Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Agreed. I’ll be honest in that Our cows are generally fine with the dogs once the calves are a couple of days old but the dogs are usually rooting in the ditches and don’t bother around where the cows are as well. If I see the cow getting agitated I send the dogs home.
    @kolkegeknight I sometimes wish I put ilkuninous paint on them when they are born because they know how to make a fool out of you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Taking the MF 265 to the max drawing bales. Ear phones in listening to probably the greatest dance choons from the 90's
    Not a bad way to spend an evening !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Taking the MF 265 to the max drawing bales. Ear phones in listening to probably the greatest dance choons from the 90's
    Not a bad way to spend an evening !!

Have you weights on the front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

visatorro wrote: »
    I wouldn't bring a dog near cows with calves to be honest. Too dangerous if a cow took a notion

The dog was my last option. My cattle are grand. They will stand in a field if you were putting a calf on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Have you weights on the front?

No. Bales were grand. Only an odd one had me rearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    No. Bales were grand. Only an odd one had me rearing

Split brake steering... the fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Baling today, meadows black with crows after the baler, worst ever crowd this year and no scaring them off. Other years painting on eyes and crosses on the plastic scared them off, not this year. A crow banger would have come in handy. Had to repair many of them with silage tape.

Heard that a streak of grease across the top of the plastic deters them from landing. Anyone ever tried this method ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Baling today, meadows black with crows after the baler, worst ever crowd this year and no scaring them off. Other years painting on eyes and crosses on the plastic scared them off, not this year. A crow banger would have come in handy. Had to repair many of them with silage tape.

Heard that a streak of grease across the top of the plastic deters them from landing. Anyone ever tried this method ?

There were gulls a few fields away and they were fighting or something, the cattle stopped in their tracks with the noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Baler man finished here at 2.30am, had another 10 acres after that.

Some bale count this year, grazed with sheep until mid April, mowed Tuesday, tedded twice and 6 hours in rows. 224 bales off 18 acres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Big difference here in terms of weather no rush at all to get finished in case it rains unless it rains too much and lads start getting bogged. Were stopped just on two hours now as the transportation to the mill by the mill isnt running 100%. 2 harvesters and 4 tractors and trailers running only doing 25ha a day (i think) season started on tbe 03/06 and should finish the 15/12 no late nights here either all machiney is safe and maintained 100% i even had to do an induction and medical before stsrting with this company, few contractors back home could look to here for ideas

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

[quote=Lime Tree ff.

Heard that a streak of grease across the top of the plastic deters them from landing. Anyone ever tried this method ?[/quote]
    We have used grease the last three years and I find it really works. Drew in 230 bales there that had been in the field for a week and crows hadn’t touched any of them and they were all over the place. I use a paintbrush and just draw it along the top of the bales. I don’t use paint or anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

An awful lot of crows and magpies around this year for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The crows seem to only attack some fields this year. Never came near me, but attacked a neighbours bales.
    I was thinking yesterday, would it be mad to leave out some meal for them?
    My thinking was, if they got their fill, they might fook off.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The crows seem to only attack some fields this year. Never came near me, but attacked a neighbours bales.
    I was thinking yesterday, would it be mad to leave out some meal for them?
    My thinking was, if they got their fill, they might fook off.

Always the same some farmers around here can't even stop drawing for dinner and others can leave them out for weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

wrangler wrote: »
    Always the same some farmers around here can't even stop drawing for dinner and others can leave them out for weeks

I'd be like the former. Get them the hell off the field ASAP. I can't understand lads leaving them out, watching them SAG and the grass growing up around them. If ya go to the effort of making the bloody things, at least store them right

L1985 wrote: »
    We have used grease the last three years and I find it really works. Drew in 230 bales there that had been in the field for a week and crows hadn’t touched any of them and they were all over the place. I use a paintbrush and just draw it along the top of the bales. I don’t use paint or anything else.

Thank you for that information, that's very helpful.

Cheekiest lot were circulating between meadows yesterday, including starlings and small birds. Where do they all come from, and know where to go, they must have Twitter accounts.

Patching yesterday, not so easy today as plastic is wet. Should have them all drawn in by this evening.

I'd be like the former. Get them the hell off the field ASAP. I can't understand lads leaving them out, watching them SAG and the grass growing up around them. If ya go to the effort of making the bloody things, at least store them right

No, I'm talking about bales destroyed before even the baler has left the field. We are near the shannon estuary mind you.
    I drew in bales yesterday for a neighbour as he was still at work. I arrived in, had a quick chat with the contractor as he was leaving and when I checked the bales most were destroved. Around here, you have to move them as soon as they hit the ground. At least some guys have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

No, I'm talking about bales destroyed before even the baler has left the field. We are near the shannon estuary mind you.
    I drew in bales yesterday for a neighbour as he was still at work. I arrived in, had a quick chat with the contractor as he was leaving and when I checked the bales most were destroved. Around here, you have to move them as soon as they hit the ground. At least some guys have to.

I shot two crows on Sunday while the baler was still working. I went and hooked to the bale trailer and came back and they were in the field again so I shot two more. They allowed me to clear them without damage then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Big difference here in terms of weather no rush at all to get finished in case it rains unless it rains too much and lads start getting bogged. Were stopped just on two hours now as the transportation to the mill by the mill isnt running 100%. 2 harvesters and 4 tractors and trailers running only doing 25ha a day (i think) season started on tbe 03/06 and should finish the 15/12 no late nights here either all machiney is safe and maintained 100% i even had to do an induction and medical before stsrting with this company, few contractors back home could look to here for ideas
    Would that be at sugar cane?

• Advertisement

Grueller wrote: »

I shot two crows on Sunday while the baler was still working. I went and hooked to the bale trailer and came back and they were in the field again so I shot two more. They allowed me to clear them without damage then.
    Seen birds that were shot being strung up on branches somewhere prominent on branches to warn them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Patching yesterday, not so easy today as plastic is wet. Should have them all drawn in by this evening.

A cartridge of wet and dry silicone is better than tape, if the damage isn't too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Seen birds that were shot being strung up on branches somewhere prominent on branches to warn them off.

It’s ugly but it does work.

Was spreading big bags of nitrogen this morning. The date on them was 18/1/17 they were really lumpy. Does fertiliser go off. Only delivered to me yesterday

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was spreading big bags of nitrogen this morning. The date on them was 18/1/17 they were really lumpy. Does fertiliser go off. Only delivered to me yesterday
    An (can?) will absorb moisture from any hole in the liner which will have a small effect and go lumpy. I’d make it known your not willing to pay full whack for imperfect material as your spread pattern will be off as the lumps or banging it off the ground will break up the granules to a higher amount of powder.

Wouldn’t be impressed, it’s not like it’s cheap or anything :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

If be taking pictures and showing that to the rep when he comes collecting his money.where has that very been for the last two years? Not really on with the price of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

at least pay 2017 prices

Birthday party for youngest this evening.

Hooping down rain out, just lit the stove, some summer weather ☹️

_Brian wrote: »
    Birthday party for youngest this evening.

Hooping down rain out, just lit the stove, some summer weather ☹️

Youngest lad at a party this evening, the mother postponed it from last Saturday as she didn't like the look of the weather forecast. As it turned out last Saturday was grand. He'll be drowned now when I collect him. He has a gaelic game later

Youngest lad at a party this evening, the mother postponed it from last Saturday as she didn't like the look of the weather forecast. As it turned out last Saturday was grand. He'll be drowned now when I collect him. He has a gaelic game later

Has cleared off for the moment so they out playing games and on bouncy castle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

We put a bit of grease on the bales. Works really well. Birds can't stand greasy feet! They'd be purched upside down on the telephone line.

Baled yesterday. Should have been baled about 2 weeks ago I'd say. Bit stemy/seeded. 56 bales in the 3 acres. The ih was skywards on a few of them, had to reverse the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Any of ye ever try bitcoin and did it work? Looking at it last few days and always positive reports on it but like everything it can’t be that simple?

marathon wrote: »
    Any of ye ever try bitcoin and did it work? Looking at it last few days and always positive reports on it but like everything it can’t be that simple?

Try it for what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

At the moment the only market for crypto coins are other speculators, if you're willing to buy shares in risky businesses plough on if not steer clear.
    That's my view on it any way

Tried to get a friend to go in with me a few years ago and make some investment. Scares me to see why it would be worth now. Probably north of €10million

Just seen a blog on it and this guy put in 250 euro and had 3425 euro at end of week and loads more similar stories I suppose u just havta be willing to lose the 250 euro I geuss

Just seen a blog on it and this guy put in 250 euro and had 3425 euro at end of week and loads more similar stories I suppose u just havta be willing to lose the 250 euro I geuss

Sounds like a pyramid scheme if I'm honest
    The crypto market is up and down all the time. If ya time it right, you can make some money. But you could lose it all just as easy. Same as any investment. Just remember, what you are buying is virtual, with nothing of value behind it

The crypto market is up and down all the time. If ya time it right, you can make some money. But you could lose it all just as easy. Same as any investment. Just remember, what you are buying is virtual, with nothing of value behind it
    So forget bout it u reckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Grease is good option for bales but only on the top ones. If u do the whole field before you draw them in. The top ones fall off very easily if stacking them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

So forget bout it u reckon?

Ask yourself why did the guy write that blog saying he made so much money?

He wrote it so you and thousands more would be tempted into the market and keep the currency increasing in value. After that it's your own lookout.

• Advertisement

Bit Coin Machine spews them out - invest in a large sack to bring home the stash.

Sacks like the ones that collected grain from the combine harvester.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZRlKTjZMiA

Ask yourself why did the guy write that blog saying he made so much money?

He wrote it so you and thousands more would be tempted into the market and keep the currency increasing in value. After that it's your own lookout.

I’ll buy couple calves with me 250 so🙈

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There's a whole forum to get lost in....

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1814

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Like every other shares. It really is a gamble. Nobody can tell you what you will have at the end. And as someone pointed out its virtual money and unless you have it in your arse pocket you've nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭emaherx

Just had vet out to treat a cow for tetany. Not something you'd expect in June.

Bitcoin is an investment in a virtual currency. A great investment if you have some spare virtual cash. Sure, what could go wrong?
    But Christ, don't put put your real money in it.

PS - Just google what Warren Buffet has to say about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I’ll buy couple calves with me 250 so��
    Back in the day I bought a 13.2 three yo registered Connemara filly instead of Eircom shares. Broke her myself and my sons had a few years fun competing on her before I sold her on for a healthy profit. If she had died or broke down I would have lost out but she didn't and we have wonderful memories of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

visatorro wrote: »
    Like every other shares. It really is a gamble. Nobody can tell you what you will have at the end. And as someone pointed out its virtual money and unless you have it in your arse pocket you've nothing.

Same as shares. I know a few lads who had large sums invested in shares after selling land during the bubble. Poor divils lost their shirts after.

Would that be at sugar cane?

Yep in tropical australia

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

There was a thing called "loom" floating around in Sydney in february/march time i.e. few hundred dollars buy in, garaunteed walk away with a few grand in a day. Anyone in early got there few grand to walkaway with but then the suckers in last were left with nothing as you had to recruit 8 people into youre loom to get out of the loom
    Know of a few people that cashed in and a few cashed out the thing i couldnt understand was how lads were so willing to take over a days wages off their mates knowing well theyd not see it again.

Better living everyone

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement