Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

MeTheMan wrote: »
    I know you have to do it, but is it worth doing? Learn anything new?

I only recently got my own sprayer so for someone inexperienced like myself you would definitely pick up a few things. If you have been spraying for a while then, theoretically, you would know what you are at and probably wouldn’t ‘need’ to do the course. However, if nothing else it may make you think a bit more about keeping yourself as safe as possible when spraying. It’s nasty stuff we deal with when it comes to spraying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Reggie. wrote: »
    Local man here calves 600 cows off one bedding of peat. He uses about 100m3 in the calving shed

Are the fields that get spread with the peat and dung showing good resilience to the drought conditions?
    Or any difference at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Are the fields that get spread with the peat and dung showing good resilience to the drought conditions?
    Or any difference at all?

Hard to know as he spread water on the paddocks from the lake so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Would it be very dirty?

Used it for the first time this year. Cattle were a lot cleaner on it than on straw

Used it for the first time this year. Cattle were a lot cleaner on it than on straw

You'll do it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Have Jenny for AI this morning at 10, grand, no issues.....or so I thought.
    Panda and her calf in with next doors crazy loop de loops with the rig bull, incalf heifer going mad as she's too big to jump through. To top it all off, there's a cow in heat in the neighbours field too.
    Last thing i wanted was the bloody heifer to beach herself joining them so had to attempt a great escape and steal panda from under the bulls watchful eye.
    Somehow, some God is shining on me and after one flight of fancy down the field with the other whackjobs, she came straight for bucket with her calf toddling after. One blessing here- neighbours nutjobs don't know how/won't follow bucket so they didn't come too.

Would you have to harrow it up often and if so what would you use?

Would you have to harrow it up often and if so what would you use?

I never go near it. Cattle will rut it up once ya don't put in too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Heard of a lad using an old rotavator. Obviously need a good depth of it in before you'd do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Has anyone every given muscle bite from Natural stockcare to cattle & what you think of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Scanned cattle today. Only 1/9 definitely in calf. Another 3/4 maybe. 3 definitely not.

Coiled one.

So that will be 3/12 in total in calf so far. Vet makes off they are lacking nothing and in good form. So will take bull off on 4 weeks and scan in 6 and anything empty, just get rid irrespective of price.

I will buy springers next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Seeing as it was raining, we said we'd do something useful so....
    FkxtZuo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

So that will be 3/12 in total in calf so far. Vet makes off they are lacking nothing and in good form. So will take bull off on 4 weeks and scan in 6 and anything empty, just get rid irrespective of price.

Think you need to look at the bull too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Scanned cattle today. Only 1/9 definitely in calf. Another 3/4 maybe. 3 definitely not.

Coiled one.

When did you start breeding.? Do you vaccinate for lepto? Fert test the bull?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Pissing down rain here I hope it doesn’t forget to stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Seeing as it was raining, we said we'd do something useful so....
    FkxtZuo.jpg

New addition to the family?

Mooooo wrote: »
    When did you start breeding.? Do you vaccinate for lepto? Fert test the bull?

Don’t vaccinate for lepto. Should I test for it?

Vet said- he can’t bull them if they are not cycling. Some have been with bull since end of March. Most since April.

When I scanned 4 weeks ago 2 were in calf and I coiled 4 so they may yet be in calf but not showing. And I put 4 more with him that day.

Two in particular I wanted to check today- a heifer ended up being 7 weeks in calf and I coiled her mother.

He had 13/13 last year but I will be fert testing him to see.

Parishlad wrote: »
    New addition to the family?

Yeah, new house dog. Chloe, apparently, but I'm still holding out for Uisce.

Nah, me neither :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Looking after a neighbours cattle while he's gone away for a break. Jeez bucket reared calves are so quiet compared to the sucklers. Some have sore eyes and I'm catching them in the field to do them , no bother.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Yeah, new house dog. Chloe, apparently, but I'm still holding out for Uisce.

Beatha

Not an unusual name for a dog

• Advertisement

Coiled one.

Do you see them bulling? If you could see them 3 times a day, that would help a lot. If they are all bulling, then problem is with the bull. If they are not bulling yet, then maybe feed them some dairy nuts for a while. I find it great to bring them in heat. Dairy nuts will sort out any minerals they may be lacking too.

Do you see them bulling? If you could see them 3 times a day, that would help a lot. If they are all bulling, then problem is with the bull. If they are not bulling yet, then maybe feed them some dairy nuts for a while. I find it great to bring them in heat. Dairy nuts will sort out any minerals they may be lacking too.

I get to check them around 10am and 6pm. Some weren’t bulling.
    How much dairy nuts should I give? Thanks for the advice

I get to check them around 10am and 6pm. Some weren’t bulling.
    How much dairy nuts should I give? Thanks for the advice

Start them off on maybe 1/2 Kg per head for a few days and build up to 2Kg per head if they have good grass. If cows are very milky, they may need more.
    I fed mine during the winter when silage was short and they came bulling mad quick.....and that was on concrete in bad weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Feeding round bales here for the last 3 weeks that were made early June. Eating through alot quicker now than at the start. Would it be because the silage is sweeter now that it's more fermented?
    Ration increased in the same period

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Feeding round bales here for the last 3 weeks that were made early June. Eating through alot quicker now than at the start. Would it be because the silage is sweeter now that it's more fermented?
    Ration increased in the same period

If you're still feeding grass as well. It could be the quantity of grass is reducing so more reliance on the silage.
    Or else they're youngstock and growing.

Don’t vaccinate for lepto. Should I test for it?

Vet said- he can’t bull them if they are not cycling. Some have been with bull since end of March. Most since April.

When I scanned 4 weeks ago 2 were in calf and I coiled 4 so they may yet be in calf but not showing. And I put 4 more with him that day.

Two in particular I wanted to check today- a heifer ended up being 7 weeks in calf and I coiled her mother.

He had 13/13 last year but I will be fert testing him to see.

You can blood test for it and other things ask the vet. Perhaps test the bull soon as if he is the Issue no point waiting another 4 weeks to find out. If tight on grass / silage a shake of nuts would help, important for conception to have a rising plane of nutrition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

You can blood test for it and other things ask the vet. Perhaps test the bull soon as if he is the Issue no point waiting another 4 weeks to find out. If tight on grass / silage a shake of nuts would help, important for conception to have a rising plane of nutrition

If you’re getting bloods getting trace elements tested would be good idea. Selenium, copper and iodine have a direct impact on fertility.

Vet wasn’t inclined to blood test him, said to wait another few weeks. Cattle calving towards end of April might not be showing properly yet. And I do have a few that calves mid April last year. He thought a few may be there. I will feed with some nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

If you're still feeding grass as well. It could be the quantity of grass is reducing so more reliance on the silage.
    Or else they're youngstock and growing.

15 bullocks all head for 30 months. Closed off in a plot no more than acre that had very little grass to start with.

Ah maybe they know their date with the factory is upcoming and just trying to pile on the kgs so I'll get a few extra yoyos

Vet wasn’t inclined to blood test him, said to wait another few weeks. Cattle calving towards end of April might not be showing properly yet. And I do have a few that calves mid April last year. He thought a few may be there. I will feed with some nuts.

You would Blood test the cows and the bull for the lepto. To fert test the bull you need a semen sample. The vet should be able to do that and look under the microscope and tell you there and then, that's what our vet does anyway.

• Advertisement

Coiled one.

Good few not incalf here too, & lots of cows repeating in herds. 2017 & 2018 taking their toll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Kerrygold in trouble for misleading advertising in California

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/us-lawsuit-brought-against-ornua-over-misleading-claims/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Good few not incalf here too, & lots of cows repeating in herds. 2017 & 2018 taking their toll

There isn't a gosling to be got on account of the bad start to the year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

An option might be to separate the cows from the calves except for twice a day feeding. Extra work and needs good fences but should bring the cows on.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭roosterman71

roosterbaby born yesterday morning. 6lbs 11.5ozs. Everyone doing good. Mrs. is in a blind panic about everything the little lad does. To be expected I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

roosterbaby born yesterday morning. 6lbs 11.5ozs. Everyone doing good. Mrs. is in a blind panic about everything the little lad does. To be expected I guess

Congratulations. Is this your first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Congratulations to ye and good health.

(I read your post in my emails without looking at your username and was thinking wtf!)

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

congratulationa on the new chick. :) prepare for sleepless nights and a wrecked house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Rosahane

congratulationa on the new chick. :) prepare for sleepless nights and a wrecked house.

I enjoyed telling all the new or expectant fathers that worked with me the Rosahane two rules of new fatherhood

Rule 1: No not waken, learn to "sleep" through lights, elbows in the back, crying etc.

Rule 2: If you do have to waken, offer to help out as much as possible, do the feeding, changing, burping etc. etc. but make sure you are doing it correctly, the only way you can make sure of this by constantly and continiously checking with the mother that you are indeed doing things correctly. If you properly observe this Rule you can revert to Rule 1. :D

• Advertisement

Rosahane wrote: »
    I enjoyed telling all the new or expectant fathers that worked with me the Rosahane two rules of new fatherhood

Rule 1: No not waken, learn to "sleep" through lights, elbows in the back, crying etc.

Rule 2: If you do have to waken, offer to help out as much as possible, do the feeding, changing, burping etc. etc. but make sure you are doing it correctly, the only way you can make sure of this by constantly and continiously checking with the mother that you are indeed doing things correctly. If you properly observe this Rule you can revert to Rule 1. :D
    If my lot were depending on me waking to feed them, they'd be sleeping right through the night from the day they came home from hospital:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Have Jenny for AI this morning at 10, grand, no issues.....or so I thought.
    Panda and her calf in with next doors crazy loop de loops with the rig bull, incalf heifer going mad as she's too big to jump through. To top it all off, there's a cow in heat in the neighbours field too.
    Last thing i wanted was the bloody heifer to beach herself joining them so had to attempt a great escape and steal panda from under the bulls watchful eye.
    Somehow, some God is shining on me and after one flight of fancy down the field with the other whackjobs, she came straight for bucket with her calf toddling after. One blessing here- neighbours nutjobs don't know how/won't follow bucket so they didn't come too.

Got to love these sort of days. Checking my girls this morning - saw a young calf, great thinks I the calf is the hardest to find so she is grand! Then another young calf comes running down field - heifer due next week had her calf trotting along beside her.
    Then missing another cow - found her on her own. Sick. So home for tractor and trailer. Now waiting for vet.
    And in the middle of all that the 'first calf' that I registered as a heifer, we spotted 'her' having a wee and is actually a bull! Sigh!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Well vet has been and gone. Cow has some form of mastitis (he called it an abscess and some other word that I cannot remember). Anyway he reckoned best way to treat was to cut the quarter and let it out - such a puddle of disgusting stuff. She was on the cull list anyway but is most definitely going once the antibiotics etc are cleared from her system.

Simon Cowell (@SimonCo47613635) Tweeted:
    Nice evening for combining my zero N trials. 5.7 to 6.3t/ha. Second Wheat, No N, no fungicides, no PGR, one herbicide. https://t.co/MUMfscrUm0 https://twitter.com/SimonCo47613635/status/1022212962248007682?s=17

Was in the local credit union earlier. Loan rates are now 10%!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was in the local credit union earlier. Loan rates are now 10%!

We've the 'cultivate' one here. I don't think they rolled it out nationwide. I find the CU very good. Open sat and in and out and no fuss professional service.

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    We've the 'cultivate' one here. I don't think they rolled it out nationwide. I find the CU very good. Open sat and in and out and no duss professional service.

I took a loan out with them last year for 4.9% some difference in the rate

There's a blood moon out tonight.
    But thankfully it won't be seen because it's raining. :)

whelan2 wrote: »
    I took a loan out with them last year for 4.9% some difference in the rate
    Our credit union is 6% for a secured loan, I think they offer the same if you are buying a car, otherwise it's 9.6%.

Muckit wrote: »
    We've the 'cultivate' one here. I don't think they rolled it out nationwide. I find the CU very good. Open sat and in and out and no fuss professional service.
    What is the cultivate one?

There's a blood moon out tonight.
    But thankfully it won't be seen because it's raining. :)

Was hoping to see it & Mars but too cloudy

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement