Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

My crowd charged a neighbour €40 to put down a lamb a few weeks ago and he brought it to the practice. They're not afraid to charge anyway.

I'm just after giving my doctor €60 for 15mins so I suppose vets are no different.
    They can't be well enough paid for callouts so they have to get it somewhere, we forget that we're paying for their office staff, jeeps, and equipment as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

wrangler wrote: »
    I'm just after giving my doctor €60 for 15mins so I suppose vets are no different.
    They can't be well enough paid for callouts so they have to get it somewhere, we forget that we're paying for their office staff, jeeps, and equipment as well

And he didn't even put you down :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Hard kill a bad thing!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/agri-business/agri-food/ucd-professor-reports-students-mortified-by-farm-visits-38066599.html

This is mad^^

Students on a farm visit looking to report a farmer for using a calving machine on a cow!!
    I presume these kids also presume meat comes pre packed in plastic and milk magically appears in cartons in the fridge.
    I'd be of the opinion that every child should visit a working farm to appreciate the work that goes into supplying their food.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Wait till they visit the abattoirs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

wrangler wrote: »

Money spent on your health is always well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Lord jaysus weather live is painful and I have enough of Catherine Thomas too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Frustrating trying to get a window to spray docks before it gets too late.

Cold nights forecast over weekend, down to 0, will this slow growth enough to make spraying a waste ??

Next week is showing rain each day :(

_Brian wrote: »
    Frustrating trying to get a window to spray docks before it gets too late.

Cold nights forecast over weekend, down to 0, will this slow growth enough to make spraying a waste ??

Next week is showing rain each day :(

Dont panic. Read the label on your product and see how many hours dry u need after application. You could still spray away even on a day u got rain.

Are u doing yourself or getting in a contractor? Organising a contractor can be trickier than the weather!!

Note for again, April is the month for spraying weeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Same here want to spray a few knapsack around the yard. Land is wet now too, so that has to be taken into consideration when spraying fields

Muckit wrote: »
    Dont panic. Read the label on your product and see how many hours dry u need after application. You could still spray away even on a day u got rain.

Are u doing yourself or getting in a contractor? Organising a contractor can be trickier than the weather!!

Note for again, April is the month for spraying weeds.

I was grazing the ground in April when I got the chance.

It will be an evening job after work ourselves or weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I think the attendance to the Positive Farmers conference might take a dip this year;

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/how-killer-aimed-to-be-investment-guru-for-other-farmers-38074616.html

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Perhaps the phrase "sweating your assets" should now be never uttered again and die with this court case.

I have this new fancy eco lawnmower.

Not sure how to start it though?
    The instruction manual is all in Chinese...

20190503-115526.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

20190503-115526.jpg

The start button is at the end of your right food.:rolleyes:

Hop on, grab hold of mane and dig in your heels!!

Shouting "Yeeeeee hawwwwww!" is optional!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

20190503-115526.jpg

Should have got one with a bag, I find raking up after them ones nearly as bad as mowing it my self.

• Advertisement

emaherx wrote: »
    Should have got one with a bag, I find raking up after them ones nearly as bad as mowing it my self.

Throw it on the roses sure! :D

Ah he'll only be there for a few days. A poor oul laminitic pony. :rolleyes:

It would make you wonder though about all these fossil fuels burnt and machines being made to have the perfect vista?
    A few pygmy goats might be the solution and family friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Product Recall - The Vegetarian Butcher - Little Willies 160g
    30/04/2019

The Vegetarian Butcher - Little Willies 160 g[/B]

Brand: The Vegetarian Butcher

Use by affected: All date codes

The Vegetarian Butcher have recalled the above product as some packs may contain small pieces of white plastic.

Do not consume
    Package up item
    Return the product to your local Waitrose & Partners branch for a full refund

Freephone: 0800188884

We apologise that it has been necessary to recall this product and for the inconvenience caused.

30/04/2019

The Vegetarian Butcher have recalled the above product as some packs may contain small pieces of white plastic.

Do not consume
    Package up item

We apologise that it has been necessary to recall this product and for the inconvenience caused.

Plastic was probably the best part of that “burger”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

30/04/2019

Do not consume
    Package up item

“Little Willies”......another attack on men!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The pic below is from a paddock that got a bit strong last year when I was doing a silage cut and we took out the inside section letting 20 foot around the outside for dry cattle to keep them on good grass and not be grazing too heavy covers.
    CVQwFhg.jpg
    Cutting and fertilizing afterwards is very good for controlling rushes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

OH working this evening and a heifer decided to start calving. Lucky the brother was around to take in the two lads. Serious pull, heifer, her calf and myself wrecked. Both needed About an hour to get up. Lucky to get calf to suck so hopefully all will be ok.

• Advertisement

The calf was sucking herself this morning. I fired them out into a paddock. Warmer outside than in the shed.

Anyone know why a herd number would have an 'X' at the end? Something I came across recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Anyone know why a herd number would have an 'X' at the end? Something I came across recently.

Could it be a herd no belonging to a dealer or feedlot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I'm not sure but I think it has to do with herd numbers that are more recent and they added the letter x at the end when they ran out of numbers for each county, iykwim.

It denotes an eXceptional farmer.
    So I'm told.

• Advertisement

Do ye sign your blue cards?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Do ye sign your blue cards?

Yep.

It's still mandatory. Isn't it?

Yep.

It's still mandatory. Isn't it?

That's what I was wondering. Inspection on Tuesday

whelan2 wrote: »
    That's what I was wondering. Inspection on Tuesday

Sign em anyway. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

AFAIK, the last number is a check digit and it allows for an extra "number" to be available. 0 to 9 and then the Roman ten, the X.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

I just did. Also counted the cards had 1 extra.... Took me all day to sort it out.... Think I'll have a glass of wine now. Happy now have correct amount of cattle and cards to match agfood....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

greysides wrote: »
    AFAIK, the last number is a check digit and it allows for an extra "number" to be available. 0 to 9 and then the Roman ten, the X.

Is it common, do you know?
    My one has it anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Is it common, do you know?
    My one has it anyway.

About 1 in 11 should have it.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

I think there's a dawn chorus being broadcast in ten minutes time from midnight till our own dawn time.
    The dawn chorus is the morning birdsong that the male chaps stake out their territory with and out compete any rivals to impress the females.
    It's being broadcast on RTE radio 1 I believe and BBC radio have it too. Starting with birds in India at midnight and working their way westwards through the various countries till the sun rises on our own emerald isle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I think there's a dawn chorus being broadcast in ten minutes time from midnight till our own dawn time.
    The dawn chorus is the morning birdsong that the male chaps stake out their territory with and out compete any rivals to impress the females.
    It's being broadcast on RTE radio 1 I believe and BBC radio have it too. Starting with birds in India at midnight and working their way westwards through the various countries till the sun rises on our own emerald isle.
    I always try to stay awake to listen to Mooney Goes Wild on RTE radio 1 for a while after I head to bed. I set the alarm for 5.30am and lie in bed listening to the dawn chorus for a while.
    Then I turn over and go back to sleep :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Dealer that takes calves would never ask for cards to be signed. But if I was going to the factory I'd sign cards cause there's a dept vet there who might take a notion!

Do people still send cards away with vet after testing.? My vet doesn't bring me any them anymore.

visatorro wrote: »
    Dealer that takes calves would never ask for cards to be signed. But if I was going to the factory I'd sign cards cause there's a dept vet there who might take a notion!

Do people still send cards away with vet after testing.? My vet doesn't bring me any them anymore.

Was talking to vet about this after the test. He said while it’s not necessary allot of lads still like to see the stamp so he took them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Was talking to vet about this after the test. He said while it’s not necessary allot of lads still like to see the stamp so he took them.

Old habits I suppose

It's a handy way too to find out if you're missing any cards. Or if you have a card belonging to a dead animal

We sign cards. Vet takes away and stamps. I also
    find it handy to see whats not tested- what calves after the test date.

I think the attendance to the Positive Farmers conference might take a dip this year;

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/how-killer-aimed-to-be-investment-guru-for-other-farmers-38074616.html

All starting to make sense now. The country lost the run of itself back then. Every gob****e became a financial expert.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/the-debt-that-led-to-death-quirkes-1m-losses-in-a-tale-more-of-money-than-love-38080240.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

All starting to make sense now. The country lost the run of itself back then. Every gob****e became a financial expert.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/the-debt-that-led-to-death-quirkes-1m-losses-in-a-tale-more-of-money-than-love-38080240.html

When Pepper Finance "have an interest" in your farm, you're fů**ed.

The trial was discussed on the Marion Finucan show there now and one of the speakers claimed the Ryan family have a case for compensation on their fathers death. It doesn't usually happen in murder cases because the offender is usually broke but because Quirke is a man of means the option is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

While trying to deflect the attention onto innocents he “Hoisted his own Petard”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Was it the evidence that the run off tank had be opened at least 11 days before a big contributory factor to Quirkes downfall

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement