Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

But how many have drove a Crystal

Or would admit it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

But how many have drove a Crystal

My dad had a crystal thought it was the bees knees. Got another one of the exact same and it was crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's just what we need, no big fancy implements or HP, just a workhorse with a few nicer bits to do what we need. Plus this one is a much much safer.
    Dad is also used to driving a Zetor so I guess it makes sense to continue with it as he'll pick up the controls easier on this. Though was very strange giving him driving lessons yesterday evening on it!! :pac:

I only got a 5 min tutorial so I shall have many questions. I'll warn all of ye about that immediately :D

All ye need to know is Zetors are better! :D

*runs away quickly before the fight starts ....*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

How’s the Highland Show going Wrangler?
    See Adam Woods is there, some good tweets

We were only there for the day yesterday, left home at 4am and back home at midnight, so f....d to day.
    A good few did the same that were on the plane yesterday morning, some said they booked in early Jan for less than €50 for the two flights and it didn't matter then if they couldn't make it at that price.
    It's a good idea to register at the International Visitor Centre, they have complementary tea/coffee and biscuits there all day and clean loos, but more importantly they give you a badge that gets you into the members area with better restaurants and bars.
    Like Balmoral it was hard to get into see the cattle yesterday, kept telling us to come back later but we eventually got in the back way Great show of cattle but thought some spoiled them by having them too fat.
    Great show of machinery as well, huge stuff and a lot of quad /atv stuff.
    I don't know why but I always like the atmosphere in that show and it's never crowded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭emaherx

gozunda wrote: »

*runs away quickly before the fight starts ....*

That would be a first! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

“This is the biggest animal disease outbreak we’ve ever had on the planet"

https://www.vox.com/2019/6/6/18655460/china-african-swine-fever-pig-ebola

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

wrangler wrote: »
    We were only there for the day yesterday, left home at 4am and back home at midnight, so f....d to day.
    A good few did the same that were on the plane yesterday morning, some said they booked in early Jan for less than €50 for the two flights and it didn't matter then if they couldn't make it at that price.
    It's a good idea to register at the International Visitor Centre, they have complementary tea/coffee and biscuits there all day and clean loos, but more importantly they give you a badge that gets you into the members area with better restaurants and bars.
    Like Balmoral it was hard to get into see the cattle yesterday, kept telling us to come back later but we eventually got in the back way Great show of cattle but thought some spoiled them by having them too fat.
    Great show of machinery as well, huge stuff and a lot of quad /atv stuff.
    I don't know why but I always like the atmosphere in that show and it's never crowded

I guess in the January sale you’ll book flights & an overnight stay for next year so

Must go there & Balmoral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I guess in the January sale you’ll book flights & an overnight stay for next year so

Must go there & Balmoral

We went for three nights in 2017, there'd be a good few Irish in edinburgh too for it and you have to be sociable, ;) .... it took me the week to get over that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Wanted to cut the last of my silage tomorrow, but can't get a baler on Saturday for love nor money.

Got a man with a baler. Happy days. Suppose to turn up around lunch tomorrow. Promised him cash going out the gate. Cash is a great persuader! With that in mind, I've the grass knocked and tedded out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Got a man with a baler. Happy days. Suppose to turn up around lunch tomorrow. Promised him cash going out the gate. Cash is a great persuader! With that in mind, I've the grass knocked and tedded out.

Drove by a neighbour's meadow today, baler using pink plastic, had to pull up and check if it was true that crows don't land on pink or green plastic wrapped bales.

Not a crow to be seen on the ground, the bales or circling overhead.

If someone lost the keys to their jeep what would be the story with getting a new set. Jeep is locked

whelan2 wrote: »
    If someone lost the keys to their jeep what would be the story with getting a new set. Jeep is locked
    Contact Local dealer for the make
    Could be a week or 2

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Local locksmith should be able to make a key that will get into it, but won't be able to start it if there's an immobiliser on it. That's ok if keys are locked in it..... What year is the jeep?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

We thought we had lost the keys yesterday. We found them today. Jeep in airport car park....04 land cruiser. Just wondering what the story would be I'm blaming oh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

We thought we had lost the keys yesterday. We found them today. Jeep in airport car park....04 land cruiser. Just wondering what the story would be I'm blaming oh

Unless you found a crashed 04 Cruiser and bought the ECU, the Immobiliser, the ignition barrel and and hopefully two keys, then you are probably looking at 2000 Euro min.

I managed to throw my Avensis keys into the stove with a handful of rubbish, and those were the options.

• Advertisement

Cheaper to get a spare set made up and have them.

_Brian wrote: »
    Cheaper to get a spare set made up and have them.

How do you get a spare set, no locksmith will make them afaik

If you have tbs original black key, its about 120 euro to get a copy made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Manufacturer will have a code to key pattern on file they can cut a new one.
    Then need a chip put into it coded to your immoboliser by someone with a laptop iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭148multi

I know a locksmith company in athlone that cut keys, you can get very cheap ones that won't operate the central locking or proper one's with the bottons, 200 - 500, the programing in the key isn't that hard, some cars you can do it yourself for the central locking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

A1 at newlands cross just out the N7 off the M50 will cut and code spare keys. 120 to 230 euro depending on make/model and year

A1 at newlands cross just out the N7 off the M50 will cut and code spare keys. 120 to 230 euro depending on make/model and year

Ye i suppose the big problem is when you don't have the keys . I actually had to get a new key for our Ford focus when we bought it last year was 250 euro. We just got a key with no chip in it when we bought it

Ye i suppose the big problem is when you don't have the keys . I actually had to get a new key for our Ford focus when we bought it last year was 250 euro. We just got a key with no chip in it when we bought it

Are the keys in it?
    Do you have glass cover?

Lost keys could be covered on your insurance also.

emaherx wrote: »
    Are the keys in it?
    Do you have glass cover?

Lost keys could be covered on your insurance also.

No we found the keys. Was just wondering what the story would be if we didn't find them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

No we found the keys. Was just wondering what the story would be if we didn't find them

do you keep the keys together ? .. we always split them and leave 1 at home.

orm0nd wrote: »
    do you keep the keys together ? .. we always split them and leave 1 at home.

We only have 1 set for the jeep. Will get another set cut when we get home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Due to a change of circumstances i had to move on to another job again in the last few days, serious mileage done the last month. On the way up at night i noticed temporary signs saying cattle ahead in a few spots put no cattke thankfully except in the middle of a village that was well lit up, however on the way back down today i met a mob of 100-150 head grazing along either side twice all in good order and at each end they had an elderly man sat out reading a book happy out chilling with the cattle all in good order considering the conditions. Seemed a nice way for the two old bucks to put in the day may aswell be sitting outside as sitting in front of the telly however might not be the safest as it was by no means a quiete road even though the cattle seemed used to it. It was also nice to see something different to brahmas again Angus, Hereford, Charolais and i even saw a few fields of Speckled Parks along the way too.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Due to a change of circumstances i had to move on to another job again in the last few days, serious mileage done the last month. On the way up at night i noticed temporary signs saying cattle ahead in a few spots put no cattke thankfully except in the middle of a village that was well lit up, however on the way back down today i met a mob of 100-150 head grazing along either side twice all in good order and at each end they had an elderly man sat out reading a book happy out chilling with the cattle all in good order considering the conditions. Seemed a nice way for the two old bucks to put in the day may aswell be sitting outside as sitting in front of the telly however might not be the safest as it was by no means a quiete road even though the cattle seemed used to it. It was also nice to see something different to brahmas again Angus, Hereford, Charolais and i even saw a few fields of Speckled Parks along the way too.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-04-05/roadside-grazing-in-moyne-shire-drought-lifeline/10970892

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Met about 20 whiteheads in that neck of the woods before christmas along with a few strays further north. This was about an hour north of tamworth and they looked local and the signs were in the same spots as the last time there was patchss of green all around but nothing consistent might be something similar going on there on a smaller scale you wouldnt feel 100 acres coming together on crown land along some roads here.

Better living everyone

Met about 20 whiteheads in that neck of the woods before christmas along with a few strays further north. This was about an hour north of tamworth and they looked local and the signs were in the same spots as the last time there was patchss of green all around but nothing consistent might be something similar going on there on a smaller scale you wouldnt feel 100 acres coming together on crown land along some roads here.

Makes sense with eliminating a fire risk and labour of cutting verges and new age of using less fossil fuels.
    They must have insurance liability sorted out there though. Hopefully it's all on the car drivers when those signs are up.

It's unreal how a drought can change attitudes.

• Advertisement

We only have 1 set for the jeep. Will get another set cut when we get home

Don’t think it’s as simple as getting it cut
    I had to go to Sligo many years ago to get a key for a Mitsubishi lorry for a neighbour

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

OH would be sleeping in the lorry:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Ye's are gone very cosmopolitan lately up there in Leitrim.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/this-man-a-kurdish-refugee-will-line-out-for-leitrim-in-croke-park-1.3114121

Nice win for ye's today against Lancashire.

Ye's are gone very cosmopolitan lately up there in Leitrim.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/this-man-a-kurdish-refugee-will-line-out-for-leitrim-in-croke-park-1.3114121

Nice win for ye's today against Lancashire.

Cosmopolitan?

You need to take a look at the Cavan Cricket team.

D4ChsZn.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Looks like the Pakistani second XI.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Looks like the Pakistani second XI.

Don't be getting into any oul car crashes, or looking to get your appendix out on a match day ...... :D

Guess who needs to pull up his socks - or at least know which side should be out.

If only we could see the toes curling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Nobbies

Guess who needs to pull up his socks - or at least know which side should be out.

if anyone needs a clue? he's going to drive the bus of the cliff edge later in the year. or so he says anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Does he look like Benny Hill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Nobbies

He's a bit of a womaniser apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭kk.man

He always struck me as a fellow who would debate all day with an Oxford university professor but has zero common sence.

This row with his bit of fluff could derail his bid for the PM job.
    Hard to know if it’s a good thin or not.

Quite a large portion of me wants to see the U.K. exit under the worst possible deal, just to see them suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The english love their eccentric characters, but Boris Johnson as prime minister could be the last gasp of a dying empire.

Yeah, but no, but Yeah.

This came to mind at his discomfiture at yesterday's interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsl7-TJtPew&list=RDTsl7-TJtPew&index=1

The english love their eccentric characters, but Boris Johnson as prime minister could be the last gasp of a dying empire.

I heard the opinion of a die hard orange marcher through a third party lately.
    The jist of it was the hatred of Simon Coveney.
    My take on it was they didn't expect Ireland to have such a cool collected negotiation team backed by the EU. That northern Ireland is being made look so foolish and being forgotten about again by Britain. And they are all hacking each other to death.

• Advertisement

I reckon Britain will cut the north loose in order to get the Brexit they are after. It's the border that's the big stopping point, and Arlene and her crew are saying they'll back nothing that would see the North separated a bit from England. But Boris won't give a toss, and will allow the north be aligned with the EU with some sort of sea border or something. Arlene and the unionists will do their nut, the republicans will think it's 32 county time and the place will go to pot up there with hoodlums on the rampage under the unionist/nationalist banner even though they haven't the foggiest what either stand for!

Back in reality, I finished my bales last night. Had 5 balers in the field, 3 wrappers, 2 tractors moving bales out of softer areas to near a lane for loading and a Mrs bringing chips and sandwiches. Operation was called off at 2.30 am, and I was back moving bales at 5. Will have the whole shebang delivered to the yards by this evening. 19.2 bales/acre, 615 bales made yesterday alone. I'm looking forward to going back to work tomorrow for a rest.

19.2 bales to the acre! Jeez, thats some crop.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    19.2 bales to the acre! Jeez, thats some crop.

Fact! Should have been done 3 weeks ago by right but things didn't work out. Not to worry. Was in great order. Was mowed Friday from lunchtime, tedded nearly directly after the mower and raked yesterday morning. Was more haylage than silage by time the balers arrived.

Our grass growth has been phenomenal this year. Nearly as many bales taken in the first cut as from 2 cuts all previous years. Mental. The father is putting it down to the pig slurry and the sulphar in the CAN we spread this year. I'm more in the camp of the mild warm spring time gave things a great chance to get going. All crops around us have been great this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Pig slurry is mighty tack to drive grass, even early in the year.

Our grass growth has been phenomenal this year. Nearly as many bales taken in the first cut as from 2 cuts all previous years. Mental. The father is putting it down to the pig slurry and the sulphar in the CAN we spread this year. I'm more in the camp of the mild warm spring time gave things a great chance to get going. All crops around us have been great this year.

I have as many bales now as I baled in total last year from 2 cuts, there was no additional fertilizer used this year and less ground mowed also.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement