Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

148multi wrote: »
    One crew here put a pick ⛏ through the tank to empty it, my bil tank was thirsty so he put a camera up, this hand came from behind the tank and opened the tap, twas like the Adams family, f***ers.

A buddy of mines tank was emptied he got it refilled and waited up a few nights just in case the culprits came back which they did two of them.
    He met first lad with a haymaker other lad of top of tank was dragged down hit a few thumps they got such a fright they ****e themselves.
    They pair of them were brothers near neighbours of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,411 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I says wrote: »
    A buddy of mines tank was emptied he got it refilled and waited up a few nights just in case the culprits came back which they did two of them.
    He met first lad with a haymaker other lad of top of tank was dragged down hit a few thumps they got such a fright they ****e themselves.
    They pair of them were brothers near neighbours of his.

A few years ago a farmers tank was emptying very fast. He wasn't sure so added "something" to the next fill. Diesel continued to drop even tho he wasn't using it and a questionable neighbours tractor suddenly started to give engine trouble.

All rumour tho I'm sure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭148multi

KatyMac wrote: »
    Does anybody know anything about gas for central heating? Our house is heated by solid fuel, but I seem to be spending a fortune on coal and always running to co-op for bags and am thinking of changing. It occurred to me that gas couldn't be stolen but what are the downsides??

Would you consider air to water heat exchanger, think there is a grant for them since this summer, carbon tax going forward could be a huge issue but I'd imagine gas would be the cleanest. Environmentalists are lobbying for huge tax increases on all solid fuels, they don't even want firewood used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Reggie. wrote: »
    A few years ago a farmers tank was emptying very fast. He wasn't sure so added "something" to the next fill. Diesel continued to drop even tho he wasn't using it and a questionable neighbours tractor suddenly started to give engine trouble.

All rumour tho I'm sure ;)

supposed to have happened locally as well, but the jeep packed in as well as the tractor ,.. could never get a name though eventhough I know the area very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

_Brian wrote: »
    Few years ago local oil company had to let one of their new drivers go, they traced a pattern of full oil tank thefts back to his deliveries, he was tipping off his mates as to which tanks were full and suitable targets.

Something like that happened in this parish, long stretch back when there was no truck receipts. Driver was making deliveries and charging a bit extra at each stop. Then he would make a stop at a house he was renting out and fill his own tank free.

The trouble started with his tenant going into the office to pay for the latest delivery...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭davidk1394

How do you put the boards website back to the standard version on the phone. Changed it by accident

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

davidk1394 wrote: »
    How do you put the boards website back to the standard version on the phone. Changed it by accident

Bottom of this page and look at options full site or touch site

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Does anyone here know much about fingerbar mowers, specifically a stupidly uncommon Viking mower? Father & Uncle are going to do one up and there's a piece missing that tensions the blade to the drive shaft. Described as "like a long flat bit of metal, similar to a knife or ruler, that connected to a bolt at the blade & was leaned back to tighten the blade in place" :pac::confused:

Pittman Latch. God bless those vintage loving boyos!!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

wrangler wrote: »
    Have you an old house, I hear a lot of praise of external insulation in older houses

Yes, house is ANCIENT! When I put a date on it for insurance purposes I picked 1880. That made it awkward trying to find insurance company willing to take it on. Anyway, I have been looking at external insulation. This is my project for the coming year or more. Insulation needs to be reasonably good to make air pumps (if that is what they are called) viable but the 'gas' idea distracted me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

KatyMac wrote: »
    Yes, house is ANCIENT! When I put a date on it for insurance purposes I picked 1880. That made it awkward trying to find insurance company willing to take it on. Anyway, I have been looking at external insulation. This is my project for the coming year or more. Insulation needs to be reasonably good to make air pumps (if that is what they are called) viable but the 'gas' idea distracted me!

What do you mean by airpumps, sounds like something new

• Advertisement

What do you mean by airpumps, sounds like something new

Air to water geothermal system

Around about 10 years now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Have you an old house, I hear a lot of praise of external insulation in older houses

Problem with external insulation is that it adds 3-4''(100mm) on to the outside walls of the house. Some older houses have no facia and soffits. The roofs drain directly it gutters attached to walls. Adding external insulation can often take the complete look off an old house. Old stone sills will have to be removed and old lime plaster will be hidden. Windows will be recessed back further than normal

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Have googled this and can't find the link anywhere!! What is the opening date for spreading slurry in Jan? Kilkenny area? Thanks all:)

L1985 wrote: »
    Have googled this and can't find the link anywhere!! What is the opening date for spreading slurry in Jan? Kilkenny area? Thanks all:)

Midlands is Jan 15th. Would you be in that zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Doubt it-why can't I find it online???? Ridiculous TBH! Someone has told me the tenth but can't find anything to back it up! Thanks anyway reggie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Doubt it-why can't I find it online???? Ridiculous TBH! Someone has told me the tenth but can't find anything to back it up! Thanks anyway reggie :)

12th january
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/slurry-spreading-season-commence-soon/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Problem with external insulation is that it adds 3-4''(100mm) on to the outside walls of the house. Some older houses have no facia and soffits. The roofs drain directly it gutters attached to walls. Adding external insulation can often take the complete look off an old house. Old stone sills will have to be removed and old lime plaster will be hidden. Windows will be recessed back further than normal

Yea I realise that, but it really suits some old houses, Some concrete houses around here have got new life, but it doesn't suit our house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

True but you’ll reduce your heat costs by 1/2 & best to lose on outside rather than inside

Few things I’d advise if going this route
    Put in heat recovery or trickle vents & forward plan if anything will have to be attached to the walls

• Registered Users Posts: 29,409 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just back from school Christmas concert, it started at 7. Way too long for young kids to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,541 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    Just back from school Christmas concert, it started at 7. Way too long for young kids to be there.

Jez that’s late

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Jez that’s late

Younger classes were on last night. So just 3rd to 6th tonight.

whelan2 wrote: »

Had ours today at midday

Reggie. wrote: »
    Had ours today at midday

Ye but then people have to get off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Pittman Latch. God bless those vintage loving boyos!!! :D:D

I topped for hire when I was in school with a fingerbar mower. A long time ago.
    I know one was an International and the last one we had was a MF60, by far the best of the lot. Were Viking originally blue coloured?
    Some had a steel pitman some had a wooden one. I often broke it. You'd get a bit of hardwood and a local with a table saw or the like and he'd rip a new one copied off the broken one.

I topped for hire when I was in school with a fingerbar mower. A long time ago.
    I know one was an International and the last one we had was a MF60, by far the best of the lot. Were Viking originally blue coloured?
    Some had a steel pitman some had a wooden one. I often broke it. You'd get a bit of hardwood and a local with a table saw or the like and he'd rip a new one copied off the broken one.

Ha, I know more about them now than I ever thought I'd need to know!
    No the wood is fine, that's there. It's a metal piece that attached onto a bolt that clamped onto the ball of the fingerbar blade & was leaned back to tighten it.
    Similar to number 2 here, it's small but gives the general idea.

Would help to attach it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Ha, I know more about them now than I ever thought I'd need to know!
    No the wood is fine, that's there. It's a metal piece that attached onto a bolt that clamped onto the ball of the fingerbar blade & was leaned back to tighten it.
    Similar to number 2 here, it's small but gives the general idea.

I remember a few bits associated with the mechanism but I dunno where you'd get them now. Maybe try an pick another one to use ( fingerbar mower) as spares?
    You'll probably need them :-)

A friend in monaghan is nifty at making things, he's the one who found the name for it!! So is taking look round his workshop & might try converting an international one for me.
    It's only to keep Dad busy, have his Christmas present got!!
    (One of those whitenoise machines that plays nature, rain, waves, thunder etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

is the tank getting close to the top? I know I give to much time worrying about tanks, constantly checking um. and the last quarter of the tank seems to fill in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Is it expensive to do? Have an old single storey stone house here where I was born and reared in a sorry state at the moment after a fire a few years ago. I know it would be a better job to go completely out of the new but planning is a nightmare where I am and it might be easier and a bit cheaper to work with what I have and avoid all the hassle with planning. Had heard from a few the external insulation was a good job alright but had no idea of cost. Will be stripping it back to the 4 walls whenever the time comes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement