Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Well may you ware. .

It's the Frankenmachine that pulls the turf machine :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

KatyMac wrote: »
    Same here - our dogs went mad every time and the car must have done 4 trips past our house in a short time - unnecessary and pure annoying. I then had a nice man that I've not seen before and only because he was such a decent quiet man and didn't pester me I think I will give him a chance. He said maybe I'd give him a number when I'd looked after my 'local' candidate! Can't be worse than the crowd that constantly get in around here. Local doesn't always equal useful!

If dogs could vote we'd probably have a better Dail:D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Did you hear about the man that was hit in the head with a can of coke.....

He was lucky it was a soft drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Generally handling stock with a time restraint is a mine field imo, if it goes well you're sorted but when it goes wrong it usually goes very wrong. Fences levelled, stock mixed and the blood pressure rocket's regardless of how easy going you are.

A single man locally who planted most of his land a few year's back told me only recently how easier life was without suckler's. His stock used to make deer seem docile and he reckoned the annual test never took less than 3 visits to get everything corralled and tested. Most of the time he was a quiet and mild mannered individual but after a few minutes dealing with the stock the transformation was like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. He turned into a raging lunatic and I often seen him jumping up and down with temper when the inevitable break a way occurred. Now 3 donkey's draw the sub and keep the grass around the house ate with little fuss. I reckon retiring from the cattle business done more to lower his blood pressure and extend his lifespan than any diet or excise regime known to mankind.

I see more and more of this in every part of the country.

One of the country's top Beef farmers from back home in North Kildare has just applied to plant 30 acres(good land too) - about 10% of the farm into the native woodland scheme - basically has enough of struggling for nothing with kids unlikely to be interested in taking over anyway. He will be getting good money for the nest 20 years up to retirement and land is still eligibly for BPS etc. according to the new forestry rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Elections now tomorrow. Mick Wallace number one.:rolleyes:

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Elections now tomorrow. Mick Wallace number one.:rolleyes:
    If ya want him over there you can have him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I’d forgive him anything bar putting up 5000€ bail surety for a would be ira bomber scumbag. The Gardai had done marvelous work foiling loss of life and injury and Should be commended by any public representative. Utter dip****..

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/mick-wallace-and-clare-daly-among-sureties-on-bail-application-for-man-arrested-on-ira-and-explosive-charges-34296361.html

Now that I’ve had my daily rant about the caliber of muppets we elect democratically I’m going out side to sit on the kids swing to calm down!

Willfarman wrote: »
    I’d forgive him anything bar putting up 5000€ bail surety for a would be ira bomber scumbag. The Gardai had done marvelous work foiling loss of life and injury and Should be commended by any public representative. Utter dip****..

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/mick-wallace-and-clare-daly-among-sureties-on-bail-application-for-man-arrested-on-ira-and-explosive-charges-34296361.html

Now that I’ve had my daily rant about the caliber of muppets we elect democratically I’m going out side to sit on the kids swing to calm down!

Do you need supervision? Or instructions? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Neither. I might even get my boots on the right feet as well without supervision from an adult!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

• Advertisement

My little nieces friend broke her arm on a swing. Kids left alone for a while and decided that it would be more fun to have the seat sitting higher and threw it over the top bar a few times.
    She hadn't been drinking though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Generally handling stock with a time restraint is a mine field imo, if it goes well you're sorted but when it goes wrong it usually goes very wrong. Fences levelled, stock mixed and the blood pressure rocket's regardless of how easy going you are.

A single man locally who planted most of his land a few year's back told me only recently how easier life was without suckler's. His stock used to make deer seem docile and he reckoned the annual test never took less than 3 visits to get everything corralled and tested. Most of the time he was a quiet and mild mannered individual but after a few minutes dealing with the stock the transformation was like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. He turned into a raging lunatic and I often seen him jumping up and down with temper when the inevitable break a way occurred. Now 3 donkey's draw the sub and keep the grass around the house ate with little fuss. I reckon retiring from the cattle business done more to lower his blood pressure and extend his lifespan than any diet or excise regime known to mankind.

I see more and more of this in every part of the country.

One of the country's top Beef farmers from back home in North Kildare has just applied to plant 30 acres(good land too) - about 10% of the farm into the native woodland scheme - basically has enough of struggling for nothing with kids unlikely to be interested in taking over anyway. He will be getting good money for the nest 20 years up to retirement and land is still eligibly for BPS etc. according to the new forestry rules

15 years, it was cut by 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Grueller

Clear herd test after being locked up. Sell sell sell

Did ye all vote? Ballot papers for local and European elections were very long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ireland South had 23 candidates, ballot 2ft long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

whelan2 wrote: »
    I did and to be honest knew damn all of the local runners . There certainly wasn't a clear 1st or 2nd to pick .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Water John wrote: »

yeah , there was no lead left in my pencil by the time I got down as far as Wallace :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I had to stop in case I wore out the pencil, it was like a fcuking aptitude test.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I just voted 1,2,3 on each. Tbh I didn't have the time to go through them all. There should be a quota of the amount of candidates that can go forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Went down to 5 on the list of councillors, and I knew nothing good about any of the Dublin EU candadites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

orm0nd wrote: »
    yeah , there was no lead left in my pencil by the time I got down as far as Wallace :D

I voted for Wallace- he got my no 23. :)

I looked at the ballot papers last night. Big help when I went in today.
    Green party seem to be doing well. Is that good for farmers?

I voted Mairead mc Guinness, we know her.
    Luke ming Flanagan, I think he's good for rural Ireland number 2 and can't remember number 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I made a boo boo. No one to blame only myself. In my ignorance I thought Offaly was in the Midlands. Not South. When I saw the candidates I hardly recognised any of them . I'd checked out the wrong set beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I threw the Greens a few votes down the line.

The sooner we end this bog cutting madness and money making scams with lumps in fertilizer bags the better.
    Cant they plant a few trees like us southeasteners!!
    Boggers for your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

I threw the Greens a few votes down the line.

The sooner we end this bog cutting madness and money making scams with lumps in fertilizer bags the better.
    Cant they plant a few trees like us southeasteners!!
    Boggers for your life.

Hon Ming #1 ☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Hon Ming #1 ☺

He'd sell his soul for a lump of turf.. :)

Campaigning for payments to landowners for carbon sequestration on one hand and in the other hand campaigning for turf cutters status quo harvesting fossil fuels.
    Money and votes in both hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

The length of the ballot paper in Ireland South was unreal
    You could heist it on a flag pole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Drove home from Longford this evening to vote and the local & EU ballot papers was like stripping toilet roll off the holder when you had the runs ;)

• Advertisement

The other thing that really struck me today was alphabetical order isn't exactly fair. Grand if you are an Adams or a Brennan but poor Wallace down at the end. Will Jennifer Zamparelli ever run?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Yeah - I had looked up the local crowd, so had half an idea of who to vote for...

But forgot to look up the European candidates, so didn’t have a clue about who to vote for...

Gave some ones 1 - 3 anyways, can’t even remember who now... bit annoyed with myself I didn’t put in a bit of research to be honest :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Hon Ming #1 ☺

He could do with valeting the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The only one sure of a seat in Ireland South at this point is Sean Kelly. It will be really interesting esp the application of PR and what votes are distributed.
    For example SK's surplus may not be distributed until later in the counts, if his surplus would not able to elect the next highest candidate, TMK.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

And it's going to take 120 people all day tomorrow to sort the votes and make sure that they are valid. They can't start counting until after 10 oclock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I looked at the ballot papers last night. Big help when I went in today.Green party seem to be doing well. Is that good for farmers?

That would be a definitive no ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

gozunda wrote: »

I still remember them preaching that Diesel cars were the saviour of the universe.

A few years later and they're criticising the government for promoting Diesel cars...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

Water charges, diesel is kaput and Leitrim and vast areas of Ireland will be planted with Sitka spruce.
    I walked the farm and counted the number of trees that grow along the ditches I’ve more than enough for Phil Hogan’s planting of an hectare.
    Ming was right when he said our buffoons should include hedgerows in our count for afforestation in Europe.

In fairness though the majority of farmers have no interest in saving their environment.
    They'd rather drink Mcpa and eat 18.6.12.

"Shur wasn't it the other fella that told me to do it".

Ella McSweeney is on Radio one in a few minutes about soil health.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

It would be a shame to lose ming to a lovely bottom winner!

• Advertisement

In fairness though the majority of farmers have no interest in saving their environment.They'd rather drink Mcpa and eat 18.6.12."Shur wasn't it the other fella that told me to do it".Ella McSweeney is on Radio one in a few minutes about soil health.

In 'fairness' that's bollocks and I'd strongly disagree. You're welcome to your opinion all the same.

But hey lets not talk about the 'greens'. There's nothing so sanctimonious as reformed whores. If they had their way we'd be all eating imported tofu and wearing sackcloth, while they fly to some environmental conference about dolphins in Bali. But hey there you go.

In 'fairness' that's bollocks and I'd strongly disagree. You're welcome to your opinion all the same.

But hey lets not talk about the 'greens'. There's nothing so sanctimonious as reformed whores. If they had their way we'd be all eating imported tofu and wearing sackcloth.

How many on here spray off pasture with glyphosate and feed the grass or meadow to their stock. And wonder why their spending more and more on dosing and vaccines.
    But these are the progressive farmers...
    That ain't opinion, we're being preached that it's the way to follow.

Nobody takes responsibility for their actions or thinks about possible consequences anymore. I suppose it'll be the Greens that'll ruin farming in this country in years to come.

How many on here spray off pasture with glyphosate and feed the grass or meadow to their stock. And wonder why their spending more and more on dosing and vaccines.But these are the progressive farmers...That ain't opinion, we're being preached that it's the way to follow.
    Nobody takes responsibility for their actions or thinks about possible consequences anymore. I suppose it'll be the Greens that'll ruin farming in this country in years to come.

The question posed was whether the greens doing well, would it be good for farming. The answer remains no.

Regardless of the eejits looking to get a soft comfy seat under their rearends - it looks like the use of glyphosate is becoming restricted and that includes your average Joe soap using it to kill their weedy lawn, a farmer using it on fields or the county council spraying grass verges. Whatever you do or do not think - don't conflate politics with populist opinion and the greenthink movement.

Some of the tweets on this lot say it all lol

https://twitter.com/Sarklor/status/1132050810991448065?s=20

https://twitter.com/garyjmurphy1/status/1132154670716248064?s=20

Easy wind you up Gozunda. :p

Easy wind you up Gozunda. :p

You're as deep as a puddle Say my name. :D
    I saw this shower of ***** out the first time. ;)

:D....It was more of a rhetorical question. Ironic, as we are one of the greenest countries on the planet.

We had a family mass last night so we were all gathered in one house after for tea telling stories. Anyway my Dad was saying how James, his father, got very into holy relics/prayer books etc that would arrive in the post in his later years. He's read through them all, fill out his form & post off a fiver or a tenner or whatever was needed to get his subscription. One evening Dad got him to sign stuff for the headage and all was stuffed into an envelope & posted off.
    Came back a couple of weeks later & my Aunt was there while James was opening the big brown envelope to see if all was ok. And right on top of the application was one of his holy relics. Had been mixed up in the sheets when sending off so fair play, they sent it back. Only James got the wrong end of the stick & says to Auntie, oh bejaney, they're even sending out the prayers to us now:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

daughter is away for weekend at Spice Girls hoolely

we're baby dog sitting her latest acquisition , a german shepherd that apparently cost the guts of €1K. :eek::eek:

Dog was left in the porch last night and about 3 am the howling started.

Don't care how valuable the fecker is , he's going to a shed in the yard to night.

2019 will be the first year that May finishes in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

The other thing that really struck me today was alphabetical order isn't exactly fair. Grand if you are an Adams or a Brennan but poor Wallace down at the end. Will Jennifer Zamparelli ever run?:D

I agree. There are a number of redesigns that would be fairer......

Like why not orientate ballot paper 90 degrees so all candidates are in a line left to right? Even if alphabetical order was followed, it would still have candidates on the same level.

Or perhaps ballot papers could be a disc with each candidate in an equal sized segment (with pic orientated so chin is facing the centre)? Again even if alphabetical order was followed there's no start, middle or end. Everyone would be on an even footing.

Saying that l still managed to find Maria.... and give her 1! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement