Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dublin or Tyrone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Got all of a field mowed today for first time in a dog's age. Part of this field would only be travelable in some years. Forestry said it was to wet to plant. It usually floods from a river and is just heavy rushes.
    Was half expecting to find Moses hiding in them.

It's a pity there's only 3 of them in the country!

There was an incident on the farm here lately.
    Just to say the eircode is a huge help for the ambo crews. It needs to be saved on everyone's mobile phone.
    Only problem with the eircode is the language barrier got caught out here in the spring with a vet not being able to understand my accent and wrote the eircode down wrong, went to a totally different area. Cow calving so was an emergency, lost cow and calf

Am in Ennis for the Fleadh Nua. Big difference between this and the Fleadh. One bar man said the take was about 15% of the last two years. But still better than nothing.

Small lady is enjoying herself and small lad is cocking the ear mad.
    The fleadh is in Drogheda this year in August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

whelan2 wrote: »
    Only problem with the eircode is the language barrier got caught out here in the spring with a vet not being able to understand my accent and wrote the eircode down wrong, went to a totally different area. Cow calving so was an emergency, lost cow and calf

It can happen the other way in good old fashioned names too.
    Another ambulance had to call to the area a few weeks previous. I don't think they gave the eircode? The patients name was given.
    Ambulance turned up five miles away to someone else with the same name.

The call center operator for the ambulance service was able to give a whole description of the farm on the phone to confirm when I gave the eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Years ago when a young fella a lad a year or 2 older than me had an accident off a bicycle into a car. Ambulance called for Broadford. Went to Broadford alright but the Limerick version not where he was about 40 miles away in Broadford Co Clare !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No more Roosevelt quotes then?

What about Shakespeare?

(Just lightening the tone Buford. Although it hardly warranted a mod intervention ).

"Hell is empty and all the devils are here"
    - Willie Shakespeare.

Shakespeare's reaction when he saw a field of limousines.

"Shyte happens and then some"

Not too sure if that was Shakespear or not

gozunda wrote: »
    "Shyte happens and then some"

Not too sure if that was Shakespear or not

Forrest Gump.

It's in the film when he steps into the dog poo. The journalist asks "Does it happen often?"
    Reply "It happens"
    Journalist takes it up as "Sh1t happens".

(Warning. This quote may have been around before the film Forrest Gump). :p

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Years ago when a young fella a lad a year or 2 older than me had an accident off a bicycle into a car. Ambulance called for Broadford. Went to Broadford alright but the Limerick version not where he was about 40 miles away in Broadford Co Clare !!

It's a bit different from years ago but if the ambulance is a bit late and you're concerned about the patient.
    If you ring back a secondtime the operator will be able to give you the location of the travelling ambulance by their GPS or tracker or whatever they have on the ambulance and then you'll know how far away they are.
    Just ask them and they should tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Best cow down with suspected E. coli mastitis. I don’t fancy her chances :(

EDIT: dead when the vet drove in. Feck it anyways

• Advertisement

Keep strigging her out to get the poison out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Lost a calf to that a few years ago. No warning

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

That’s a sickner , Its a horrible sickness, so acute.

Vet recons it was gangrenous mastitis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

There was an incident on the farm here lately. Just to say the eircode is a huge help for the ambo crews. It needs to be saved on everyone's mobile phone.

It might be better if instead of bordbia having signs up around our farms marked exit in cattle sheds. If we had a sign with the eircode on it at least then if anyone came across an accident it would be easy for everyone see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

whelan2 wrote:

Text it to them

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Text it to them

It was a land-line they were on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Reggie. wrote: »
    Lost a calf to that a few years ago. No warning

A calf isnt going to get mastitis. E-coli scour iirc only effects newborns too amd very young calves

A calf isnt going to get mastitis. E-coli scour iirc only effects newborns too amd very young calves

Heifer calves can get mastitis.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

At this time of national farming crisis, spare a thought for another hard hit sector.

The Lawn mower repairman.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

E coli I was on about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Grueller

greysides wrote: »
    At this time of national farming crisis, spare a thought for another hard hit sector.

The Lawn mower repairman.

Parents here took delivery of a lovely brand new husqvarna ride on mower on May 6th. Mowed the lawn twice in the next ten days and not at all since. Auld lad is giving out bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Tell him to save me a Twix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

If you have a thick bogger accent then maybe you should use the phonetic alphabet. eg beta for B,oscar for O’gama for G,gama for G,echo for E or romeo for R. I’d post a pic but I’m a thick bogger technophobe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I put a warning on the Sheep Forum about Lungworm in sheep and now I'm putting one here for calves and cows.

The weather circumstances are such that where it has the opportunity to strike it may do so from now on.

There's enough problems to face at the moment without having to deal with that too.

Farms that have had it before are more at risk.

It's a very nasty problem in milking herds so if you're are suspicious of coughing in dairy cows, act!

Information leaflet from AHI here.

Excerpt:
    What are the signs that hoose may be in your herd?

• Mildly affected animals will have an intermittent cough
    especially after exercise.

• Moderately affected animals will cough frequently at rest
    and have an increased respiratory rate.

• Severely affected animals will have difficulty breathing and
    may adopt a mouth-breathing stance with the head and
    neck out-stretched, mouth open and the tongue protruding.

• Lung damage can be severe and some of the pathology is
    irreversible, so deterioration of clinical cases and mortality
    can occur despite successful removal of the worms with an
    anthelmintic.

• Adult cows may also have a severe drop in milk yield. This
    can be observed before coughing is seen.

• Affected cattle have an increased susceptibility to other respiratory pathogens such as viruses and bacteria.
    Clinical disease usually results when dairy or beef cattle with poor immunity, typically first grazing season (FGS)
    calves, ingest larvae from pasture. Animals can acquire a dangerous level of infection even after only one day of
    grazing a contaminated pasture.

It is more common to see disease in the second half of the grazing season, commonly following high rainfall, when pastures
    have large numbers of larvae (those that have survived from previous grazing combined with those deposited by infected
    cattle). However, it is important to be always on the lookout for clinical signs of hoose, as disease may sometimes occur as
    early as May.
    Weaned autumn born calves are more vulnerable to hoose than spring born suckler calves when grazing contaminated
    pasture and should be observed very closely for any clinical signs.

Hoose in adult cattle
    Hoose can occur in adult cattle in two distinct ways, resulting in animals with broadly similar clinical signs.

Animals with little or no immunity - the disease will be similar to
    that in calves, where adult hoose worms occur in the airways and
    larvae can be found in faeces. This is known as Patent Infection. Lack
    of, or low levels of, immunity can result from inadequate exposure
    to infection on the pasture over the previous six months or more.
    There are several potential reasons for this, including housing of
    animals, grazing on newly sown pastures and intensive anthelmintic
    treatments.

Animals with some immunity to lungworm - if these are exposed
    to heavy larval challenge from pasture they may develop severe
    coughing or a drop in milk production resulting from destruction of
    migrating of migrating worms in the lungs by the immune response
    (Reinfection Syndrome).

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭The Rabbi

If a calf was hungry and sucked out a quarter with e coli could it poison him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

One for you, one for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Jesus, the flying ants have the place swarmed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

MeTheMan wrote: »

Same as here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Grueller

Same as here.

+1

• Advertisement

Here too!

Adam Grant

The Rabbi wrote: »
    If a calf was hungry and sucked out a quarter with e coli could it poison him?

I've heard farmers saying that but I'm not fully convinced. They are different strains of E. coli and, to my mind, not likely to cause both problems.
    I could see that a calf could be off-form after sucking the 'milk' but not poisoned. Just my opinion though.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

greysides wrote: »
    Here too!
    I was just about to post that!!! They are all over the car and on the road-never remember seeing as many!!

L1985 wrote: »
    I was just about to post that!!! They are all over the car and on the road-never remember seeing as many!!

Not just Ireland.

Dwr-y-Felin DofE (@DofEDYF) Tweeted:
    Flying ant Day. It was like a plague! @DofEWales https://t.co/HWz9X34H4I https://twitter.com/DofEDYF/status/1021140263958347776?s=17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

No flying ants in Longford and I got back home to NCD this evening and none to be seen. The windscreen was remarkably clean driving home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

A bumper summer for ants by all accounts. Got ran out of a local picnic site by them today. They are usefull though as they eliminate many other pest insects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Look up the new Sasha baron cohen vid, Who is America. Fooking crazy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

how goes harvest over yonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

https://youtu.be/QkXeMoBPSDk

F#ckin hell

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

MeTheMan wrote: »

Totally infested with them yesterday !!

• Advertisement

Went to tayto Park today. Hadn't been in years and it's only 30 minutes from home. It's actually a very good value day out

Saw it the other day. Pure nuts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Do many refer to the flying ants as pismires?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Burning Tires

Our Guy in Russia is on at 9 again tonight. I'd recommend it, a good watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Esel wrote: »
    Do many refer to the flying ants as pismires?

Ya we always called um pissamires. Disturbed a bunch of um on the quad the other day

We'd call them pismires. Although I'm sure they aren't pismires. That's why I called the flying ants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

ganmo wrote: »
    how goes harvest over yonder?

Could be better.

Jesus. They are crazy. Is it real people he is talking to or are they actors. It boggles the mind if they are genuine people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Went to tayto Park today. Hadn't been in years and it's only 30 minutes from home. It's actually a very good value day out

Was there earlier in the summer, great day out alright
    Wasn’t impressed with the new stalls where you pay, didn’t effect us but noticed a family where everyone wanted ago. Adds up
    The Armbands are great & food is nice

• Advertisement

Could be better.

How?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement