Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Look up the new Sasha baron cohen vid, Who is America. Fooking crazy stuff.

To Cheney.
    Were you ever encouraged to get rid of Bush, so we could see more Dick?

If you really wanted to see crazy.
    You should have seen the Louis Theroux documentary 'Murder in Milwaukee'.
    Mother's bringing pump action shotguns to the shower in case of home invasions and kids with no fathers getting guns for their birthday for their own protection.
    It's either kill or be killed.

Our Guy in Russia is on at 9 again tonight. I'd recommend it, a good watch.

It was good alright.

That Kamaz Master is some machine.

I can see Guy making a program or just doing a stint in racing one of these in the Dakar rally on the back of visiting the factory in the future.

I know this is a farming thread but if you're not following the progress of the new bridge project as part of the New Ross bypass.
    You should.

You get a sense of the scale of it from the pictures.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107581473&postcount=832

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I know this is a farming thread but if you're not following the progress of the new bridge project as part of the New Ross bypass.
    You should.

You get a sense of the scale of it from the pictures.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107581473&postcount=832

We've one of them near here too, the Joe Dolan bridge, supposed to be the longest in the country

https://www.google.ie/search?q=length+of+joe+dolan+bridge+mullingar&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi908mwkLfcAhXQTsAKHTscD2QQ_AUICigB&biw=1584&bih=767#imgrc=Hjpg0-4PVArF7M:

wrangler wrote: »

I think they're saying of it's type this will be the longest bridge in the world.
    There's another bridge in Panama that's comparable to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I think its the longest bridge over the smallest river or something like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Reggie. wrote: »
    I think its the longest bridge over the smallest river or something like that

longest bridge in Ireland (or was up until recently)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭roosterman71

30% off subs for the journal with free tickets to Tullamore Show:
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/WEBFILES/tullamore_show_tickets_terms_conditions.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Could be better.

How?
    Phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

My new topper has arrived!!! Excira & delira :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Phone.

Ah the curse of snapchat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Enfilade wrote: »
    Farmers protesting trying to put bales in the road and the police let loose the tear gas / pepper spray.

And French farmers having some fun at the Tour today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

longest bridge in Ireland (or was up until recently)

Longest bridge in Ireland is in Clare. Sixmilebridge !
    I'll get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

The French know how to hold a farming protest.

https://youtu.be/XMpydiPFuGc

https://youtu.be/EgDimvKtB90

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Longest bridge in Ireland is in Clare. Sixmilebridge !
    I'll get my coat

I’ve heard there’s a really tall Russian in Tipperary.
    Twomile borris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Actually we have the longest bridge and the smallest parish .. six mile bridge. .. and inch is a parish here

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

How much a tone is winter barley bringing dis year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

marathon wrote: »
    How much a tone is winter barley bringing dis year?
    A lad that I was talking too last week said it was €175 green and €200 dried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Base price wrote: »
    A lad that I was talking too last week said it was €175 green and €200 dried.

At that price you'd be better off going for the dried, well that's with my mental maths. What moisture content is wet and dried?

Odelay wrote: »
    At that price you'd be better off going for the dried, well that's with my mental maths. What moisture content is wet and dried?
    He said it was coming in at 15% off the combine before going to the drier. I didn't ask what percentage they dried it too.

He said it was coming in at 15% off the combine before going to the drier. I didn't ask what percentage they dried it too.

Usually dried to 12 to 14% I think, price quoted usually is for 20% moisture and then bonuses for every percent under that
    you probably know all that if you had tillage in the eighties

Probably 15%.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

lab man wrote: »
    Actually we have the longest bridge and the smallest parish .. six mile bridge. .. and inch is a parish here

It also has a bridge.....called Inch bridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Odelay wrote: »

It trying to get it as well. Heard that whole crop was costing 800/acre and buyer had to pick up cutting and haulage.

Slava Ukrainii

It trying to get it as well. Heard that whole crop was costing 800/acre and buyer had to pick up cutting and haulage.

Some went for €900 around here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Some went for €900 around here

It’s made 1000 freely in this area

And you must pick up the harvesting on top of that

Gone too late for whole crop now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Panch18 wrote: »

Silage lads will be doing whole top in my area for the rest of this week

• Advertisement

Panch18 wrote: »

Dairy farmers and stud farms flashing the cash......hopefully tillage farmers remember their straw customers that were loyal over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dairy farmers and stud farms flashing the cash......hopefully tillage farmers remember their straw customers that were loyal over the years.

We are getting all our straw requirements from 2 tillage lads that owe us money. One owes oh money for haulage-quite a bit.

whelan2 wrote: »
    We are getting all our straw requirements from 2 tillage lads that owe us money. One owes oh money for haulage-quite a bit.

It's a good opportunity to get it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Parishlad wrote: »
    Just checked the course I am booked in to and there are 6 places still available. I think it's 10 in a class so there's probably a good chance that this one will get cancelled too!

The spraying course went ahead anyway with the 6 of us. Did the second day yesterday. Was a grand day off work really! :D

Was home again nice and early so got a good bit of fertiliser out, in the hope that we get a drop of rain in a couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

ganmo wrote: »

“Mr Devlin said he accepted his client had acted in an “odd way””

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Parishlad wrote: »
    The spraying course went ahead anyway with the 6 of us. Did the second day yesterday. Was a grand day off work really! :D

Was home again nice and early so got a good bit of fertiliser out, in the hope that we get a drop of rain in a couple of days.

I know you have to do it, but is it worth doing? Learn anything new?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Phoned my straw man today. Last year it was €22 delivered for 40 round bales with €20 back for luck.

This year he was saying I’d be lucky to get a half load for €35 a bale.

In a calving pen, I have rubber mats down, what would I use as bedding at calving time? Do people use saw dust?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Phoned my straw man today. Last year it was €22 delivered for 40 round bales with €20 back for luck.

In a calving pen, I have rubber mats down, what would I use as bedding at calving time? Do people use saw dust?

Sawdust sounds a bit dangerous.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Save straw where you can the calving pen is not the place to do it.
    Hold your nose and buy what you can.

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Save straw where you can the calving pen is not the place to do it.
    Hold your nose and buy what you can.

I’d only need it in the calving pen as everything else on slats. I only have about 12 cows calving and some will be at end of April so some cattle may be out.

I’d only need it in the calving pen as everything else on slats. I only have about 12 cows calving and some will be at end of April so some cattle may be out.

Don't use sawdust, it's dangerous.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

Don't use sawdust, it's dangerous.

I know nothing about it. Was just asking what do others use. My lad is reliable, I reckon I’ll get some straw off him.

I know nothing about it. Was just asking what do others use. My lad is reliable, I reckon I’ll get some straw off him.

Bite the bullet on the price of the straw even though it does sound a bit pricey.

Bite the bullet on the price of the straw even though it does sound a bit pricey.

Its not the price that bothers me- he was saying he was looking for it at moment. I said I’d take anything off him

Its not the price that bothers me- he was saying he was looking for it at moment. I said I’d take anything off him

Try peat?

Ours have anyway and they are not putting the boot in too deep on prices.

Talking to one lad today where we were loading rounds of wbs and he said he was getting calls from several dairy farmers looking for his wheaten straw when it was baled. He said he wouldn't sell any of them a bale as they never bought from him over the years when their silage supplies were plentiful. He is going to continue to supply the mushroom composters and a few regulars as he does every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Or Tom?

Try peat?

Would it be very dirty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Our straw man called in the other day. He said he'd serious interest in the straw so to tip up and get what we usually get. Same money as last year. He said he was glad to get the 10 or 12 bales of silage off us in April when he was stuck, at a fair price. What comes around goes around!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Burning Tires

Neighbours here was telling me that the local straw man is only giving one load to each client. And he got the loacl plant hire company to come with him for 4 loads as he couldn't get it out of the field fast enough. All the hauliers scrambling for straw. Straw coming from barryroe to bandon direction.

Would it be very dirty?

Local man here calves 600 cows off one bedding of peat. He uses about 100m3 in the calving shed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement