Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

_Brian wrote: »
    It reminds me of years ago when I used to help a local NCD dairy farmer during the calving season at weekends feeding & rearing calves.
    One Saturday morning a car was parked in a road field gate and the farmer couldn't get into the field with the silage feed trailer to feed heifers. He drove back to the yard and put the extended forks on the matbro, headed back up the road, lifted the car and deposited it in the furthest part of the field away from the road. The car was still there all day Sunday but was gone Monday morning.

Oh jeez don't ask me.
    It's just something I heard mentioned on the radio.

Myself and the father here were convinced he wouldn't be found guilty especially when they had no real hard evidence, no admission of guilt, and the jury were taking so long.
    Oh he did it alright but it was an unusual case that we were wondering why the guards even brought it to trial. But then there's been a result.
    The majority of the jury obviously didn't agree with you and your Dad.

In fairness they had access to evidence that we (the public) didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Base price wrote: »
    The majority of the jury obviously didn't agree with you and your Dad.

In fairness they had access to evidence that we (the public) didn't.

Ah it was fairly well publicized.

I mean they had a milk recorder technician give evidence that he was late for milking the next morning after the day when the deceased went missing. I know it's building a case but how many times have any of us been late for morning milking.

Then the guards using a white body model in the slurry tank to prove that the remains couldn't have been seen in the tank. It's a bit farcical.

There's also evidence that was withheld from the jury. Sex tapes with not much spoken in that the guards thought relevant but the judge thought no point in showing the jury.

It's been very well publicized now that it's over.

The jury decision was 10 to 2 over 6 days and then they were even allowed home such was their indecision and taking so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

What I don't get is......how can I put this delicately.....Mary Lowry - well, she's no oil painting.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

What I don't get is......how can I put this delicately.....Mary Lowry - well, she's no oil painting.
    You dont look at the mantle piece when poking the fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Neither of them were.

I see Ruby Walsh has retired. I wish him many days ahead, all starting with a full Irish and ending with a pint.

I see Ruby Walsh has retired. I wish him many days, all starting with a full Irish and ending with a pint.

I’d say he’s looking forward to a few decent meals at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

dzer2 wrote: »
    You dont look at the mantle piece when poking the fire
    Near spat out my tea :eek::D

• Advertisement

I thought that the Joe O'Reilly case was the first and then Graham Dwyer afterwards?
    Are they still appealling their cases? Joe o reillys kids live a few miles from her with his mother. They are the real losers in that case

whelan2 wrote: »
    Are they still appealling their cases? Joe o reillys kids live a few miles from her with his mother. They are the real losers in that case
    https://www.thejournal.ie/joe-oreilly-appeal-rachel-callely-parents-4517685-Feb2019/

Did any of ye see this. Unfortunately I can't as I'm busy with family stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Grueller

Watching the cutting edge here. Nora Casey has had a serious amount of work on her eyes and lips.

Grueller wrote: »
    Watching the cutting edge here. Nora Casey has had a serious amount of work on her eyes and lips.

I had to look!! :)

Honestly didn't recognise her as Nora Casey.
    The smile lines are all gone. The face doesn't move any more. :rolleyes:

:);) :rolleyes: :o :eek: No more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Some disaster of a morning here. Had a 14 month old heifer I bought off a cousin turned out to be in calf, couldn't give her back to him because he got caught with tb in the meantime. Went calving this morning and I wasn't expecting it for another week at least. Had the head out so had to try pulling, got locked on the hips. Calf dead. Called vet to come but managed to bring calf in the meantime and got the heifer standing for a minute after even though she was very wobbly. Vet came then and gave here a shot of cortasone and a bottle of calcium into the vein. Just coming to the end of the bottle of calcium and she dropped dead.

Was the calcium going in too fast? That can be dangerous afaik?

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    Magnessium would be a problem but calcium should normally be ok

Magnessium would be a problem but calcium should normally be ok

I think calcium can decrease the heart rate and cause death if too quickly in to the vein. Nearly happened here saw the eyes rolling in the head and vet slowed it down

I mean they had a milk recorder technician give evidence that he was late for milking the next morning after the day when the deceased went missing. I know it's building a case but how many times have any of us been late for morning milking.

Then the guards using a white body model in the slurry tank to prove that the remains couldn't have been seen in the tank. It's a bit farcical.

There's also evidence that was withheld from the jury. Sex tapes with not much spoken in that the guards thought relevant but the judge thought no point in showing the jury.

The jury decision was 10 to 2 over 6 days and then they were even allowed home such was their indecision and taking so long.
    Where was this information well publicised ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

It went in pretty quick alright. 2 minutes at the most of say.

It went in pretty quick alright. 2 minutes at the most of say.

Vet should have slowed it down in fairness

• Advertisement

Where was this information well publicised ??

I'm not posting anymore on this.
    RTE and various radio reports and do a Google search on this case for more that's being reported during and today on it.
    There's also a thread in After Hours now that it's concluded.
    It's the most talked about case since the trial began.

There's also another high profile case just started but that'll be discussed on here when it's concluded. Daily reports are being broadcast on the radio about that too.

Anyone see the programme on Fiona Sinnott. They more or less said the boyfriend did it. He beat her up just 2 weeks before she disappeared.(They read out the hospital report on the assault). Strange to see them being that so fortright in the programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Grueller wrote: »

Ah you still would though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Grueller

Muckit wrote: »
    Ah you still would though

Not with yours I'm afraid Muckit. She is the exact type I would have no interest in. Herself and Deirdre O'Kane I think are the 2 most false people in modern day Ireland and that is saying something.

I'm not posting anymore on this.
    RTE and various radio reports and do a Google search on this case for more that's being reported during and today on it.
    There's also a thread in After Hours now that it's concluded.
    It's the most talked about case since the trial began.

There's also another high profile case just started but that'll be discussed on here when it's concluded. Daily reports are being broadcast on the radio about that too.
    I have listened to the court reports from the RTE and Newstalk correspondents and there was no reference to milk recorder technicians, white body models?? etc :confused:

"Ah it was fairly well publicized.

I have listened to the court reports from the RTE and Newstalk correspondents and there was no reference to milk recorder technicians, white body models?? etc :confused:

"Ah it was fairly well publicized.

Ah look Bp there was. It was reported about the milk recorder or worker or ai technician or whoever the hell she was giving evidence about Quirke being late for milking.
    The white body thing a majig was on rte radio this evening around half four after the news broke about the case coming to a conclusion.

Google is your friend for anymore.

If you educated yourself you would know that jurors get to go home and sleep in their own leaba each and every night during a trial unless the Judge directs otherwise.

If you educated yourself you would know that jurors get to go home and sleep in their own leaba each and every night during a trial unless the Judge directs otherwise.

Ok!! You win.

Google is being too good a friend now.

Chill.

Vet should have slowed it down in fairness

She is a young vet on her first year out of college. To be honest I thought the heifer was shook up a bit but ok after the ordeal, was very surprised to see her die. Was thinking myself that the calcium had caused her to go into shock but didn't really know much about it. Never lost one like that after calving before.

Ok!! You win.

Google is being too good a friend now.

Chill.
    Jaysus, it has nothing to do with winning, loosing or scoring points and if you think that is the case then :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

She is a young vet on her first year out of college. To be honest I thought the heifer was shook up a bit but ok after the ordeal, was very surprised to see her die. Was thinking myself that the calcium had caused her to go into shock but didn't really know much about it. Never lost one like that after calving before.

The calcium would have been to treat the shock.

Neither magnesium or calcium should be administered with the bottle at the full height of the flutter valve tube unless the animal is deemed to be near the point of death and speed is crucial. The vet should have the stethoscope on the cows heart if the bottle is at full height.
    The medicine is going into a major vein, then into heart, then lungs, if too high a concentration of Mg of Ca returns to feed the heart muscle, it causes a heart attack.

Was the heifer showing any signs of milk fever? Shivering?

****ing neighbors have a new dog. Bark bark ....,,,,bark bark bark. Just when you think it’s going to stop. ****ers at it for hours now:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Odelay wrote: »
    I’d say he’s looking forward to a few decent meals at this stage!

And a few rides without having to worry about falling off :pac: :D

He fell off a fair amount alright. Second last or last were always difficult for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭The Rabbi

Getting caught might cost him more if he leaves it too late to jump off.

Anyone see the programme on Fiona Sinnott. They more or less said the boyfriend did it. He beat her up just 2 weeks before she disappeared.(They read out the hospital report on the assault). Strange to see them being that so fortright in the programme.
    I didn't see the programme but I clearly remember when Jojo Dollard disappeared. I used to pass the phone box in Moone on the way to and from pedigree cattle meetings in Carlow and it scared the daylights outta me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

When & where was this on? Please & thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I see the last page of The Phoenix is a full papge add for some vegan grouping

The calcium would have been to treat the shock.

Neither magnesium or calcium should be administered with the bottle at the full height of the flutter valve tube unless the animal is deemed to be near the point of death and speed is crucial. The vet should have the stethoscope on the cows heart if the bottle is at full height.
    The medicine is going into a major vein, then into heart, then lungs, if too high a concentration of Mg of Ca returns to feed the heart muscle, it causes a heart attack.

Was the heifer showing any signs of milk fever? Shivering?

Ya she was shivering a bit alright, I thought she'd be ok though. Have had ones a lot worse that were fine and up after a day or two with only myself giving them a bottle under the skin and an anti inflammatory shot. She didnt use a stethoscope. Doesn't really matter now anyway. We've different vets here every year, they take on a few fresh out of college for a season and we supply the guinea pigs for an extorniate fee. Sometimes they get a very good one but they never stay more than a year. Only one senior vet who rarely does call outs.

• Advertisement

I would mention it to the practice. No point paying full whack. I know everyone one has to learn somewhere but why should we pay for their mistakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I would mention it to the practice. No point paying full whack. I know everyone one has to learn somewhere but why should we pay for their mistakes

Would you not need a PM to look for Compo, otherwise you're only guessing what killed her

wrangler wrote: »
    Would you not need a PM to look for Compo, otherwise you're only guessing what killed her

Young vet here put calfs hoof through the cows womb. Massive tear. I rang practice and wasn't charged for it. I wouldn't be looking for compo just not paying the fee. Cow had to be put down so I had to pay knacker too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Young vet here put calfs hoof through the cows womb. Massive tear. I rang practice and wasn't charged for it. I wouldn't be looking for compo just not paying the fee. Cow had to be put down so I had to pay knacker too.

That was straightforward but the cow with the hard calving could've been anything
    Bad heart etc

wrangler wrote: »
    That was straightforward but the cow with the hard calving could've been anything
    Bad heart etc

At the end of the day you are paying professional fees for a rookie

Ya she was shivering a bit alright, I thought she'd be ok though. Have had ones a lot worse that were fine and up after a day or two with only myself giving them a bottle under the skin and an anti inflammatory shot. She didnt use a stethoscope. Doesn't really matter now anyway. We've different vets here every year, they take on a few fresh out of college for a season and we supply the guinea pigs for an extorniate fee. Sometimes they get a very good one but they never stay more than a year. Only one senior vet who rarely does call outs.

Same here with local practice. Different vet every time. Some very young, some foreign with poorish english but top notch vets all the same. Couldn't fault them.

• Advertisement

Tbh if it's a heifer I wouldn't have thought the calcium in to the vein would be required. Generally an anti-inflammatory and some oxytocin after a hard calving possibly anti biotics if vet sees fit. Unless there was e coli mastitis or something calcium shouldn't be an issue of have thought. Vets must learn in the field also and nobody is infallible so I wouldn't go falling out with the practice but maybe a chat with the older vet may be no harm. It may not have been the cause of death but if it was she won't learn if she doesn't know about it

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

She should have known, it is one of the basics of intravenous injection, even with a syringe, put in some, draw back blood, in some more, draw back again, they are not rinsing the syringe, they are trying to avoid putting in too much chemical in too small a section of the blood.

She knows now and hopefully will learn.

There is a growing shortage of vets willing to work with large animals, we need to encourage those willing to at least try.

Would you blame vets for not wanting to work with large farm animals. A lot easier and more money working with little fifi and fufu who need a worm dose.
    Compare that with say 100 bulls to be TB tested.

Tbh if it's a heifer I wouldn't have thought the calcium in to the vein would be required. Generally an anti-inflammatory and some oxytocin after a hard calving possibly anti biotics if vet sees fit. Unless there was e coli mastitis or something calcium shouldn't be an issue of have thought. Vets must learn in the field also and nobody is infallible so I wouldn't go falling out with the practice but maybe a chat with the older vet may be no harm. It may not have been the cause of death but if it was she won't learn if she doesn't know about it

I'm not going to say anything and don't want to fall out with them. For all I know she could have dropped dead without the vet ever being there even though I don't think she would have. It would be nice if they at least had a few experienced vets in the practice though. Everyone has to learn but they are thrown in the deep end. They put a few really good ones through the practice over the last few years along with a few that were not so good. Just don't want to pay for an experienced one...

Would you blame vets for not wanting to work with large farm animals. A lot easier and more money working with little fifi and fufu who need a worm dose.
    Compare that with say 100 bulls to be TB tested.

My crowd charged a neighbour €40 to put down a lamb a few weeks ago and he brought it to the practice. They're not afraid to charge anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement