Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

One for the soccer supporters here!

Only about 30k tickets allocated to each club the majority are given to corporate people and the likes.

500-1000 litres of methane and co2 produced a day per cow
    By right, the jersey type cow is the way forward, cows are made to eat grass, not to eat concentrates . Chickens and pigs are though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

KatyMac wrote: »
    Have a bull weanling that was small and bunty so I left him entire to see if he would grow a bit. Found him this morning working hard at the rear end of my ancient (very ancient, 31+ years!) mare. She had a long suffering look about her. Chased him away to feed her and back he arrived to continue his hopeless task! Phoned the vet to make appointment to separate him from his tackle! Serves me right for feeling sorry for him. He's in field with several in-calf cows so obviously the horse was the best bet in his befuddled brain.
    Thanks. Best laugh I've had in ages :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Being watching a heifer for a young relative for over 2 weeks now,as she's bagged up that long. She' a BB he bought and in-calf to a Lim stock bull. Worried as I think it may be a section. Coughing like mad here with a touch of the flu. Not looking forward to that call in the middle of the night.

Same here, watching a 2½ year old heifer. She was a replacement calf, purchased from a dealer. to replace a calf who died 10 days old. She is a HE/AA/FR mix, with no known SIRE. She is in calf to an easy calving Simmental. Though she is well behaved, I can’t lay a hand on her to feel the pins.

My jungle juice for colds.
    Add the juice of 1 whole lemon to honey that has been dissolved in hot water, with a clove or two. Add enough honey until sweetened enough to consume. Then take dissolved Disprin, with Vitamin C and a Zinc tablet. Gargle the throat with either Listerene or Oraldene. Works every time for me, I always have these items on standby. Act fast before it gets a grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Should I tell him they're not his calves :pac::P
    Two youngest in that field think he's great, always beside him.

g5TeojEl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭148multi

Should I tell him they're not his calves :pac::P
    Two youngest in that field think he's great, always beside him.

g5TeojEl.jpg

He's taking to the role with style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

whelan2 wrote: »
    Chocolate pizza

You'd want a good toilet brush handy after dogging into that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Muckit wrote: »
    You'd want a good toilet brush handy after dogging into that! :D

Young lad had it as a birthday cake

Finished powerhosing, for now anyway.
    urPKgr6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Would any of ye know what good quality bales of silage are making around Tipp/Waterford/ Kilkenny area are making ? Going to have a surplus of silage this year (unless it goes like last summer). New grass that went in last year, a mix of Italian rye grass and red clover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

Finished powerhosing, for now anyway.
    urPKgr6.jpg

Ye missed a spot

emaherx wrote: »
    Ye missed a spot

SSSHHHHHH......ffs, the dept will hear ya:P

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Would any of ye know what good quality bales of silage are making around Tipp/Waterford/ Kilkenny area are making ? Going to have a surplus of silage this year (unless it goes like last summer). New grass that went in last year, a mix of Italian rye grass and red clover.

Now that's powerful stuff, but how would you price it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Has anyone had a calf suffer laryngitis?
    How did the fair out?

Has anyone had a calf suffer laryngitis?
    How did the fair out?

Had it in a blue year's ago, he got the chronic form of it, there was a calf slaughter scheme at the time. Think he was treated 4 times before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Does anyone know if or where those wide nozzle clik spray on applicators can be got. You know the ones that have a kind of a T attachment and put out about 8 jets of it. I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Anyone do the darkness in to light walk yesterday? Serms to have Bern a great turn out locally. Great cause

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Does anyone know if or where those wide nozzle clik spray on applicators can be got. You know the ones that have a kind of a T attachment and put out about 8 jets of it. I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Check dysect applicator on line, see if it will suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Anyone do the darkness in to light walk yesterday? Serms to have Bern a great turn out locally. Great cause

Herself and eldest did it. Big turnout. Nice morning for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

How long do bull weanlings be sore after squeezing? Had 4 done yesterday and one is awful sore - very reluctant to move etc, he is much sorer than the other 3 who were younger. Would I want to be thinking of vet and pain killers?

How long do bull weanlings be sore after squeezing? Had 4 done yesterday and one is awful sore - very reluctant to move etc, he is much sorer than the other 3 who were younger. Would I want to be thinking of vet and pain killers?

Will be sore for a few days. Banded mine this year. Great job.

Will be sore for a few days. Banded mine this year. Great job.

We squeezed a few, some were sore for 4-5 days, some grand the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Give him something for the pain, it must be horrendous.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

He'll be sore for a few days yet I'm afraid, it should improve in a few days but make sure he's eating, drinking and passing water without issue. The older​ and stronger they are the more it tends to affect them imo, he'll probably swell but unless he seems sick or off form I wouldn't worry. Having said that a shot of a suitable painkiller or anti inflammatory wouldn't do any harm if available.

I don't know of anyone banding strong cattle locally and the vast majority of bullocks I encounter would have been squeezed. Our previous vet used to cut strong bulls but I haven't seen it done in a good few years, his son now runs the practice and would always recommend the burdizzo over cutting. I often thought that ringing as calves the same as lambs at a few days old would be the easiest on man and beast but I've no practical experience of this method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

KatyMac wrote:
    How long do bull weanlings be sore after squeezing? Had 4 done yesterday and one is awful sore
    You squeezed them on a waxing moon they are more inclined to swell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If you notice any spread of the swelling along the belly get vet for antibiotics straight away. Easy enough to lose one. Agree with Whelan, banding is safer at that age, both for the animal and the operator.
    Had new vet last year looking at 5 to do. I wanted banding, but he wanted to squeeze a couple, left him at it. He was sent flying by the first one, we banded the other 4 without a bother from the animals or the vet.

Water John wrote: »
    If you notice any spread of the swelling along the belly get vet for antibiotics straight away. Easy enough to lose one. Agree with Whelan, banding is safer at that age, both for the animal and the operator.
    Had new vet last year looking at 5 to do. I wanted banding, but he wanted to squeeze a couple, left him at it. He was sent flying by the first one, we banded the other 4 without a bother from the animals or the vet.

As above I have little experience of banding so I can't comment on which method is best. However if the person squeezing gets kicked it's usually due to the person holding the tail doing a poor job. The tail needs to be put straight up and pushed forward to prevent kicking, an anti backing bar is also a big bonus. Squeezing is a dangerous job and needs to be done right or not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

As above I have little experience of banding so I can't comment on which method is best. However if the person squeezing gets kicked it's usually due to the person holding the tail doing a poor job. The tail needs to be put straight up and pushed forward to prevent kicking, an anti backing bar is also a big bonus. Squeezing is a dangerous job and needs to be done right or not at all.

I bought a bander about 4 years ago. I'd band about 20 strong cattle every year. The burdizzo is rusting in the corner, never to be used again. Banding is cheap and easy on man and beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭tanko

I bought a bander about 4 years ago. I'd band about 20 strong cattle every year. The burdizzo is rusting in the corner, never to be used again. Banding is cheap and easy on man and beast.

When you say "strong cattle", what age are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

tanko wrote: »
    When you say "strong cattle", what age are they?

Up to 14 months. Strong bastards :)

First BBQ of the year done. Drop of golden ale to wash it down, happy days.

Up to 14 months. Strong bastards :)

Vet did ours, he gave them anaesthetic before hand. They were about a year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

_Brian wrote: »

Looks delicious! Can't beat cooking on charcoal for the taste, although can be slow. Is that BBQ good enough to cook from scratch on it or do you just finish them on it? Yesterday was the first day with a bit of kindness in it, first day of Summer IMO.
    Is the composite decking? How do u find it? An outdoor BBQ area in the pipeline here. Looking at all options.

Muckit wrote: »
    Looks delicious! Can't beat cooking on charcoal for the taste, although can be slow. Is that BBQ good enough to cook from scratch on it or do you just finish them on it? Yesterday was the first day with a bit of kindness in it, first day of Summer IMO.
    Is the composite decking? How do u find it? An outdoor BBQ area in the pipeline here. Looking at all options.

Yea it’s perfect to cook from scratch.
    I added an inner ring that holds charcoal in the centre. That gives me a hot direct cooking area and then along the outside for indirect cooking. Few minutes in the centre and then move everything out to continue cooking thirough.
    Got the bbq in woodies last year.

The composite decking is in 8 years, it’s been a gift really, it opens straight out level off our living room, it has a polycarbonate roof. Decking is never slippery at all and once Powerwasher looks like new. I’ll stick up a few photos. It cost €6k 8 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Careful with that kinda stuff or Gretta will appear and give out to ya ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Word hear of a local giant among men tragically deceased. Shocked wouldnt even begin to describe it.
    What is wrong with society nowadays or was it always like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Word hear of a local giant among men tragically deceased. Shocked wouldnt even begin to describe it.

Willfarman wrote: »

Sadly I think it’s always been the case just more reported with better communication via social media.

I can think of plenty of cases going right back to my childhood. Few young lads my own age I went to school with included

I know one instance where the guard and doctor helped a poor fella down from where he’d finished himself and it was officially recorded as a heart attack, no PM or anything.

There were reports on Facebook of 5 suicides among the farming community in North Cork over the weekend. People said that wasn't true. Sad to be reporting stuff like that on the weekend of darkness into light...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Often not acknowledged in the past, mainly so the the deceased would be buried in consecrated ground.

Being watching a heifer for a young relative for over 2 weeks now,as she's bagged up that long. She' a BB he bought and in-calf

"Same here, watching a 2½ year old heifer. She was a replacement calf, purchased from a dealer. to replace a calf who died 10 days old. She is a HE/AA/FR mix, with no known SIRE."

Bingo. Arrived this morning unseen between 3.30 and 6 am -
    Her offspring not as valuable as above - nevertheless - she fulfilled a purpose and kept the bull company when he was separated from the herd last July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Being watching a heifer for a young relative for over 2 weeks now,as she's bagged up that long. She' a BB he bought and in-calf to a Lim stock bull. Worried as I think it may be a section. Coughing like mad here with a touch of the flu. Not looking forward to that call in the middle of the night.

Yep, caesarian section yesterday. Huge blue bull. No much for being in-calf to a limousin stock bull.:mad: My relative is just starting out and not wise to all the scumbags out there that have no morales whatsoever.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

My relative is just starting out and not wise to all the scumbags out there that have no morales whatsoever.

One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.

Well at least cow and calf got there, and are both alive, which is good result.

Yep, caesarian section yesterday. Huge blue bull. No much for being in-calf to a limousin stock bull.:mad: My relative is just starting out and not wise to all the scumbags out there that have no morales whatsoever.

Considering the cow is a BB the calf hardly took after the cow's genetics? LM on a BB cow can produce serious stock in my experience, however I'd be slow enough to use such a bull on a BB heifer for this reason. At least she was being watched and the appropriate action was taken when needed. It's all a learning experience imo no matter how long your at the game, if there both alive I'd consider it a reasonable outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Anyone roughly know what sites with planning permission worth roughly?

marathon wrote: »

Too many variables to give any reliable answer.

Ballyjamesduff or Ballsbridge, answer would vary a bit.

Too many variables to give any reliable answer.

Ballyjamesduff or Ballsbridge, answer would vary a bit.

Southeast

Southeast

Tourist area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Grueller

Around Gorey district €80- €150k

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement