Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Did you notice how burned up the land around it is?

It fairly brown around alright.
    Shur aren’t ye built on rocks- anywhere there is there is rocks at home, it turned brown too.

I saw a very brown frog there today- isn’t that a bad sign of the weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Shur aren’t ye built on rocks- anywhere there is there is rocks at home, it turned brown too.

At this stage, that brown frog is a sign of good weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭I says

He’s after getting a tan during the heatwave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

As far as I know the colour of a frogs skin is dependent on the environment that it lives in so that it can blend in and hide from predators. I used to think that different coloured frogs were different species iykwim but I was told that they are all the same - common frogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Did you notice how burned up the land around it is?
    Yea any dale/spruce hedges have no grass while native there’s lots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Happy French fans........not a bad day overall, Kilkenny bet, France win the World Cup and Galway beat Kerry :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yea any dale/spruce hedges have no grass while native there’s lots

Are you joking? The grass is white around every ash, sycamore and oak tree.
    You can clearly see the extent of the root spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Are you joking? The grass is white around every ash, sycamore and oak tree.
    You can clearly see the extent of the root spread.

In the middle of tidying up some ground, being fencing off & on for last few months (hard spring)
    Dale hedges then & now have pines no vegetation & post could keep sinking.
    Hedges with Ash, thorn, whin & sally I’ve to use hedge knife.

Did you fields get a skinning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Not sure on the acidifying the land part.
    It does I suppose but how and ever.
    Most of the land it's planted on is pretty acidic anyway.

Studies on Salmon and Trout in conifer afforested catchments in the Wicklow Mtns showed poor reproduction and numerious health problems due to acid leachate compared to fish in catchments without such forestry. Increased acidity also causes higher levels of Aluminium in water supplies which has been linked to Alzheimers in medical journals

https://www.jstor.org/stable/20499894?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The Depression Thread is back to its original location as a sticky on the main forum for its holidays. :)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Studies on Salmon and Trout in conifer afforested catchments in the Wicklow Mtns showed poor reproduction and numerious health problems due to acid leachate compared to fish in catchments without such forestry. Increased acidity also causes higher levels of Aluminium in water supplies which has been linked to Alzheimers in medical journals

https://www.jstor.org/stable/20499894?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
    Surely the most acid soil alive is blanket peat bog.
    I don't hear anyone complaining about them.

There is a link between Alzheimer's and various neurological problems and aluminium. I think you may be reaching a bit trying to link it to conifer trees.
    I'd blame it more on our use of aluminium in foil, food packets, drink cans, etc.

Is Alzheimer's more prevalent in Canada and Scandinavia?

I'd say Alzheimer's is a more recent disease from our modern way of living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

There is a link between Alzheimer's and various neurological problems and aluminium. I think you may be reaching a bit trying to link it to conifer trees.
    I'd blame it more on our use of aluminium in foil, food packets, drink cans, etc.

Fair comment there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I would imagine the forestries in Canada and Scandinavia are not monocultures or at the densities sown here

Blanket bog is the natural climax vegetation of these regions with the bog mosses in particular maintaining a certain ph which native species are evolved to deal with. Sowing monoculture conifers disrupts this balance and the needles themselves trap acidic elements from the air and concentrate them on the forest floor which then leaches into the ground and surface water and causes a drop in ph that negatively affects receiving lakes, rivers etc..

grassroot1 wrote: »
    I would imagine the forestries in Canada and Scandinavia are not monocultures or at the densities sown here

Good point - Sitka spruce has recently been declared an "invasive species" in Norway

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/3ac0/dbd1e87e97da92951e65a52a334e1620ca43.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

My grandad worked for the local forestry. The forestry would be mainly sita spruce. He planted all the hedges on the farm with ash and oak. They're huge trees now. I've never cut down a tree yet I have about 3 years of firewood in the shed. All from windfall.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I recently found 2 oak saplings growing about 10ft our from a ditch. The acorns are still there!
    If they survive The lambs that are in that field atm i plan to transplant them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

ganmo wrote: »
    I recently found 2 oak saplings growing about 10ft our from a ditch. The acorns are still there!
    If they survive The lambs that are in that field atm i plan to transplant them

Lots of oak sapling around this year about 5 on the lawn and another 2-3 amoung shrubs. Mowing lawn around them. Plan to trans plant some of the better ones over the winter.

Slava Ukrainii

Could you not transplant the now? Just take a bigger scoop out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

just a word of warning re acorns , in dry years like this they seem to be plentiful and may fall early

usually no grass under the tree and cattle go mad for them , they are highly toxic if consumed in large quantities and can cause sudden death

My grandad worked for the local forestry. The forestry would be mainly sita spruce. He planted all the hedges on the farm with ash and oak. They're huge trees now. I've never cut down a tree yet I ihave about 3 years of firewood in the shed. All from windfall.

Your grandad wasn't my neighbour so..
    A neighbour here worked on the planting of the Blackstairs.

Every rath and waste ground in the area was planted with Norway spruce.
    Majestic trees. :p

If anyone is doing a bit of touring in the southeast take a road from Camolin to Carnew. It's the road on the south side of Camolin with O Sullivan agri shed on the entrance to that road.
    There's an area called Ballytarsna on that road near Kilrush that's being nicknamed little Switzerland for the view (and the trees) alone.

If anyone is doing a bit of touring in the southeast take a road from Camolin to Carnew. It's the road on the south side of Camolin with O Sullivan agri shed on the entrance to that road.
    There's an area called Ballytarsna on that road near Kilrush that's being nicknamed little Switzerland for the view (and the trees) alone.

Just went along the road there on Google Earth. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭newholland mad

Is that's near the 2 combine scrap yards. Often down there this time of the year. Know exactly what you mean often commented about those wooded hills. Not very native looking.

Is that's near the 2 combine scrap yards. Often down there this time of the year. Know exactly what you mean often commented about those wooded hills. Not very native looking.

Enchanced is another word for not very native looking. ;)

Yea that's the place you're looking down into the combine breakers. :)

Poor oul trees getting a bad rap here.
    And not a word about the employment they bring.
    If a foreign species does well here it's obviously going to be farmed here same as maize or potatoes or barley all foreign.
    Not native looking either.
    Even the majority of ash plantations were foreign stock from England. Beech, Sycamore, Chestnut, even some of the gorse bushes as well as many more all non natives.
    It's a contrary ould road if people want to go down to see Ireland back the way it was before humans first arrived. Sure there was oak, ash and birch but long before they were here there were the conifers and long before they were and Ireland was in the south seas there were palm trees. So whatever floats your boat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

orm0nd wrote: »
    just a word of warning re acorns , in dry years like this they seem to be plentiful and may fall early

usually no grass under the tree and cattle go mad for them , they are highly toxic if consumed in large quantities and can cause sudden death

Timely warning. Gastro-intestinal irritation and kidney failure, if memory serves.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If a foreign species does well here it's obviously going to be farmed here same as maize or potatoes or barley all foreign.
    Even the majority of ash plantations were foreign stock from England. Beech, Sycamore, Chestnut, even some of the gorse bushes as well as many more all non natives.
    It's a contrary ould road if people want to go down to see Ireland back the way it was before humans first arrived. Sure there was oak, ash and birch but long before they were here there were the conifers and long before they were and Ireland was in the south seas there were palm trees. So whatever floats your boat.

Before humans arrived here, there was a thousand meters deep of ice covering 4/5ths of the country.

http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/past/pre_norman_history/iceage.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Before humans arrived here, there was a thousand meters deep of ice covering 4/5ths of the country.

Good point. The automobile, electricity wires, phone masts houses and cites are also not native here.

Sitka Spruce is a crop, not a whole lot different to other crops, and there is a viable market for its end product.
    Planting what are thought to be native trees is a nice idea but there is no viable market for the end product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Could you not transplant the now? Just take a bigger scoop out.

If they were in Grass land and libel to be grazed I try that. Just keep watered after transplanting. You will have to really drench them twice a week. You cannot depend on rainfall

Slava Ukrainii

And after that time there was the time of the pine forests in Ireland.

Much like any Scandinavian forest.
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/lifestyle/fascinating-facts-about-trees-in-ireland-27418015.html

There's a story going that the first humans cleared the softwoods first as it was softer obviously for their stone axes and straighter trunks for building. This comes from some archaeological remains found in the ceide fields. They were probably in decline by then anyway.

I think your missing the bigger point - Sitka spruce monocultures support little or no native pollinators,birds etc. and cause many other problems as I outlined above.The other tree species you mention(both native and non-native) are all much better in that regard and in any case the EU now has a requirement for a 30% broadleaf component in new forestry as a recognition of such facts. Indeed the forestry service is currently having to explain its lack in enforcement on earlier requirements in this area to the EU as we speak. As for employment - French oak is currently making world record prices due to demand from China and worldwide that demand will only increase as tropical forests are logged out or subject to logging bans. Hardwoods while obviously a longer term investment return much higher yields per sq m2 and with the booming firewood demand and other offcuts from thinnings are making nice money too as they are much better quality then what comes out of Sitka plantations. And before anyone says we can't grow hardwoods like that then they don't know their history about the source of oak etc. for the early British Navy, House of Commons etc.

I should also mention as part of reducing CO2 and methane emissions from farming, planting spruce on blanket bogs and other peatlands is actually counter-productive as the destruction of these habitats by draining and ploughing for such forestry releases vast amounts of these pollutents as peat is one of the worlds major carbon stores and sequators.

PS: No one wants to go back to the stone -age, its about embracing sustainability and putting more than spin behind the likes of "origin green" etc.

• Advertisement

And after that time there was the time of the pine forests in Ireland.

Massive different between industrial conifer plantations and natural Scots Pine and other native conifer forests on mainland Europe. For a flavor of the latter visit parts of the Scottish uplands or the Coronation forest in Wicklow. The latter supports a wonderful area of flora and fauna in bright open canopies and is a big tourist asset too, the former has all the ecological merits of tarmac!!:(

If they were in Grass land and libel to be grazed I try that. Just keep watered after transplanting. You will have to really drench them twice a week. You cannot depend on rainfall

The lambs were already in the field when I spotted them and I’m not in a position to draw water to trees

A lot of the land that conifers are planted on are uplands that wouldn't support hardwoods and they do provide some habitat for wildlife.
    I still don't get the hatred for the conifer. Maybe too much is expected. It's sole purpose is to get a good timber crop off marginal land which it does pretty well.
    An acidity issue was raised but then it's more than likely that run off from these areas was pretty acidic anyway.
    I'm getting pigeonholed into defending the conifer. Any tree that removes co2 from the atmosphere and produces oxygen is a winner in my book. It's just the conifer is getting bashed as it's a highly successful crop on upland areas with a fast turn around. It may not look pretty to someone who likes the vast open spaces which are man made too but money talks...
    The only ones who object don't depend on that money. Same for all objectors the world over.

It turns co2 into a usable carbon so it's a winner for me.

(Lucky I never mentioned Eucalyptus plantations).

P.s it's an easy exercise to see how much carbon is in a thing. Be that soil, plant, animal.
    Just put that thing in a cooker and you'll be left with the black carbon.
    We've just about reached the stage now where every acre in the world needs to be pulling as much carbon as possible out of the atmosphere.
    To make that carbon undegradable should be the next step.
    Bogland will pull a small amount in a certain timeframe and hold but it won't be the same volume as a quick growing forest and that bog can always release that carbon back if it dries out.
    This is not anti bogs just that they're not perfect either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I may have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I may have

This reminds me of something that happened here a while ago I asked my nephew did he do it his reply was maybe I did, maybe I didn't. If it was one of my own they would have got a toe in the hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I took this from half way up a mountainside in Switzerland yesterday morning. Wasn't really looking at the trees ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

I may have

Forgot the rest of your post?

Something that you'd never think of before.

The water table in soil rises and lowers twice a day the same as the tidal force on the sea.
    Not sure if it's true or not. Anyone with a draw well that can prove this?

So the rising and lowering water table pushes out air when it's rising and pulls air into the soil when it's lowering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I may have

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Forgot the rest of your post?

She may have ....

The water table in soil rises and lowers twice a day the same as the tidal force on the sea.

So the rising and lowering water table pushes out air when it's rising and pulls air into the soil when it's lowering.

Well (pardon the pun) here's one for you. Talking to a Toolmaker one day that works in Shannon. The company he works for bought a precision table a while back. Now toolmakers work in microns, that's 0.001mm. The table was set up accurately to record that level of precision on machined metal parts. Company went to use it and the accuracy was off. Called the supplier of the table in. He checked it again. It was fine. Company checked a peice there and then, they agreed it was fine. Following day, accuracy was off again. Called in the installation engineer again. Table was off. Couldn't understand it. What was it? The tide.
    They were located out near the estuary and as the tide came in, it would deflect the foundation and floor of the building that much to throw it off,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Well (pardon the pun) here's one for you. Talking to a Toolmaker one day that works in Shannon. The company he works for bought a precision table a while back. Now toolmakers work in microns, that's 0.001mm. The table was set up accurately to record that level of precision on machined metal parts. Company went to use it and the accuracy was off. Called the supplier of the table in. He checked it again. It was fine. Company checked a peice there and then, they agreed it was fine. Following day, accuracy was off again. Called in the installation engineer again. Table was off. Couldn't understand it. What was it? The tide.
    They were located out near the estuary and as the tide came in, it would deflect the foundation and floor of the building that much to throw it off,

I was thinking about this after I went to bed. It can definitely happen at the coast, maybe not inland though.

A friend of mine was working in Shannon industrial estate close to the airport. Part of her job was to monitor water samples in wells around the site. Even though the water was fresh, they varied with the tide as well.

AFAIK a lot of the airport area was a swamp back in the 1940's before the airport was built. Say my name have you any links?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

blue5000 wrote: »
    I was thinking about this after I went to bed. It can definitely happen at the coast, maybe not inland though.

A friend of mine was working in Shannon industrial estate close to the airport. Part of her job was to monitor water samples in wells around the site. Even though the water was fresh, they varied with the tide as well.

AFAIK a lot of the airport area was a swamp back in the 1940's before the airport was built. Say my name have you any links?

Ya they were gping to put the airport either on a stretch of bog on the way into galway city or in shannon . they picked shannon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

30 quid for bag of spuds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

See a woman in her 50s died in a farm accident in Galway yesterday involving cattle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Your right- Shannon airport was on a pure swamp. A lot of locals to here including my fathers were in the building of the runway

Waterlevel.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

naughto wrote: »
    30 quid for bag of spuds

$25 for a 20kg bag of "sabago" variety in season at the minute and bought direct from the big market outside sydney. Lot of ating in that bag last my uncle his partner and toddler 4-5 weeks.

Better living everyone

No I was just watching Dan Kittredge on YouTube last night on one of his talks.
    And one of the discussions from the seats was about the water table rising with the moon slightly the same as the tides in the sea and roots on plants get water twice a day in a slight drought.

I'd think for it to happen as you say you'd want to be near a tidal area or else maybe a bog or level area of ground. If there's any slope at all I'd imagine it would just keep going downward with the slope.

YouTube clip here. It's an hour and 30 minutes long. :eek:
    https://youtu.be/im42xjLEk3A

You did ask for the link.:D

Ya they were gping to put the airport either on a stretch of bog on the way into galway city or in shannon . they picked shannon

Shannon estuary was a landing strip for the "flying boats" in the late 30's.
    So it probably swayed it why they wanted to stay close to Limerick.

Wexford harbour was used as a landing strip by the U.S. air force in ww1 for their flying boats against the German u boats in the Irish and Celtic sea.
    The base was on the opposite side of the river bank to Wexford town. I think Ely house before it became a hospital in later years was the headquarters with the huts/airmen accommodation across the road by the river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

And then they built Bunratty Castle to be near the airport. (well according to one American tourist)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement