I was local. She said there was an Austrialian guy inside looking for his Irish ancestors. Turns out the family he was looking for were once my close neighbours. Crazy but the old family house was only demolished a year ago and a new house being built on it at the moment. I showed him the family grave and took him to where the family home was. He was delighted and gave me a little possum stuffed toy in appreciation. I gave him the number of the woman that was born in the old house too. Must find out from her if he rang her. He told me to visit him If I was ever in Oz.:rolleyes:
    Your doing well free accomodation in spain and ozzie !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Did ye pack up half the house to bring with ye?

The wife did alright. Here for 3 nights. I brought a tracksuit, t-shirt, 2 pairs of socks and 2 jocks. Plus whatever I'd on at the time of leaving. Have my running gear in the car too cos I plan to go for a trot but it was pure miserable out today so maybe tomorrow. But to answer yer question - 2 cases, and 3 other bags of stuff. Plus toys. And baby food. Took 3 trips up and down to the car to get everything

• Advertisement

Barna and Carna the sites of the groundings of the Falcon Blanco and the Concepcion de Juanes del Cano from the Armada.
    The Concepcion having being lured to shore at Carna by bonfires of a party of wreckers from the O Flaherty clan.
    It seems the souls on board these ships made it to shore.

-- From Wikipedia.

I read somewhere that this whole Spanish Armada thing is greatly exaggerated. There were Spanish to West ireland trading routes long before that. The old Irish of Connaught Connemara have DNA links to the people of the Basque area of northern Spain.
    Did you know that Irish Badgers are Spanish in origin while British ones are not?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/genetic-studies-show-our-closest-relatives-are-found-in-galicia-and-the-basque-region-1.700877

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

Definitely Patsy, and the connection goes away back to copper and bronze age, pre Celts...spent time as tour driver/guide in a past life, and part of the ritual story heading out past Barna and Spiddal, was about not only Iberian but Moroccan influence in the area from pre Celtic times. Also came across traditional Moroccan singing that you would swear was Sean Nos...

Long time ago Patsy, but I must see if I can find my literature from the time...no internet or Google maps that time..

Edit...interesting read here
    https://www.libraryireland.com/articles/IrishLanguageAfricaUJA7-1859/index.php

I read somewhere that this whole Spanish Armada thing is greatly exaggerated. There were Spanish to West ireland trading routes long before that. The old Irish of Connaught Connemara have DNA links to the people of the Basque area of northern Spain.
    Did you know that Irish Badgers are Spanish in origin while British ones are not?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/genetic-studies-show-our-closest-relatives-are-found-in-galicia-and-the-basque-region-1.700877

I was thinking that too with the trading links from Galway city direct with Spain.
    Spanish arch, etc.

But there's no denying those two ships did run agound at Carna and Barna. Don't forget the Armada was an invasion force too and it's most likely how the Connemara pony came into being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭Grueller

I was thinking that too with the trading links from Galway city direct with Spain.
    Spanish arch, etc.

But there's no denying those two ships did run agound at Carna and Barna. Don't forget the Armada was an invasion force too and it's most likely how the Connemara pony came into being.
    No offence to Connemara people meant below.
    If I were to invade Ireland I would have picked a former bit of grpund than Connemara to start or if I did land there I would have went back home on the boat.

There's even unusual links within Ireland. I'd be related to McKennas from West Kerry and that would be an Ulster name. They are reputed to be descended from 3 brothers who were retreating with the defeated forces of O'Neill from the battle of Kinsale in 1601 and settled in Kerry on their way back north.

• Advertisement

Grueller wrote: »
    If I were to invade Ireland I would have picked a former bit of grpund than Connemara to start or if I did land there I would have went back home on the boat.

Ah you know what I mean.:rolleyes:

You know what the purpose of the Armada was from primary school.

Maps and orders and plain old bad luck ruined the Armada's route around Scotland and Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I worked for a spell on a farm outside Trim, owned by a Diviney family.
    They had been relocated to Meath from Galway in the early days of the State, around the time a Meath Gaeltach was being established.
    They claimed Spanish ancestry, the original name being something like De Vannigh.

Here ya go. Watch this from 5:45 mins on. It shows the migration paths into Ireland.

88% of DNA in Ireland traces to ancestors who arrived in the Mesolithic period
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkaEZmaGeOY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Here in deepest darkest mayo any ancestral visitors were nautical.
    French-port is a few miles away.
    Across the bay a ship of the Spanish armada mounted a sand bar and floundered. Dark skinned warlike families still live nearby.
    Imperial Britain's napoleonic watch towers and infrastructure dot the coastline.
    Now we eat Chinese food and answer to the Germans.
    Are we not all descended from the germanic tribes anyway.

Grueller wrote: »
    I love all the world war 1 and 2 history. Fromelles was an unusual battle in that war as it was fought from embankments rather than trenches. It was also wide open ground where the Germans had complete artillery dominance and roughly twice as many men as the Aussies and British. It was another case of tactical suicide in that war. It was fought as basically a distraction of German forces from the main event at the Somme.
    Have you any desire to visit your great grand uncles grave when you return to Europe? I have a great grand uncle died at Ypres and plan to visit his grave this Summer.

Id definitly be up for visiting fromelles and i am looking to go to Canberra to the memorial here aswell.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

About 35 years ago a letter appeared in our local newspaper from a woman in Melbourne trying to trace her roots. My mother wrote back and after several exchanges it was apparent we were related. So they kept in touch every year and then when i went to OZ i was to visit her. she had married and divorced a Maori fella and her kids then took her surname after the divorce. It was comical looking at these big Maori lads with our family surname, kind of reminded me of Miceal O'Muircheartaighs quote about the O'Hailpins and the hurling stronghold. This woman had a massive family tree all done out tracing our relatives back to the 1600's when we were kicked out of Wales for stealing a chalice from a church.

I wouldn't be that into war memorials but i remember the feeling of total shock when i visited the Memorial Wall in Canberra and the numbers of names of soldiers who died during Gallipoli. There were considerable number with my families surname and you just couldn't help wondering if you were related.

I remember walking along the headland from Bondi to Tamarama (i think) and coming across a graveyard and ended up going for a dander among the graves. By pure coincidence i came across a couple of headstones of people who had emigrated from our parish and died there. I took some pics and gave them to the family when i came back and they were very thankful as they had no idea of what happened to that side of their family at all.

Tis a small world Ted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Rosahane

One lady from the US who showed up as a third cousin, contacted me on Ancestry just after I had my DNA test uploaded. She had a big surprise when hers came back a couple of weeks previously. She though she was 100% Italian ancestry but was shocked to discover she was half Irish. It turned out her deceased mother had been adopted and never knew. Because of our shared matches I was able to tell her the likely family names in her ancestry.

The story, which she eventually discovered from a very elderly cousin who was the only one that knew, was that her mothers parents who were Irish immigrants had financial problems during the depression and had to have their three children, including an infant, fostered for a year or so until they got back on their feet. When they came to get their kids back the foster mother who was childless was heartbroken to lose the kids and they agreed to let her adopt the baby - the mother of the lady who contacted me.

She was able to get the names of her blood grandparents, found some new relatives in the US and here and visited Ireland during the summer to see where her Grandparents originated from. Unfortunately I was on holidays when she was here and didn't get to meet her.

About 35 years ago a letter appeared in our local newspaper from a woman in Melbourne trying to trace her roots. My mother wrote back and after several exchanges it was apparent we were related. So they kept in touch every year and then when i went to OZ i was to visit her. she had married and divorced a Maori fella and her kids then took her surname after the divorce. It was comical looking at these big Maori lads with our family surname, kind of reminded me of Miceal O'Muircheartaighs quote about the O'Hailpins and the hurling stronghold. This woman had a massive family tree all done out tracing our relatives back to the 1600's when we were kicked out of Wales for stealing a chalice from a church.

I wouldn't be that into war memorials but i remember the feeling of total shock when i visited the Memorial Wall in Canberra and the numbers of names of soldiers who died during Gallipoli. There were considerable number with my families surname and you just couldn't help wondering if you were related.

I remember walking along the headland from Bondi to Tamarama (i think) and coming across a graveyard and ended up going for a dander among the graves. By pure coincidence i came across a couple of headstones of people who had emigrated from our parish and died there. I took some pics and gave them to the family when i came back and they were very thankful as they had no idea of what happened to that side of their family at all.

Tis a small world Ted...

Tis past tamarama its further on the walk more towards coogee a great walk. I keep meaning to go wandering through looking for local names aswell, my uncle thsts here nearly 20 years found the grave of a lad that originated from the farm he bought a site off back home. There is a lot of irish buried in Waverley and theres a big monument to O'Dwyer from Wicklow also known as the chief he was involved in 1798 and got sent here for his involvement there is a big gathering there every easter Sunday for a lot of the RA heads in Bondi.

Better living everyone

I see on the comic a west of Ireland farmer was conned out of €30,000 by a machinery con artist based in France.

He transferred €30k to a bank account for two tractors - a Valtra and a John Deere.
    He never saw the tractors but took him on his 'word' and paid the €30k when he insisted on a deposit first.

According to the article it doesn't look good for getting his money back.

I got my dog home this afternoon. It'll cost over €500 before he's finished, Vit k tablets are €2 and she has to get 4/day for three weeks,
    Transfusion €100, sedating the blood donor €50 blah blah etc.
    and I never needed her less.
    She's ten year old....I suppose I owe it to her.
    Above all things dogs have never cost a penny here apart from food

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement