Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Grueller wrote: »
    Around Gorey district €80- €150k
    Jesus didn’t think be that valuable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Grueller

marathon wrote: »
    Jesus didn’t think be that valuable

Ya thats the run about here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

First Communion here on Saturday. Hope the weather holds up some bit anyway. Won't affect us too much as we're not doing the usual bouncy castle thing. Also hope that the couple of cows I have left to calve either go before then or wait until next week!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Grueller wrote: »
    Ya thats the run about here now.

Roughly what’s percentage tax to be paid on sale of site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Parishlad wrote: »
    First Communion here on Saturday. Hope the weather holds up some bit anyway. Won't affect us too much as we're not doing the usual bouncy castle thing. Also hope that the couple of cows I have left to calve either go before then or wait until next week!:D

Lad here today doing cows feet, he has confirmation tomorrow and communion in 2 weeks....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

whelan2 wrote: »
    Lad here today doing cows feet, he has confirmation tomorrow and communion in 2 weeks....

Busy couple of weeks so for him. And expensive I guess....hope you have a load of cows for him to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Must be the youngest hoof trimmer in Ireland. How does he manage both communion and confirmation in the one year? Two birth certs? :cool:

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Parishlad wrote: »
    Busy couple of weeks so for him. And expensive I guess....hope you have a load of cows for him to do!

Didn't pay him he took the last of my calves instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

_Brian wrote: »
    I know one instance where the guard and doctor helped a poor fella down from where he’d finished himself and it was officially recorded as a heart attack, no PM or anything.

I know of one lady that took her own life, the family were very open about what had happened, you could see a lot of older folk taken aback by this. I remember a time when it was considered nothing but a selfish thing to do and not worthy of sympathy.
    Sad to be reporting stuff like that on the weekend of darkness into light...

That darkness in to light seemed a great idea but I see it now as an opportunity for hawking praise on social media for themselves now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

There's a chap that rents out bulls around Mayo, Crossmolina area maybe? Think his first name is Ray, has anyone any idea of a number for him? Or actually anyone in that area who does it.

Ok my geography was off, Ray in Ardrahan in Galway!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭148multi

There's a chap that rents out bulls around Mayo, Crossmolina area maybe? Think his first name is Ray, has anyone any idea of a number for him? Or actually anyone in that area who does it.

Ok my geography was off, Ray in Ardrahan in Galway!!

What about your neighbour, he may throw in some product for free ðŸ˜

148multi wrote: »
    What about your neighbour, he may throw in some product for free ðŸ˜

Oh it's not for me:D Fella rang me about a bull for sale but mine won't suit as he's not got his genotype results back. So remembered that chap who'd be near enough to this guy but don't have a phone for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I was at a wedding in Perthshire in Scotland at the weekend, lots of lovely beef herds and sheep farms.
    Not many dairy farms,
    We stayed in Creiff Hydro hotel, a bit expensive but a great experience, relatives had it block booked so had to fall in.
    OH and I used to do a 4 -5km walk in the mornings and still be in the grounds of the hotel.
    Groom is a Navy Doctor and children weren't invited so it was all good

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

wrangler wrote: »
    I was at a wedding in Perthshire in Scotland at the weekend, lots of lovely beef herds and sheep farms.
    Not many dairy farms,
    We stayed in Creiff Hydro hotel, a bit expensive but a great experience, relatives had it block booked so had to fall in.
    OH and I used to do a 4 -5km walk in the mornings and still be in the grounds of the hotel.
    Groom is a Navy Doctor and children weren't invited so it was all good

Lovely part of the world. On up the east coast and the Angus glens are lovely walks. Some great farms and land over there.

Apparently a farmer in mullingar was beaten up trying to stop thieves from taking his tractor.
    Haven't heard any more than that, so don't know how he is, I' know him well so hope he's alright.
    Reggie might know more info

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Lovely part of the world. On up the east coast and the Angus glens are lovely walks. Some great farms and land over there.

I reckon it's a month later growth up there. grass hadn't really got going up there yet
    But yea, lovely scenery

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

I reckon it's a month later growth up there. grass hadn't really got going up there yet

Sure its a month later up here in parts of Donegal!!

They have the scale there. Some serious stock. Well blackface sheep anyhow that i am into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Apparently a farmer in mullingar was beaten up trying to stop thieves from taking his tractor.
    Haven't heard any more than that, so don't know how he is, I' know him well so hope he's alright.
    That is terrible. Godspeed he is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

That picture looks a bit dodgy tbh.

Either we have a serial attack ram or this lad been on the rampage before ...

https://www.thatsfarming.com/news/elderly-man-killed-by-ram

Edit: nope I'm wrong. It's one of these lads!

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/aknatureandscience/wildlifedallsheep.htm

He's still getting about a bit tbh ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

First I heard but will research in the morning

Three sets of twins in 8 calvings here, blue bull & heifer just landed!
    Better watch meself :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If a Department inspection dosen't frighten you into being careful, not much else will ........ :D

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If a Department inspection dosen't frighten you into being careful, not much else will ........ :D

I've nothing to hide about them. Just find it so strange to have so many all at once. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I wonder did someone sneak some pmsg into the water

According to ICBF the twinning rate is 1.7%, so the chances of having 3 sets in 8 calvings is very very low. Any mathematicians here?
    I think it is 1 in 4,000 chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭148multi

According to ICBF the twinning rate is 1.7%, so the chances of having 3 sets in 8 calvings is very very low. Any mathematicians here?

37.5% twining rate, a bit above average.

We had 4 sets of twins out of 25 heifers this year. None scanned as having twins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Must of been something to do with the weather that so many twins had 14 sets in one 100 cow group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Interesting read

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057980630/1

You should do one reg

Suckler wrote: »
    I know of one lady that took her own life, the family were very open about what had happened, you could see a lot of older folk taken aback by this. I remember a time when it was considered nothing but a selfish thing to do and not worthy of sympathy.

That darkness in to light seemed a great idea but I see it now as an opportunity for hawking praise on social media for themselves now.

Going through a bad phase with a family member atm. They rang the samaritans. On the phone for an hour. These people deserve a medal Tbh. They couldn't help enough. It's good to talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Is it worth testing the heifer to see if freemartin?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Sheepman2

What would be the best fertiliser to go for on grazing ground to get a longer time grazing it? Ground would be heavy/peaty enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

naughto wrote: »
    Interesting read

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057980630/1

You should do one reg

I'd get myself banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Sure someone didn't do a reverse break in - and left you some additional calves? :pac:

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Sure someone didn't do a reverse break in - and left you some additional calves? :pac:

Ye some jex

Wouldn't mind a JE heifer, the cost of feeding her would probably be less than what i spend on raw milk :pac:

Bizarre that they've all happened this year, though as mentioned earlier in the thread, perhaps the heatwave had something to do with it.
    Only breeding in common between them is the bull Navarin. One is a daughter of him, two are grand-daughters.

Wouldn't mind a JE heifer, the cost of feeding her would probably be less than what i spend on raw milk :pac:

Bizarre that they've all happened this year, though as mentioned earlier in the thread, perhaps the heatwave had something to do with it.
    Only breeding in common between them is the bull Navarin. One is a daughter of him, two are grand-daughters.

No maternal connection?

ganmo wrote: »
    No maternal connection?

Not a bit. All different family lines. First set goes back to a bought in suck, other comes from the pedigree line & todays goes back to when we milked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Ai man being generous then so.

Less of the buns and flasks of tae.

In the horse world they always inseminate the two eggs but squeeze the weaker one come 16 days.

• Advertisement

Ai man being generous then so.

Less of the buns and flasks of tae.

In the horse world they always inseminate the two eggs but squeeze the weaker one come 16 days.

The A.I. man is a twin himself :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

It's probably a stupid question but I'll ask anyway 😂. Other years we spread alot of 18:6:12, spreading a good bit of slurry now so I said that I'd give CAN a go for a few years as I have good index's and the slurry should hold them anyway. So after the added %30 what is the other %60 of the fert made up of ??? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

A neighbour of mine keeps a small few suckler cows, he never had twins in near 50 years that he can remember.
    The first two cows that calved this year had twins for him. Must be that sort of year.
    Be interesting to see do the national stats back it up.

Is it worth testing the heifer to see if freemartin?

Missed this post yesterday!
    One afterbirth so highly doubt she's ok for breeding. Lovely colouring, pure white with black ears & nose.

It's probably a stupid question but I'll ask anyway ��. Other years we spread alot of 18:6:12, spreading a good bit of slurry now so I said that I'd give CAN a go for a few years as I have good index's and the slurry should hold them anyway. So after the added %30 what is the other %60 of the fert made up of ??? Thanks

CAN is Calcium Ammonium Nitrate (CAN). It is 27% Nitrogen.
    It has the chemical formula NH4NO3.

So there is Hydrogen and Oxygen in there.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_nitrate

By the way, if you stop spreading P and K, it won't be in the slurry either. Talking to a guy that was very surprised that his P and K levels were so low on ground that got a lot of slurry. Might be no harm spread 18.6.12 every so often to keep them up. Soil testing will tell you where you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭roosterman71

At the end of March I spread ~3k gallons/acre of pig slurry on all my silage ground. Then on April 8th, a light sprinkling of SulphaCAN (~1 bag/acre). Would it be madness to go spread ~2k gallons/acre of cattle slurry back on the ground after the first cut is taken off? Will all be going for a 2nd cut.

At the end of March I spread ~3k gallons/acre of pig slurry on all my silage ground. Then on April 8th, a light sprinkling of SulphaCAN (~1 bag/acre). Would it be madness to go spread ~2k gallons/acre of cattle slurry back on the ground after the first cut is taken off? Will all be going for a 2nd cut.

It'd be grand not a bother.

ganmo wrote: »

Probably not, product labelled as Irish in a foreign country is at a disadvantage,
    seen it in many supermarkets across Europe

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement