Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

120180713_161529.jpg
    School boy humour I know, but
    As seen on toilet roll dispenser

Ahahaah, they're in the bathrooms in the old Farnham nightclub in Cavan town too! There was also one in UCD with 'Arts Degree Dispenser' written on it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Back at the willie Clancy trad festival in miltown for a few hours. 3 month old doing fair looking around with the music. 3yo just happy to have an iceberger and daddy happy with hophouse13

3 months old already. That time flew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ahahaah, they're in the bathrooms in the old Farnham nightclub in Cavan town too! There was also one in UCD with 'Arts Degree Dispenser' written on it :D
    Every time they'd paint over the old one, we'd be back painting a new one up again. Even in my Uncles times in the 60s as well, so it's good to see the tradition staying going:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

whelan2 wrote: »
    3 months old already. That time flew

Who are ya telling- yesterday my 3yo asked me to verify weather I “poured a seed in her mammys belly or not”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

What a beautiful evening - sitting outside having a drink with OH and relaxing for an hour or so. It's not too warm, no breeze and there is a lovely smell of woodbine (honeysuckle) in the air.

Holiday time!l:D:D

Sods law that my two blondes will come in heat next week so I've left strict instructions for TVR & Torres to be used. Got outbid on a piece of land during the week too so will be nice to get a break and come back with no hateful thoughts at my new neighbour :pac: And paying for a new topper on the way to the airport so maybe i'll have a nice shiny new toy when I come back too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭I says

Holiday time!l:D:D

Sods law that my two blondes will come in heat next week so I've left strict instructions for TVR & Torres to be used. Got outbid on a piece of land during the week too so will be nice to get a break and come back with no hateful thoughts at my new neighbour :pac: And paying for a new topper on the way to the airport so maybe i'll have a nice shiny new toy when I come back too :)

Probably some Munster dairy farmer gonna plant the place with sika spruce

I says wrote: »
    Probably some Munster dairy farmer gonna plant the place with sika spruce

Tbh it's in a grand place if it was planted, below our meadows so could be a nice bit of drainage for them :D there's always a silver lining!
    I went as far as I could, not prepared to get into a good bit of debt for 10 more acres.
    Will spend it on drainage and a new tractor lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

What did it sell for in the end? 2 and a bit acres of meadow near us sold for 13k. Seems mad money.

• Advertisement

MeTheMan wrote: »
    What did it sell for in the end? 2 and a bit acres of meadow near us sold for 13k. Seems mad money.

My limit was 35k and that's what it's hit now and not my bid. It's about 9 acres, bit of turbary rights with it too but they were sold on a handshake yonks ago but documents were never changed. So it's advertised as 10 but there's not 10 on it if you get me.
    Only had horses on it the last 20+ years, no fert, dung, topping etc so a bit ratty looking!

Would always like that extra bit of land. Just so expensive now. Nothing much good for less then 5k an acre around here. Anything decent in size you are dealing with forestry then. Most forested County in Ireland now! Not necessarily a bad thing.

There'd be a lot of drainage/access works to be done on that bit for sale too so wouldn't see much change out of 50k in the end!! Just the way I look at it is....how much can I do for 35k with the farm already here.
    No point being bitter, just make my own place better....!

Bitterness will get you nowhere. I can always think of more important things then land to spend money on. My view would be spend money on things that save time and money first. Eg dose gun, sheep race, decent machinery, fencing. Once all that is sorted then look at land. More land is the only real way to expand the business, but there is other ways to make it a bit more 'profitable' first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Are you in the milking parlour and up to your knees in cow****e yet?

Bitterness will get you nowhere. I can always think of more important things then land to spend money on. My view would be spend money on things that save time and money first. Eg dose gun, sheep race, decent machinery, fencing. Once all that is sorted then look at land. More land is the only real way to expand the business, but there is other ways to make it a bit more 'profitable' first.

Well I'm hoping to put up a dry she'd to finish weanlings out of in the next few years, bit of extra land wouldn't have gone amiss for more stock but no harm, I'll work around it!

No Say my Name, not yet. Having a cider in Dublin and pondering breakfast 😂

• Advertisement

Anyone that has access to a screen of any type. Have a look at the racing at Ascot.

There's some difference between the watered course and the left to the elements jumps course. Dark green and then completely brown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

There'd be a lot of drainage/access works to be done on that bit for sale too so wouldn't see much change out of 50k in the end!! Just the way I look at it is....how much can I do for 35k with the farm already here.
    No point being bitter, just make my own place better....!

Do you absolutely trust the Auctioneers word?
    Might not be sold yet......

Nekarsulm wrote: »

There's us or one other with bordering land access, he was asking about the other bidder during the week so I've a fair idea there's another!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Burning Tires

Nekarsulm wrote: »

That sentence makes absolutely no sense Nek!

Trust an auctioneers word? Does not compute..... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Would always like that extra bit of land. Just so expensive now. Nothing much good for less then 5k an acre around here. Anything decent in size you are dealing with forestry then. Most forested County in Ireland now! Not necessarily a bad thing.

It wouldn't be a bad thing if it wasn't all Sitka spruce monocultures and all the negatives that brings in terms of damage to natural heritage, water quality etc.. Alot of forestry in the West is now owned by Vulture funds with traditional small holders priced out:(

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote: »
    It wouldn't be a bad thing if it wasn't all Sitka spruce monocultures and all the negatives that brings in terms of damage to natural heritage, water quality etc.. Alot of forestry in the West is now owned by Vulture funds with traditional small holders priced out:(

We've the 400 native ones planted in a wet spot and doing mighty. Too many good farms in this area going for trees, mainly cause sons/daughters are working elsewhere. There was a wood chips or kindling start up in the journal not too long ago, a cousin of mine. Another cousin has a forestry company!

My flight is now delayed too...,.balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

There's us or one other with bordering land access, he was asking about the other bidder during the week so I've a fair idea there's another!

Everything happens for a reason. I was under bidder on 30 acres adjoining us in 2008. Best thing that ever happened tbh

Actually know a lorry driver from Offaly who bought land in Leitrim for forestry.
    According to him it's a fantastic area for growing trees.
    The land price obviously helps too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I delivered a few bales of straw to a Leitrim farmer a few days before the snow came earlier this year. He is a relative of a good neighbour and was badly stuck. When I arrived at his place I noticed that I had more or less traveled through a forest for the previous mile or so. His farm was sorrounded on three sides (except to the West) by dense sitka forestry which cut off the majority of the sunlight to his farm. He nor any of his family owed any of the forestry yet they had to suffer the consequences :mad:

Apparently there is no planning permission required for forestry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

whelan2 wrote: »
    Everything happens for a reason. I was under bidder on 30 acres adjoining us in 2008. Best thing that ever happened tbh

We are thinking about buying another farm and moving, town is starting to surround us and farming the land with some of our new neighbors is getting tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Base price wrote: »
    I delivered a few bales of straw to a Leitrim farmer a few days before the snow came earlier this year. He is a relative of a good neighbour and was badly stuck. When I arrived at his place I noticed that I had more or less traveled through a forest for the previous mile or so. His farm was sorrounded on three sides (except to the West) by dense sitka forestry which cut off the majority of the sunlight to his farm. He nor any of his family owed any of the forestry yet they had to suffer the consequences :mad:

Lots in similar
    Least if they didn’t plant spruce up to boundary it would be a help.
    Farmer has little or no rights & always in the way of latest hairbrained progression

emaherx wrote: »
    We are thinking about buying another farm and moving, town is starting to surround us and farming the land with some of our new neighbors is getting tough.

I have a relation beside a seaside resort town in the southeast who was offered a blank cheque to sell their house and 5 acres during the boom.
    They said they'd consider it and maybe move to somewhere with more land.

They're still considering it. :pac:
    That offer is long gone with the boom however. :(

Maybe start spreading slurry and doing your agricultural applications at a time that suits yourself on the land till you get a very good offer. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

I have a relation beside a seaside resort town in the southeast who was offered a blank cheque to sell their house and 5 acres during the boom.

You never know. They might have parked it in bank shares while they were looking for a new place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Base price wrote: »

Some CC's now require it plus there is a bill now in front of the dail that will require PP in general for forestry developments

Truth be told there is land in Leitrim that the best thing for it is trees. We have some of that ourselves. But forestry don't care what land it is really. Just the price. So you have small parcels of good land bundled with bigger parcels of poor land and the forestry can give 5k+ for the lot. Whereas a farmer might be happy to give 5k+ for the good parcel but the poor land wouldn't be worth it.
    Spruce is awful forestry. I was thinking it should be a case that for every 10/15 acres of spruce that you plant you must plant 1 acre of native/hardwood forest that would support wildlife, to be eligible for grants.

It's a touchy subject around here. I'll stick this site here if anyone fancy a bit of reading http://saveleitrim.ie took this from the site

'50% of County Leitrim’s agricultural land is planted in non native, invasive species. That’s 14,000 Hectares ( 34,595 acres) of Leitrim land and it is increasing everyday. That’s 34.5 MILLION SITKA SPRUCE TREES! It is the law that once land is planted, it can never be taken out of forestry.'

Yup. That's half of leitrim that, by today's laws, can never be farmed again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have some April born suck calves, last night was the first rain they’ve seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Truth be told there is land in Leitrim that the best thing for it is trees. We have some of that ourselves. But forestry don't care what land it is really. Just the price. So you have small parcels of good land bundled with bigger parcels of poor land and the forestry can give 5k+ for the lot. Whereas a farmer might be happy to give 5k+ for the good parcel but the poor land wouldn't be worth it.
    Spruce is awful forestry. I was thinking it should be a case that for every 10/15 acres of spruce that you plant you must plant 1 acre of native/hardwood forest that would support wildlife, to be eligible for grants.

It's a touchy subject around here. I'll stick this site here if anyone fancy a bit of reading http://saveleitrim.ie took this from the site

'50% of County Leitrim’s agricultural land is planted in non native, invasive species. That’s 14,000 Hectares ( 34,595 acres) of Leitrim land and it is increasing everyday. That’s 34.5 MILLION SITKA SPRUCE TREES! It is the law that once land is planted, it can never be taken out of forestry.'

Yup. That's half of leitrim that, by today's laws, can never be farmed again.

Land near us was bought by an “investor” of some sorts near the end of its growing, it was harvested, they took the cash and ran. Land was never replanted and is just growing over in scrub, was the best of land too, 40-50 acre farm.

Imagine that happening to half of a county, I read that much of the forestry in the West is owned by vulture funds, I can see them doing the same rather than planting again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Maybe start spreading slurry and doing your agricultural applications at a time that suits yourself on the land till you get a very good offer. ;)

I was offered 40000/acre for 40 acres in 2006 by a disappointed underbidder on land beside mine.....
    Like that the offer is long gone, we all thought that land was going to keep going up in price, ''sure they're not making any more of it''

_Brian wrote: »
    Land near us was bought by an “investor” of some sorts near the end of its growing, it was harvested, they took the cash and ran. Land was never replanted and is just growing over in scrub, was the best of land too, 40-50 acre farm.

Imagine that happening to half of a county, I read that much of the forestry in the West is owned by vulture funds, I can see them doing the same rather than planting again

It's a real shame to see good land planted. One good look on that is forestry abandoned after being cut will probably grow back much more diverse and eye pleasing then the dead forestry floor covered in pine needles that was there before.

I wonder does forestry that you isn't replanted still count as forestry? Is it all a way for the government to make up numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

It's a real shame to see good land planted. One good look on that is forestry abandoned after being cut will probably grow back much more diverse and eye pleasing then the dead forestry floor covered in pine needles that was there before.

I wonder does forestry that you isn't replanted still count as forestry? Is it all a way for the government to make up numbers.
    At a guess I’d say they don’t count felled ground until it’s replanted

Under the old forestry scheme, felled timber must be replaced. I think that requirement is gone for the current scheme. And newly planted forestry can revert to agricultural land once felled, iirc. Not the older forestry though.

Under the old forestry scheme, felled timber must be replaced. I think that requirement is gone for the current scheme. And newly planted forestry can revert to agricultural land once felled, iirc. Not the older forestry though.

It’s still in the legislation that forestry must be replanted

ganmo wrote: »
    It’s still in the legislation that forestry must be replanted
    Ah, sound.

I thought that had changed a while back to encourage more forestry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I don't get the planting of non-native sitka spruce. How come the environmentalists are not up in arms over it? Does it not acidify the land?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Be great to see a lot more hardwood forestry instead of big Christmas trees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Grueller

I have an acre in two parcels that is separated from me by a river. The river is SAC. I planted a mix of ash, oak, beech and birch at different stages over the last 5 years or so. If I bad a half day to spare during bareroot season I would clear a bit and head off to none so hardy and get a few trees and put them down. This acre can flood during the winter.
    The flooding has destroyed the beech. It hasn't grown at all.
    The oak is doing ok.
    The ash is flying. No sign of dieback so far anyhow and really thriving.
    The birch however isone hardy hardy plant. It is growing by the day.
    I kept the ash, oak and beech towards the perimeter and plan to coppice the birch on a five year rotation in time to provide for my firewood needs. I suppose as the other 2 remaining species mature they will dominate and out compete my coppice but ghat is fine as it will be a lovely place and hopefully my kids will in time remember my wife and I planting it together after we are gone.

I don't get the planting of non-native sitka spruce. How come the environmentalists are not up in arms over it? Does it not acidify the land?

Not sure on the acidifying the land part.
    It does I suppose but how and ever.
    Most of the land it's planted on is pretty acidic anyway.

I'd be generally in favour of the softwoods. It's a crop just like perennial ryegrass is a crop. They grow extremely well in this country and the expertise now in growing them here is second to none.
    If you were to take an environmental global view on this you have a crop here that converts carbon dioxide into mass (carbon) in a very fast way in Ireland.
    Now if you could convert that carbon into a stable carbon that won't rot and turn back into carbon dioxide you will have a carbon negative technological monster that any country would be proud of.
    If you could feed that stable carbon to a ruminant that emits methane you can massively reduce the methane that animal emits.
    If you could treat that carbon with seaweed you could nearly eliminate that methane altogether while actually providing a pathway to feed that animal with minerals.
    That treated stable carbon then goes through the digestive system of the animal onto the soil and provides a multi storey apartment block for fungi and bacteria in the soil and thus more free fertilizer and water holding capacity so feeding and nourishing a plant crop in the soil and thus it seems the carbon makes a n environment to pull in even more carbon dioxide from the air.

We have potentially an extremely carbon negative system that could be put in place in this country.
    The dots just need to be joined together.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Grueller wrote: »
    I have an acre in two parcels that is separated from me by a river. The river is SAC. I planted a mix of ash, oak, beech and birch at different stages over the last 5 years or so. If I bad a half day to spare during bareroot season I would clear a bit and head off to none so hardy and get a few trees and put them down. This acre can flood during the winter.
    The flooding has destroyed the beech. It hasn't grown at all.
    The oak is doing ok.
    The ash is flying. No sign of dieback so far anyhow and really thriving.
    The birch however isone hardy hardy plant. It is growing by the day.
    I kept the ash, oak and beech towards the perimeter and plan to coppice the birch on a five year rotation in time to provide for my firewood needs. I suppose as the other 2 remaining species mature they will dominate and out compete my coppice but ghat is fine as it will be a lovely place and hopefully my kids will in time remember my wife and I planting it together after we are gone.

Maybe its the rain this morning but something kinda touching about that post. Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

_Brian wrote: »

See lots like that, it was mentioned at a KT meeting
    It was said replanting must take place within 1 year of clearance that’s what’s in felling license
    If 30% was held from clearfell as a bond until replanting is complete it would solve the problem

My argument for sika spruce over native species is the ease of harvest and use ability of the product.
    Sika grow straight meaning they’re easy to harvest with machinery and the straightness results in more useable timber.

The world will need more and more timber to replace the heat generated from fossil fuels and to replace plastics used in furniture and other household items

• Advertisement

Not sure on the acidifying the land part.
    It does I suppose but how and ever.
    Most of the land it's planted on is pretty acidic anyway.

I'd be generally in favour of the softwoods. It's a crop just like perennial ryegrass is a crop. They grow extremely well in this country and the expertise now in growing them here is second to none.
    If you were to take an environmental global view on this you have a crop here that converts carbon dioxide into mass (carbon) in a very fast way in Ireland.
    Now if you could convert that carbon into a stable carbon that won't rot and turn back into carbon dioxide you will have a carbon negative technological monster that any country would be proud of.
    If you could feed that stable carbon to a ruminant that emits methane you can massively reduce the methane that animal emits.
    If you could treat that carbon with seaweed you could nearly eliminate that methane altogether while actually providing a pathway to feed that animal with minerals.
    That treated stable carbon then goes through the digestive system of the animal onto the soil and provides a multi storey apartment block for fungi and bacteria in the soil and thus more free fertilizer and water holding capacity so feeding and nourishing a plant crop in the soil and thus it seems the carbon makes a n environment to pull in even more carbon dioxide from the air.

We have potentially an extremely carbon negative system that could be put in place in this country.
    The dots just need to be joined together.

I don't follow. The next dry spell we get and I have time to spare, I'll lay down on the dry grass and contemplate it all. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Why isn’t scots pine being planted? It’s native, it’s a very usable wood. It provides a habitat for red squirrel. Surely more attractive that Sitka

I don't follow. The next dry spell we get and I have time to spare, I'll lay down on the dry grass and contemplate it all. ;)

Don't follow which part?

The carbon dioxide or carbon or unbreakable/slow release carbon.

It's hardly James Joyce's "Ulysses " Patsy.
    Get up out of that boghole with your shovel man and see the stars! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I know the river through our land failed the water quality test for forestry as it was too acidic and the forestry man said it was because there was too many trees in the area.

Went to Craggaunowen in east Clare today- replica Iron Age settlements and st Brendan’s boat replica. Nice day for it, just left and it started milling rain.

I know the river through our land failed the water quality test for forestry as it was too acidic and the forestry man said it was because there was too many trees in the area.

Went to Craggaunowen in east Clare today- replica Iron Age settlements and st Brendan’s boat replica. Nice day for it, just left and it started milling rain.

Did you notice how burned up the land around it is?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement