Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Did ours today too,

Sheared here today as well... glad to get it done, can’t ever enjoy the fine weather somehow without the shearing done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There a fine even looking bunch of ewes Buford, what's the breeding behind them? We've only a small flock and there's a mix of everything from buying bundles in the mart. I think having a uniform ewe type would mean more even type lambs that would sell better.

Thanks Albert. If by even bunch, you mean 20kgs too heavy then they're very even:pac:

They're about 75% Belclare, 25% Vendeen and the lambs are all 50% Ile De France. Trying to find a breed to knock a bit of size off the ewes while still being able to lamb naturally out of season is still ongoing:rolleyes:

Sheared here today as well... glad to get it done, can’t ever enjoy the fine weather somehow without the shearing done :)

I hear ya!

Once the first cut is in and ewes sheared, the rest of the year is all downhill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Cut 32 acres yesterday. Was the only spell I could see where I'd a chance of getting in and out before rain today. Took into it at 11am and had it all down at 9 last night. Doesn't sound like great going I know, but the biggest field was 8ac and that was even an awkward shape. Nevertheless, all cut and I was very content. I'd done my usual "how wet is the tyre test" and to be honest, when I started it was fairly wet, but by evening things were grand. I had the mower set up arse ways and it didn't do a great job on it. Feck it anyway. And the auld lad probably thinks the reason is cos I cut on a Sunday!

Up this morning then to rake it in. About 20ac could have done with another day to dry. Butt was a bit ****e to be honest. The rest was in nice order. Raked away till near 3pm and the balers had arrived around an hour earlier. 4 of them. They were only here a couple of hours and had it all wrapped up. Last baler that was there had 4 bales to do when it started raining. 384 bales lying around the place now. Holy moses! Some crop of stuff.

Now for the craic of moving it. 90 delivered so far. Back at it at daylight. But now, time for a pint. Don't get away from the Mrs or baby too often so ya gotta make the most of these chances :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Ile De France aren't a breed I'd have any experience of although the lambs seem to be doing the business. As for trying to perfect the ewe type I'm still to meet anyone who has perfected it and the constant strive for improvement is half the fun imo. I think a hilltex ewe out of a good sized horny is the best sheep for my set up, although herself reckons there little better than goats in both looks and temperament. Having said that she made a rare excursion to a sheep sale on a recent day off and added a Jacob and Zwartble to the flock.

Don't mention the year going downhill already, the winter is only just over and I'm already being told the best part of the year is gone. Having said that I always considered the Autumn a better time of year here in the West. In a good year I can keep the stock out until near Xmas where as in the spring turnout is always after May day regardless of the weather. I understand that grass is of more nutritional value in the spring but only if it can be grazed without recreating a miniature replica of the battle of the Somme.

• Advertisement

Ile De France aren't a breed I'd have any experience of although the lambs seem to be doing the business. As for trying to perfect the ewe type I'm still to meet anyone who has perfected it and the constant strive for improvement is half the fun imo. I think a hilltex ewe out of a good sized horny is the best sheep for my set up, although herself reckons there little better than goats in both looks and temperament. Having said that she made a rare excursion to a sheep sale on a recent day off and added a Jacob and Zwartble to the flock.

Don't mention the year going downhill already, the winter is only just over and I'm already being told the best part of the year is gone. Having said that I always considered the Autumn a better time of year here in the West. In a good year I can keep the stock out until near Xmas where as in the spring turnout is always after May day regardless of the weather. I understand that grass is of more nutritional value in the spring but only if it can be grazed without recreating a miniature replica of the battle of the Somme.
    The IDF are very uncommon, only one breeder in the south on Kilkenny. Lovely sheep to lamb and very vigorous once out of the ewe. And they're hardy which is a big plus for me. I'm going to have to move my ram on this year but I'm very happy with him and his lambs. All his ewe lambs lambed down this year, some a bit later than I'd like but the last few Belclares I had were struggling to reach 75% lambing down. And I hate lambing hoggets :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Vigorous lambs are a must personally as I hate messing with lambs that won't suck and have no self preservation instinct. I can live with sheep that are somewhat energetic as it usually means lambs that possess a similar get up and go. Although the better half informs me that a Valais blacknosed is going to be the next addition to the flock so perhaps she is coming around to the idea of horned sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Cut 32 acres yesterday. Was the only spell I could see where I'd a chance of getting in and out before rain today. Took into it at 11am and had it all down at 9 last night. Doesn't sound like great going I know, but the biggest field was 8ac and that was even an awkward shape. Nevertheless, all cut and I was very content. I'd done my usual "how wet is the tyre test" and to be honest, when I started it was fairly wet, but by evening things were grand. I had the mower set up arse ways and it didn't do a great job on it. Feck it anyway. And the auld lad probably thinks the reason is cos I cut on a Sunday!

Up this morning then to rake it in. About 20ac could have done with another day to dry. Butt was a bit ****e to be honest. The rest was in nice order. Raked away till near 3pm and the balers had arrived around an hour earlier. 4 of them. They were only here a couple of hours and had it all wrapped up. Last baler that was there had 4 bales to do when it started raining. 384 bales lying around the place now. Holy moses! Some crop of stuff.

Now for the craic of moving it. 90 delivered so far. Back at it at daylight. But now, time for a pint. Don't get away from the Mrs or baby too often so ya gotta make the most of these chances :D
    That slurry tanker is after paying for itself now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Good man Rooster.. just finished gathering 77 bales off 5 acres here myself, cut on sat, tedded this morn and wrapped around 5pm...very heavy should have been cut a week ago but for the weather.... but at least we got it in reasonable shape...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

The sound of that rain off the plastic today must be music to your ears!

Hasn't been many windows of opportunity. It's been breezy when not drizzling which is only saving grace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Muckit wrote: »

Hasn't been many windows of opportunity. It's been breezy when not drizzling which is only saving grace.
    Covering our pit now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anyone know if Ennis Mart is closed this week for the Trump visit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Anyone know if Ennis Mart is closed this week for the Trump visit?

Do you have any prize Angus breeding stock for sale ?. Trump's agent may want to add to his herd.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/beef/pedigree/watch-as-trumps-ag-advisor-buys-the-worlds-most-expensive-bull-37808438.html

"long bodied, thick, square-hipped, deep and massive with a sound structure"

Do you have any prize Angus breeding stock for sale ?. Trump's agent may want to add to his herd.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/beef/pedigree/watch-as-trumps-ag-advisor-buys-the-worlds-most-expensive-bull-37808438.html

I was thinking more along the lines of Patsy wanting to get his picture taken with Trump in the Mart. ;)

That agricultural advisor of his has links of dealings with Russia long before Trumps election.
    People should perhaps keep more an eye of developments in agriculture it might save a bit of investigation later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

That agricultural advisor of his has links of dealings with Russia long before Trumps election.
    People should perhaps keep more an eye of developments in agriculture it might save a bit of investigation later on.[/QUOTE]

You could be right ! The mind boggles with possibilities.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/offbeat/whale-found-in-harness-may-have-been-trained-by-russian-military-1.3875089

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭davidk1394

. My niece who was just finished work in a near by pub brought his older brother home.

Unfortunately she saw too much and is badly upset after the night. We’re doing whatever we can to help her.

I think we all should watch out for each other and it doesn’t do any harm to ask how a person is. I’ve seen the grief it causes a family both directly and indirectly and I wouldn’t like to happen to anyone else. As the saying goes “a permanent solution to a temporary problem”

I was thinking more along the lines of Patsy wanting to get his picture taken with Trump in the Mart. ;)

Have me hat got and all !!

CD3E9C5A-5C10-4941-8190-38E43544EAB5-e1542660079344.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote: »
    Covering our pit now.

Did you get rain? Didn't get rain here until eight last night. Constant since?

Just saw a double lorry heading west with 6 covered golf carts. Wonder where they're going? :cool:

visatorro wrote: »
    Did you get rain? Didn't get rain here until eight last night. Constant since?

Starting raining at 7 am here. They finished drawing in at 1am. Covered pit at 10 am. Couldn't believe it was still dry when I got up this morning.

• Advertisement

Just saw a double lorry heading west with 6 covered golf carts. Wonder where they're going? :cool:

They are Clare atvs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Muckit wrote: »

Yeah lucky... took a gamble but worked out.... twud be in some miserable state now if we hadn't wrapped up.... constant rain since 9am here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

i feel sorry for the snipers that are going to be hiding in the bunkers

ganmo wrote: »
    i feel sorry for the snipers that are going to be hiding in the bunkers

They get paid extra to throw the ball onto the greens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

davidk1394 wrote: »
    . My niece who was just finished work in a near by pub brought his older brother home.

Unfortunately she saw too much and is badly upset after the night. We’re doing whatever we can to help her.

I think we all should watch out for each other and it doesn’t do any harm to ask how a person is. I’ve seen the grief it causes a family both directly and indirectly and I wouldn’t like to happen to anyone else. As the saying goes “a permanent solution to a temporary problem”

get your niece referred to a counsellor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭emaherx

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Yeah lucky... took a gamble but worked out.... twud be in some miserable state now if we hadn't wrapped up.... constant rain since 9am here

Same here, mowed Saturday baled yesterday seen very little rain until last couple of bales were being wrapped, hasn't stopped raining since.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Just a quick one, would a 10 x 5 livestock trailer hold 3 700kg cows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Good point Ormond, early intervention is important.

Water John wrote: »
    Good point Ormond, early intervention is important.
    From recent experience you'd be better off going private for a counsellor atm. Waiting time are cruel in the public health system, which is very wrong imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

josephsoap wrote: »
    Just a quick one, would a 10 x 5 livestock trailer hold 3 700kg cows?

Be awful tight.. they'd want to be agreeable to even get them loaded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

_Brian wrote: »
    Be awful tight.. they'd want to be agreeable to even get them loaded

I put in three friesan cows into my 10 x 5. It's tight enough. And they wouldn't be 700 kg.
    I wouldn't be afraid to make two runs!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

davidk1394 wrote: »
    My niece who was just finished work in a near by pub brought his older brother home.

Mind her. I have seen a few cases like this and its not easy unseeing them.

Best of luck to anyone sitting exams. Daughter starting the junior cert today.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Best of luck to anyone sitting exams. Daughter starting the junior cert today.

Good luck to her.
    Eldest is working with examiners, sitting outside exam room door reading a book.

_Brian wrote: »
    Good luck to her.
    Eldest is working with examiners, sitting outside exam room door reading a book.

https://youtu.be/sBIt90OiqlQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Put in a lot of mileage iver the last few days and when i eventually got a decent radio signal on the 4th day they were discussing glyphosate and how the first australian court case against monsanto is taking place. Obviously because of the min till systems used here if glyphosate is banned i reckon all of western australia at the least if not other regions will have to give up farming altogether. Do ye reckon its only a matter of time before theres a case taken in ireland? The host stated the epa and their equivilant have signed off on glyphosate being safe for the environment and not being carcinogenic to humans either, but the case is being taken up by a gardener who says there was not enough safety warnings on the cans! It was said it was marketed so much as safe out here that back at their version of the ploughing a sales rep drank a shot of it to show how safe it was percieved to be. Would ye reckon its the gardeners own fault for being negligent using a herbicide and not thinking he should be wearing some protection from it? Another texter text in to the show as well saying "the public will just have to decide whether they want to die of starvation or die of cancer" which is a terrible way to look at things.
    What do ye make of it?
    I personally avoid handling chemicals where possible due to a relative having non hodgkins lymphona which she believes was due to exposure to chemicals in her youth on a farm in the states, however im all for using it as needed in farming but i wouldnt handle it myself if at all possible. Ill try find a link to the show after.

Better living everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I think the insecticides are going to prove to be the most potent. The glyphosate is getting a lot of airtime but it appears to be one of the safest provided common sense is use.. the problem is common sense has taken leave in the world it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Upstream

Obviously because of the min till systems used here if glyphosate is banned i reckon all of western australia at the least if not other regions will have to give up farming altogether.

There are some growers in Western Australia not using glyphosate or other chemicals, and doing really well.

Check out Ian and Diane Haggerty's farm. They are doing min till grains with sheep and cattle. Their main fertilizer is compost tea and worm castings to improve the soil biology. Their yields are lower than conventional agriculture (except in drought years when they are about the same), but their profit levels are much higher, and they are building soil fertility year on year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Willfarman wrote: »
    the problem is common sense has taken leave in the world it seems.

Amen to that. People are getting stupider all the time, and there's a serious culture of nothing is ever the persons fault and someone else is to blame. Add int he entitlement culture and I fear for humanity

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Trump has landed folks. Get your hat out Patsy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

It was said it was marketed so much as safe out here that back at their version of the ploughing a sales rep drank a shot of it to show how safe it was percieved to be.
    They need to find that lad and see how is now

Bullocks wrote: »
    They need to find that lad and see how is now

Reminds me of this idiot
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn8k89T982Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

ganmo wrote: »

Jeez don't we've a competition going on here with America.

Especially after Michael D put the cat among the pigeons.

Trumps response: "We have the cleanest air in the world in the United States and it has gotten better since I became President. We have the cleanest water, it's crystal clean water and air, so I haven't heard his comments, but we're setting records environmentally".

So in the name of God don't a farmer spread slurry in Clare..

Trumps response: "We have the cleanest air in the world in the United States and it has gotten better since I became President. We have the cleanest water, it's crystal clean water and air, so I haven't heard his comments, but we're setting records environmentally".

Reminds me of when the CEO of the multinational I worked in visited, everywhere was cleaned and painted within an inch of its life..

At an "informal" lunch someone asked him what he thought of our facility compared to others round the world, "just the same really, smells like fresh paint everywhere I go".. Fair play, showed a bit of a sense of humor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Put in a lot of mileage iver the last few days and when i eventually got a decent radio signal on the 4th day they were discussing glyphosate and how the first australian court case against monsanto is taking place. Obviously because of the min till systems used here if glyphosate is banned i reckon all of western australia at the least if not other regions will have to give up farming altogether. Do ye reckon its only a matter of time before theres a case taken in ireland? The host stated the epa and their equivilant have signed off on glyphosate being safe for the environment and not being carcinogenic to humans either, but the case is being taken up by a gardener who says there was not enough safety warnings on the cans! It was said it was marketed so much as safe out here that back at their version of the ploughing a sales rep drank a shot of it to show how safe it was percieved to be. Would ye reckon its the gardeners own fault for being negligent using a herbicide and not thinking he should be wearing some protection from it? Another texter text in to the show as well saying "the public will just have to decide whether they want to die of starvation or die of cancer" which is a terrible way to look at things.
    What do ye make of it?
    I personally avoid handling chemicals where possible due to a relative having non hodgkins lymphona which she believes was due to exposure to chemicals in her youth on a farm in the states, however im all for using it as needed in farming but i wouldnt handle it myself if at all possible. Ill try find a link to the show after.

At the rate MCPA is turning up in water supplies around the country, it could be banned in many watershed before Roundup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Oh Dear - I'm afraid the Great Lakes are more "Green"(and not in a good way) these days. And as for the Missisippi................

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Oh Dear - I'm afraid the Great Lakes are more "Green"(and not in a good way) these days. And as for the Missisippi................

Say nothing.

Ah he's a gas card.

Till he goes to war with Iran to prove how great America is on the world stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Have couple cattle to dehorn would it be bad time to do it with flys n insects?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's the thundery weather I would be wary of, really drives the flies. Treat them all for flies and spray the horn roots.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement