Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Is she a bit racist father? White folk being mediocre farmers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Bullocks wrote: »
    Is she a bit racist father? White folk being mediocre farmers?

When one farmer makes a living on 40 acres and it takes another farmer 400 acres to make a living.
    Which is the better farmer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

When one farmer makes a living on 40 acres and it takes another farmer 400 acres to make a living.

There must be some pretty bad aussie farmers so

ganmo wrote: »
    There must be some pretty bad aussie farmers so

Some would agree with that compared to who went before them and how they knew how to live in their environment with little human footprint left on the landscape.

How many aboriginals could live on the land compared to our European relations out there?

Just hearing on a local farming show on the radio about the Kerry co-op share polavor.
    When a postman working down there has shares valued at €850,000...

Maybe I should start reading the local thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭roosterman71

It'd be grand not a bother.

Your the right man to be answering these (yer a bit of a soil guru!). Would the P&K be a bit high with more slurry (no idea what they are now - no testing done)?

Your the right man to be answering these (yer a bit of a soil guru!). Would the P&K be a bit high with more slurry (no idea what they are now - no testing done)?

No way a soil guru!

As Patsy posted you'd have no idea how much p and k would be in the slurry.
    I'd have no fear of just slurry putting too much p and k out. If you look at the teagasc recommendations for silage they'll advise loading on two or three bags of 18.6.12 as well as your 2 or 3k of slurry.
    The sustainable farming folks would tell you need as many different species of animal dirt as possible to have a healthy soil. So the change to cattle slurry would be a positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Round figures here......2.5 /3 k gals of cattle slurry (ie not diluted with dairy washings) will supply all the P & K needed to grow the crop... ie around 15 units of p and 90 units of K... You will need 70-90 units of N per acre as well depending on grass variety/reseeds need more than old swaths.... The slurry will supply around 15 units acre depending on spreading conditions/method of spreading... so 2 bags of CAN with 3000 gals of slurry will see you about right...

I'm not sure how the Dutch think CAP is an income support and should be fair?

I probably should complain to the Irish government about my measly 4k so, and my neighbour getting 300k?
    Maybe it got lost in translation into english?

https://www.rekenkamer.nl/actueel/nieuws/2019/05/15/aanzienlijk-deel-inkomenssteun-eu-naar-nederlandse-boeren-met-2-keer-modaal-of-meer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

CAN is Calcium Ammonium Nitrate (CAN). It is 27% Nitrogen.
    It has the chemical formula NH4NO3.

So there is Hydrogen and Oxygen in there.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_nitrate

By the way, if you stop spreading P and K, it won't be in the slurry either. Talking to a guy that was very surprised that his P and K levels were so low on ground that got a lot of slurry. Might be no harm spread 18.6.12 every so often to keep them up. Soil testing will tell you where you are.

Cheers patsy, should have stated that I am importing a good bit of slurry and covering the whole place with it. Soil testing every second year so it will be interesting to see next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

My Father is cursing me for petting the TVR twins, they follow him around the field now :D Was very handy for tagging them the other day though, just walked up & did them in the field! Sold the second pedigree bull yesterday too, had loads of calls about him. Though was lucky in that he didn't suit the first guy & the second guy bought him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

It would totally depend on who has the newer jeep ðŸ˜

I'm not sure why I'm being singled out on Boards and getting these constant ads from the United Australia Party in the Kilkenny colours?
    I haven't watched Home and Away for years. I don't even know if Alf is on the ballot paper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Did anyone go to Balmoral show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Black helicopter flying around here today. CIA surveilling the layout of the roads for the Trump visit. He can wait till I've my silage done.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Black helicopter flying around here today. CIA surveilling the layout of the roads for the Trump visit. He can wait till I've my silage done.

Probably a dairy farmer bringing in the cows?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Are you sure it wasn't just Limestone's drone?:confused:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Black helicopter flying around here today. CIA surveilling the layout of the roads for the Trump escape route. He can wait till I've my silage done.

Fyp. :)

Odelay wrote: »
    Probably a dairy farmer bringing in the cows?

Aye we use the black helicopter during the week and the red one at weekends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

That would be the secret service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Geological Survey Ireland had a twin prop plane doing a survey here on Wednesday. Was about 200 ft off the ground. First time he passed over i thought he was doing an emergency landing. Flew over in the opposite direction about 10 mins later. Spent over 2hrs passing over this general area. We were notified of the survey but it was to be done from Feb til Apr. According to the website there's still 30% to be surveyed in the west cork region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Was on Herdplus profile earlier
    On Record heat/serve I see a NA after the bull code
    What does the NA mean?

Was on Herdplus profile earlier
    On Record heat/serve I see a NA after the bull code
    What does the NA mean?

Not Applicable.
    Are you sure the AI code is correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Not Applicable.
    Are you sure the AI code is correct?

Yes codes are correct & there was no error message when loading

Yes codes are correct & there was no error message when loading

No idea then I'm afraid :o

Reggie. wrote: »
    That would be the secret service

Wasn't very secretive. Everyone is talking about it. :D

When we were young Larry would fly over most days at the same time in his helicopter. Could hear it in the distance for a good while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Tryst me when I tell ya you only see what they want you to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Had a football game this eve and one of the boys broke his ribs. Poor fella was in a bad way. Couldn't breathe, going into shock. Took a full hour for an ambulance to come...you wouldn't want to be dying anyway.

Late late show worth a watch at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    When we were young Larry would fly over most days at the same time in his helicopter. Could hear it in the distance for a good while
    Larry used to fly over a friends farm on his way to and from Dublin. One summer's evening (early 1990's) on his way back home he got the pilot to land the helicopter in one of their fields and sent the assistant pilot to the house to tell them they saw a dead ewe in a ditch for several days and they should get it removed.

Is this a cockroach? I'm not well up on bugs but that would be unusual for here surely? He flew in the door as I opened it.

Is this a cockroach? I'm not well up on bugs but that would be unusual for here surely? He flew in the door as I opened it.

Cockchafer beetle or maybug. Base Price likes them, send it to her :D
    If you still have it, take a closer look at the head with its little furry antennae.

9126406417_e4f94dd7c2.jpg

Cockchafer beetle or maybug. Base Price likes them, send it to her :D
    If you still have it, take a closer look at the head with its little furry antennae.

9126406417_e4f94dd7c2.jpg

Lol cheers, that's him. Never seen one before 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

It's not a cockroach but it is a cock-something. They get called May bugs usually.

Edit ^^ cockchafer is the name.

Edit again ^^ beating to it. What she said!

Just reading up on them and they only live for 24 hrs or Less. They don't have a mouth so don't eat. Only live long enough to breed and lay eggs and gone again. You'd have to wonder how they stay going or their purpose? Every day is a school day lol.

Just reading up on them and they only live for 24 hrs or Less. They don't have a mouth so don't eat. Only live long enough to breed and lay eggs and gone again. You'd have to wonder how they stay going or their purpose? Every day is a school day lol.

I never knew that about them. Poor little mites. Let him out so he can find a lady/man bug & breed!!!

I never knew that about them. Poor little mites. Let him out so he can find a lady/man bug & breed!!!

Lol he's gone to party like it's his last night lol.

They must have come up with the expression - 'Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do today'. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Geological Survey Ireland had a twin prop plane doing a survey here on Wednesday. Was about 200 ft off the ground. First time he passed over i thought he was doing an emergency landing. Flew over in the opposite direction about 10 mins later. Spent over 2hrs passing over this general area. We were notified of the survey but it was to be done from Feb til Apr. According to the website there's still 30% to be surveyed in the west cork region.

If they're spooking stock or otherwise causing mayhem - you can phone them and request that they fly at a higher altitude. They're fairly accommodating tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

You are confusing mayflies and maybugs/cockchafers. Mayflies (a well know trout favourite) live for 24 hours but cockchafers/maybugs live for a couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Had a football game this eve and one of the boys broke his ribs. Poor fella was in a bad way. Couldn't breathe, going into shock. Took a full hour for an ambulance to come...you wouldn't want to be dying anyway.

I’ve broken ribs falling out of a tree when I was a nipper. Jesus it’s painful, I thought I was dying.

Happy Birthday to me 😎

02-FF922-F-54-E5-450-A-92-AD-8245-D328-FA2-A.jpg

_Brian wrote: »
    Happy Birthday to me 😎

Happy birthday. I wouldn't say too many people get one of those for their birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

First Communion today and still no sign of the bouncey castle and your man's phone is off !! Could be a long day !!

• Advertisement

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    First Communion today and still no sign of the bouncey castle and your man's phone is off !! Could be a long day !!

Jaysus. I'd say the blood pressure is crazy atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

_Brian wrote: »
    Happy Birthday to me ��

Happy Birthday!
    When's the party? Btw I presume there will be sausages ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Jaysus. I'd say the blood pressure is crazy atm
    I'd be easy enough going but herself is fairly stressed. Young lad doesn't know yet we might have a problem !

Happy birthday. I wouldn't say too many people get one of those for their birthday

We’re not ordinary people, not even close

gozunda wrote: »
    Happy Birthday!
    When's the party? Btw I presume there will be sausages ;)

Sure.
    Vegan sausages 😃😃

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement