Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

whelan2 wrote: »
    We were moving and dosing cattle this morning. There was a beeping noise, was driving me mad. Wasn't all the time. Thought it was my phone, thought it was my dad's phone or neighbours automatic gates or the jeep. Finally realised my dad had the keyring fence tester in his pocket. He couldn't hear it as his hearing isn't great.

It's like all the older people with bad hearing wearing out clutches in cars, cause they can't hear the engine revving when taking off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

We were moving and dosing cattle this morning. There was a beeping noise, was driving me mad. Wasn't all the time. Thought it was my phone, thought it was my dad's phone or neighbours automatic gates or the jeep. Finally realised my dad had the keyring fence tester in his pocket. He couldn't hear it as his hearing isn't great.

As you get older, you don’t hear higher pitches sounds, it’s a natural thing...

Someone saw an opportunity a while back, and made a yoke that emits a high pitched noise that only young people can hear, older people can’t... :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Hey lads & lassies! Ye will all be delighted to hear that I finally got my red angus home!!!! Only trouble is she brought a cow/calf combo with her and now we have to catch THEM and return to their home! Also, because she has been in a field with a bull I have to wait to make sure she is not in calf before I sell her - life is sooooooo complicated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

I predict here and now that’s she’s in calf which means itl make it harder for you to sell her!! They are sly like that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I found that not giving the guarantee made no diff to the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

KatyMac wrote: »
    Hey lads & lassies! Ye will all be delighted to hear that I finally got my red angus home!!!! Only trouble is she brought a cow/calf combo with her and now we have to catch THEM and return to their home! Also, because she has been in a field with a bull I have to wait to make sure she is not in calf before I sell her - life is sooooooo complicated :)

Good, at least the hardest part is over.

Better to be safe than sorry, check with your Vet to find out should you give "Estrumate", with a follow up on a repeat of Estrumate to solve this issue. Sooner the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Was on to vet yesterday. He said wait about 10/12 days and he gave me the injection for her - so now will be in field constantly watching. She is probably in calf just to really annoy me although I think originally it was an older cow that was due to be bulled that brought all with her as she ploughed through the fence. Cow did exactly the same last year and had a lovely charolais calf for her trouble, so I am expecting the same for next! If this eejit of a heifer wasn't such an eejit I would probably have kept her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

I've noticed a good few rabbits around lately, I haven't seen anything like it since before myxomatosis wiped out most of them. They seem to be making a bit of a comeback.
    Ive also noticed more bees around this season.
    In one of my earliest memories I recall seeing cocks of hay being made and seeing a bee hive in a stone ditch.
    I hadn't seen a similar one in 30 years until this week.
    Its the opposite for the corncrake. In one of the last Irish strongholds, they have taken a big hit. I usually hear them all around here but not this year.
    I did hear of some freak weather conditions affecting their migratory paths but I've no idea if this is true.

So I’m trying to get a cow to foster a second calf. The calf has drank off the cow around 9 times now. Every single time she has crapped on him at least once if not twice-it’s her form of a dirty protest!! Yesterday I waited for her to go then put her head in the gate and then she went again!! Poor calf has a perpetually crappy head!! I think I’ve only had it happen once before but this poor calf is not happy with life!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

On the topic of sucking, I see one of the TVR twins has done a switcheroo & is sucking a the while CH mother. Navarin was her dam sire so that's possibly the reason. Counted it up the other day & more than half our cows are directly related back to Navarin :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Going to Lepto vaccinate the breeding stock.
    One cow is not due for 2 weeks.
    Would I be alright to vaccinate now too or should I start her when giving the rest the second shot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Going to Lepto vaccinate the breeding stock.
    One cow is not due for 2 weeks.
    Would I be alright to vaccinate now too or should I start her when giving the rest the second shot?

I believe Leptavoid-H inj has to be administered 3 weeks prior to conception, SprioVac inj can be given any time of the year, whether pregnant or not.

I believe Leptavoid-H inj has to be administered 3 weeks prior to conception, SprioVac inj can be given any time of the year, whether pregnant or not.

Thanks it’s Spriovac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭148multi

On the topic of sucking, I see one of the TVR twins has done a switcheroo & is sucking a the while CH mother. Navarin was her dam sire so that's possibly the reason. Counted it up the other day & more than half our cows are directly related back to Navarin :eek:
    He breed great tidy cows with a nice pot of milk and tough (in a good way).

• Advertisement

148multi wrote: »
    He breed great tidy cows with a nice pot of milk and tough (in a good way).

Found a few of them had bad lack legs but other than that were super.
    Spent the day powerwashing here, raining all day so nothing much else to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Here’s a stupid question.

Has anyone seen figures comparing commercial sales of roundup to sales to non professional users??

Just wondering how it compares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Youngest lad in primary school has a week's mid term break starting today. This week annoys me every year....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

Youngest lad in primary school has a week's mid term break starting today. This week annoys me every year....

Free labour 👌

My overly friendly heifer/ cow calved today. I’m scratching my head over the daddy’s identity but looks like it must have been one of the foster calves. It’s an unbelievable calf thou- real bulls head on him and good shape. So that’s two class bulls before she hits 29months!!

• Advertisement

L1985 wrote: »
    My overly friendly heifer/ cow calved today. I’m scratching my head over the daddy’s identity but looks like it must have been one of the foster calves. It’s an unbelievable calf thou- real bulls head on him and good shape. So that’s two class bulls before she hits 29months!!

Sounds like a great suckler cow

Ill take a photo tomorrow and try figure out how to post it! But she is very small prob only 450 or maybe 500kilos!! Her calf last year is already bigger then her! She calved both completely on her own as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭148multi

Ill take a photo tomorrow and try figure out how to post it! But she is very small prob only 450 or maybe 500kilos!! Her calf last year is already bigger then her! She calved both completely on her own as well!

Probably the best description of the most profitable suckler cow, and Teagasc have spent years trying to find her, you're entitled to a hefty grant and recognition for your years of research 🀑🀑🀑

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

****ing rain has come at the exact wrong time. Was due to knock the silage this week but the bloody weather has fecked it up. Not a dry day in sight either :(

Well done her (and you!)

Always like to let heifers calve on their own here, if they manage it themselves the first year they'll usually carry on doing it by themselves.
    Had an ex who decided to check a heifer for me, told him to not pull the calf & watched him do exactly that on the camera. Christ I gave him some bollocking after that. :pac:

Emmm tbf I saw her lying down at the end of a field for the first one and decided to keep walking to check other cattle as I’d be back in 20 mins and see how she was going-calf was on the ground. I was full sure that one would be a section. Then this one I thought she might go for another week(didn’t know her due dates) and found the calf up drinking her in the morning! I rarely pull unless I think something is wrong anyway but she wasn’t even giving me the option!! Very obliging lady-and I’d get nothing for her in the mart! Goes to show!

This is good. Amish farmers in the U.S.
    The bale loader is something else.
    No remapping required.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=397131847548339&id=264534474141411&anchor_composer=false

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

This is good. Amish farmers in the U.S.
    The bale loader is something else.
    No remapping required.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=397131847548339&id=264534474141411&anchor_composer=false

Only a matter of time before one of them figures out to tie a horse into the front of a tractor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Well done her (and you!)

Always like to let heifers calve on their own here, if they manage it themselves the first year they'll usually carry on doing it by themselves.
    Had an ex who decided to check a heifer for me, told him to not pull the calf & watched him do exactly that on the camera. Christ I gave him some bollocking after that. :pac:

Poor chap was probably only trying to impress you...

Poor chap was probably only trying to impress you...

That's probable:D but it backfired on him fairly spectacularly. He not only went against both my fathers wishes & my own, but claimed the calf was in difficulty & he had to pull it when he got back to the house. Informed him that I'd seen him walk in & pull it on the camera, reddened his face fairly quick :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Well done her (and you!)

is that who i think it was :p

Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Quick question.....does anyone know if there is a minimum age to give calves the Blackleg vaccine. I am going to do the stronger calves tomorrow for the second time and I was thinking of giving the calves that were born this week their first shot while I had a fresh bottle open.
    Will it do any harm or will it just be a waste of time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Parishlad wrote: »
    Quick question.....does anyone know if there is a minimum age to give calves the Blackleg vaccine. I am going to do the stronger calves tomorrow for the second time and I was thinking of giving the calves that were born this week their first shot while I had a fresh bottle open.

It does say on here for Tribovax 10 -

4.4 Special warnings for each target species

The effectiveness of the vaccine in providing passive immunity to young lambs and calves depends on these animals

ingesting adequate amounts of colostrum on the first day of life.

Clinical trials have demonstrated that the presence of maternal antibodies (MDA), particularly against
    C. tetani, C.

novyi

type B, C. perfringens type A (calves only), C. chauvoei (lambs only) and C. perfringens type D may reduce the

antibody response to vaccination in young lambs and calves. Therefore, to ensure an optimal response in young

animals with high levels of MDA, the primary vaccination should be delayed until the levels wane (which is after about

8-12 weeks of age, see section 4.2).

https://www.hpra.ie/img/uploaded/swedocuments/LicenseSPC_10996-259-001_13062014115045.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Just back in the door from trip to Scotland, eldest was in international swim competition and we made a wee holiday when we were there.

Holy moly serious grass growth here in the six days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

More of a sheepman by any chance:confused:?:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Parishlad wrote: »

Calves won't have much of an immune system until about 4 months- another reason to delay vaccination. It's a sore jab to get, there's no way I'd suggest vaccinating calves that young.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

It does say on here for Tribovax 10 -

4.4 Special warnings for each target species

The effectiveness of the vaccine in providing passive immunity to young lambs and calves depends on these animals

ingesting adequate amounts of colostrum on the first day of life.

Clinical trials have demonstrated that the presence of maternal antibodies (MDA), particularly against
    C. tetani, C.

novyi

type B, C. perfringens type A (calves only), C. chauvoei (lambs only) and C. perfringens type D may reduce the

antibody response to vaccination in young lambs and calves. Therefore, to ensure an optimal response in young

animals with high levels of MDA, the primary vaccination should be delayed until the levels wane (which is after about

8-12 weeks of age, see section 4.2).

https://www.hpra.ie/img/uploaded/swedocuments/LicenseSPC_10996-259-001_13062014115045.pdf

Thanks Patsy. I’ll hold off on the youngest for a while so.

Quick question
    If we move our Mortgage to a different provider we will save €30 per month
    Has anyone moved their mortgage?
    Is there much cost / hassle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

A little lucky cow. The best sort

Just back from a friend's funeral.
    Very sad. They were hit in the head by a tennis ball. :(
    It was a lovely service though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Jesus that was a freak thing. Life is an invisible tightrope. And that’s how we function from day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Just back from a friend's funeral.
    Very sad. They were hit in the head by a tennis ball. :(
    It was a lovely service though.

Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Was there a few drinks afterwards, or just juice?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Was there a few drinks afterwards, or just juice?

And strawberries and cream.

• Advertisement

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Seriously?

No.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Was there a few drinks afterwards?

Has this died out?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dodo mommy

MeTheMan wrote: »
    It's a awful small amount of chemical. Something like 50ml of gallop an acre if my maths hold up. That's why I was a bit worried.

The licker is a C-dax Eliminator. I think it's a better design then the carpet roller ones. It gives more surface area, spaced out so the rushes can flick through and the rushes at the back of the clump get hit aswell. I think with the carpet ones there is one straight surface that tends to push the rushes over and the rushes at the back of the clump don't get hit.

As for time I'm not 100% sure. It's slow enough. I was listening to the "Growing a Revolution" audio book for some of it and I'm 3 hours in on that. I'd say around 5 hours in total. Sun was out and I was learning, so happy out. Would have loved cruise control on the quad tho!
    I could be fluent in French or Spanish by the time all is licked and topped. :)

*edit* just the one pass.

Something awful satisfying about killing rushes. This is a bit of ground that had a good few in it last year. Topped them, fertilised and sprayed the regrowth after 5 or 6 weeks and it's like a different bit of ground this year.
    Iooks like you got a great kill on the rushes what did you use on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Four chinooks flying in formation over the house an hour ago. Pretty cool. Prepping for POTUS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Four chinooks flying in formation over the house an hour ago. Pretty cool. Prepping for POTUS.

Not the time to be out for a shot at a grey-crow or a pigeon! :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement