Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Cut Monday lunchtime and baled yesterday evening. 14 bales to the acre. Was fit to be done 10 days sooner so bulked up a sight in that time.
    Was thinking if i was to advertise on Done Deal

Top quality first cut bales. Baled in June without rain. But did get hailstones !

Mad Ted ��

By the calendar ours is for later this week. But there was quite a bit of slow growth weather, there’s a fair crop and a bit of heading out, but I’ll wait another week as ground here is still suffering from last weeks rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

_Brian wrote: »
    I’m sure George felt very slighted to be stuck with Ag, it never suited him. Where has he moved to.
    It seems he maybe the new Economics editor as Sean Whelan, the current one, is heading to London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭emaherx

Cut Monday lunchtime and baled yesterday evening. 14 bales to the acre. Was fit to be done 10 days sooner so bulked up a sight in that time.

Top quality first cut bales. Baled in June without rain. But did get hailstones !

Mad Ted 😂

Got my first cut done the last 2 weekends, worked out surprisingly well considering wet weeks in between and ground conditions held up well except at gaps. Hopefully get some dry weather soon to make a bit of hay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Mad Ted 😂

Cut Sunday evening 10 days after due date for N to run out due to weather. Tedded twice and raked. Reseeded same 5 acre field last Autumn with a Sinclair McGill silage/grazing combo. Out wintered 3 bulls on it all winter. Closed on 11th April 3.5 bags of N+s and 3bags 0-7-30 per acre and 98 bales last evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Please chose from one of following options:
    A)Unreal return
    B)Poor baler
    C) The field is going on 8 acres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

It’s been along time since we had a 6 series Massey
    Where do you put the power steering oil?
    Is it in the spout behind the radiator above the oil dipstick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

It’s been along time since we had a 6 series Massey
    Where do you put the power steering oil?
    Is it in the spout behind the radiator above the oil dipstick?

No that's the engine oil....

Power steering pump is the right hand side of the engine (viewed from the cab).. cylindrical shaped lying horizontally near the front.... a couple of metal pipes coming out of it... filler point on the side if the cylinder... looks like a stud/ nut... fill to this level.... caution correct oil is a very light red coloured power steering oil... not engine oil....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

jimmy G M wrote: »
    No that's the engine oil....

Power steering pump is the right hand side of the engine (viewed from the cab).. cylindrical shaped lying horizontally near the front.... a couple of metal pipes coming out of it... filler point on the side if the cylinder... looks like a stud/ nut... fill to this level.... caution correct oil is a very light red coloured power steering oil... not engine oil....
    Thanks
    See it Just under the starter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Cut Sunday evening 10 days after due date for N to run out due to weather. Tedded twice and raked. Reseeded same 5 acre field last Autumn with a Sinclair McGill silage/grazing combo. Out wintered 3 bulls on it all winter. Closed on 11th April 3.5 bags of N+s and 3bags 0-7-30 per acre and 98 bales last evening.

Well done.

But.

In boards tradition.

I hope you have your minerals bought for that silage for the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

When did you put out the 0 7 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Well done.

But.

In boards tradition.

I hope you have your minerals bought for that silage for the winter.

Fairness a bag of powdered mineral is very cheap, not having enough feeding isn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Fairness a bag of powdered mineral is very cheap, not having enough feeding isn’t.

Ah I think he's alright and doesn't have cows.

There was a shortage of minerals there for a time last autumn. And it's only going to get worse as it's consolidated more and even watered down minerals for the same price.
    These heavy crops are usually the worst offenders for cows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Good deed done there for the day. Neighbour had a suckler cow calved today and she got milk fever. Went over in my pyjamas and gave her a few bottles of calcium. Nice AAx cow 5th calver with a lovely red lim heifer calf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Never mind that would powdered molasses. Throw a bolus into them at the start of the winter and forget about it not be messing with minerals all winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Waiting on the last cow to calf here now, blister out with the last hour. Fair wrecked. Was at silage the last few days and didn't get to bed until 2 last night and another long day ahead today.

Well that didn't go to plan but all ok thank god. He was upside down and backwards. Never seen it before.

• Advertisement

Well that didn't go to plan but all ok thank god. He was upside down and backwards. Never seen it before.

How did you get him out? Vet has a board thing to twist them so they are not upside down anymore

whelan2 wrote: »
    How did you get him out? Vet has a board thing to twist them so they are not upside down anymore

Zipper in her side in the photo

Grueller wrote: »
    Zipper in her side in the photo

Indeed, it's been a long day here. Didnt notice it before

wrangler wrote: »
    When did you put out the 0 7 30

About 10 days before the N

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I did wonder what had happened when you didn't report back - Vet did a very neat job. What would we do without them!.

We had a strange one this year. Called the Vet when four feet were felt in the birth canal. Vet arrived and managed to manoeuvre the calf (not twins) into it's proper position get him out with the calving jack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I did wonder what had happened when you didn't report back - Vet did a very neat job. What would we do without them!.

We had a strange one this year. Called the Vet when four feet were felt in the birth canal. Vet arrived and managed to manoeuvre the calf (not twins) into it's proper position get him out with the calving jack.

Ya he did a very neat job in fairness to him.

Muckit wrote: »
    Please chose from one of following options:
    A)Unreal return
    B)Poor baler
    C) The field is going on 8 acres

I'll take A) please.

30 years ago I had one like yours that was coming backwards and upside down - I never experienced one before or since. I remember it well as she calved a few weeks after we had a fire in the yard and we had to let the cows out to save them from the fire.

Vet got the calf out alive but the cow put out her calf bed a few mins later. Vet put it back in with the aid of copious amounts of fairy liquid and fertilizer bags. Unfortunately the next day she put it out again and our Vet put it back in however he recommended that we should cull her as it could happen again. Anyway it didn't and she went on to be prolific elder cow within the herd.

I'll take A) please.

A paddock here yesterday yielded 10 bales/acre, on 50kg/acre 18 6 12.
    I've two acres reseeded (which i think has failed) and two acres cut for silage so at the moment there's 200 sheep on 6 acres and 14 days grass ahead.

I've two acres reseeded (which i think has failed) and two acres cut for silage so at the moment there's 200 sheep on 6 acres and 14 days grass ahead.

Grass is flying the last 3 weeks. The poor weather, and not been able to bale before heading out has taken a bit of the quality out of it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

That is some going....growth here is shocking atm, what is the plan if poor growth rate continues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Contractor rowing up 14 acres here for bales at the moment ..... will bale overnight..... phoned him an hour ago... said just leave out the plastic, go to bed and there'll be bales there in the morning! .... he didnt go to bed last night either... reckons he will sleep on Friday... madness really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Contractor rowing up 14 acres here for bales at the moment ..... will bale overnight..... phoned him an hour ago... said just leave out the plastic, go to bed and there'll be bales there in the morning! .... he didnt go to bed last night either... reckons he will sleep on Friday... madness really...

Total crazy shít. I don’t know how lads do it for a few nights and the next day aswell. A lot of pressure being put on contractors

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    That is some going....growth here is shocking atm, what is the plan if poor growth rate continues?

growth here is v good, crazy even, cut two acres because there was 12 days grazing ahead last week without it, today they there's 14 days ahead so it's gaining......... it has to reverse some time, after all it is june,
    We're going to wean end of the month so lambs will be proritised after that for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I rang my usual contractor tonight at 11pm as he's baling for me tomorrow. There I was thinking it was a bit late to be ringing. He was still baling for a neighbour and another to go to after that.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

There was a good shot of hay baled locally today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

growth here is v good, crazy even, cut two acres because there was 12 days grazing ahead last week without it, today they there's 14 days ahead so it's gaining......... it has to reverse some time, after all it is june,
    We're going to wean end of the month so lambs will be proritised after that for a while

Growth completely stalled here for the last week..... cold and windy...hats and jacket weather:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Great way for someone to get killed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Growth completely stalled here for the last week..... cold and windy...hats and jacket weather:D

Growth rates here have slowed considerably in the last 2 or 3 days

Reggie. wrote: »
    Growth rates here have slowed considerably in the last 2 or 3 days

Who's yer man. ; )

Ya twas Baltic at times this evening. That wind would cut ya.

Get the ****. It's been more or less pissing outta of the heavens here for the past couple of weeks.

Base price wrote: »
    Getaway the ****.

Yup. 11 degree hay. Wouldnt fancy forking it. Was cut Friday and only got one bad shower on Monday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Holy f<ćķ, I spread a tonne of fertilizer, and an hour later there was a hail shower that whitened the ground!
    And I drove over the phone leaving the merchants yard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just waiting on a break to make some hay - forecast shows increasing temperatures but with rain ... :(

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Just waiting on a break to make some hay - forecast shows increasing temperatures but with rain ... :(

I've a good but to knock here. It's going to need great weather to save it as it's gone very heavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Holy f<ćķ, I spread a tonne of fertilizer, and an hour later there was a hail shower that whitened the ground!
    And I drove over the phone leaving the merchants yard...

Is that you, Whelan?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Base price wrote: »
    Get the ****. It's been more or less pissing outta of the heavens here for the past couple of weeks.

Cutting silage here since Monday, have a local lad bringing in 20 acres of first cut that I bought as well.

Not one drop of effluent out of the pit yet!

And there's lads round here with pits splitting after bringing in wet grass last week:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

Bales in and cattle in grazing the headlands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

All go until mid december now

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Some day. For love nor money couldn’t find the twins. Spent from 9-2 looking for them. Got sick of it so brought the cattle down to the shed and ate my dinner. Then let the cow out. I was afraid she’d forget one of them once she had something sucking her. Found them after an hour. Christened them hide and seek.

BDGP tagging done and cattle dosed. Calves dehorned.

Bit more to do when oh comes home from yoga.

• Advertisement

Some day. For love nor money couldn’t find the twins. Spent from 9-2 looking for them. Got sick of it so brought the cattle down to the shed and ate my dinner. Then let the cow out. I was afraid she’d forget one of them once she had something sucking her. Found them after an hour. Christened them hide and seek.

BDGP tagging done and cattle dosed. Calves dehorned.

Bit more to do when oh comes home from yoga.

Often found if the cow isn't upset or looking for the calves they are not lost. She will have an idea where they are. I too have spent ages looking for calves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

They can really hide thou-especially the AA calves. We have a particular field that’s a nightmare. What can be good is bringing a dog in with you and watching where the cows looking. Sometimes the cow deliberately brings you a different direction as well-fun times.

Sad news is just breaking here locally of an elderly bachelor farmer passing away in an accident with a tractor this afternoon. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

L1985 wrote: »
    They can really hide thou-especially the AA calves. We have a particular field that’s a nightmare. What can be good is bringing a dog in with you and watching where the cows looking. Sometimes the cow deliberately brings you a different direction as well-fun times.

Brought the dog and cow didn’t bat an eyelid. Even traversed the place on the 135, nothing.

I’d normally not worry but afraid she’d forget one of the twins.
    Brought them into a little paddock near home. Couldn’t see one of the feckers, she was under a few dock leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

L1985 wrote: »

I wouldn't bring a dog near cows with calves to be honest. Too dangerous if a cow took a notion

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement