Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Why would buy flowers for a woman when a tractor and loader is the gift that gives all year

What other gift says 'I care about you lifting heavy things so here's a loader' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

What other gift says 'I care about you lifting heavy things so here's a loader' :D

Note to self:

Don't buy someone you're interested in a dungspreader.

Note to self:

Don't buy someone you're interested in a dungspreader.

But what if I enjoy spreading sh...tuff :pac:

But what if I enjoy spreading sh...tuff :pac:

Well ware with the new tractor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭emaherx

There has been a lot of talk about insurance lately. Easy to see why are premiums are all only going one way when a TD is sueing a hotel for not providing instructions on the correct use of a swing and also leaving here unsupervised at the swings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

emaherx wrote: »
    There has been a lot of talk about insurance lately. Easy to see why are premiums are all only going one way when a TD is sueing a hotel for not providing instructions on the correct use of a swing and also leaving here unsupervised at the swings.

Ducking shocking. Would she not be ashamed of herself. Complaining that the swing two foot off the ground wasn’t supervised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,985 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Odelay wrote: »
    Ducking shocking. Would she not be ashamed of herself. Complaining that the swing two foot off the ground wasn’t supervised.

What age is she?

whelan2 wrote: »
    What age is she?

Well she's a TD.... So she's definitely more than 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

That’s both embarrassing and disgusting behaviour for a public representative, setting some example she is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

What age is she?

She’s 45. A TD, elected to govern the country and thinks she needs supervision on a swing. Ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

_Brian wrote: »
    That’s both embarrassing and disgusting behaviour for a public representative, setting some example she is.

As a matter of principle no one should vote for her, everyone paying insurance shouldn't vote for her as a protest anyway.
    She's really taking the p..s now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Odelay wrote: »
    She’s 45. A TD, elected to govern the country and thinks she needs supervision on a swing. Ffs.

It should be a question for all canvassers looking to be elected.

Do you or do you not require supervision on a swing?:D

It should be a question for all canvassers looking to be elected.

Do you or do you not require supervision on a swing?:D

She also claimed there was no signage to instruct on the correct use of a swing. I've a 2 year old who has difficulty in this area so she has a safer version, maybe the hotel should have more appropriate swings for people who can't grasp the concept?

480854.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Unbelievable. I hadn't heard. I've given up on watching the news as it only depresses me.
    What kind of a message is it sending out? You don't have to take personal responsibility for your actions. Blame and sue someone else and get some handy money. Leave it so.

Read a piece in sat Indo where 3 kids (through their mother l think) sued Iceland for defamation of character over their alleged stealing of a packet of biscuits. They got €5000 each.

She also claimed there was no signage to instruct on the correct use of a swing. I've a 2 year old who has difficulty in this area so she has a safer version, maybe the hotel should have more appropriate swings for people who can't grasp the concept?

And call it the TD ONLY swing:P

• Advertisement

Anyone that thinks they have a dungheap, check this out.

https://twitter.com/WestonParkFarms/status/1130753986485735425?s=20

Premium grade. The microbes and heat and moisture from the composting brings out the minerals from the basalt dust. This is what back gardeners have been doing for a good few years now but this is a bit bigger. A bit of charcoal to the mixture as well and ...unbeatable.

480854.jpg

That made me lol

Went to secondary school awards night. Started at 7pm. 182 awards given out by 8.30 pm Thought we'd be there all night. Daughter got 4 awards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Am here having my breakfast and just saw on the milk carton it says v suitable for vegetarians. Now I assumed that as they don't eat meat from a cow they wouldn't drink milk from a cow???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Am here having my breakfast and just saw on the milk carton it says v suitable for vegetarians. Now I assumed that as they don't eat meat from a cow they wouldn't drink milk from a cow???

Yea, veggies just avoid meats where Vegans avoid all animal related products, milk, leather etc.

Vegetarians don't eat any meat, but dairy products, eggs, wool etc is ok.
    Believe it or not, I was one for a short time.

A very short time :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Explains alot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Young lad came home yesterday and said he was going to be a vegan. Wondered then would I throw down a pizza instead of pork chops we were having haha. No more than myself he wouldn't last long without a feed of mate!

Reggie. wrote: »
    Explains alot

Aren't you sweet <3
    Bullocks wrote: »
    Young lad came home yesterday and said he was going to be a vegan. Wondered then would I throw down a pizza instead of pork chops we were having haha. No more than myself he wouldn't last long without a feed of mate!

How would he eat a pizza, sure there's cheese on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Aren't you sweet <3

That's me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Sure enough the one Sunday they have something interesting on we started seeding.

There's a link to their "iview " service in that, that you should be able to view.

You can wow us all then after with your banana growing skills when you've watched it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Aren't you sweet <3

How would he eat a pizza, sure there's cheese on it!

Haha he is only 8 and must have heard "vegan" in school. He hadn't a clue what it really meant. If pizza wasn't part of a vegen diet then it wasn't going to be for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Herd test here today. Christ, is there anything worst? All sucklers. Got them in no bother on my own. Well planned in advance with temp elect fences. But as for getting them into the chute. They were bursting back against me, gates flying, the whole lot. You're swear they thought we were going to kill them. :mad:
    I can handle them on my own no bother, could calf them outside. But once that stranger comes into the yard....all hell breaks loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Yes testing this time of year is a pain, cows looking for their calves, not wanting to be separated. Trying to make sure small calves aren't in the crush with big cows encase they get hurt. While small calves in a crush are a pain as they are leaping around the place and turning around in the crush the one that started off at the back ends up nearly at the front plus it totally disrupts your planned farm management with having to have cattle near the yard / crush for the week of the test. But depending on your type of farming I really don't know when would be the most suitable time to test. For me as I don't sell weanlings and my cows don't calf until end of March - mid May I find testing around the beginning of January as the most suitable. But as I have an (cull cow) dealer as an adjoining land occupier I find myself test nearly every 4 months which is a total pain in the ass. Best of luck on Saturday at the reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MarkIRE

I want to buy a used slurry tanker for my own use! 1600 gallon is ideal for me and am looking for suggestions on what would suit best!

Have my eye on a 1600 gallon Abbey tanker with floutation tyres (not sure on size of tyres).

Pros and cons please?

Sister finally went into hospital yesterday, 15 hours waiting for a bed. Anyway was there today when consultant came around. I asked him was there a tonic or something to help her get her energy back. No they are all gimics just a placebo affect.... So save yer money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭visatorro

Sister finally went into hospital yesterday, 15 hours waiting for a bed. Anyway was there today when consultant came around. I asked him was there a tonic or something to help her get her energy back. No they are all gimics just a placebo affect.... So save yer money.

Expensive piss is all you get apparently. Hope the sister is OK

MarkIRE wrote: »
    I want to buy a used slurry tanker for my own use! 1600 gallon is ideal for me and am looking for suggestions on what would suit best!

Have my eye on a 1600 gallon Abbey tanker with floutation tyres (not sure on size of tyres).

Pros and cons please?

Hello and welcome, Mark.

I copied your post over to the machinery discussion thread where the folk there should be able to offer a bit of guidance for you. Just click on the link below to go onto that thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110250945#post110250945

Wouldn't you sometimes forget that there's other parts of boards than the farming section?

New Ross bypass Barrow bridge with credit to poster M17. The longest of it's type in the world. In the Roads section in the Infrastructure part of boards.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110215454&postcount=1304

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Herd test here today. Christ, is there anything worst? All sucklers. Got them in no bother on my own. Well planned in advance with temp elect fences. But as for getting them into the chute. They were bursting back against me, gates flying, the whole lot. You're swear they thought we were going to kill them. :mad:
    I can handle them on my own no bother, could calf them outside. But once that stranger comes into the yard....all hell breaks loose.

At least you got them all in anyway. Had to do it in stages here with the runaways jumping 4 strands of barbed wire the first day. Good luck with the reading. Sucklers are getting wilder every generation, in another 10 years it'll be like Pamplona doing a herd test.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Expect the unexpected. I still have a small bump back of my head, following herd test a few years back. The Vet was accompanied by a transition year student wearing a bright purple hoodie with the hood up, his hands stuck in the pockets, which seem to spook the heifers. When they had departed, one jumped a gate knocking me backwards onto the concrete. 5 star heifer ?, I was the one who seeing stars that day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Placebo effect is an effective treatment as any. It’s remarkable how the mind governs the body.

Any advice on how to sort out the current situation im in? Drought here at the minute got 20ml since november, 10ml of that was last week i came out here nearly two months ago and the original plan was to be have all the gear washed and put away by the first week of june, we were supposed to start the long hours and seeding two weeks after landing we only done 5 days of it so far and that was this week we pulled up today as it's to dry for cereals. Im getting a bit fed up of it at the minute and theres no rain forecast in the next 14 days and constant talk of leaving the seed in the bag this year, ive held out long enough now and the new job is fexible with the start date anywhere really from the next two weeks on untill mid july. I dont know what to say to the farmers here as there 100% and they seem happy enough with me and the conditions are good. We have fencing to do over the next week at least maybe a bit more but were stil only putting in 40hr weeks with no weekend work it really is the middle of nowhere here and ive a three day weekend this week due to the weather. I know its not easy on the farmers but they seem pretty relaxed about it all the same there the only ones in the district holding back at the minute but i came out here to make money and what was offered isnt being presented due to the weather.
    Any idea what i should say to them? The monday before we got the last 10ml i was going to tell them after work that evening but the weather forecast changed at lunch time so i stuck it out, if it doesn't rain soon its going to be too late to put a crop in aswell.

Better living everyone

Local election candidate was going around yesterday evening talking on a loud speaker in his car. Frightened the crap out of my cows and they went running. I won't be voting for him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Local election candidate was going around yesterday evening talking on a loud speaker in his car. Frightened the crap out of my cows and they went running. I won't be voting for him...

Same here - our dogs went mad every time and the car must have done 4 trips past our house in a short time - unnecessary and pure annoying. I then had a nice man that I've not seen before and only because he was such a decent quiet man and didn't pester me I think I will give him a chance. He said maybe I'd give him a number when I'd looked after my 'local' candidate! Can't be worse than the crowd that constantly get in around here. Local doesn't always equal useful!

Any advice on how to sort out the current situation im in? Drought here at the minute got 20ml since november, 10ml of that was last week i came out here nearly two months ago and the original plan was to be have all the gear washed and put away by the first week of june, we were supposed to start the long hours and seeding two weeks after landing we only done 5 days of it so far and that was this week we pulled up today as it's to dry for cereals. Im getting a bit fed up of it at the minute and theres no rain forecast in the next 14 days and constant talk of leaving the seed in the bag this year, ive held out long enough now and the new job is fexible with the start date anywhere really from the next two weeks on untill mid july. I dont know what to say to the farmers here as there 100% and they seem happy enough with me and the conditions are good. We have fencing to do over the next week at least maybe a bit more but were stil only putting in 40hr weeks with no weekend work it really is the middle of nowhere here and ive a three day weekend this week due to the weather. I know its not easy on the farmers but they seem pretty relaxed about it all the same there the only ones in the district holding back at the minute but i came out here to make money and what was offered isnt being presented due to the weather.
    Any idea what i should say to them? The monday before we got the last 10ml i was going to tell them after work that evening but the weather forecast changed at lunch time so i stuck it out, if it doesn't rain soon its going to be too late to put a crop in aswell.
    Maybe have a chat with the farmer and tell him you're thinking of moving on for those reasons. They will probably have had this happen before.

Maybe have a chat with the farmer and tell him you're thinking of moving on for those reasons. They will probably have had this happen before.

The old man of the family, hes one of the first to farm the area and he said he never saw it as bad before as they always had some summer rain and there would have always have been some moisture in the ground because of that. Theyve had lads leave early in the past usually aroubd this week as theyd have booked flights to be back for silage etc and it wasnt ideal for just the two of them to finish off the seeding. If there was an abundance if labour here it wouldn't be as bad, the irish lad working for the neighbour isnt great apparently and he asked for overtime rates etc recently and told the farmer "the way i see it is, you need a driver more than i need a job" there is actually nobody around to fill the job here at the minute thats why im so hesitant to say anything.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

blue5000 wrote: »

At least you got them all in anyway. Had to do it in stages here with the runaways jumping 4 strands of barbed wire the first day. Good luck with the reading. Sucklers are getting wilder every generation, in another 10 years it'll be like Pamplona doing a herd test.

Generally handling stock with a time restraint is a mine field imo, if it goes well you're sorted but when it goes wrong it usually goes very wrong. Fences levelled, stock mixed and the blood pressure rocket's regardless of how easy going you are.

A single man locally who planted most of his land a few year's back told me only recently how easier life was without suckler's. His stock used to make deer seem docile and he reckoned the annual test never took less than 3 visits to get everything corralled and tested. Most of the time he was a quiet and mild mannered individual but after a few minutes dealing with the stock the transformation was like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. He turned into a raging lunatic and I often seen him jumping up and down with temper when the inevitable break a way occurred. Now 3 donkey's draw the sub and keep the grass around the house ate with little fuss. I reckon retiring from the cattle business done more to lower his blood pressure and extend his lifespan than any diet or excise regime known to mankind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

You should take up writing Albert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Do they refund what you have paid for the pallets?

I saw a gardeners truck with an upright pallet holding his gardening rakes, forks, spades etc.

An upright pallet attached to a wall in a shed as a tool tidy, will last forever with a brush of Protim preservative.

One for the machinery heads :p

D7RxN2hXYAE5xeA.jpg

One for the machinery heads :p

D7RxN2hXYAE5xeA.jpg

Well may you ware. .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement