Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Great win for the English and Irish lions in wembly tonight:D

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Where could i find a fuel pump for a 2004 terex HR16 on line. Ive found a couple of places but they dont ship to ireland

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Where could i find a fuel pump for a 2004 terex HR16 on line. Ive found a couple of places but they dont ship to ireland

If it's in UK, and if they ship to N. Ireland register yourself with parcel motel, https://www.parcelmotel.com/

costs I think 3.90 or 4.90 up to 10kg.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Still 0-0 in Gibralter. McCarthy needs to go.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Lovely red sky out there now

Took a picture same as same Louth to Galway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Spent a few hours straightening things in the tunnel earlier. Planting seeds to get things going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

_Brian wrote: »
    Spent a few hours straightening things in the tunnel earlier. Planting seeds to get things going.

Spent the day planting summer bulbs and wild flower mixes - great day for it:)

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Spent the day planting summer bulbs and wild flower mixes - great day for it:)

Spent the day on the side lines. That's the start of it all again now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Spent the day clipping backs and tails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

What did you put in?
    We're hoping to put up a tunnel in the coming weeks.
    Given the current ground conditions I was thinking of ploughing the garden next week.

What did you put in?
    We're hoping to put up a tunnel in the coming weeks.
    Given the current ground conditions I was thinking of ploughing the garden next week.

We’re total amateurs.

Myself and 10YO daughter having a go and learning.

Sowed three types of tomatoes, cucumbers, chillis, peppers and carrots.

We’re total amateurs.

Myself and 10YO daughter having a go and learning.

Sowed three types of tomatoes, cucumbers, chillis, peppers and carrots.

I'm a big fan of the dwarf French beans. Get your hands on a pack , I see them in Lidl at the moment, monster crop from a small plant. Keep harvesting them and along come more!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Spent the day clipping backs and tails.

Spent the day in the mart, gone since before 9 and not long home. Only for the craic it would be a very long day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

I'm a big fan of the dwarf French beans. Get your hands on a pack , I see them in Lidl at the moment, monster crop from a small plant. Keep harvesting them and along come more!

I’m looking forward to it all starting again.
    Be at spuds from Monday on. :)

Neighbor rang me a while ago, old wh cow calving with the calf coming backwards, changed and just as I was starting car rang me back to say she calved, my question is can a cow calve a calf coming backwards or was he mistaken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

Highly unlikely i'd say.

tanko wrote: »
    Highly unlikely i'd say.

That’s what I thought:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    That’s what I thought:D

I've seen it once but the calf was very small.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Neighbor rang me a while ago, old wh cow calving with the calf coming backwards, changed and just as I was starting car rang me back to say she calved, my question is can a cow calve a calf coming backwards or was he mistaken?

Of course it can, a small percentage of posterior presentations is normal. It's probably riskier for both calf and cow but most should go okay.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Happy birthday Reggie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

What would happen in the wild? Calf and then cow would die, I suppose. Tell that to vegans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Happy birthday Reggie

I feel so young :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What would happen in the wild? Calf and then cow would die, I suppose. Tell that to vegans.

It's not like they'd listen anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Most of the calving problems that occur are down to how man has changed cattle from their wild ancestors. Bigger frame, use for draught and double muscle.
    Thats said I suppose what you have said is correct in the wild a difficult calving ends in death. Survival of the fittest and natural selection.
    I presume when you find a calf with the naval cord broken off right at the body it most likely came backwards.

• Advertisement

I am filling out the form for cattle going to the factory. What is Iprodione?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Simple, yet effective, if you've enough calves to do at once!

https://twitter.com/diver_shaun/status/1109531755214790661

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Most of the calving problems that occur are down to how man has changed cattle from their wild ancestors. Bigger frame, use for draught and double muscle.
    Thats said I suppose what you have said is correct in the wild a difficult calving ends in death. Survival of the fittest and natural selection.
    I presume when you find a calf with the naval cord broken off right at the body it most likely came backwards.

Same could be said of sheep breeding in north west Europe. Small operated indoor birthing facilities leading to more time available per birth with knock on effects then of breeding Suffolk sheep with HUGE heads.
    Compared that with extensive sheep breeding in the southern hemisphere with no assistance at birthing resulting in a Suffolk sheep that bears no resemblance to their European ancestors.

Crux of the story is that people breed themselves hardship.

Something to keep the grumbling farmer grumbling I suppose? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Simple, yet effective, if you've enough calves to do at once!

https://twitter.com/diver_shaun/status/1109531755214790661

That's one for the Labour saving thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I am filling out the form for cattle going to the factory. What is Iprodione?
    According to google it's a fungicide used mostly on veg and fruit but is no longer licenced for use in EU.

• Advertisement

A neighbour and myself observed another neighbour's cow calving from a short distance last spring. We deducted the calf was coming backwards from the way the legs were positioned and the lack of any head visible. As we were debating the next move (this cow was in the middle of a field with no crush or handling unit near by) the cow lay down and proceeded to calve a good sized CH heifer calf backwards. The cow was a LMx and once she lay down had the calf out in less than a minute. Only for the fact that the other man present witnessed the same I would have had my doubts but it did happen. He's over 70 and never seen the like before so indeed every day is a school day.

Date for yer diaries.

European ploughing championships are next weekend at Old Ross, Co.Wexford.

I was driving along today as you.do and I noticed a stubble field all marked out with flagpoles at the end of every plot.
    I hadn't a clue what it was about till I saw the Npa signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Grueller

I remember on Countryfile seeing Adam Henson on I think it was the Hebridean Islands off of Scotland.
    I can't remember the exact numbers but humans stopped farming there over 30 years ago and left a herd of about 30 cattle there. In the intervening time that herd has only increased by about 20 cattle due to disease, injury, deaths at calving and in breeding. All ills are not down to farming.

Feckin weekend gone again, blink of an eye from Friday evening till Sunday night :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Grueller wrote: »
    I remember on Countryfile seeing Adam Henson on I think it was the Hebridean Islands off of Scotland.
    I can't remember the exact numbers but humans stopped farming there over 30 years ago and left a herd of about 30 cattle there. In the intervening time that herd has only increased by about 20 cattle due to disease, injury, deaths at calving and in breeding. All ills are not down to farming.
    That's a small increase. They should throw out a Jersey bull for the craic 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Feckin weekend gone again, blink of an eye from Friday evening till Sunday night :(

I'm going to stretch it out till tomorrow aswell. I didn't get anything done this weekend with one thing and another

Bullocks wrote: »
    That's a small increase. They should throw out a Jersey bull for the craic 😂

The whole herd would be worth a fiver in ten years.

Is the time changing next weekend?

Eldest lad is sick in bed, really miss his help. Wasn't much of a weekend here.

I remember the episode in question, the name of the island was Swona if I my memory serves me right. The cattle present had been left to largely fend for themselves but it wasn't a great example of farmed animals turning "wild" either. The island was only a few hundred acres in size which meant that it could only sustain a small herd. This small sample size means that individual occurrences have a large impact upon the overall image, for example a larger area would sustain more animals which could ease inbreeding due to a larger gene pool.

Secondly the lack of any natural predators meant that the necessary culling of the weak or infirm did not occur. A predator would pick off any calves that bore the ill effects of inbreeding and therefore prevent these undesirable traits being passed onto future offspring. Human intervention is a must in such scenarios if natural predation doesn't occur otherwise starvation or other factors must fulfill the role.

The cattle on Swona were once domesticated and are more feral than truly "wild" imo. The few decades they have been unattended are only the blink of an eye in evolutionary terms. Due to the limiting factors mentioned above I believe that they would probably suffer extinction relatively quickly. Nature is all about balance and if you remove any of the links in the chain the entire utopia falls apart before your eyes.

• Advertisement

Is the time changing next weekend?

It is.

Who'd imagine Daniel o Donnell driving an RV being entertainment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Who'd imagine Daniel o Donnell driving an RV being entertainment?

It ain't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

No l don't think so. Still be 24hours in the day and 7 days in the week.

Reggie. wrote: »
    It ain't

Ah it's better than Mrs Brown's Boys.

Majella is a great match for him. Funny oul pair.

I remember the episode in question, the name of the island was Swona if I my memory serves me right. The cattle present had been left to largely fend for themselves but it wasn't a great example of farmed animals turning "wild" either. The island was only a few hundred acres in size which meant that it could only sustain a small herd. This small sample size means that individual occurrences have a large impact upon the overall image, for example a larger area would sustain more animals which could ease inbreeding due to a larger gene pool.

Secondly the lack of any natural predators meant that the necessary culling of the weak or infirm did not occur. A predator would pick off any calves that bore the ill effects of inbreeding and therefore prevent these undesirable traits being passed onto future offspring. Human intervention is a must in such scenarios if natural predation doesn't occur otherwise starvation or other factors must fulfill the role.

The cattle on Swona were once domesticated and are more feral than truly "wild" imo. The few decades they have been unattended are only the blink of an eye in evolutionary terms. Due to the limiting factors mentioned above I believe that they would probably suffer extinction relatively quickly. Nature is all about balance and if you remove any of the links in the chain the entire utopia falls apart before your eyes.

Don't disagree with any of that. The impression I got was that they would not multiply any faster with the changing of these factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

And a hell of a lot better than the dancing sh1t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

And a hell of a lot better than the dancing sh1t

It was grand until Calamity Jaysus showed up. Just had to turn it off!!

Don't disagree with any of that. The impression I got was that they would not multiply any faster with the changing of these factors.

I don't know if the population increase would vary much due to the factors above but it would almost certainly lead to a fitter population. Any population increase would be linear and as the herd got larger more breeding females should mean a larger increase. It's misleading to paint the Swona cattle as a wild population as there environment isn't representative of a true wild animal imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I don't know if the population increase would vary much due to the factors above but it would almost certainly lead to a fitter population. Any population increase would be linear and as the herd got larger more breeding females should mean a larger increase. It's misleading to paint the Swona cattle as a wild population as there environment isn't representative of a true wild animal imo.

Yeah - another example would be this. They also tried "rewilding" cattle in Holland recently but without large predators to cull sick,weak animals etc. the herd was hit by overgrazing, starvation and disease

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement