Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Muckit wrote: »
    Haven't we been sold a crock of **** for years by Teagasc, IFJ etc. "Control inside your farm gate. Don't worry about beef price, just increase your stocking rate and all will be grand."

A campaign "we're not going to be made an ass of no longer". Sell the cattle. Get in the donkeys. Work the system.

I've long ago came to the conclusion that we're pawns in the system, the buzz word being expansion at all costs. A few half cocked scheme's such as the knowledge transfer, genomics and the latest 40 euro payment to keep us on side and producing. The Agri media and organisations telling us that productivity would be our saviour and not too worry about thing's outside our control. This increased productivity caused yet another surplus and resulting price slump before the vicious cycle started again.

It might not be for everyone but I intend to continue with the donkeys and extensive farming until I see adequate reason to do otherwise. As regards a slogan for our campaign I propose the following. "If Caligula could make a consul out of his horse then why can't man make an ass out of himself".

A single man lived down the road from us in my grand father's time, his only transport was a jennet and cart. The local village was roughly 2 miles away and was usually as far as he ventured for provisions. His house was on the side of the road and either a right or left turn outside the gate would both lead to the village, the distance was nearly the same either way.

He was a comical chap I'm told and placed great value upon the jennet, him being the sole form of transportation and a beast of burden. Once seated upon the cart and departing for the village he would tell the jennet to "please himself" as to which route he took. The beast would duly decide upon which way he wished to take and would hit off. His owners logic being that as the jennet was the one walking then he could decide on the preferred route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Bullocks wrote: »
    The price of donkeys would overtake suckler cows over night if that trend caught on .
    Goodman would probably be the only show in town to take them off our hands anyhow and the dept would possibly come to the conclusion that they are the real carriers of BVD and would bring in voluntary mandatory testing after a year !
    I'm a glass half empty kinda guy haha

There could be more to this then meets the eye

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2018/03/30/donkey-skins-are-the-new-ivory

China’s biggest sources are African. In Kenya, the price of a donkey soared by 325% during a six-month period last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

A single man lived down the road from us in my grand father's time, his only transport was a jennet and cart. The local village was roughly 2 miles away and was usually as far as he ventured for provisions. His house was on the side of the road and either a right or left turn outside the gate would both lead to the village, the distance was nearly the same either way.

He was a comical chap I'm told and placed great value upon the jennet, him being the sole form of transportation and a beast of burden. Once seated upon the cart and departing for the village he would tell the jennet to "please himself" as to which route he took. The beast would duly decide upon which way he wished to take and would hit off. His owners logic being that as the jennet was the one walking then he could decide on the preferred route.

There was a similar sort of chap that lived not too far from here. He milked a couple of cows and would load up the wee ass cart and morning & evening he'd go off to town a few miles away to the creamery. Well the auld ass knew every step of the road from doing it so often and would stop right outside at the creamery/huse. Depending on whichever way he was headed!
    Well one evening after dropping the milk off he went on the porter & well jarred, off plodded the wee velvet lugs late that evening. Well didn't a grand-uncle of mine spot him sleeping in the cart outside the house late that night & what did he do only turn the cart around & off went poor ass into town again :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭mayota

There was a similar sort of chap that lived not too far from here. He milked a couple of cows and would load up the wee ass cart and morning & evening he'd go off to town a few miles away to the creamery. Well the auld ass knew every step of the road from doing it so often and would stop right outside at the creamery/huse. Depending on whichever way he was headed!
    Well one evening after dropping the milk off he went on the porter & well jarred, off plodded the wee velvet lugs late that evening. Well didn't a grand-uncle of mine spot him sleeping in the cart outside the house late that night & what did he do only turn the cart around & off went poor ass into town again :D:D:D

We’re feckin joining the dots now lads, wouldn’t the donkey and cart be the solution for the drink drive problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

When my brother was in college in Galway, the lads he shared a house with decided one night it would be gas to take a donkey home with them from a halting site. They had left one of lads in the nightclub chatting to some girl. So up the stairs and into yer man's room with the donkey.
    Off to bed with them and later yer man arrives back with the girl. You can imagine her reaction when they opened the bedroom door.
    While the donkey went up the stairs no bother, no way would he go back down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

TheFarrier wrote: »
    Starting to see euro symbols here with all the talk of replacing cattle with donkeys

That Euro symbol is a bruise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just watching a program about chocolate tv advertising.

That lady must have got rightly pissed off with that stalker leaving boxes of Cadbury's milk tray all around the gaff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

alps wrote: »

Once calving starts it doesn't make much difference which day it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Gotta call off Axa this morning to say that responsibility had been taken for my claim from last July. Payment was recieved and they’re recovering my excess.
    Fair bitta weight off the shoulders now!
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Birdnuts wrote: »
    There could be more to this then meets the eye

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2018/03/30/donkey-skins-are-the-new-ivory

China’s biggest sources are African. In Kenya, the price of a donkey soared by 325% during a six-month period last year
    I watched a programme about it a few months ago and it fairly turned my stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Base price wrote: »
    I watched a programme about it a few months ago and it fairly turned my stomach.

- China appears to be exploiting large parts of Africa as a low cost source for land, produce and labour. The fact that there are often few regulations and theres a quick profit to be made means that African communities are often the ones losing out . In the case of the donkeys - they are been hoovered up for export to China even where the donkeys are an essential part of local transport and cultivation methods.

Washing machine stopped here in the middle of a cycle last night so I had to flood the back kitchen to get my unmentionables out :D
    Googled what it was at, turned it upside down this morning & found a sock in the filter hose & have it going again. Great feeling of accomplishment!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Washing machine stopped here in the middle of a cycle last night so I had to flood the back kitchen to get my unmentionables out :D
    Googled what it was at, turned it upside down this morning & found a sock in the filter hose & have it going again. Great feeling of accomplishment!!

What does the unmentionables consist of ha

Jb1989 wrote: »
    What does the unmentionables consist of ha

The clue is in the name!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

gozunda wrote: »
    - China appears to be exploiting large parts of Africa as a low cost source for land, produce and labour. The fact that there are often few regulations and theres a quick profit to be made means that African communities are often the ones losing out . In the case of the donkeys - they are been hoovered up for export to China even where the donkeys are an essential part of local transport and cultivation methods.

China has been active in Africa for some time now, they’re there to produce food and export it home at cost of production.

This is exactly why I’m dubious when I hear ag ministers talk of beef exports to China. This isn’t how they operate food acquisitions, they aren’t into buying processed high value foods, the volumes required are just too large to be affordable. There will be token shipments but nothing of significant volumes to consider it as an alternative market for our beef. On a personal note i think it adds too much carbon footprint to a good food anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had to get a new pulling for the flat jeep trailer. I was expecting to pay about 80 euro. It was 160! I know there's no price to be put on safety but thought it was steep. 8 fr bull calves will pay for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

mayota wrote: »
    We’re feckin joining the dots now lads, wouldn’t the donkey and cart be the solution for the drink drive problem.

My God, I didn't know what I was starting when I told ye about my KT meeting. :eek:

• Advertisement

Isn't it funny some of the names we put on cows. Have a second calver and last year she had warts on her teats. Young lad calls her prickly tits. Anyway she's just calved this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

We've a ewe that I call mutton chops
    She has a black mark on her face where you d expect old style mutton chops to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

A neighbor had a ewe that walked the legs off a lamb in the first few weeks. The lamb had to be picked up and dropped off at a fresh patch of grass several times a day. They named him Lamb Chops.
    They also had a doberman pinscher on a lead sliding along a long wire in the yard as a guard dog. His name was scissors, for some reason...

whelan2 wrote: »
    Isn't it funny some of the names we put on cows. Have a second calver and last year she had warts on her teats. Young lad calls her prickly tits. Anyway she's just calved this evening

Back before sucklers became the mainstay of farming locally and everyone milked a few cows for the creamery nicknames on cows were more popular. It used to cause hassle for the A.I. men as the brass tags were almost impossible to distinguish from a distance and a bunch of shorthorns or British friesian's all looked alike if you were on your own at a call out.

One A.I. man often told the story of calling to a house locally on a call and finding the farmer missing and only the woman of the house to deal with. She was a gentle soul and a generous woman who was quite capable of looking after all things agriculture in her husband's absence. I remember her as a good God fearing member of the community and never knew her to swear but am told the following was the gospel truth.

Having observed 2 big, almost indentical roan Shorthorn cows in the yard and understanding that both were to be inseminated he duly headed for the back kitchen to inquire as to the bulls requested. He stuck his head in the door, posed the question and was told by a stern faced woman to "give a Charolais bull to the big roan cow and an AA to the c*nt). Neither of us ever learned what the latter had done to earn her moniker but it must have been fairly serious!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭emaherx

Have a heifer here, loves to find holes in ditches, and her tag ends in 666 so I've named her demon. She's also missing so much of her right ear I'm not sure where to put her replacement tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Had a suckler cow here one time and she was a right dangerous bitch. She must have left a long lasting effect on me as I still use the last 4 digits of her tag no in my different passwords. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

The donkey sanctuary in Mallow are always looking to foster donkeys.

https://www.thedonkeysanctuary.ie/rehome/donkeys-looking-for-homes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

The donkey sanctuary in Mallow are always looking to foster donkeys.

https://www.thedonkeysanctuary.ie/rehome/donkeys-looking-for-homes

they've got very strict conditions, you have to take 2 and housing etc has to be inspected.

perhaps they're right but a friend of mine wanted to get 1, (she's absolutely mad about animals and has had pet foxes and many other wildlife) and keeps a small flock of sheep , and she didnt qualify

Got a call today from dept of agriculture in another county. A farmer who I used to sell calves to had 17 cattle stolen last week. They want to blood test the dams I still have here belonging to the ones that were stolen for dna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Donkeys and Llamas are not singular animals and need to kept in pairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There's proposals brought up in Europe to have a 30 pre movement TB test for all cattle sales.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/department-to-make-case-in-europe-over-tb-test-proposals-this-week/

Should make the store trade more interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Just a quick question. Once you qualify for young farmers (Green cert, under 40 etc) then get a herd number does the. 60% grant only last them 5 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

There's proposals brought up in Europe to have a 30 pre movement TB test for all cattle sales.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/department-to-make-case-in-europe-over-tb-test-proposals-this-week/

Should make the store trade more interesting...

It is kind of logical though. Tb test dates are the bane of a finishers enterprise. Very easy for to do annual test but then wind up with a large percentage of cattle out of test a short time after buying in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

Now then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Is this the last year of GLAS?

Glas tranche 2 ends on 31/12/2020.
    Maybe Glas 1 ends this year, im not sure.

You must have been in Carrigallen, i was wondering myself what that was about.
    Are you still there???

Are you still there???

tanko wrote: »

Are you still there???

Yea was
    Not much room, enjoyed Marie Lou & Adam
    Thought it was end 2020 myself
    All tranches end the one time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Yea was
    Not much room, enjoyed Marie Lou & Adam
    Thought it was end 2020 myself
    All tranches end the one time
    What was it like. Unfortunately I missed it due to a mechanical breakdown today.

Base price wrote: »
    What was it like. Unfortunately I missed it due to a mechanical breakdown today.

I thought it was alright
    Got there slightly late & the vet bit was on, it was very good they talked about hygiene calving pneumonia & scour
    Then they did a bit on how a bad brexit & CAP
    Axa was starting when I was leaving

There was very little room in the bull ring, some had to go into scales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I thought it was alright
    Got there slightly late & the vet bit was on, it was very good they talked about hygiene calving pneumonia & scour
    Then they did a bit on how a bad brexit & CAP
    Axa was starting when I was leaving

There was very little room in the bull ring, some had to go into scales

What was the weight per number like :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Reggie. wrote: »
    What was the weight per number like :D

That overflow happened at ennis at the beef genomics info days- nobody wanted to be the first or last on the scales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

Does your coop care like this?

Question is...do you pay cash or put it on the account and risk she'll see the docket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

alps wrote: »
    Does your coop care like this?

Question is...do you pay cash or put it on the account and risk she'll see the docket?

The boom is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

The boom is back.

Ya wanna see Dublin. I witnessed a fella buy a watch for €580 over the Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ya wanna see Dublin. I witnessed a fella buy a watch for €580 over the Christmas
    Time is money, Reggie:pac:

He probably bought it for his oh to sweeten her up before he told her he was after buying another tractor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

He probably bought it for his oh to sweeten her up before he told her he was after buying another tractor...

Does it work Whelan?
    Speaking from experience?
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

So asking a prob v stupid question as it's something that I can't figure out how it could be done but I'm in pain so going to ask it anyway. Is there any way of getting a new calf to drink off a cow when they are that bit stupid that doesn't involve breaking your bank bending down and trying to push them in? If you have two people it's fine but one it's v frustrating and ends in my back spasaming when they are particularly dumb. Or anything that will align the calf up in the right way...? Cows not an issue generally as they are fine....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Jb1989

L1985 wrote: »
    So asking a prob v stupid question as it's something that I can't figure out how it could be done but I'm in pain so going to ask it anyway. Is there any way of getting a new calf to drink off a cow when they are that bit stupid that doesn't involve breaking your bank bending down and trying to push them in? If you have two people it's fine but one it's v frustrating and ends in my back spasaming when they are particularly dumb. Or anything that will align the calf up in the right way...? Cows not an issue generally as they are fine....

Suck injection from vets
    Honey on tits to make them sweet
    Bit of hunger for calf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

It's more to get then in position to start drinking so the honey or injection I don't usually need. hunger might but when it's a new born my focus is to get them the beastings as fast as possible and to save me time milking the cow and feeding the calf that way. Doesn't happen with every calf maybe in 14or something but it's enough of an issue for my back when It does!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement