Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    To be fair gozunda, I didn’t tar all hunts just our local one, there is another one that’s passes every Christmas and never an issue, we lost ewes and lambs a few years ago when despite NOT giving them permission they went into the land and drove heavy inlamb ewes all over the place, on another occasion again due to stock on the land they were refused permission, again they entered and when told to get out a number of them told my father to f’ck off. I really can only speak to this one hunt which is a quite large and well known

Can you not go the legal route? Send them a solicitors letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Ours would be and it doesn't sound like fun to me either. @butford I'd love
    To do that but it's a wood and too many entrance points-it's something I might have to look at thou. Tbf on the hunts the way the land is they are always going to end up in there and I'm aware of that and I was easy going about it if they just gave me some notice as surely they are aware as well. We have too many around the place as there was a fifth that was going to come through last week but decided to go a different route after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I'd shoot the dogs. Or shoot at the dogs.They are causing livestock to be upset. There will be agro afterwards but they won't come back.

I warned them guard, look at my stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭The Rabbi

L1985 wrote: »
    Ours would be and it doesn't sound like fun to me either. @butford I'd love
    To do that but it's a wood and too many entrance points-it's something I might have to look at thou. Tbf on the hunts the way the land is they are always going to end up in there and I'm aware of that and I was easy going about it if they just gave me some notice as surely they are aware as well. We have too many around the place as there was a fifth that was going to come through last week but decided to go a different route after.

If you had a chat with your neighbours would they agree to banning the hunt off their land.It might not be worth their while hunting in the area then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We normally get a notice in the post a week before the hunt is to be held. Now there's no number to contact anyone on it and they still address it to my dad, farm has been in my name nearly 20 years

• Advertisement

TBH I wouldn't shoot dogs unless they were worrying stock-not their fault Thor owners are arrogant assholes! I don't want to go into too many identifying details here as I've prob said enough but my neighbours wouldn't ban the hunt.
    @whelab the first hunt called-no one here and left no card! I explicitly messaged them last year and said for the third time we have to be told-apparently driving down the lane classifies as being told! It shows their respect for landowners now doesn't it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭148multi

L1985 wrote: »
    TBH I wouldn't shoot dogs unless they were worrying stock-not their fault Thor owners are arrogant assholes! I don't want to go into too many identifying details here as I've prob said enough but my neighbours wouldn't ban the hunt.
    @whelab the first hunt called-no one here and left no card! I explicitly messaged them last year and said for the third time we have to be told-apparently driving down the lane classifies as being told! It shows their respect for landowners now doesn't it!

Think shooting dog's in this situation would be very heavy handed, can you put up, no hunting, no trespassing signs, and post a cease and desist letter to the hunt master for each hunt club, they won't have a leg to stand on then. As I understand when there are no signs up, legally they are classed as visitors, not trespassers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Local hunt came tru our area a few years back. The dogs got ahead of the riders and went tru a local sheep farm. Drove a lot of sheep into deep trenches and drowned them. :mad:

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

How not to calve a cow, courtesy of a vegan animal sanctuary :rolleyes:

Also if you look at the latest tweet, there is something definitely wrong with the cow, skinny as fcuk & no milk.
    https://twitter.com/bhfreebh/status/1079446973550333953

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Was that hunting with dogs shyte not banned years ago??

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Was that hunting with dogs shyte not banned years ago??

Drag hunts are allowed, not actual fox hunting. Though if they come across a fox they'll go after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

How not to calve a cow, courtesy of a vegan animal sanctuary :rolleyes:

Also if you look at the latest tweet, there is something definitely wrong with the cow, skinny as fcuk & no milk.
    https://twitter.com/bhfreebh/status/1079446973550333953
    And the milk for feeding the calf was sourced from other farms nearby as the mother was dry at the time the second video was released.

And the vet who examined that cow posted a letter saying the cow was in perfect health, a vet whose speciality was in pets and 'companion farm animals'.

Yeah, companion farm animals....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

The hunting will be gone in another generation. No young lads to be seen following it around here. Man next to me keeps a few dogs seven or eight I think. Only 4 lads in the local hunt now and they're all shoving on and a bit crocked.
    I'd love to see it packed in. Hate seeing lads marching across the farm. I consider it the same as standing on a grave. The height of ignorance. Thankfully no mounted hunt here. Passed along the road about 10 yrs ago. They hunt neighbouring townlands on occasions. Definitely not popular. Headed by bigwigs and could have up to 40 horses out on a day. Lots of kids out on ponies as well. They had a knackery as well but that closed in the last few months. Some lads are lamenting this now as they would get a concession on fallen stock as the hunt would cross their land even though they didn't give them permission. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Drag hunts are allowed, not actual fox hunting. Though if they come across a fox they'll go after it.
    When was fox hunting banned in Ireland?
    Stag hunting was banned (Ward Union) a few years ago.

Base price wrote: »
    When was fox hunting banned in Ireland?
    Stag hunting was banned (Ward Union) a few years ago.

I stand corrected, thought it had been banned here but seems the Leitrim Harriers only tend to do the drag hunts.

I stand corrected, thought it had been banned here but seems the Leitrim Harriers only tend to do the drag hunts.
    A number of hunts (both harrier and fox hound packs) are now either full drag hunts or will lay a drag in areas where land is limited.

Anyone who has had repeated issues with their local hunt should contact the Hunting Association of Ireland http://www.huntingassociation.ie/index.html#contact

148multi wrote: »
    Think shooting dog's in this situation would be very heavy handed, can you put up, no hunting, no trespassing signs, and post a cease and desist letter to the hunt master for each hunt club, they won't have a leg to stand on then. As I understand when there are no signs up, legally they are classed as visitors, not trespassers.
    Dont you know the dogs can't read the signs apparently....

Thanks base price. I will be contacting them. I don't think they realise the issues they cause-because I work full time I'm under serious pressure on Saturdays and don't have the time for that kind of carry on. Also im protective of my stock and don't want them stressed or worried for no reason. The sense of entitlement beggars believe although part of the issue is hat my dad was too soft with them for too many years.
    We don't seem to have drag hunts around here-they are all after foxes!

Yeah, six bells and it's still daylight :)

Base price wrote: »
    Yeah, six bells and it's still daylight :)

I just said that here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Evening stretch is now near 90 mins. The 16 weeks of dark time, that's 8 weeks before and after winter solstice is nearly over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Water John wrote: »
    Evening stretch is now near 90 mins. The 16 weeks of dark time, that's 8 weeks before and after winter solstice is nearly over.

Hopefully the daylight saving time rubbish will be done away with now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

The bit I cannot understand is, why it doesn't revert to summer time at the end of February rather than waiting for a third month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Farmer wrote: »
    The bit I cannot understand is, why it doesn't revert to summer time at the end of February rather than waiting for a third month

Exactly!

Rang Corrib oil looking for a delivery in the next few days at 11.45. Lorry just pulled up now! Must be a slow day :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Rang Corrib oil looking for a delivery in the next few days at 11.45. Lorry just pulled up now! Must be a slow day :pac:

I was asking the driver one day about this, I’d rang at 9am and delivery by 3pm.
    The fully load each truck and each has an narea it covers, even if no actual orders in the book the truck is loaded and sent out, they can then fulfill orders immediately they come in.

It’s an impressive business strategy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

_Brian wrote: »
    I was asking the driver one day about this, I’d rang at 9am and delivery by 3pm.
    The fully load each truck and each has an narea it covers, even if no actual orders in the book the truck is loaded and sent out, they can then fulfill orders immediately they come in.

It’s an impressive business strategy

It makes good business sense. Even to redirect loads no point in having a truck to drive out of its way next day to deliver to one house. The company I order it has a lad driving that lives a few miles away. They always tell me it will be delivered next day, I know it will be delivered that evening last load on the way home.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Can’t bate the feeling of nice new comfy wellies, but any ideas what the hole at the top is for...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Snowfire wrote: »
    Can’t bate the feeling of nice new comfy wellies, but any ideas what the hole at the top is for...?

Have a pair of them and couldn't figure it out. They are a heavy wellington though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

its to let the steam out when you are working too hard:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Bekina Steplite are light years ahead of those hip breakers.

badtoro wrote: »
    Bekina Steplite are light years ahead of those hip breakers.

Maybe the holes are to attach the hobbles to so...!

Grueller wrote: »
    Have a pair of them and couldn't figure it out. They are a heavy wellington though

From their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I'd a heifer with bloat this past few days. I dosed her today with some liquid paraffin.
    She was out wintered though I moved them to a nice bit of grass last Wednesday.
    It's not something I'd expect this early in the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'd a heifer with bloat this past few days. I dosed her today with some liquid paraffin.

Now if you had some biochar...

Ok I'll stop now. :pac:

• Advertisement

Much clover..?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

The 12 volt port in my Jeep stopped working during the week, I'm no mechanic but I suspected a blown fuse was to blame. I didn't have any suitable fuse and decided it was easiest to get the lad in the garage/tyre place beside the mart to stick one in it while I was at work. At the start of the shift I left the Jeep outside the garage and informed him where it was, keys left in the ignition and he said he'd do it at some stage during the day.

I duly left him to it and went about my business as usual. A few hours later I got a phone call from him and was told sternly that "there's no fu#king fuse gone in this yoke". As I said before I'm gifted at many things but mechanical repairs are usually beyond me, therefore I had no reason to doubt him and was left wondering as to what could have caused the problem and how awkward/expensive the repair would be.

Over the phone he went on to inform me that he'd spent the guts of an hour swapping fuses, messing with a voltage meter and tracing wiring. Work wasn't that busy and I decided that a quick trip out as far as him would be the best idea and I could see for myself what was happening. I was greet by the sight of all doors and bonnet open, several fuses and voltage meter's strewn on the passenger seat and my mechanic muttering to himself while stuck head first into the fuse box under the steering wheel. The presence of a woman waiting to get tyres fitted while he wasted precious time on what should have been a 2 minute job didn't help matters.

I immediately spotted the problem and told him that I had bad news. That wasn't my Jeep, another lad had pulled up outside my Jeep with an almost identical one and left the keys in the ignition. My mechanic had walked out and opened the door which was unlocked, was greeted by the keys and set to work without question as to whose the vehicle was. Once he'd looked at the correct Jeep it was a 30 second job to stick in a new fuse and the port was back working again. As I said to him afterwards it was a good job I didn't tell him to stick on 4 new tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Much clover..?

I would think practically zero. Reseeded in 1986.

Too early in the year any way for clover. Sudden change of diet can be a problem.
    Let the cattle the option of nibbling a silage bale. My own occasionally stroll back in to the shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Got a pair last week too, nice, don't know reason though

• Advertisement

It's just a waterline, if you're not watching where you are going and you feel the dribble down inside your wellie, you know you're knee deep in sh1t.

Water John wrote: »
    It's just a waterline, if you're not watching where you are going and you feel the dribble down inside your wellie, you know you're knee deep in sh1t.

Reminds me of an incident a few yrs back. Neighbour had 3 heifers climb into a slurry channel and then down into a slatted tank. There was about 2.5ft of watery soup in the tank. We had to build a ramp to get them back out. Last one broke our heart. I had waders on and had to do a few lengths of the tank before she climbed out. I made a shocking discovery though. There were holes in the waders around knee height. Had a gallon of shyte in both legs when i got out. I got some laugh when i pulled them off and poured out the contents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I used get a few with bloat in the sheds in spring before and just after leaving them out. My vet told me to dose them for coccidiosis and no problems since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Booked a heifer for a local sale, 25 minutes of not getting through, followed by 3 minutes on hold while taking an early break
    You'd think there would be easier ways

Head down for the rest of the day now

Booked a heifer for a local sale, 25 minutes of not getting through, followed by 3 minutes on hold while taking an early break
    You'd think there would be easier ways

Head down for the rest of the day now

Perhaps befriend one of the staff and you could book through them if there reliable. There's usually one person in charge of sorting out the sales sheets and doing up the physical numbers. This is how the dealers and regulars book every week in most places I've frequented. I've found dealing with office staff can be hit and miss as it's hard to always get the same person and therefore you can be forgotten easily. A local haulier or dealer if trustworthy would also get the job done, there regulars and therefore usually have more of a shout regards getting booked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Perhaps befriend one of the staff and you could book through them if there reliable. There's usually one person in charge of sorting out the sales sheets and doing up the physical numbers. This is how the dealers and regulars book every week in most places I've frequented. I've found dealing with office staff can be hit and miss as it's hard to always get the same person and therefore you can be forgotten easily. A local haulier or dealer if trustworthy would also get the job done, there regulars and therefore usually have more of a shout regards getting booked in.

Sadly I know you're right, but it not a fair system

Sadly I know you're right, but it not a fair system

I don't know of many fair systems that involve dealing with large numbers of people tbh. If I go into a local Agri merchant's for 5 bags of meal and the local beef Baron is there getting his weekly ton pallet of same who is going to get a better price and payment options? It's not fair but such is life imo. As with everything I believe you have to work with what you have and befriending a key person in any situation will always pay dividends regards how your looked after. Perhaps throwing one of the more approachable lads a tenner every so often would do the trick. If he's anyways interested in the job than I'm sure he'll not see you stuck for much the next time he sees you coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I don't know of many fair systems that involve dealing with large numbers of people tbh. If I go into a local Agri merchant's for 5 bags of meal and the local beef Baron is there getting his weekly ton pallet of same who is going to get a better price and payment options? It's not fair but such is life imo. As with everything I believe you have to work with what you have and befriending a key person in any situation will always pay dividends regards how your looked after. Perhaps throwing one of the more approachable lads a tenner every so often would do the trick. If he's anyways interested in the job than I'm sure he'll not see you stuck for much the next time he sees you coming.

The more we change the more we stay the same.
    Sadly the advice above is probably very accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

the difference is if you're in the que ahead of the lad getting the pallet you'll get your bags before the baron

_Brian wrote: »
    The more we change the more we stay the same.
    Sadly the advice above is probably very accurate.

This is getting very philosophical for a debate about the trials and tribulations of getting good numbers in a sale. One of the conclusions that I've came to during my time on this rock is that what should happen and what does happen aren't always one and the same. I believe this fact rings through in every aspect of life and if you can make peace with it everything becomes easier. Fairness or unfairness is a human imposed concept imo and is only present in the minds of those who believe in it.

I'll try to get back to the matter in hand and I still would argue that pre-booking lot numbers is as good a system as any. The concept of first come first serve is great in theory but is easily manipulated also. The occasional or unknown clients are out before dawn while preferential numbers are left aside for regulars who arrive at a more sociable hour and will still make it to the ring before those queuing since early morning.

As for "draws" to decide the order of sale there another nuisance imo. In for example a sale with 500 lots and you're 300 back then if you decide to show stock you'd be soon enough arriving after the sale starts if this is allowed by the mart. It's somewhat annoying to be there since early morning and have to wait till dark night for your turn to sell as the draw went against you or a heap of numbers were held for a dealer or other good client. Having said this I never understand why some lads are so eager to get out of marts as quickly as possible. It's one of the few pay days in the year if selling and is still of crucial importance if buying. I've always enjoyed it and still do even with working at it for the last few years.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement