Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Muckit wrote: »
    Ride on was out of action last spring then young lad was born. Things got ahead of me so in the end used the topper and stayed using it. Never left a mark with the drought!

I use the topper all the time, 2/3 of an acre of a garden. My Australian uncle was very impressed when I told him the ride on lawn mower had 130 hp.:o

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Pod123

Neighbour has cut to day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Went to see this film tonight.
    I thought it was brilliant, a tonic to thwart all the Brexit doom and gloom and will leave you with lots to think about.

https://www.thejournal.ie/the-man-who-wanted-to-fly-cavan-film-4556222-Mar2019/?utm_source=facebook_short&fbclid=IwAR21XQxxbECkh9TMtHTz39X32ld3lgBptoCA4Rm0MyMnLIDO9091mNtJ8Sk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Went to see this film tonight.
    I thought it was brilliant, a tonic to thwart all the Brexit doom and gloom and will leave you with lots to think about.

https://www.thejournal.ie/the-man-who-wanted-to-fly-cavan-film-4556222-Mar2019/?utm_source=facebook_short&fbclid=IwAR21XQxxbECkh9TMtHTz39X32ld3lgBptoCA4Rm0MyMnLIDO9091mNtJ8Sk

Must go see it myself. Would recognise a few faces in it. The paraglide has passed over here on occasion.

https://www.daveperry.tv/

Website of the cameraman who filmed it.

Eldest is in Irish Open Swim Championships starting this morning until Sunday evening.

I’ll have to settle for watching it live stream later as I’m working, well depending on phone reception in rural Cavan so it could be a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

The fella that gave me all the grief the other night looking none the worse for wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Quick q best fertilizer to put out on land not reseeded in 20 year for grass

marathon wrote: »
    Quick q best fertilizer to put out on land not reseeded in 20 year for grass

I’d always think 18-6-12 when you don’t know how the fertility is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

_Brian wrote: »
    I’d always think 18-6-12 when you don’t know how the fertility is.

Yes I'd think so. Or l use Gouldings "replenish" regularly. Basically an 18-6-12 with turbo boost :D

I find bag/acre good on old grazing. Plenty of nitrogen for it opposed to 27units in Can

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It's like Leaving Cert weather out now:)

Yes I'd think so. Or l use Gouldings "replenish" regularly. Basically an 18-6-12 with turbo boost :D

I find bag/acre good on old grazing. Plenty of nitrogen for it opposed to 27units in Can

Must look at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

In Cavan town today, and the smell of sewage is very strong.
    The river that flows through town is a solid green colour, and has an oily sheen to the surface.
    So I rang the Council, and asked for the Environmental section.
    Tried to report a sewage spill, but was told " sorry, we cannot investigate anything like that unless instructed by Irish Water".

Hold on, says I. If a farmer let slurry into a river, do you guys not take samples and investigate?"

Oh yes, she says, we will do so if its a private individual causing it but we can't if its anything to do with a municipal sewage system!

So I rang Irish Water. Went through a long process of describing where the problem was, and the last question was "And in what county is Cavan town located in, and how do you spell that?"

Five minutes later I get a phone call from some lad who said " you're probably fed up with me ringing you, but do you know this Xxxx Xxxx ( my name) fellow, or what's he like?

Explained that I was that "fellow" and then he started telling me to be sure and upcast the ownership of Irish Water to any candidates calling in the EU elections.

Not expecting anything to be done about the river ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    In Cavan town today, and the smell of sewage is very strong.
    The river that flows through town is a solid green colour, and has an oily sheen to the surface.
    So I rang the Council, and asked for the Environmental section.
    Tried to report a sewage spill, but was told " sorry, we cannot investigate anything like that unless instructed by Irish Water".

Hold on, says I. If a farmer let slurry into a river, do you guys not take samples and investigate?"

Oh yes, she says, we will do so if its a private individual causing it but we can't if its anything to do with a municipal sewage system!

So I rang Irish Water. Went through a long process of describing where the problem was, and the last question was "And in what county is Cavan town located in, and how do you spell that?"

Five minutes later I get a phone call from some lad who said " you're probably fed up with me ringing you, but do you know this Xxxx Xxxx ( my name) fellow, or what's he like?

Explained that I was that "fellow" and then he started telling me to be sure and upcast the ownership of Irish Water to any candidates calling in the EU elections.

Not expecting anything to be done about the river ....

We get that here too. I normally just ring a lad I know in the council when I see the sewerage overflowing into the river. He is always very appreciative of the call as he is supposed to monitor the flow to the treatment plant. I normally take a photo too of the river. I also report anything like water leaks by pm to the boards Irish water rep. Normally get a call back soon enough

Eldest is in Irish Open Swim Championships starting this morning until Sunday evening.

I’ll have to settle for watching it live stream later as I’m working, well depending on phone reception in rural Cavan so it could be a long shot.

How did she do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    We get that here too. I normally just ring a lad I know in the council when I see the sewerage overflowing into the river. He is always very appreciative of the call as he is supposed to monitor the flow to the treatment plant. I normally take a photo too of the river. I also report anything like water leaks by pm to the boards Irish water rep. Normally get a call back soon enough
    How are you feeling now. I must have picked it up from you (via the laptop) cause I feel like crap and my head is bursting. Heading out now to feed calves that are on tad.

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    How are you feeling now. I must have picked it up from you (via the laptop) cause I feel like crap and my head is bursting. Heading out now to feed calves that are on tad.

Slowly dying.... Longest milking ever this evening. Have someone going to milk in the morning. He said I must be really sick if I'm not milking... Feel really weak. Shivering etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Slowly dying.... Longest milking ever this evening. Have someone going to milk in the morning. He said I must be really sick if I'm not milking... Feel really weak. Shivering etc

There is a bad dose going around, no doubt about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Got the spuds planted today. Along with onions, peas and broadbeans. :)
    Have to cover About 8 beds of spuds and two beds peas/broadbeans 2mora.
    Tis my cars birthday 2mora along with the 6month mark to the wedding :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Got the spuds planted today. Along with onions, peas and broadbeans. :)
    Have to cover About 8 beds of spuds and two beds peas/broadbeans 2mora.
    Tis my cars birthday 2mora along with the 6month mark to the wedding :O
    Great weather for it. I mean the planting.
    Not bad either for a birthday party for a car - I'd go with a barbecue.

How did she do?

Thanks she did great.
    9th fastest female in the country in 50m Butterfly, beat her personal best in both races.
    No more races until Saturday & Sunday so it’s back to school tomorrow for a rest.

She’s just 16 but qualified fast enough to swim in the senior open age finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Thanks she did great.
    9th fastest female in the country in 50m Butterfly, beat her personal best in both races.
    No more races until Saturday & Sunday so it’s back to school tomorrow for a rest.

Congratulations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Thanks she did great.

She pulled two PB's in the Championship. That's a serious result. Couldn't ask for more than that. Fair play to her. An athlete for the big occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

In my youth I remember going to the local abattoir with the ol fella to procure some 'cud' from a freshly killed animal, a few litres.
    This was bottled into a sick dairy cow, not an easy task, I remember getting a faceful of it at one stage.
    I don't remember what ailment she had, I do remember the 'cud' was a last resort and it cured her when vet visits could not.
    I'm wondering if anyone else has ever heard of such a situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

In my youth I remember going to the local abattoir with the ol fella to procure some 'cud' from a freshly killed animal, a few litres.
    This was bottled into a sick dairy cow, not an easy task, I remember getting a faceful of it at one stage.
    I don't remember what ailment she had, I do remember the 'cud' was a last resort and it cured her when vet visits could not.
    I'm wondering if anyone else has ever heard of such a situation.

Murrain* after redwater: Cow stopped eating for 9/10 days and digestive system had shut down. It's to do with putting active bacteria back into the gut to start the digestive juices going again. Used the same cure myself & yes it smells like fermented death. There's a synthetic version of it now (if I remember correctly, possibly not:pac:) and it's basically to kickstart the rumen bacteria again.

*I'm not sure if that's the correct spelling but it's the only one I can find online which sorta matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Have had the odd few days where I end up with a 24hr vomiting bug or whatever, I remember being awake all night once, crawling out the parlour to milk the next morning, was the longest 2hrs of my life, straight back to bed then, and thankfully the young lad I had doing relief milking was able to take over for the next 2 or 3 milkings. Touch wood I've had nothing other than a 2day headcold in the last 2yrs, only things I can put that down to are regular multivitamins, better diet (I still eat plenty of guilt free junkie food, however I never ever skip any of the 3 square meals a day), the flu jab every Yr, and finally always wrapping up well when cold and not getting dragged outside in a tshirt/light top for a 2min job that turns into 20mins of hardship ha.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Timmaay wrote: »
    Have had the odd few days where I end up with a 24hr vomiting bug or whatever, I remember being awake all night once, crawling out the parlour to milk the next morning, was the longest 2hrs of my life, straight back to bed then, and thankfully the young lad I had doing relief milking was able to take over for the next 2 or 3 milkings. Touch wood I've had nothing other than a 2day headcold in the last 2yrs, only things I can put that down to are regular multivitamins, better diet (I still eat plenty of guilt free junkie food, however I never ever skip any of the 3 square meals a day), the flu jab every Yr, and finally always wrapping up well when cold and not getting dragged outside in a tshirt/light top for a 2min job that turns into 20mins of hardship ha.

I'm fortunate in that I'm rarely sick although when I do fall victim to a virus or similar it strikes with a vengeance. It usually means being laid up for a day or two which is never ideal, I got a dose last November and I wasn't right for nearly a week. Apart from wearing appropriate clothing I aspire to your above regime although I don't think I'd ever get that organised tbh. I put on a bit of weight over the winter, my diet is the main problem imo. It's dismal really, I don't eat breakfast and lunch is time dependent. Dinner is the main meal usually, I detest cooking so if alone it's a takeaway. The other main weakness when I'm on the go is Coke and chocolate, the passenger footwell is half full of wrappers and empty bottles every few days.

Murrain* after redwater: Cow stopped eating for 9/10 days and digestive system had shut down. It's to do with putting active bacteria back into the gut to start the digestive juices going again. Used the same cure myself & yes it smells like fermented death. There's a synthetic version of it now (if I remember correctly, possibly not:pac:) and it's basically to kickstart the rumen bacteria again.

*I'm not sure if that's the correct spelling but it's the only one I can find online which sorta matches.

We had to do a PM on a heifer that died quickly here few years ago, sending samples of organs etc off for review

Opening The stomachs was indeed the most gruesome thing ive ever witnessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

https://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/im-really-really-sorry-vegan-youtube-star-captured-eating-fish-on-camera-apologises-to-her-fans-37957012.html

You'd be tempted to get on the high horse reading this at first but I actually pity her the way she has to justify a healthy diet to her "fans"/followers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Suckler wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/im-really-really-sorry-vegan-youtube-star-captured-eating-fish-on-camera-apologises-to-her-fans-37957012.html

You'd be tempted to get on the high horse reading this at first but I actually pity her the way she has to justify a healthy diet to her "fans"/followers.

Ah the truth shall set you free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭emaherx

To be fair to Vegans, this lady was not on a Vegan diet she was on a "Raw Vegan" diet which is a special kind of stupid.

• Advertisement

Just extremes of humanity.
    Same as people who eat themselves to 300kg on fast foods.

Honestly same as the fatties nobody would care or know if they kept it to themselves and tolerated the rest of us to follow the lifestyle we want. My problem is with the facist extreme vegans wanting to stop the lifestyle I want to follow.

Timmaay wrote: »

I'll be going to the doctors today. Youngest lad has it too and my dad and oh getting it now. Eldest lad sick since Sunday

I'm fortunate in that I'm rarely sick although when I do fall victim to a virus or similar it strikes with a vengeance. It usually means being laid up for a day or two which is never ideal, I got a dose last November and I wasn't right for nearly a week. Apart from wearing appropriate clothing I aspire to your above regime although I don't think I'd ever get that organised tbh. I put on a bit of weight over the winter, my diet is the main problem imo. It's dismal really, I don't eat breakfast and lunch is time dependent. Dinner is the main meal usually, I detest cooking so if alone it's a takeaway. The other main weakness when I'm on the go is Coke and chocolate, the passenger footwell is half full of wrappers and empty bottles every few days.

Fair play for your honestly ha. I was alot more like that (I remember once purposely not taking any rubbish outa the car for a week, it shocked me totally literally min 3bottles of lucozade/day, so I made the effort to cut back then), however thankfully I do quite a bit of running which gives more motivation to eat better, and that burns off the junk food. However eating well is far from being any sort of strict regime (trust me your the 1st person to refer to me as being organised in about 10yrs haha), it's definitely shouldn't be an obsession either (that's why most diets fail), it's just down to abit of self respect for your body. I don't hugely buy the lacking time element ha, there are loads of reasonable healthy fast foods as such, making 10mins 3times a day for a somewhat square meal absolutely has to be within your control.

I'll be going to the doctors today. Youngest lad has it too and my dad and oh getting it now. Eldest lad sick since Sunday

Jesus.
    Curse when a dose goes through the house like that.

emaherx wrote: »
    To be fair to Vegans, this lady was not on a Vegan diet she was on a "Raw Vegan" diet which is a special kind of stupid.

I got a good friend who I've seen go through the vegan cycle here over the last 5 yrs, he has taking back up eggs now as a result of a blood test telling him he was very low in B12 I think, alongside generally feeling fairly crap and all that the last few months. I don't think he was ever on the raw vegan diet ha, I'll have to ask him next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

I’m the very same, I was anyway, January this year I gave up the takeaways for the month, along with the dry January. Have to say was the best move I ever made. Started thinking about dinner around 3pm and made sure to pick up something on the way home.
    Once I got into the habit of making sure there was a bit at home for the dinner I never really fell back into the takeaway habit. Maybe once a week, or once a fortnight now, as opposed to 3/4 nights a week.

Now if I could tackle the coke and sweets thing I’d be laughing, but being on the road all day it isn’t easy, they seem the follow me to the checkout when I’m paying for diesel

5 min well spent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭148multi

5 min well spent

Sold your soul 🀑🀑🀑

Anyone with Netflix, Afterlife is a great watch starring Ricky Gervais, I think it’s the best role I’ve ever seen him in. He’s written it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

5 min well spent

Speaking of which when is the deadline?

148multi wrote: »
    Sold your soul 🀑🀑🀑

There's probably more than a grain of truth in what you say.

Speaking of which when is the deadline?

15th May!

Anyone with Netflix, Afterlife is a great watch starring Ricky Gervais, I think it’s the best role I’ve ever seen him in. He’s written it too.

_Brian I've asked so many people and nobody can give me a figure, perhaps you would know. Now l know every household is diff, but what kind of data usage does Netflix use??

I sorted my Wi-Fi issues there a few years ago as herself works from home on occasion. So l don't want to use all my allowance on netflix!!

We have basic sky package and will prob stay with it til young lads are bigger as has all their fav programmes and record function and series link is a necessity.

Also l never watch telly in realtime anymore and great to go into planner and just binge watch when get a chance.

But l do like the idea of eventually getting shot of SKY and using Netflix and some other of telly steaming service. I have a Chromecast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭emaherx

Depends on your quality settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I've spent the last 3 days out spreading piggy poo, which resulted in a draw from the piggery to the field of about 9 miles each way. Over the days, I spread 29 loads. Now, most of the trip is along the old N7 road, nice and wide. To get to the piggery, it's a right turn off the road. It amazes me the amount of numpties in cars when I go to turn. I've my flashy lights going, big red tanker and all the indicators working. Of the 29 times, 6 times, SIX, idiots went to pass me. I'd be on the white line indicating and they'd come flying up and go about overtaking. WTF is wrong with people? Few of them realised and then went the right way, but 3 actually passed me. One lad defiantly sh!t himself when I started making the turn

Also, would ye recommend horsing out some bagged fertiliser on top of the pig slurry or is there enough in the slurry for the grass to grow?

• Advertisement

I've spent the last 3 days out spreading piggy poo, which resulted in a draw from the piggery to the field of about 9 miles each way.

Ah you poor poor unfortunate. That has to be hard on you with the sun shining down and the raybands on, radio up and "party hats on" as you cruise the highways and byways in a state of the art fendt and shiny refurbed tanker..... :D:D God bless you, you poor creatur we're not one bit jealous!!! :D:D

_Brian I've asked so many people and nobody can give me a figure, perhaps you would know. Now l know every household is diff, but what kind of data usage does Netflix use??

I sorted my Wi-Fi issues there a few years ago as herself works from home on occasion. So l don't want to use all my allowance on netflix!!

We have basic sky package and will prob stay with it til young lads are bigger as has all their fav programmes and record function and series link is a necessity.

Also l never watch telly in realtime anymore and great to go into planner and just binge watch when get a chance.

But l do like the idea of eventually getting shot of SKY and using Netflix and some other of telly steaming service. I have a Chromecast.

I honestly don’t know.
    We’re on an unlimited plan with rural wi fi, it’s not super fast but it’s grand.

I’d say 95% of what we watch and listen to is streamed online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Ah you poor poor unfortunate. That has to be hard on you with the sun shining down and the raybands on, radio up and "party hats on" as you cruise the highways and byways in a state of the art fendt and shiny refurbed tanker..... :D:D God bless you, you poor creatur we're not one bit jealous!!! :D:D

Raybans? FFS lad ya couldn't be wearing them or lads would think ya had notions, or worse, money

(BTW, those 3 days were pure bliss. Stuck back into the office now and I'm pure fed up!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

"Survey" plane flying over here today. You'd swear it was going to crash, it was flying so low. Must have passed over the area 10 times.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

"Surey" plane flying over here today. You'd swear it was going to crash, it was flying so low. Must have passed over the area 10 times.

Ya sure it wasn't a survey plane?? Cattle were grand with it here...thought they might react.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement