Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

marathon wrote: »
    Have couple cattle to dehorn would it be bad time to do it with flys n insects?

Between the rain and the cold here this evening there's not too many flys about, the forecast predicts much of the same for the next few days here in the West. If the weather stays as predicted then I don't see a problem with dehorning them provided there done right.

Skulling is an art and if done properly shouldn't cause any major ill effects. It's amazing all the stock you see with either only the tips of the horns cut or half the head gone, either look makes a hoor of a beast imo. Do a nice tidy job, cauterize the veins if necessary, apply spray and some pour on/Stockholm tar to the poll of the head and keep an eye on them for the first few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭The Rabbi

Have couple cattle to dehorn would it be bad time to do it with flys n insects?

The rain and cold can be very hard on them if you are skulling them.They wont really scab over with the wet.It might be better to keep them indoors if possible.A cool shady shed will also reduce the number of flies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

African swine fever outbreak in Poland.

https://twitter.com/rko2milk/status/1136408087932407808?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I see the national press has latched onto the story of Rickard Donovan, Ballymore, Co.Wexford.

For anyone that never heard about his life. He was one of the main planners of the D day landings.

https://www.irishfamilyhistorycentre.com/article/rickard-donovan-the-role-of-a-wexford-man-in-d-day-6-june-1944-2

But for many farmers in Wexford he was known as one of the founders of Wexford Farmers Coop.

My father tells a tale of Richard (as he was known around here) taking off his two wooden legs and climbing a beam across the weighing scales in the Mart to wire it up.

Another one of one of the Mart wag workers proclaiming that there was a fire overnight and Richard was burnt to the ground. A joke of course.

Commander Rickard Charlie Donovan, RN, CBE. (1898 - 1952).

Deepest Apologies to everyone reading this.

It seems Richard and Rickard are two different people.
    They both came from the same place and both lived interesting lives.
    I'm not sure of the relationship between the two but here's an account of Richard's life.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/enniscorthyguardian/news/late-richard-donovan-was-a-tireless-community-worker-27215826.html

Apologies. Apologies..

Edit: I'm guessing Richard is Rickards son.
    Maybe Willfarman would know more?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Couple questions. I measured out farmyard to concrete it’s 94 feet by 73 feet what thickness shud I have it? There only be cattle and small tractor on it? And how much cubic meters in a load of concrete? Roughly how much a load concrete?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I'm making it 65m3 if 4" thickness.
    81m3 if 5" thickness.

Not sure on going rate per m3. But interested to find out as have some to do myself.

Muckit wrote: »
    81m3 if 5" thickness.

Not sure on going rate per m3. But interested to find out as have some to do myself.

Will post here I’ll be ringing around tomorrow

So would 4 inches be enough? As I said no big machinery on it at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

4 inches is never enough, I don’t care who says it is:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Go six. Repairing concrete is a hoor of a job.

Odelay wrote: »
    Go six. Repairing concrete is a hoor of a job.

And a little bit of light mesh and expansion joints cut after. And pipes put down for future developments, water, electricity, electric fence, etc.

Haven't a clue about cost per cu m.

If one wants to feel like an ant!!

20190606-200503.jpg

20190606-200702.jpg

20190606-201716.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

A large load of concrete would be approx 8 - 9 cubic metres...price per cubic meter around €90..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

https://keohanereadymix.com/concrete-calculator/ provide a useful calculator.

Text below is extracted from this link
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/farmbuildings/farmbuildingspecifications/pdfversions/S129Jan2016040116.pdf

11. CONCRETE TO YARDS AND ROADS

11.1 Preparation of Site
    Remove all topsoil and soft material to a minimum depth of 150mm or down to a solid stratum and dispose off-site. Lay hardcore and compact in 150mm layers using a suitable vibrating or heavy roller. Consolidation with wheeled or tracked plant is not adequate. The area shall be blinded over with sand or lean mix concrete. Gradients shall correspond to these required in the finished paving. It is recommended that light gauge polythene sheet is placed under the concrete slab. In cases where fill is purchased for use under concrete, it shall be certified to EN 13242:2013 and meet the requirements of Annex E of S.R. 21: 2015. This material shall also be used as the top 300mm of any backfill around stanchion foundations.

11.2 Thickness of Concrete

Thickness of concrete shall not be less than 125mm at any point. Particular care shall be taken to maintain the thickness under dished channels. Where concrete paved areas are subject to heavy mechanised traffic, reinforced paving should be provided. The design should meet the requirements of specific loading. In the absence of specific design data A393 mesh to BS 4483 [10mm @ 200mm centres: 6.16kg/m2 ] shall be placed 40mm below the finished paved surface.

11.3 Placing of Concrete

Strong formwork shall be accurately levelled and fixed to the correct falls for the site and to the predetermined drainage points. Concrete shall be placed in alternate bays not more than 4.5m wide and 6.0m long where there is no fibre additive and not more than 8m long where there is fibre additive. In the case of mesh reinforced paving joint spacing can be extended to 12m by 8m. Alternatively, for larger areas, it is more efficient to lay the concrete in alternate continuous strips 3m to 4m wide with a contraction joint at 5m intervals and in line with joints in adjacent bays, if possible. The contraction point shall be formed by using a 6mm steel bar to press a 100mm wide polythene strip into the freshly laid concrete, see Figures 10 and 11. Expansion joints shall be provided where the area of concrete is large (more than 90m in any direction). A 12mm strip of soft fibreboard extending the full depth of the concrete is suitable for this purpose. On completion the top 20mm of the board should be cut out and the cavity filled with a proprietary expansion joint sealer. Alternatively, a bitumen impregnated fibreboard or the equivalent may be used. Concrete shall be spread uniformly between the forms and compacted with a tamper or vibrating beam. Finish may be either notched or brushed. Concrete shall not be poured under 4°C in a falling thermometer

And from Irish Cement Limited pamplets : Concrete on the Farm

http://www.irishcement.ie/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/2211-DL-flyer-5_v24-F-OL.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If using mesh, put it about one inch from the bottom. If you go with five inch thickness the mesh could be between one and two inches from the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Had to turn off the late debate on radio one there
    Couldn't listen to any more of the bullsh1t

The presenter introduced it for a start as there having been a green wave and how they did so well in the EU elections

94% didn't vote for them,how is that a surge
    Also Bríd Smith saying FF and FG are in league with the oil explorers
    Then crap about we must reduce the national herd size because big farmers (that's be all of us in Bríd's bubble)are responsible for ruining the earth

Fecks sake wouldn't you love to delve into these people's lives and see how many are actually dependent on the things they give out about
    Food food food ,what do they feckin think the human body needs or runs on?
    When theyre all done the grocery shops in Venezuela will look bountiful

Should we start culling humans so?
    We could start with the vegans
    #endrant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

As with everything, preparation is key. The base is as important as the quality and thickness of the concrete. If good hard-core base put in and compacted in layers and well levelled, 4" more than adequate.

What happens a lot of poorly prepared sites, the ground settles after, a void develops and then it is isn't supporting the concrete overhead. Concrete has to fend for itself then and acts more like a beam but perhaps without the reinforcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

As with everything, preparation is key. The base is as important as the quality and thickness of the concrete. If good hard-core base put in and compacted in layers and well levelled, 4" more than adequate.

What happens a lot of poorly prepared sites, the ground settles after, a void develops and then it is isn't supporting the concrete overhead. Concrete has to fend for itself then and acts more like a beam but perhaps without the reinforcement.

Good advice.

Guy who does groundwork here says same, concrete is only as good as the ground in under it. Time spent preparing the base pays back every time you use the concrete. It keeps it strong and attention in getting levels right saves wasted concrete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Totally unrelated to farming, looking for 92-94 Carina e 1.6 petrol. Have missed a few on DoneDeal due to exporters literally buying within minutes of adds been listed. Preferably a runner in good condition....not looking for much I know..any help appreciated. Tks, Mac

• Advertisement

Was in a yard today when a lad came along spraying weeds with knapsack.

We chatted for a while about roundup and how it would be hard to keep the place tidy without it.

Off he went, short sleeves, no gloves and no mask spraying all around him.

He’s having treatment for cancer at the moment and is looking much better.

He either has no fear, understanding or interest in the whole dangers of glyphosate debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Base price wrote: »
    Youngest was telling me about the "real" map of Ireland so I thought I would share it with the rest of ye

and here is another very interesting one, click on the location to get details of individual shipwrecks.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/this-new-interactive-map-shows-the-location-of-nearly-4000-shipwrecks-around-ireland-839184.html

https://dahg.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=89e50518e5f4437abfa6284ff39fd640

Which one is the wreck off Donegal with all that gold? :pac:

Type in "Empress of Britain SS" into the search box, and away with you. Best of Luck

https://dahg.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=89e50518e5f4437abfa6284ff39fd640

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2019/0528/1052216-gold-bullion-ship/

Obviously the gold was going to Canada and perhaps the U.S..To pay for the war effort maybe but there's no account of where it originated from or was it government gold at all or a private company or individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Anyone heading for Slane tomorrow?

Read the Wikipedia page on Empress of Britain.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Empress_of_Britain_(1930)

Specifically the piece about the gold.
    Either Wikipedia or RTE is incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Anyone heading for Slane tomorrow?
    My nephew flew in from California on Wednesday to go to the concert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I'd love to get diving on this Donegal wreck. The Empire Heritage.

http://coastmonkey.ie/ss-empire-heritage-malin-head/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Base price wrote: »
    My nephew flew in from California on Wednesday to go to the concert.

They’re a great live band

Have 3 2nd calved cows gone 38-41 days calved, hoping to calve earlier next year
    Thinking of giving estrumate or should I coil too?
    Just man that generally coils is very busy or could a novice do this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Coils work better than Estrumate on cows. Depending on whether they are beef or dairy cows there are different hormone regimes so it might be best to give your vet a ring to discuss it.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Just in the door from a night out in killarney after watching tonights soccer match. Had to bail out despite a place to stay in where my mate booked a twin room in the town centre. Taxi. Home €20 and up at 7. Less than 5hours sleep. Cows to milk is it ever worth it? Resigned to working bollickks off for the farm to be divided between nieces and nephews. And I gave up a full time teaching job because of situation at home ob the farm. I know there will be plenty of smart answers but have no life and am a slave to the farm. Can't give more specific details apart from being In mid 40's. Don't know why I'm posting this but am half cut

Just in the door from a night out in killarney after watching tonights soccer match. Had to bail out despite a place to stay in where my mate booked a twin room in the town centre. Taxi. Home €20 and up at 7. Less than 5hours sleep. Cows to milk is it ever worth it? Resigned to working bollickks off for the farm to be divided between nieces and nephews. And I gave up a full time teaching job because of situation at home ob the farm. I know there will be plenty of smart answers but have no life and am a slave to the farm. Can't give more specific details apart from being In mid 40's. Don't know why I'm posting this but am half cut

Mid 40’s and getting home at 2:30 sounds right

As for the rest, who knows, both families and farming are weird things, mixed they are even weirder.

Are you happy farming, if not there’s still kids to teach somthats stilll and option, as is leasing out for a few years for a break.

What's a life?

Getting up at 5 a.m. shower and shave, on with your uniform into the car for a two hour commute working with people you don't like with a boss barking orders every half hour trying to hit those quarterly targets working on minimum wage living in rented accomodation.

At least you're your own boss setting your own working times, deciding on the work you do and don't do and hopefully enjoying what you do.

Edit: You're also in the envious position that people with sprogs won't find themselves in.
    You can take the money and run.

Try and get someone to cover the milking for a few weekends in the year to go enjoy yourself
    If you stay a bit longer you might meet someone to share the farm with, your only mid 40’s .. lots of time

When you're finished this morning, head back to bed for a few hours sleep. Tiredness and alcohol make any situation seem worse than it is.

You'll have to broach the subject of what's happening to the farm at some stage. There's no point in wasting your life working for free for someone else to benefit. I reckon your first call is to a solicitor and lay out the facts to them and find out what your entitled to.

But at some stage you'll have to have that talk with whoever owns the farm and be prepared to walk away from it. Life's too short to be spending time doing something you're not happy with doing. You have qualifications and that gives you a huge advantage in knowing you can find work fairly easily even if it's just subbing for a start.

Try and get someone to cover the milking for a few weekends in the year to go enjoy yourself
    If you stay a bit longer you might meet someone to share the farm with, your only mid 40’s .. lots of time

Agree with the above.

Reading between the lines, (nieces & nephews), maybe you are not the owner, and apprehensive about being put in a precarious position despite your sacrifices. If this is the case, now is the time to get legal advice, for your own peace of mind.

• Advertisement

81m3 if 5" thickness.

Getting the concrete for 70 euro a cubic meter and lorryload holds 7 meters

The Feile na nGael is on here this weekend and we're hosting a team from Westmeath, Castletowngeoghan. Anyway, our girls won their first match last night and were being well beaten in the second when our management team had a meltdown on the sidelines just before halftime and the team were well beaten.

They girls won this morning and now off to Ballyhea where they must win and the Castletowngeoghan girls are off to Mallow to play their next game so hopefully they'll do well there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

The Feile na nGael is on here this weekend and we're hosting a team from Westmeath, Castletowngeoghan. Anyway, our girls won their first match last night and were being well beaten in the second when our management team had a meltdown on the sidelines just before halftime and the team were well beaten.

They girls won this morning and now off to Ballyhea where they must win and the Castletowngeoghan girls are off to Mallow to play their next game so hopefully they'll do well there as well.

It's a fabulous weekend to be involved in. Our team lost by a point in their round here. Again management have a lot to answer for, a favourite son had to be free taker and missed 4 before I insisted they change. We were up in Antrim and Derry yrs ago still good friends with the family that hosted the kids.

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/Expansion-Joint-Strip-for-Concrete-5Mtr-PVC.html

Using expansion strips (above) and keeping strict control on the addition of water, prevents the main cause of shrinkage and cracking.

The readymixed supplier is responsible for providing material as ordered. Adding extra water weakens the concrete and invalidates the supplier’s guarantee. A fact that has to be emphasised to Contractors’ in advance, some of whom add water to aid workability (doing it that way all our lives, no complaints!!).

I heard from a Readymix rep that brushing dry cement into the cracks when they first appear seals them, he said no need to add water, when it rains will be sufficient addition (I haven’t tried it though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

What strength is the concrete and let them know that you have to get it checked by cube test.

dzer2 wrote: »
    What strength is the concrete and let them know that you have to get it checked by cube test.

That is a better idea, than mouthing off at the contractor.

How do you organise a cube test, and which Lab provides Compressive and Expansion testing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

dzer2 wrote: »
    It's a fabulous weekend to be involved in. Our team lost by a point in their round here. Again management have a lot to answer for, a favourite son had to be free taker and missed 4 before I insisted they change. We were up in Antrim and Derry yrs ago still good friends with the family that hosted the kids.

That bull **** really annoys me some great players alienated due to other lads precious son syndrome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Sounds very keen.. is that plus vat? What strength is that concrete ? You'd usually be talking about 35 nm strength as a good standard

We’re using this Kieran’s milk replacer feeding once a day.
    Seems good stuff and first time feeding once a day which is working grand, biggest benefit I see is increased crunch/straw intake which I suppose is a good thing.

Has a kinda coconut smell, quite different to any other milk replacer I’ve smelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Feile was on in Clare about 30 years ago. Our parish got to host Antrim. Gerry Adams ended up staying in a local house. :D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

whelan2 wrote: »
    That bull **** really annoys me some great players alienated due to other lads precious son syndrome

It's bad alright.

And there was a lad I knew in College from a local club, not very highly rated underage but never missed a match or training session but rarely got to start a game. He went off to College and joined the hurling club and by the end of second year made the College team and won a Fitzgibbon cup with them. It was only then that he started for his local club and went on to have a good intercounty career.

But he wasn't rated at 14 so he was only tolerated to make up the numbers. There's no rating for late developers at all down here but it's changing slowly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement