Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I reckon the father died and son is selling his car and few cattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

_Brian wrote: »
    I’m probably wrong but when all of them are so nervous I’d be thinking they’re not being handled properly.

We’ve bought in animals that turned out crazy but the majority settle when you spend time with them and handle them calmly and regularly.
    I don't know about that, anyone could have a few wild ones. I have a dry cow to go here at the moment and she's as dangerous as ever stood on this farm even when dry. She was never blaguarded in any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I was on to ICBF a few weeks ago about Herdplus and asked them to post me the relevant paperwork to sign up. They sent me that sign up/payment form but not the one to allow DAFM to share your info.
    I've looked on the site but can't find that form. Could someone please post a link to it.

TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

And I reckon that it's Katy Mac's good neighbour making sure that they will never break in to his place again. If I am right he will have a red Angus for sale soon. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Their favourite food and only one person visible, weanling crunch in a bucket in front of her (it has a strong scent), let her smell it and eat some before taking it from her, move away and do the same again until she follows you home. If you are bring more than one animal in, you have to concentrate on the quietest, get that one eating, all the rest will follow, have a light rod waving around you in case they get too close and surround you. To get them into the paddock, have some meal in feeders (visible split blue barrels) in the paddock and while they are busy jostling for it, sneak around and close the gate, but be quick. Have everything in place and plan ahead. Stay calm and take your time.

Yes that or a big branch off an ash tree or similar with plenty of leaves on it, walk slowly up the field and drag the branch on the ground behind you, the cattle will gather around the branch eating the leaves and walk into the yard behind you before they know where they are, usually works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I don't know about that, anyone could have a few wild ones. I have a dry cow to go here at the moment and she's as dangerous as ever stood on this farm even when dry. She was never blaguarded in any way.

Gives the impression they are all wild though. Like he’s not playing it down saying an odd wild one.

Anyway, don’t mean to criticise any fella.

Had a fella renting beside us few years ago and he only ever drive through stock in his Pajero, beeping the horn at cows and bull to move them. They were without exception the craziest bunch of stock I ever came across, it took a herd of men to do anything including get them out of our land. Thankfully he’s lost interest and moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Yes that or a big branch off an ash tree or similar with plenty of leaves on it, walk slowly up the field and drag the branch on the ground behind you, the cattle will gather around the branch eating the leaves and walk into the yard behind you before they know where they are, usually works.

That’s a great idea, I will definitely try that with ash or ivy. (They say inspiration is a blinding flash of the obvious).

You can outsmart them, but you won’t outrun them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

It seems to me that he's standing in the middle of the pen with them when taking the pictures. If this is true and there not climbing the walls or one of them demolishes him with a kick then I don't think there that nervous tbh. Fair play for his honesty but I reckon there's as bad and worse in most yards around the country. Without first hand experience you can't be certain but I doubt if there​ total lunatics either, below is an example of what I'd term a "nervous" beast.

https://youtu.be/_QdxWD64o34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

What's the reaction on the ground to "Scomo" becoming Prime Minister?

Would all the Aussie's you know vote?
    (With compulsory voting and being fined if you don't vote).
    Would you have a vote?

Ive no vote myself, i reckon residents dont have a vote even just citizens. Most of them out this way used to vote as it meant well were in town we may aswell go to the pub while were here mentality and to avoida fine, altough i know one guy who said hes not on the registrar so hes not pushed.
    The only radio we have here really us the ABC, so i got an earful about what the election meant today, basically from what i can see is the people who get up early in the morning to go to work had enough of the "do gooder" lefties telling them how to live there lives. I was nervous enough myself about labour getting in as they dont want to keep the infrastructure upgrades going, there more worried about air conditioning in schools than up grading the transport network, so that means theres plenty of work here for another few years i reckon the booms gonna get boomier. The farmer i work for however told me he never voted labour and never will but they were always great for the farmers out here, the reason being for never voting them in? Well whats the point in having the farms doing ok but having the country totally f#cked he said, also labour are tougher on immigration theyve no problem opening the borders to people coming here illegally but stop people coming here legitimately
    Australias answer to The Donald failed to secure a single seat out here despite running a candidate in every constituency, he did however help scomo get in by leading a smear campaign against the left. The same fella was all for the regional areas etc and said people living and working in rural areas would pay less tax than urban areas but most people weren't convinced as he still hasnt paid his workers in one of his coal mines.

And thats what you learn from a day spent switching through an AM radio trying to find a music channel.

Better living everyone

No doubt about it a strong calf can give you a right rasper!!

Going back to the ad about nervous cattle for sale, it could be the lad that is nervous. No doubt about it, but cattle pick up on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

And I reckon that it's Katy Mac's good neighbour making sure that they will never break in to his place again. If I am right he will have a red Angus for sale soon. :):)

He's gonna have to catch her first!!! Nervous is not the word when describing her - wicked would be nearer the mark. Factory here she comes, once we get her in, I won't wish her on some other poor farmer that thinks she is a looker (which unfortunately she is) and buy her to breed from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

KatyMac wrote: »
    He's gonna have to catch her first!!! Nervous is not the word when describing her - wicked would be nearer the mark. Factory here she comes, once we get her in, I won't wish her on some other poor farmer that thinks she is a looker (which unfortunately she is) and buy her to breed from.

Shed is probably best place for her. The head is always up and they don't put on weight out in the field.

We had a heifer last year, spooked everything when it came to being moved. Unbelievably, she settled down following first calving this year (as did her mother before her). She had a heifer calf, it's a case of "black cat, black kitten", her calf is now up and off when you enter to check on them. Good to look at, Partnenaise ancestry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Went for a drive through my silage fields today. Young lad was driving. There was an awful squeal. He drove over a baby deer asleep in the long grass. It got up and ran away. No sign of the mother deer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Oh no!! Poor wee deer but at least it got up & ran away:( I hit a fox once, couldn't even stop as there was a car on my tail.

White twin did the same thing today & got into the meadow. Luckily no gymnastics this time bringing him back.
    Another twin also got into the neighbours paddock & was merrily running around with them terrorising the young calves. Took a bit of cursing to get her back & think the neighbour has a cow carrying twins in that field too:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Went for a drive through my silage fields today. Young lad was driving. There was an awful squeal. He drove over a baby deer asleep in the long grass. It got up and ran away. No sign of the mother deer
    Hopefully it's ok since it was able to run away. Hinds/does keep away from young fawns and only come to feed them. AFAIK it has something to do with not letting potential predators know where they are.

Base price wrote: »
    Hopefully it's ok since it was able to run away. Hinds/does keep away from young fawns and only come to feed them. AFAIK it has something to do with not letting potential predators know where they are.

I think I read before that newborn fawns have almost no scent to track, so it goes & tucks itself up in cover & comes out when the mother calls it.

Oh was driving lorry over near clonard today and he drove into a massive swarm of bees - I assume. He said it was scary and lucky the windows were closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Check your numbers Whelan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Oh was driving lorry over near clonard today and he drove into a massive swarm of bees - I assume. He said it was scary and lucky the windows were closed

Swarming season alright. It's quite the sight to come across a swarm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

65 bales done here this eve, more again tomorrow and on weds, hope to have 250+ in the stack by weds... great weather at it...

• Advertisement

jimmy G M wrote: »
    65 bales done here this eve, more again tomorrow and on weds, hope to have 250+ in the stack by weds... great weather at it...

Great to do it in stages like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Swarming bees generally dont sting but it must have been quite frightening just the same

Check your numbers Whelan.

I think we can safely say Whelan2 never has to worry about milk price anymore.

I'll be the first on here to offer Congratulations.

I think we can safely say Whelan2 never has to worry about milk price anymore.

I'll be the first on here to offer Congratulations.

Quite the opposite here atm. Life is crap. I wish the fooker of a single magpie I see every morning would get a life and feck off. Only time for milking and herding and then looking after someone who isn't well. Your health is your wealth. A lotto win like that would only cause hardship.

Quite the opposite here atm. Life is crap. I wish the fooker of a single magpie I see every morning would get a life and feck off. Only time for milking and herding and then looking after someone who isn't well. Your health is your wealth. A lotto win like that would only cause hardship.

Still be a nice win though.
    6 million is not to be sneezed at.
    No magpies or milking after that. :p

I don't think there's a person in the land who wouldn't disagree about your health.
    Hopefully whoever you're looking after gets well soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Still be a nice win though.
    6 million is not to be sneezed at.
    No magpies or milking after that. :p

I don't think there's a person in the land who wouldn't disagree about your health.
    Hopefully whoever you're looking after gets well soon.

I’d hate to win the lotto. Think it would bring nothing but pain and grief.

Odelay wrote: »
    I’d hate to win the lotto. Think it would bring nothing but pain and grief.

I'd live with it.

A big mansion and phuck off wall around and do what you want.
    If any of ye win the lotto. I'll take the pain and grief off your hands.

I'm fairly sure one of my neighbours won it about 10 years ago. It was announced that it was won by a worker in X & he works there. Also mentioned to my father that he'd come into some money.
    TBH, he's the nicest chap I could think of to win it. Always kind, loves cattle, always at he end of the phone if we're stuck at calving. Helps us out with all his new fancy machinery :pac:
    Keeping it quiet is the only way to stay sane with it I reckon. Split it up between family & let everyone enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

When the lotto came out first, everyone used to sit in front of the telly checking the numbers as they were read out. There I was one night, on my own and I had the first 4 numbers as they were read out. I was sitting up on my chair for the 5th one. No luck. Had just 4 and £17.:D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

Sent Dad off to Brogans with my uncle to look at tractor parts. Got a text an hour later to say he'd bought a 4-wheel drive Zetor. If I spent a few hundred euro out of the farm account I'd be chastised, never mind 20k+ :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Sent Dad off to Brogans with my uncle to look at tractor parts. Got a text an hour later to say he'd bought a 4-wheel drive Zetor. If I spent a few hundred euro out of the farm account I'd be chastised, never mind 20k+ :pac:

Pictures as soon as you have them ðŸ‘

Pictures as soon as you have them ðŸ‘

Being delivered in the next few days I think!

Being delivered in the next few days I think!

Best of luck with it! What model?

Best of luck with it! What model?

All I was told is a 4WD, 05 Zetor with a front loader. Nothing more!
    Step up from the old one anyway.

All I was told is a 4WD, 05 Zetor with a front loader. Nothing more!
    Step up from the old one anyway.

A few small jobs to the 5211 and it would be a grand little tractor.

• Advertisement

A few small jobs to the 5211 and it would be a grand little tractor.

I commend you on your optimism with 'small' :P
    Taking it as part exchange too.

I commend you on your optimism with 'small' :P
    Taking it as part exchange too.

Lol! Do a "small" bit at a time!!

Hmmm...
    Does your father do his shopping in Tesco in Drogheda by any chance?

Lol! Do a "small" bit at a time!!

He's now trying to fit the piece he was originally sent to buy, a glass yokibob that is something to do with the fuel line which is causing it to surge & ebb when running.

He's now trying to fit the piece he was originally sent to buy, a glass yokibob that is something to do with the fuel line which is causing it to surge & ebb when running.

Tell him no need for that part, he can bypass it. They're h***s for drawing air there.

• Advertisement

Tell him no need for that part, he can bypass it. They're h***s for drawing air there.

Can you come fix it :pac::D It's working ok, just annoying hearing it at it. Been doing it for a while now so we'll probably send it off to Strokestown as is.
    I'm ridiculously excited about the loader. SO MANY POSSIBILITIES!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Can you come fix it :pac::D It's working ok, just annoying hearing it at it. Been doing it for a while now so we'll probably send it off to Strokestown as is.

Christmas is coming early to Leitrim! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It's a Zetor, it won't be long before it's parts:p

Ah no, well wear with her:)

It's a Zetor 6441, now tell me everything that's bad about them :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Sure, wait a few weeks and you can tell us yourself. Best of luck with it, by the way.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I think I had a 7441 borrowed when my own was in for repair years ago, they're light, you wouldn't be flying around with the loader fully up.
    I've used zetors all my farming life and found them good, ideal for ordinary small farmers, easy serviced, present one though has a lot of gimmicks, the thirteen spanner won't solve all its problems.
    Best of luck with it

I'd have preferred a change from Zetor but it's what Dad is used to so guess i'd better get used to it too! Only used for bales/trailer/fertiliser/mowing etc so it's not going to get much hardship at all. Fingers crossed it gets here soon so I can get used to it before mowing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

There won't be a thing lifted by hand for weeks, not so much as a bucket of meal :D

Warrants another piece in the IFJ !! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Can you come fix it It's working ok, just annoying hearing it at it. Been doing it for a while now so we'll probably send it off to Strokestown as is. I'm ridiculously excited about the loader. SO MANY POSSIBILITIES!

Why would buy flowers for a woman when a tractor and loader is the gift that gives all year

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement