Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Some week that has passed. Before the Christmas, I was successful in an interview for a promotion only to have it appealed this week on the grounds that the head office didn't leave the application submission time open by four more hours so I have to reapply for the position.

The mother told me my older brother plans to plant the farm the next time Glas runs out. The verbal agreement was I would run the farm and have it left to me in her will. Then it was to transfer it to me before she dies- he dragged his heals and the stamp duty bill has gone from 3K to 18K or there abouts- Im too old now for young farm relief. I told her to call him and get him to calf the cows and I would walk away from it no bother and they just pay me for work done since dad got sick.
    As of now- he has backed off but i need to gather cash to move on the transfer before he gets anymore ideas.

Was bolusing cattle today and smashed the face of my newish Fitbit watch- not pleased.

Also today, was putting a battery on the charger and hit the horn of the other brothers anvil and smashed the screen of my newish Iphone through the otterbox cover- even more not pleased.

on top of that the OH is thick with me over i cleaning the kitchen and letting her sleep in this morning- now that one has me confused.

I'm typing this on the laptop through a USB keyboard as the built in one has stopped working.

I should have stayed in bed. At least cattle are sorted.

hang in there pal, twill come good in the end. try and deal with one problem at a time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Watching for a cow coming into heat
    She’s starting to rise on others but not standing
    When should I expect her in standing heat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Watching for a cow coming into heat
    She’s starting to rise on others but not standing
    When should I expect her in standing heat?

Often times,other cows wont rise on her especially on concrete. If you mix a group of cows it can cause some commotion but i would bull tomorrow morning if she isnt bulling

Often times,other cows wont rise on her especially on concrete. If you mix a group of cows it can cause some commotion but i would bull tomorrow morning if she isnt bulling

Cows are trying to rise but she won’t stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

Tomorrow morning too soon i'd say, evening be better.

tanko wrote: »
    Tomorrow morning too soon i'd say, evening be better.

Have to give her a shot at standing heat
    She’s only starting to rise, should I give her another hour or wait till 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

What shot is that??
    6 might be better. (Superbowl might be over by then).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

She could be mad bulling in the morning. Ai her tomorrow evening?

Thinking that too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Watching the superbowl halftime show waiting for biestings to defrost, if I was there I'd want to have had a few pints id say, a tad overhyped. Defences on top for both sides in the game

• Advertisement

Got out at 6 & standing, don’t think waiting too long
    5-6 this evening will be a good time

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Opened the pit this morning, i don't know am I mad with the good weather. I was in my t-shirt at it. It looks and smells great, and little to no waste at the walls.
    Ive kept a dozen bale for later on in the spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I had what I thought weren't great bales so decided to bring them into a field and leave them so I could throw them into muckspreader once fields dry up a bit. This morning the cattle were lying on the remains as comfy as you could ask, they had most of them eaten and I know if I'd put them out with a ring feeder around them they would have stood looking sadly at me. I'm obviously not a good judge of a bad bale!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

KatyMac wrote: »
    I had what I thought weren't great bales so decided to bring them into a field and leave them so I could throw them into muckspreader once fields dry up a bit. This morning the cattle were lying on the remains as comfy as you could ask, they had most of them eaten and I know if I'd put them out with a ring feeder around them they would have stood looking sadly at me. I'm obviously not a good judge of a bad bale!

Hunger is great sauce!! They would nearly do it to spite ya.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I'm obviously not a good judge of a bad bale!

Must be an acquired taste.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Hunger is great sauce!! They would nearly do it to spite ya.

That's just it - they are far from hungry! These bales were kinda sad looking hence me 'throwing' them into a corner for later disposal. They have access to decent bales (ones I wouldn't be ashamed to be seen feeding) in two ring feeders and those were almost untouched this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭emaherx

That's just it - they are far from hungry! These bales were kinda sad looking hence me 'throwing' them into a corner for later disposal. They have access to decent bales (ones I wouldn't be ashamed to be seen feeding) in two ring feeders and those were almost untouched this morning.

Threw a few soft bales in front of cows the last few days, they looked bad from the outside but silage smelt quite sweet with no mold and the cows devoured them.

I always put every bale in front of cattle and let them decide whether to eat them or not, I'm often surprised by the ones they seem to favour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Is the FCA (free clothing association:D ) still on the go? Haven't heard it mentioned in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Is the FCA (free clothing association:D ) still on the go? Haven't heard it mentioned in years.

Reserve Defence Forces.
    Although I think they're finished now and all?

Reserve Defence Forces.
    Although I think they're finished now and all?

no there still on the go, albeit with reduced numbers.
    I wouldn't give much stock to what that clown fennelly says. Molly coddled and never sent anywhere so that he was always around to go training. he was hardly qualified to tie up his own boots. got a handy trip overseas and went sick off that while at home on leave. the brass with hurling connections that looked after him are fairly red faced now I expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

The Irish Revolution....

An absolutely incredible documentary....should be mandatory viewing for all ages...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Bored of it at this stage. Yes it’s important that every youngster be able to name every one of the “heroes” in the gpo but not the name of one of the 250000 odd Irishmen that fought in the world war being waged in Europe at the time..
    When the centenary of the civil war comes and the stories are brought out into the daylight it’ll be interesting in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

We must be the only country in the world, that feel like we should be some way apologetic for fighting for our freeedom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

We must be the only country in the world, that feel like we should be some way apologetic for fighting for our freeedom.

And other people’s freedom, don’t forget it was a big no-no to be fighting against the Germans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

Willfarman wrote: »
    Bored of it at this stage. Yes it’s important that every youngster be able to name every one of the “heroes” in the gpo but not the name of one of the 250000 odd Irishmen that fought in the world war being waged in Europe at the time..
    When the centenary of the civil war comes and the stories are brought out into the daylight it’ll be interesting in fairness.

Hardly any of the "heros" were even named here. I felt it was the first insight into the range of different feelings there was at the time and how little backing there was for the 1916 rising at the time, and how intermingled people from different backgrounds were on each side, or should I say ..all sides..

I do think it important for people , and particularly young people, to understand how the weighting of history and associated baggage can form current thinking.

Stunning also was the capacity of the time to gather crowds, for events, for speeches, for political purposes. How did they do it with the limited means of communication and transport they had? The eloquence of speech, the pride of appearance ...

Thought it was amazing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Can you not "buy yourself out" of the Defence Forces?
    If he hated it that much, why did he stay?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I couldn't sleep and decided to browse Netflix for something to pass the small hours. I don't watch television apart from the gameshow "The Chase" but maintain a Netflix account. Netflix has revolutionized the industry in my opinion and has opened the door to a much wider array of content at the convenience of it's users. It's some of the best money I spend on recreation each month and combined with reading allows me an escape from the troubles of our time.

I watched the Coen brothers "The ballad of Buster Scruggs" and I'm blown away by the depth of it's content. I've watched quite a bit of material on Netflix but this has to be in my personal top 3 (the others being Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy). I highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in the human mentality and the inner most workings of us as a people.

Ambiguity is a concept that I believe is lacking in modern life, the fast paced lifestyles of today demand the answers to be at our finger tips constantly. Sometimes the fun can be in the not knowing and forming your own independent conclusions. The Coen brothers have once again nailed this concept, the film can be many thing's to many people and has a timeless quality. I refuse to watch film adaptations of books I've read in fear that the film would distort my interpretation of the intended meaning. This film however allows the viewer to form there own beliefs as to it's message and is all the more thought provoking for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Wouldn't be the first public servant that complained of boredom. You wanna see the work rate of a Board of Works digger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Quick question does any one know the opening hours for the agfood helpdesk,tried ringing them there now and they said they are closed,do they open at 9.30-10.00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,982 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Quick question does any one know the opening hours for the agfood helpdesk,tried ringing them there now and they said they are closed,do they open at 9.30-10.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

whelan2 wrote: »

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,982 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The nurses will get wet today. Just back from casualty, in and out in 45 minutes, doctor had sent us in with suspected meningitis. No other patients in kids casualty. Bad sinus thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ur hardly ringing bout young farmer top up by any chance? I rang today again and all they say is there a delay and could be as late as end March before I get it but as I said there loads people got there’s already

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

My uncle was in the defence forces, I'd say hes retired nearly 15 years. He never says much about it. But he was in the Jeep with me when colin fennely was on Off The Ball about being bored in the army. My uncle said to me "you know why i never said much about my 26 & a half years the army, its because i feel the same way as that lad. It was boring, but a regular pay cheque" Doing drills for tge sake of it.
    I didn't question him any more on it, but he did tours in at least 3 different countries. He was definitely in Lebanon and either Chad or Liberia. He might have been in the Yugoslavia war too, but I'm not sure.
    He's got a fine pension and is a qualified electrical/electronic engineer out of it tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My uncle was in the defence forces, I'd say hes retired nearly 15 years. He never says much about it. But he was in the Jeep with me when colin fennely was on Off The Ball about being bored in the army. My uncle said to me "you know why i never said much about my 26 & a half years the army, its because i feel the same way as that lad. It was boring, but a regular pay cheque" Doing drills for tge sake of it.
    I didn't question him any more on it, but he did tours in at least 3 different countries. He was definitely in Lebanon and either Chad or Liberia. He might have been in the Yugoslavia war too, but I'm not sure.
    He's got a fine pension and is a qualified electrical/electronic engineer out of it tho.

Plenty of jobs are boring, it’s no big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭I says

_Brian wrote: »
    Plenty of jobs are boring, it’s no big deal.

That’s why it’s called a job

I says wrote: »
    That’s why it’s called a job

Yea.
    It’s a job, not a way of life, not a measure of your self worth or status in society. It’s just a job you do to get paid. Just do it, get paid and get home to real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Yea.
    It’s a job, not a way of life, not a measure of your self worth or status in society. It’s just a job you do to get paid. Just do it, get paid and get home to real life.

Life is too short to spend 30 years doing something you hate.Find a job you love to do and you never work again.

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Life is too short to spend 30 years doing something you hate.Find a job you love to do and you never work again.

Yea.
    I loved my job, then I had a family and realised that loving work is a crock of ****, it’s just a job, the minute it doesn’t suit them to have you there you’ll be out on your ear, gotta love that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Yea.

We've a couple of posters here with skin in the game so to speak. I'd be interested to hear what they think about the whole thing?
    Is it really as boring as is made out? And outside of the emergency situations, snow, strikes, floods etc, what does the day to day job entail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

We've a couple of posters here with skin in the game so to speak. I'd be interested to hear what they think about the whole thing?
    Is it really as boring as is made out? And outside of the emergency situations, snow, strikes, floods etc, what does the day to day job entail?

I was generalising about “work” rather than the armed forces but yes, be interested to hear an insider view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

we all must be mad in the heads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

No wonder factory owners are on the rich list as the 5th quarter keeps on giving ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

we all must be mad in the heads

I have so many “mad in the head” things going on you are going to have to enlighten me as to which one you referring to now.

I see those pesky vegans are after launching a flashy new campaign, this time there offering the Pope a million euro to the charity of his choice if he goes vegan for lent. their going to be on sky news about it at 7:15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    I see those pesky vegans are after launching a flashy new campaign, this time there offering the Pope a million euro to the charity of his choice if he goes vegan for lent. their going to be on sky news about it at 7:15

The things some will stoop to. I thought the days of indulgences and buying your way into heaven were all over :rolleyes:

Interesting article on that here

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/1002/999346-pdforra/
    PDFORRA said that since the start of this year, over 170 Defence Forces personnel, and over 1,200 in the last six years, have paid money to leave the service - with some paying over €40,000.

Didn't realise you could still do that ...

• Advertisement

I watched the Coen brothers "The ballad of Buster Scruggs" and I'm blown away by the depth of it's content. I've watched quite a bit of material on Netflix but this has to be in my personal top 3 (the others being Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy). I highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in the human mentality and the inner most workings of us as a people.

Ambiguity is a concept that I believe is lacking in modern life, the fast paced lifestyles of today demand the answers to be at our finger tips constantly. Sometimes the fun can be in the not knowing and forming your own independent conclusions. The Coen brothers have once again nailed this concept, the film can be many thing's to many people and has a timeless quality. I refuse to watch film adaptations of books I've read in fear that the film would distort my interpretation of the intended meaning. This film however allows the viewer to form there own beliefs as to it's message and is all the more thought provoking for it.

^^^ This. Agree with your review. Absolutely brilliant. Stars both Brendan Gleeson and Liam Neeson. Really enjoyed it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement