Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

whelan2 wrote:
    Has a bat flying around our bedroom at 2am. The joys of an old house. Have a kids fishing net. Oh caught it in that and put it out the window

You would want to be careful not to fall into your cauldron in the dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Not just in an old house, we have at least one family in the attic; they have access through the air vents in the gable ends. They are harmless; once or twice one has flown around the living room when the trapdoor was left open. Watch out for infant bats on the footpath in July, who fail to get air borne. Just return them to the attic before the cat gets them.

Here is one for the children, fledermaus, or a flying mouse.

Harmless unless your water tank is sealed up.

I heard of a case where a dead bat in a water tank caused some serious sickness in a family. The woman of the house got Salmonella and died.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

_Brian wrote: »
    I bought a 40ft when we were building.
    Needs a bit of repair but serious storage space.

It’s been on loan at another site for last two years.
    Roughly how much are they? Sounds real handy for storage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Noticed there was no water on the outfarm on Tuesday so brought the milk tanker up for them while we found out what the issue was. Now our pipe goes the shortest route under someone else's ground but has been so since God was a gosún. Discovered today that the T-junction has been changed to a joiner by said neighbour, therefore cutting us off completely. No phone call, no text. And we've been paying his standing charge every year as thanks for letting us go through his land. Raging! :mad:

Noticed there was no water on the outfarm on Tuesday so brought the milk tanker up for them while we found out what the issue was. Now our pipe goes the shortest route under someone else's ground but has been so since God was a gosún. Discovered today that the T-junction has been changed to a joiner by said neighbour, therefore cutting us off completely. No phone call, no text. And we've been paying his standing charge every year as thanks for letting us go through his land. Raging! :mad:

What's the plan now?

• Advertisement

What's the plan now?

The guy who maintains the water scheme is going to fix us up again today and speak to him. Like it's not really allowed to just cut someone off like that & we've not fallen out with him or anything, whatever reason he had for it.
    Can dig a new line if needs be but just awkward. Could be the son who has done it either. Anyway, it'll sort itself out in time but thought the sneaky way of doing it was extremely rude.

The guy who maintains the water scheme is going to fix us up again today and speak to him. Like it's not really allowed to just cut someone off like that & we've not fallen out with him or anything, whatever reason he had for it.
    Can dig a new line if needs be but just awkward. Could be the son who has done it either. Anyway, it'll sort itself out in time but thought the sneaky way of doing it was extremely rude.

You'd nearly really be better off going down the new line option and be done with it.
    When the meters went in here that was the biggest problem with neighbours sharing lines. The group water scheme insisted on separate meters and different lines for all landowners.
    If a shared line doesn't cause conflict today it will tomorrow.

You'd nearly really be better off going down the new line option and be done with it.
    When the meters went in here that was the biggest problem with neighbours sharing lines. The group water scheme insisted on separate meters and different lines for all landowners.
    If a shared line doesn't cause conflict today it will tomorrow.

It's not caused issue for 50+ years! Whatever notion either him or the son took to do it. See what the chap says later after reinstalling us. As we're the ones footing the bill it wasn't his place to disconnect us. And much as I'd like to remove his head with a volley of swearwords, I'd like to find out why it was done. Just ranting here more than anything else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Off to Spain now. 15 milkings off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hope to get hay cut later today. A couple of showers this morning - waiting till things try up and hopefully dry spell at least until Saturday...and further if I'm lucky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Could they be claiming some sort of squatters rights over it? That type of carry on would really annoy me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

gozunda wrote: »
    Hope to get hay cut later today. A couple of showers this morning - waiting till things try up and hopefully dry spell until Saturday...

3 day hay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Hope to get hay cut later today. A couple of showers this morning - waiting till things try up and hopefully dry spell until Saturday...

There's a nice bit saved round here, mostly small patches though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

3 day hay?

Ah leave on the ground a week. And don't panic. That thunder last weekend has settled things. And there's an unreal breeze for drying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭emaherx

Was just turning right at a junction (with indicator on) and got simultaneously overtaken and undertaken, both vehicles nearly collided in front of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Muckit wrote: »
    Ah leave on the ground a week. And don't panic. That thunder last weekend has settled things. And there's an unreal breeze for drying

Savage breeze. But hay needs at least 5 days and we ain't getting it im afraid. I've a nice bit to knock. I had it in the head to cut Mon morn buy hadnt the balls to match.☺. I'd be raking it up tomorrow afternoon.

MT's Forecast
    SATURDAY will also be sunny with cloudy intervals, some outbreaks of light rain later in the day in west Munster, and warmer with highs reaching 21 C inland.

SUNDAY will become mostly cloudy although it may remain dry in parts of north and east. Rain will spread slowly into all parts of Munster and then south Leinster and Connacht by late afternoon. Rather warm still, and more humid, with highs near 19 C.

MONDAY will have intervals of heavy and in some places thundery rain from early morning to mid-day, some clearing thereafter, and becoming quite warm with the clearance, temperatures rising from 15 C in the rain to 20 C in partly cloudy but humid weather later on.

TUESDAY will bring another round of showers and thunderstorms, warm and humid with highs near 23 C.

Around this time heat will be spreading from France into southern Britain where temperatures could reach mid 30s.

OUTLOOK -- As the heat persists for several days across much of England, heavy thunderstorms could develop in Wales, southwest England and some eastern parts of Ireland, possibly extending as far west as Cork on the south coast too. Details on this will emerge with more clarity but it seems very likely to be quite warm and humid with at least some thunderstorm activity, intensity to be nailed down closer to the time. High temperatures will continue to be in the mid 20s and overnight lows near 17 C in Ireland, and will also continue very hot in England and most of France. A cooling trend will develop around Friday 28th with temperatures returning to more normal values by the weekend of the 29th-30th in a partly cloudy showery west to northwest air flow replacing the heat wave and driving it further east into central Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Going by that, we’ll be digging spuds next week. Yay!

3 day hay?

No but it's a start. Also I've some very light stuff which should do ok I reckon. Re holding out for better weather - I'm being optimistic that the rain wont be enough to wet your handkerchief;)

whelan2 wrote: »
    Could they be claiming some sort of squatters rights over it? That type of carry on would really annoy me

I don't get you? The water comes in off the road in one section, crosses through another mans land (we'll call him Farmer X) & then there's a T-Junction on a second farmers land (Farmer Y) bring water to his stock & the other going to us. The T was removed & a straight joint put in it's place. Cutting us off entirely. Now Farmer Y also has a separate water connection further up the road where the farmyard is & he pays for that himself. But we always paid for both ours & his off the other line. Not to mention that we put it in there in the first place & got permission off Farmer X to go through his land.
    Just lousy. Really damn lousy to do it without saying a word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not wanting to get you revved up but turning off water to stock is pretty mean. Family dispute among relatives years ago and the house residents got in the habit of turning off water to the farm owned by another relative. He had to put a lock on the pumphouse, next to the dwelling.
    I came home from holidays many years ago to see cattle running around the field. Some bright boy had gone into the garage on our farm and turned off the feed coming out of the tank.
    Let the Group Scheme sort it out.

I don't get you? The water comes in off the road in one section, crosses through another mans land (we'll call him Farmer X) & then there's a T-Junction on a second farmers land (Farmer Y) bring water to his stock & the other going to us. The T was removed & a straight joint put in it's place. Cutting us off entirely. Now Farmer Y also has a separate water connection further up the road where the farmyard is & he pays for that himself. But we always paid for both ours & his off the other line. Not to mention that we put it in there in the first place & got permission off Farmer X to go through his land.
    Just lousy. Really damn lousy to do it without saying a word.

Maybe the son didn't know the story with the connection and cut it out while looking for a leak elsewhere?

If it was deliberate though, I'd be putting in my own connection as soon as I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

Maybe the son didn't know the story with the connection and cut it out while looking for a leak elsewhere?

If it was deliberate though, I'd be putting in my own connection as soon as I could.

Exactly, the most likely explanation is the simplest, especially with people you haven’t fallen out with.

That's the only explanation I can come up with, that thicko son didn't know the story & thought we were stealing water off them.
    I've a feeling the middle-man in charge of the group scheme just doesn't want to get into it with the other fella. Will be looking to get our own direct line across the nice neighbours land now.
    But yes, taking water from stock is one of the meanest things to do, not fair on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭kk.man

3 day hay?

I have a good bit to save too. I saved it in 3 days last year but that was different weather. I recon it will take a good 4 this year as crop is much heavyer.
    A few fellas after getting caught here in the SE with two nice drops of rain yesterday. I would have chanced it myself yesterday only for it's given Sunday a washout.

It's better standing for the moment.

That's the only explanation I can come up with, that thicko son didn't know the story & thought we were stealing water off them.
    I've a feeling the middle-man in charge of the group scheme just doesn't want to get into it with the other fella. Will be looking to get our own direct line across the nice neighbours land now.
    But yes, taking water from stock is one of the meanest things to do, not fair on them.

They'll be rightly paid back when youre no longer paying their part of the bill ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Wanted to cut the last of my silage tomorrow, but can't get a baler on Saturday for love nor money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

They'll be rightly paid back when youre no longer paying their part of the bill ...

I had a connection on an outfarm that I was paying the standing charge for (was it E20 every few months) and then whatever water was used on the land. I got a bigger than usual bill and then the next was also big. I had no cattle on the land at the time so decided that I must have a leak and I turned off the water at the meter with the plan of looking for it at a later date. A couple of days later I discovered I'd turned off the water to a neighbouring house too. It turned out whoever put in the meter put it either on the wrong pipe or on the wrong spot on the pipe and I was paying for the house water as well as whatever was used by my cattle on the land. This was during the time when farmers paid for their water and residents were not.

Was one of the hardest jobs I've ever had to convince the county council that the meter was in the wrong place and I was not going to be paying for any more water until they sorted it out - you'd swear I was trying the steal the blessed stuff the way I was treated over the phone. I actually threatened them with a solicitor before they sorted it out by putting another connection for the house.

emaherx wrote: »
    Was just turning right at a junction (with indicator on) and got simultaneously overtaken and undertaken, both vehicles nearly collided in front of me.

https://youtu.be/0AihfHEM6yg

• Advertisement

KatyMac wrote: »
    I had a connection on an outfarm that I was paying the standing charge for (was it E20 every few months) and then whatever water was used on the land. I got a bigger than usual bill and then the next was also big. I had no cattle on the land at the time so decided that I must have a leak and I turned off the water at the meter with the plan of looking for it at a later date. A couple of days later I discovered I'd turned off the water to a neighbouring house too. It turned out whoever put in the meter put it either on the wrong pipe or on the wrong spot on the pipe and I was paying for the house water as well as whatever was used by my cattle on the land. This was during the time when farmers paid for their water and residents were not.

Was one of the hardest jobs I've ever had to convince the county council that the meter was in the wrong place and I was not going to be paying for any more water until they sorted it out - you'd swear I was trying the steal the blessed stuff the way I was treated over the phone. I actually threatened them with a solicitor before they sorted it out by putting another connection for the house.
    We had similar here with the council. They were insisting on me paying a standing charge for reading the house meter and threatening to cut off the water if I didn't pay. It was going on a year when I finally got through to somebody with a splink of sense who waived the previous charges and removed the charge from our account.

You'd want the patience of Jobe to have any dealings with the council. And I'm saying that with an OH who works there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

Young lads rushing home after the Munster final for the evenings milking?

Odelay wrote: »
    Young lads rushing home after the Munster final for the evenings milking?

Or Galways lads rushing out of Leinster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

How much are lads charging for small square baleing? I am thinking of doing some hay next week if the weather plays ball. Mostly rounds but I might get in a lad nearby to bale a few hundred small squares as they are handy at calving. How much is a fair price to give him?? Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

How much are lads charging for small square baleing? I am thinking of doing some hay next week if the weather plays ball. Mostly rounds but I might get in a lad nearby to bale a few hundred small squares as they are handy at calving. How much is a fair price to give him?? Cheers

I think it used to be €1 /bale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Grueller

A local lad to me does it at €0.80/bale. He bales them with a Ford 5000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Thanks, he wants a hundred for himself too. I might bale 300 and keep 200 for myself and give him the hundred for baleing, that would be fair enough? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Thanks, he wants a hundred for himself too. I might bale 300 and keep 200 for myself and give him the hundred for baleing, that would be fair enough? Thanks

Very fair deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Had 15 bales left that was cut in Oct. Needed to shift them to do a job in the yard. Figured they'd hardly last till coming winter and would be damaged handling them anyway Just spent the last 2 hrs opening them and scattering them on floor of the pit. Contractor coming shortly to pick up 20 acres and throw it over them. The smell of baled silage while eating the breakfast on a summers morning. Uuugggh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Bale 400 and get him to put yours in the shed!!!!

• Advertisement

Shiney :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Shiney :D

Best of luck with it...... only a few of us Zetor drivers on this forum. :D

wrangler wrote: »

It's just what we need, no big fancy implements or HP, just a workhorse with a few nicer bits to do what we need. Plus this one is a much much safer.
    Dad is also used to driving a Zetor so I guess it makes sense to continue with it as he'll pick up the controls easier on this. Though was very strange giving him driving lessons yesterday evening on it!! :pac:

I only got a 5 min tutorial so I shall have many questions. I'll warn all of ye about that immediately :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭148multi

Had 15 bales left that was cut in Oct. Needed to shift them to do a job in the yard. Figured they'd hardly last till coming winter and would be damaged handling them anyway Just spent the last 2 hrs opening them and scattering them on floor of the pit. Contractor coming shortly to pick up 20 acres and throw it over them. The smell of baled silage while eating the breakfast on a summers morning. Uuugggh.

Bottle it, will be priceless next December ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Stripping a maize pit in 30'C heat on a summers day in NZ was the worst.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Happy mid Summers day everyone today been the longest (daylight hours) of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Suckler

_Brian wrote: »
    I bought a 40ft when we were building.
    Needs a bit of repair but serious storage space.

It’s been on loan at another site for last two years.

Did you have to arrange transport & offloading etc. separately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Suckler wrote: »
    Did you have to arrange transport & offloading etc. separately?

No when I bought it it was delivered.

“Offloading” was country style.

Guy drove into the yard with container on a 40ft flat.

He unstrapped it

He then proceeded to jump the clutch until he slid it off the trailer slamming it onto the ground. It was his own truck and he was the roughest Agri contractor you’ve ever seen, since gone bust.

Have moved it since with Hitachi120 and 9Ton dumper at each end.

wrangler wrote: »

But how many have drove a Crystal

How’s the Highland Show going Wrangler?
    See Adam Woods is there, some good tweets

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement