Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Will a townie ever know the relief and happiness a clear herd test brings:)

Happy out !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Exactly it was a help when sourcing stock, having said that I don't mind dealer's stock if there suitable quality and price. This is for breeding stock so moves aren't an issue and there are some lads I wouldn't deal with regardless of what they had. The county identifiers were done away with in 2016 I think in favour of 3 regional codes, 21, 22 and 23 are the codes now. The tag format of IE changed to 372 and the check digit moved down to the bottom line at the same time.

As far back as I go, tags started with four digits and two letters. The first letter was a county code that matched the letter that was the first bit of the herd number. 26 letters for 26 counties. Put the counties in alphabetical order and go down the alphabet beside them. A was Carlow, Z was Wicklow. The second letter functioned like a number , going on to the next letter once 9999 was reached. Over the years the tags gained an extra letter and an extra digit with a check digit. The extra letter was an A at the end for most counties but Cork with its multiple DVOs got B and C (and maybe D) as well. The herd number gained an extra digit as a check digit but X was also included.
    Then came the first yellow tags with four letters and four digits followed by another letter. I could see no pattern to the letters.
    The next change was the recent herd identifiers with check digits followed by individual animal numbers, starting with 11 for Carlow and ending with 39 for West Wicklow, awarded similarly to before, I assume. Some counties with two DVOs got two. Tipperary got 33 and 34. Wicklow got 38 and 39.
    The recent change I can't follow. In my area its mixed between 21 and 22 with no county association I can see.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

_Brian wrote: »
    Will a townie ever know the relief and happiness a clear herd test brings:)

Happy out !

Or the stress in the week leading up to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Or the stress in the week leading up to it!

Be much the same as waiting for the Social Welfare officer to call, and wondering if you've hidden all the boyfriends stuff well enough......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Grueller

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Be much the same as waiting for the Social Welfare officer to call, and wondering if you've hidden all the boyfriends stuff well enough......

Laughed more than I should have at this

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Shocking and upsetting news from Derry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I couldn't believe it when I read that two atm's were stolen in Kells last night and two more were taken in separate raids in Antrim and Armagh. At this rate there will be none left in the country.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2019/0419/1043533-atm-kells/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I don't understand how it takes the guards so long to get to these robberies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

As far as I'm aware Kells has a 24hr barracks. Up the top end of the town. A few hundred yards from the robberies.

• Advertisement

As far as I'm aware Kells has a 24hr barracks. Up the top end of the town. A few hundred yards from the robberies.

Yea it has.

Funny the difference, we had a strange van creeping down our lane at 5am few years ago, Mrs rang local station and we had a car out in 10 minutes, and were five minutes from town.

I don’t think the guards want to confront serious criminals any more, chances of some idiot with a gun has gotten too high, can’t blame them either. New guards start at something like €23k, older guards never leave the station. Who’s going to risk their life for €23k a year, that’s less than €12/hr, they’d get more stacking shelves in Aldi.

These guys don't give a fiddlers about the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Base price wrote: »
    I couldn't believe it when I read that two atm's were stolen in Kells last night and two more were taken in separate raids in Antrim and Armagh. At this rate there will be none left in the country.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2019/0419/1043533-atm-kells/

I'd just love to get the lad on the digger.
    Imagine what he'd get done in a day around the place considering what he can achieve in 5 mins !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Ye the Garda Station is actually looking down on the the street with the banks, they used to say there was a camera in the barracks looking down over the town. I wouldn't mind but there was no cash in either of these machines the last couple of weekend. This whole thing will do away with cash altogether. These lads are handy on a digger alright they probably had the two of them out and on a trailer in a few minutes before the garads even got out of their seats and into the squad car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

As Brian has posted. The guards won't risk their life over a poxy machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,858 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I wonder was there actually any guards in the station?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Yea it has.

Funny the difference, we had a strange van creeping down our lane at 5am few years ago, Mrs rang local station and we had a car out in 10 minutes, and were five minutes from town.

I don’t think the guards want to confront serious criminals any more, chances of some idiot with a gun has gotten too high, can’t blame them either. New guards start at something like €23k, older guards never leave the station. Who’s going to risk their life for €23k a year, that’s less than €12/hr, they’d get more stacking shelves in Aldi.

Post a Gardai pay slip, then the truth will be told

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Ye the Garda Station is actually looking down on the the street with the banks, they used to say there was a camera in the barracks looking down over the town. I wouldn't mind but there was no cash in either of these machines the last couple of weekend. This whole thing will do away with cash altogether. These lads are handy on a digger alright they probably had the two of them out and on a trailer in a few minutes before the garads even got out of their seats and into the squad car.

I'm convinced that someone involved with stocking the ATMs with cash is feeding information to those raiding them. If not then the banks themselves are in on it to reduce the amount of ATMs and cash available in society. I'd imagine they'll come out soon and claim that ATMs are too easy to raid and therefore they'll be phasing them out over the next few years. There's only ever one winner in the long-term with the banks and in my experience it's never the paying clientele.

Yeah, even if you lived on the street and owned a fire-arm yourself, what would you do?
    Stick it out the window and shoot the lad on the digger?
    You'd be in three kinds of šhit.
    Gun confiscated, charged with attempted murder, and a criminal gang/ possible paramilitaries out for revenge.
    And as for the Gardai, unless there was a Detective on duty they would be going up against serious criminals with basically a stick in their hand and a spray can in their pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I'm convinced that someone involved with stocking the ATMs with cash is feeding information to those raiding them. If not then the banks themselves are in on it to reduce the amount of ATMs and cash available in society. I'd imagine they'll come out soon and claim that ATMs are too easy to raid and therefore they'll be phasing them out over the next few years. There's only ever one winner in the long-term with the banks and in my experience it's never the paying clientele.

e04.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

If want rid of them they’ll just close them. Same as they did getting rid of the tellers inside the bank, the same as the post office closing branches. It’s all very simple, not need for bank managers to be driving diggers or colluding with criminals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Well I would say it would suit banks & government rightly if we became a cashless economy. It would do away with the black market and drug dealing as the taxman would know where you got every euro and where you spent it and would provide huge savings for the banks not having to handle cash.
    Feel sorry for the other business beside the banks in Kells this morning as they cant open as the whole area is a crime scene, there is loads of Gardas around there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Well I would say it would suit banks & government rightly if we became a cashless economy. It would do away with the black market and drug dealing as the taxman would know where you got every euro and where you spent it and would provide huge savings for the banks not having to handle cash.
    Feel sorry for the other business beside the banks in Kells this morning as they cant open as the whole area is a crime scene, there is loads of Gardas around there now.

imagine the lads begging on the street with card machines!!

Don’t know.
    Local one here had been empty for hours before it was taken. Was well known to be empty regularly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Don’t know.
    Local one here had been empty for hours before it was taken. Was well known to be empty regularly too.

The robbers should try to make a withdrawal first to check there’s money in it:0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Odelay wrote: »
    The robbers should try to make a withdrawal first to check there’s money in it:0

Wonder would the atms have been topped up for the bank holiday weekend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

orm0nd wrote: »
    Wonder would the atms have been topped up for the bank holiday weekend.

Yes I think they were. Can see insurance going up for track diggers next time lads are getting a quote.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/video-emerges-of-chaos-in-kells-after-double-bank-robbery/

Little bit more info on the Kells bank robbery.
    Well organised by the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Not feeling the love for the office today at all! :(

Parishlad wrote: »
    Not feeling the love for the office today at all! :(

Was a lovely morning here, let 25 yearlings out to outfarm. Bodywarmer and hat gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was a lovely morning here, let 25 yearlings out to outfarm. Bodywarmer and hat gone...

It's lovely here too and I'm stuck inside looking out at it. The place is very quiet with a load of people having taken the day off. Wish I had done the same!

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

We had a cow calve late about 18 months ago, in calf to a Jersey bull and had a heifer calf. The calf turned into a right pet, spoiled by the kids and was christened Blossom but was a problem as she was too small to go in calf with this years heifers and wouldn't stay with last years calves. Never name a calf!

Anyways, she scanned in calf after one of her trips across the fields and we felt we would have to slip the calf for the heifers good:(

So she got two shots for safety and was bullying for both so we were happy enough that she was empty.

She started springing a week ago, about 400kgs max. We expected a section for her but she calved unassisted last night, friesian bull, and strolled in for milking this morning with the rest, happy out, both her and us.

Went to feed the calves after milking and the wee lad decided he wanted to be fed NOW. So he ran the length of the shed and ignored the steps and crashed right through the milk buckets, knocking them all. Luckily, they were empty.

Anyway folks, meet Pinball:)
    ParqGPQ.jpg
    That's why you never name a calf!

We had a cow calve late about 18 months ago, in calf to a Jersey bull and had a heifer calf. The calf turned into a right pet, spoiled by the kids and was christened Blossom but was a problem as she was too small to go in calf with this years heifers and wouldn't stay with last years calves. Never name a calf!

Anyways, she scanned in calf after one of her trips across the fields and we felt we would have to slip the calf for the heifers good:(

So she got two shots for safety and was bullying for both so we were happy enough that she was empty.

She started springing a week ago, about 400kgs max. We expected a section for her but she calved unassisted last night, friesian bull, and strolled in for milking this morning with the rest, happy out, both her and us.

Went to feed the calves after milking and the wee lad decided he wanted to be fed NOW. So he ran the length of the shed and ignored the steps and crashed right through the milk buckets, knocking them all. Luckily, they were empty.

Anyway folks, meet Pinball:)
    ParqGPQ.jpg
    That's why you never name a calf!

Very disappointed, thought it would be called van Dyke or something like that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Very disappointed, thought it would be called van Dyke or something like that...

He's more Shaqiri sized than VVD sized:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭148multi

Well now being devil's advocate, some of the ATMs are begging to be stolen, how many around the country are placed in doorways with a window overhead, a bit more mass concrete would slow down these scuts, which would effectively stop them. But they may do 1mill damage then. Can they not put a tracker in the ATM. I don't know about cashless society, there is huge problem with accounts being hacked and cards cloned.
    You know they are more or less stealing from the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Tagging a calf this morning turned into a rodeo! Calf is about 8 days old and stone, bats**t crazy! Ended up with me lying on top, with OH piling in on top with a tag/tagger in each hand (actually sounds a bit like an orgy when written down!). The cows were lined up standing on the other side of the gate, not a bit concerned. I've never had such trouble to hold a calf. They can often be hard to hold but this one is something else. Anyone know about the AA bull Portuan Volcano?? I have at least 3 more due to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I've taken to tagging calves myself once they are a day old. Anything that makes life easy. They can be lively even then. Did one during the week and I tried to pin him down too, but I ended up on my arse on a bunch of young nettles. Got well stung.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

We weren't able to catch them - cow is very wiley. I don't think I'll be keeping her unless she settles a good bit. This is her first calf. It's taken 3/4 days of coaxing with nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

On the flip side....I tagged & dehorned* a BB calf today & he stayed lying down :pac:

*(Paste at few days old)

• Advertisement

Tag all calves here as soon as born. Saves a lot of hassle, see photos of calves on Facebook must be at least a month old with no tags....

Anyone go to the pub on good Friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Yea it has.

No Garda is on that. The poor mouth speil by the rank and file gardai was orchestrated by the union. Gardai get a multitude of expenses on top of their basic.

Yep, in a place in Athlone called Bounty Bar and grill.
    Savage deep fried cod and chips with salad.
    Few scoops as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Was planning on getting some licking done today, long story short spent the time rewiring it. I'm no master with electrics but a new fuse should have me away in the morning.

Was looking earlier, mix rate for gallup 360 for a licker says 1 to 1 humid weather or 1 to 2 warm dry weather. Isn't that crazy strong? What do others mix at? Think ill chance the rate for a knapsack of 400-500ml per 20liters of water.

Would ye lick a field with stock in it? Have a bit to do thats clear of stock but a whole lot to do with sheep and lambs on it.

• Advertisement

No and I noticed a lot of pubs closed today on my travels.

I remember my Granny putting aside the eggs (both hen and duck eggs) that were laid on Good Friday and they were boiled for Easter Sunday breakfast. I used to have mine chopped up in a cup with lots of fresh butter and salt and cuts of fresh soda bread with sweet tea :)

Base price wrote: »
    I remember my Granny putting aside the eggs (both hen and duck eggs) that were laid on Good Friday and they were boiled for Easter Sunday breakfast. I used to have mine chopped up in a cup with lots of fresh butter and salt and cuts of fresh soda bread with sweet tea :)

I remember marking good Friday eggs with soot. We'd put a cross on them .
    I never heard about the shaving or getting a haircut though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

Well fcuk with all this talk of boiled eggs I’m off down to have a couple now.
    Cheat mode two into a cup microwave for 30/40 seconds depending and add sweet chili sauce. Devine

I says wrote: »
    Well fcuk with all this talk of boiled eggs I’m off down to have a couple now.
    Cheat mode two into a cup microwave for 30/40 seconds depending and add sweet chili sauce. Devine
    And here is me thinking that you'd throw a couple of sods of turf on the dying embers to get the fire going :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement