Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Trying to do a commencement notice online for new building. Any tips. It seems geared towards residential buildings not agricultural

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

My Grandmother as a Widow reared 6 kids,4 sons and two daughters
    She was a widow at 32 working the farm right though the 30's to the 80's
    She wore lipstick every day and drank guinness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mortelaro wrote: »
    My Grandmother as a Widow reared 6 kids,4 sons and two daughters
    She was a widow at 32 working the farm right though the 30's to the 80's
    She wore lipstick every day and drank guinness
    +1

My grandmother on my fathers side reared 7 and bossed the farm for the bones of a decade while my grandfather was in a Sanitorium and did most of that as well after he returned in poor enough health.

She was a farmer, not a woman farmer, and was treated like any other farmer.

She was one tough cookie though:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭148multi

+1

My grandmother on my fathers side reared 7 and bossed the farm for the bones of a decade while my grandfather was in a Sanitorium and did most of that as well after he returned in poor enough health.

Wasn't off the grass you licked it so, judge ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb4Ckb9f4y8

Worth watching a lot of his other videos too.

I had the pleasure of seeing him live not long ago

An extremely smart man, and not afraid to call it as it is. Big fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

My dad was helping a farmer fill out some forms, sitting at the kitchen table in the farmhouse. Going through expenses etc to see what could be claimed and how to work out a pension.

All the while this was going on the farmers wife was cleaning out ashes, feeding children, helping with homework, feeding pigs and hens, collecting eggs, making a tart, putting on the ham and peeling spuds, then drawing in timber for the open fire, and making more pots of tea with fresh scones. She never stopped for a moment.

Anyway as Dad was asking about dependants and if the farmer had previously had a PAYE job off the farm at some stage to see if any stamps were worked up I guess.

Anyway, Dad asked if the wife had worked a PAYE job.... the farmer said “oh no, she never worked a day in her life”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭I says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭emaherx

Odelay wrote: »
    My dad was helping a farmer fill out some forms, sitting at the kitchen table in the farmhouse. Going through expenses etc to see what could be claimed and how to work out a pension.

All the while this was going on the farmers wife was cleaning out ashes, feeding children, helping with homework, feeding pigs and hens, collecting eggs, making a tart, putting on the ham and peeling spuds, then drawing in timber for the open fire, and making more pots of tea with fresh scones. She never stopped for a moment.

Anyway as Dad was asking about dependants and if the farmer had previously had a PAYE job off the farm at some stage to see if any stamps were worked up I guess.

Anyway, Dad asked if the wife had worked a PAYE job.... the farmer said “oh no, she never worked a day in her life”.

Sound like your Dad was talking to my Dad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Grass discussion group I'm kind of a member of only has one female farmer out of sixteen.

A good few years ago when I was in ag college. There were three female students out of ninety strapping ag students.

These famous female farmers keeping the show on the road might be out there but they must be staying at home??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

+1

You'll be interested to know my Granny was from the Diocese of Kerry:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Collected me "piece of paper" at graduation today in Mountbellew Ag College ;)

Had to rush away then to get back to yard for reading of herd test. All clear ;)

Young lads in bed. Time to crack open a beer.

Twas very sad one of the lads, l wouldn't have known him well, but he passed away since finishing the course. His wife and 2 young kids collected the cert on his behalf. Not a dry eye in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Grass discussion group I'm kind of a member of only has one female farmer out of sixteen.

A good few years ago when I was in ag college. There were three female students out of ninety strapping ag students.

These famous female farmers keeping the show on the road might be out there but they must be staying at home??

I'm the only female in my KT meeting …… the rest were inclined to try and get me to do the filling out of questionnaires etc when we were doing various activities. Our advisor put a stop to that before me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Mortelaro, she could have been Cork woman as part of Kerry Diocese takes in North Cork and the Beara peninsula.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Panch18 wrote: »
    I had the pleasure of seeing him live not long ago

An extremely smart man, and not afraid to call it as it is. Big fan

Hey Lobster, what's up. :D Ya, must have watched every video at this stage. He (Jordan Peterson) always seems to hit the nail on the head with his arguments.
    I'm starting to watch Joe Rogan podcasts now aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/25/veganism-intensively-farmed-meat-dairy-soya-maize

Interesting article, I’ll be reading more about their enterprise.

https://youtu.be/mP3-TsRRSys

Obviously we all can’t do this style of change but I do beleive that we can all do something to improve biodiversity on our land. Given the chance nature recovers and with enough effort biodiversity loss can be reversed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

_Brian wrote: »
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/25/veganism-intensively-farmed-meat-dairy-soya-maize

Interesting article, I’ll be reading more about their enterprise.

https://youtu.be/mP3-TsRRSys

Obviously we all can’t do this style of change but I do beleive that we can all do something to improve biodiversity on our land. Given the chance nature recovers and with enough effort biodiversity loss can be reversed.

Saw another article about that farm somewhere. The set up is something else - more like a safari park!. Must see if I can find it ...

Anyone go to the Limousin bull sale.in Gort last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Anyone go to the Limousin bull sale.in Gort last night?

Some prices on Twitter. 3K was highest I saw.

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »
    Some prices on Twitter. 3K was highest I saw.

Ya, I saw those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mortelaro wrote: »
    You'll be interested to know my Granny was from the Diocese of Kerry:D
    As we say down here, sure doesn't he come from good stock:p

Odelay wrote: »

I see where Damian O Reilly breached "the declining role of women" subject on farms this morning.

Succession, partnerships are also included.

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_countrywide.xml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Looks bad for donkeys.......in terms of cap grant aid, donkeys can only account for 50% of the livestock units for grant purposes and there was me looking to buy a load of donkeys :D

That ad for sheep kills from 1984 was way before it's time

Things don’t change........this is from 1919:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Looks bad for donkeys.......in terms of cap grant aid, donkeys can only account for 50% of the livestock units for grant purposes and there was me looking to buy a load of donkeys :D

Donkeys got a sucker punch there during the week!! Only for the sanctuary’s input And welfare issues sounds like they’d cut them out altogether but can only make up 50% of L.U requirement from 2020

Meanwhile on a pig farm across the Irish Sea.
    A farmer's attempt at biosecurity and security in general fails miserably as 200 vegan protesters invade the farm.

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/live-updates-200-activists-storm-2602130

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

sonnybill wrote: »
    Donkeys got a sucker punch there during the week!! Only for the sanctuary’s input And welfare issues sounds like they’d cut them out altogether but can only make up 50% of L.U requirement from 2020

Who is behind this move?? The usual suspects I suppose:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

A farmer's attempt at biosecurity and security in general fails miserably as 200 vegan protesters invade the farm.

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/live-updates-200-activists-storm-2602130

Idiots

Reggie. wrote: »
    Idiots

But just shows you the craic now.

You'd want to be careful about what you're posting now if not already.

Even in this country I see some pig farmers are getting dogs abuse on social media. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that a similar stunt won't be pulled here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

But just shows you the craic now.

You'd want to be careful about what you're posting now if not already.

Even in this country I see some pig farmers are getting dogs abuse on social media. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that a similar stunt won't be pulled here.
    Aren’t some Dairy farms being targeted on social media too

Image is everything

Why arent the police arresting these people? If that’s not trespass then I don’t know what is

I bet you if 200 of us went up and invaded the google buildings in dublin it wouldn’t be long before we’d be seeing the inside of a cell

Why arent the police arresting these people? If that’s not trespass then I don’t know what is

I bet you if 200 of us went up and invaded the google buildings in dublin it wouldn’t be long before we’d be seeing the inside of a cell

Dragged out by the collar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Trespass is only a crime if there's another crime commuted at the same time. So if someone walks into your sitting room a starts watch in tele they haven't committed a crime

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Who is behind this move?? The usual suspects I suppose:rolleyes:

First raised by Mr covney so it's been in the pipes for a while

I read the article - funnily enough its the usual suspects. How yer man with a criminal convictions from Australia was again allowed back into the UK to stir up this ****e is beyond me. He is all over YouTube calling for eegits to target farms in the UK especially dairy farms. The only thing us to stand up to these fekers and dont give them an inch. The law needs to be much more proactive with this minority of extremists.

ganmo wrote: »
    Trespass is only a crime if there's another crime commuted at the same time. So if someone walks into your sitting room a starts watch in tele they haven't committed a crime

Trespass into a persons house is a criminal offence as it is part of the curtilage of your home.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1994/act/2/section/13/enacted/en/html

However lands etc are treated differently with regard to trespass.

gozunda wrote: »
    Trespass into a persons house is a criminal offence as it is part of the curtilage of your home.

What about farmyards as a health and safety issue

Reggie. wrote: »
    What about farmyards as a health and safety issue

Farmyard adjacent to house would also be curtilage afaik

Intersting bit here

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/rural-crime/justice-minister-says-no-plans-to-change-trespass-laws-despite-farmer-fears-37586983.html

Could they go into a yard and chain themselves under a large and very shiny slurry tanker? :D

• Advertisement

Farming is tough enough as it it without having to deal with those looneys. Could be the straw that breaks the camels back in some cases.

Muckit wrote: »
    Could they go into a yard and chain themselves under a large and very shiny slurry tanker? :D

Hopefully it's the wheel they chain themselves to or if it's the FILs yard just let out the limos bet they wouldn't be long moving then

whelan2 wrote: »
    Farming is tough enough as it it without having to deal with those looneys. Could be the straw that breaks the camels back in some cases.

I find it unusual that such a small percentage are making such an appearance. Like what's said before if that was any other industry the police would be very heavy handed

gozunda wrote: »

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057957410/1/#post109467330

The legal discussion had that thread recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

ganmo wrote: »

Not True

One of those days today, heifer calved unexpectedly, all sorted now, wouldn’t mind but I was up at 1:45am and 6:30am checking ewes but didn’t go into shed. Was filling up with diesel for the week when I realised I’d put in €11 euro of petrol:mad:, was thinking I’d need to get some beastings etc etc etc basically not paying attention. Anyway rang buddy who is a mechanic and he said fill her up with diesel and keep topping her up every evening. No damage ✅ by the way don’t anyone tell me otherwise :D.

Heifer not inclined to let calf suck but will do so in the crush so will have to do again around 10pm and then to bed:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

I had six calves out with their mothers but it's so miserable I decided to bring them in. 5 out of The six were shivering and were soaked but I still had to chase them up and down the hill as they didn't really want to go in. Herding calves (2-4 weeks) is like herding cats!!! And to top it off i ended up slipping on the concrete. Great to have them in thou as there was some temp drop. so saying it's only 5 years that we have them in calving-before that they were always out and apparently were fine!

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    One of those days today, heifer calved unexpectedly, all sorted now, wouldn’t mind but I was up at 1:45am and 6:30am checking ewes but didn’t go into shed. Was filling up with diesel for the week when I realised I’d put in €11 euro of petrol:mad:, was thinking I’d need to get some beastings etc etc etc basically not paying attention. Anyway rang buddy who is a mechanic and he said fill her up with diesel and keep topping her up every evening. No damage ✅ by the way don’t anyone tell me otherwise :D.

Heifer not inclined to let calf suck but will do so in the crush so will have to do again around 10pm and then to bed:rolleyes:

Have never done it myself but apparently a bit of petrol in diesel is no problem, but a bit of diesel in a petrol engine is a bit problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Have never done it myself but apparently a bit of petrol in diesel is no problem, but a bit of diesel in a petrol engine is a bit problem

A friend phoned me one night telling me he put petrol in his lorry back about ten miles and then he stopped near here for tea, left the engine running and when he went to move off after the tea it would only tick over, so he was going to drain the most of it and asked me to bring diesel, when I got to him I nearly couldn't see him with the smoke,
    He got home after anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I’m an expert at it. Twice I filled the car with petrol- once cut out and other chugged along.

Some mechanics tell you to put a few quid of Petrol rather than the additive to clear out the injectors.

On another note- I started back running in January- oh had no problem dropping the lads and making time for herself so I decided to do the same- have 147km walked and run since and targeting 30km per week and I’ve 4kg lost- another 15kg to go but that will come.

Have a re interview for job that was appealed on Tuesday- hard to get motivated with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement